Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm up to Retro Reviews after Buddy Wayne's passing.

I forgot how good the Chio Alvarez/Rey Mysterio story was. :unsmith:

Edit: the battle royal kendo stick story as well.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dave dropping one of the worst opinions he's ever had on Observer Radio.
He didn't like the Dark Order/Elite match.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

This is the real thing that gets Dave canceled dammit

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
I don't mind results spoilers but Dave is literally doing a move-by-move breakdown of the Danielson/Kingston match and it's like, why.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dave’s brain is in the west coast which already treats time as optional but he’s also Not Normal so time has even less meaning.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

El Generico posted:

Kept you waiting, huh? Did I already make that joke? Probably.

Bryan and Vinny vs. Nitro and Russo - