Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zamujasa posted:

that cartoon is incredible

It’s incredible even by Valley’s own high standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ZombieApostate posted:

It's almost as if Manchin/Sinema will come up with new reasons and/or things to be opposed to every time you capitulate to them.

Broward County designed a poo poo ballot and Cunningham couldn't keep his dick in his pants, so we're stuck with Coal McRobberbarron and John McCain But Dumber

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Broward County designed a poo poo ballot and Cunningham couldn't keep his dick in his pants, so we're stuck with Coal McRobberbarron and John McCain But Dumber

Star Trek: Voyager casting is ultimately responsible for a million Americans dying in a pandemic.

If Jeri Ryan doesn’t get the part, her divorce from Jack Ryan doesn’t happen in the way it did and end his candidacy for Senate, handing the race to Barack Obama.

With no Obama presidency, there’s no Trump presidency.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:thunk:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I mean obama didn't really help himself. What a tremendous misuse of potential

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

We tortured some folks

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

Star Trek: Voyager casting is ultimately responsible for a million Americans dying in a pandemic.

If Jeri Ryan doesn’t get the part, her divorce from Jack Ryan doesn’t happen in the way it did and end his candidacy for Senate, handing the race to Barack Obama.

Yes, I'm sure that the republican succeeding Hillary Clinton would have been a sane and responsible administrator. Good call.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Ok cool so paid family leave isn't off the table and Manchin will keep an open mind so that means a bunch more stuff will get cut for sure

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I used variants of that joke a lot and like most its always way better unexplained. :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

boop the snoot posted:

Booster and flu shot scheduled for November 4.

My body is ready to be owned by tha libz.

Getting my booster tomorrow. :hfive:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Milo and POTUS posted:

Change we can believe in!

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Getting my booster tomorrow. :hfive:

Seeing this and hearing from other friends, signed up for booster/flu on Sunday.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Got the booster + flu today and can already feel the titers flowing through my veins.

There was two other folks getting shots at the CVS, otherwise it was completely dead.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Wrennic_26 posted:

Seeing this and hearing from other friends, signed up for booster/flu on Sunday.

Got my booster/flu combo 3 weeks ago and I felt like poo poo the next day. Look like I had a golfball on one of the shots.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

MA-Horus posted:

My friend

You do not need a membership to use the food court

The Gospel of the 1.50 quarter pound hot dog and fountain drink with refill is open to all.

PBUC
This is true even in Costco with food court outside. High School kids don't have membership cards, you just say "I'm here for the food court" and no one cares at all.

Join hands, for the Hot Dog Burps are the way, the light and the truth

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Meanwhile, in Brexit news:

quote:

The UK has said threats to block British boats from French ports in a dispute over fishing rights are a breach of international law and trade agreements.

France said if there is no agreement by 2 November it will also tighten checks on UK boats and trucks, and could target Channel Island energy supplies.

Brexit Minister Lord Frost said the stance was "disappointing".

He said the UK was seeking "urgent clarification" of France's plans.

France was angered by a decision from the UK and Jersey last month to deny fishing licences to dozens of French boats, and argued that it breached the Brexit deal.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Dune movie trip report: pretty neat! I was never a particularly big fan of the book, and to me it felt like the movie trimmed a lot of blubber off of the story. As usual when Villeneuve is involved things turn out pretty awesome.

This scene in particular was just so cool.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

You can get flu and COVID booster at the same time? I swear during the first round there was a questionnaire that asked if I’d had any other vaccines recently, which implies to me I’m not supposed to mix

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

You can get flu and COVID booster at the same time? I swear during the first round there was a questionnaire that asked if I’d had any other vaccines recently, which implies to me I’m not supposed to mix

Yes and yes.

The guidance was, at one time, “no other vaccines within fourteen days”.

Now it’s acceptable to give the coronavirus vaccines at the same time as other routine vaccinations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You can take the flu and COVID vaccines in close proximity or even with each other.

There's even talk that as soon as next year there could be an mRNA vaccine that covers COVID, RSV, and the flu all-in-one.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Well that's good. Been waiting on my booster since I just had the flu vaccine.

Hell yeah gonna go get a Moderna booster. I had Pfizer for 1 and 2, but I heard that mixing a Moderna one gives you more protection than if you just get a Pfizer booster. Anyone know anything about that?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I got my flu shot yesterday and the form asked if I had gotten any other vaccines in the last 14 days, but it was a navy screening form so probably not very up to date.

hosed my arm up for a day but thankfully no flu-like symptoms.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bored As gently caress posted:

Hell yeah gonna go get a Moderna booster. I had Pfizer for 1 and 2, but I heard that mixing a Moderna one gives you more protection than if you just get a Pfizer booster. Anyone know anything about that?

We don’t really know. It’s unlikely to be worse than getting a Pfizer booster, but it’s hard to say that it’s really better.

The NIH study that CDC cited in approving mix & match boosters found higher neutralizing antibody titers in participants who got Moderna boosters.

So that’s great, but there are a few things about that.

This was a relatively small study, only about fifty people per combination. Also, these are just antibody titers. While there is a very reasonable presumption that more antibodies in the average person imply fewer people getting sick, or better outcomes for those who do, we would of course prefer to see results in the field.

The final and perhaps most important note is that this study used boosters with one hundred micrograms of the active ingredient, same as shot one and two of the primary series. Moderna’s booster trial, and the dose that has been approved for general administration, is half that, fifty micrograms.

Now that’s still more than Pfizer’s dose has ever been (thirty micrograms), but you do get into issues of apples versus oranges. The Moderna and Pfizer mRNA sequences produce structurally indistinguishable proteins, but they use different code to get there. For example, one strand of mRNA can use cellular machinery to make many spikes. Maybe Pfizer’s squeeze out more spikes per strand. Their lipid nanoparticle formulas are proprietary and unique. Maybe Pfizer’s is a relative force multiplier, giving their mRNA strands a better shot at penetrating cellular defenses and doings its job.

Maybe these things bridge the microgram gap. Maybe they widen it. We don’t have enough data to say.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 28, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

boop the snoot posted:

Booster and flu shot scheduled for November 4.

My body is ready to be owned by tha libz.

I've had both! MOAR OHNED THEN THOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Dune movie trip report: pretty neat! I was never a particularly big fan of the book, and to me it felt like the movie trimmed a lot of blubber off of the story. As usual when Villeneuve is involved things turn out pretty awesome.

This scene in particular was just so cool.

Really glad my gf and I saw it on IMAX. I think the story was as well told as it could be in film and was surprisingly well streamlined. The cinematography, set design, costume design, and soundtrack absolutely nailed the stagnant, ossified, deeply ancient future feeling of the book.

The sardaukar war chant was great but I loved how the Atreides battle theme mixed the very middle eastern sound style with highlander bagpipes.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Armorer and AD from Rust are probably hosed. The sheriff involved is saying the focus is on those two, and charges are likely going to be on them.

Still hoping the unions throw Baldwin out, revoke his SAG card, some kind of industry punishment for his own negligence.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Still hoping the unions throw Baldwin out, revoke his SAG card, some kind of industry punishment for his own negligence.

Why?

It’s a really hardline precedent for a labor union to kick people out and (I imagine) opens them up to a legal dispute. Incidents like this are among the reason labor unions exist. It would be a different story if Baldwin hunted down and murdered a person, but his behavior as an actor with the forearm sounds like it was not terribly out of line with how other actors have performed when they had a competent crew.

If we find direct safety cuts originate from Baldwin as producer, that’s a different overarching story, but still labor union expulsion is a big deal.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/Bos_Solidarity/status/1450501112281317378

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

mlmp08 posted:

Why?

It’s a really hardline precedent for a labor union to kick people out and (I imagine) opens them up to a legal dispute. Incidents like this are among the reason labor unions exist. It would be a different story if Baldwin hunted down and murdered a person, but his behavior as an actor with the forearm sounds like it was not terribly out of line with how other actors have performed when they had a competent crew.

If we find direct safety cuts originate from Baldwin as producer, that’s a different overarching story, but still labor union expulsion is a big deal.

Because he was a producer on it. He put his own money into the shoot. When scabs were brought in to fill shoes, and a cheap, inexperienced armorer was hired, he could have stepped in and thrown more of his Boss Baby money at it to ensure a properly trained and experienced crew.

He also could have, I don't know, maybe not pointed the gun directly at people, or just checked it first. It is not difficult to check a gun for live rounds, he was being complacent and it lead to tragedy.

Also because we don't need more Boss Baby movies.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It would weaken the entire union to argue that anyone who both produces and acts in the same production forfeits their membership if there is a safety incident.

It would also weaken the whole union to tell actors that they will be expelled if, even after an armorer and/or prop master prepares and clears a prop weapon or other special effect device, the actors are not also clearing and and certifying the safety, independently.

Some unions are next-level to the point of being bad and liars (lookin’ at cop unions), but unions have to defend unlikeable asses like Baldwin rather than weaken the union’s protections of decent workers. There are means to improve future safety on work sites other than throwing away worker protections and representation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Pelosi has put the senate infrastructure bill up for a house vote today. This either means that Manchin and Sinema agreed to the other bill that has been watered down to poo poo or it's completely dead and they're moving on to infrastructure.

Lets stop arguing about idiot actors doing idiot things and read this really good twitter thread instead:

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1453552780002607105

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I still think the complacency on set needs some form of punishment for the principal money folk. Cheaping out on essential safety staff is but one of many ways producers save their money.

They didn't even have an ambulance or paramedic crew on set for this. That should be strike loving one against Baldwin and the money fucks, and taking their union cards away would be a good way to drive the point home that production was being irresponsible with personnel safety, because they wanted to save a loving dime.

I don't think Baldwin deserves representation and protection by the union because he was literally a money man on set, and his decisions impact the safety of everyone on set.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

mlmp08 posted:

Some unions are next-level to the point of being bad and liars (lookin’ at cop unions), but unions have to defend unlikeable asses like Baldwin rather than weaken the union’s protections of decent workers. There are means to improve future safety on work sites other than throwing away worker protections and representation.

Unions have legal obligations to their members as well. Not taking obvious actions in the interests of their members opens them up to lawsuits.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

lightpole posted:

Unions have legal obligations to their members as well. Not taking obvious actions in the interests of their members opens them up to lawsuits.

This.

If a union electric shop told their employees to work without safety equipment (for the "good of the job budget"), their employees would rightly tell them to gently caress off.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

It would weaken the entire union to argue that anyone who both produces and acts in the same production forfeits their membership if there is a safety incident.

It would also weaken the whole union to tell actors that they will be expelled if, even after an armorer and/or prop master prepares and clears a prop weapon or other special effect device, the actors are not also clearing and and certifying the safety, independently.

Maybe they could throw him out of the union for hiring scabs.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This.

If a union electric shop told their employees to work without safety equipment (for the "good of the job budget"), their employees would rightly tell them to gently caress off.

My point is that the process to kick someone out is much more methodical and deliberate than your knee-jerk reaction. They have standards and contracts to follow so objectivity can be established. I'm not advocating for anything here, just saying the union will take their time and try to take the right action in support of their members, whatever that may be.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

Maybe they could throw him out of the union for hiring scabs.

That would make more karmic sense than going after the actor for safety, but also (probably) doesn’t pass legal muster.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pelosi has put the senate infrastructure bill up for a house vote today. This either means that Manchin and Sinema agreed to the other bill that has been watered down to poo poo or it's completely dead and they're moving on to infrastructure.

My general read is that this is a Biden push. Biden's headed on an overseas trip and he's been going back/forth constantly trying to figure out what everyone can deal with. So this morning, Biden put out this "framework":

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1453708459455782922?t=YBz7-dyqjVdEC-ygKl5gQg&s=19

And so, Biden/Pelosi want a vote on the classic infrastructure bill (BIF), both so it doesn't melt down when Biden leaves the country and also a likely boost to the Virginia Governor race. House progressives, pissed that a lot of good poo poo is getting pulled from reconciliation due to Girl/CoalBoss, remain pissed and are figuring out if they still want to hold back votes from the classic infrastructure bill. There's *still* no pen-on-paper for a reconciliation bill and Sinemanchine can still kill it.

It's absolutely true that there's been ~$4-5T of spending already that is a direct result of Democrats taking Congress, so they haven't done nothing like House Progressives are saying, nor is there zero of their priorities in the Sinemanchized reconciliation bill. But Omar is completely loving right - a lot of the good poo poo got pulled off from reconciliation due to simple lobbying of Democrats saying one thing to get elected, then following the corporate money.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

lightpole posted:

My point is that the process to kick someone out is much more methodical and deliberate than your knee-jerk reaction. They have standards and contracts to follow so objectivity can be established. I'm not advocating for anything here, just saying the union will take their time and try to take the right action in support of their members, whatever that may be.

I feel like they could hold a vote and resolve this with the community deciding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Omar absolutely right on this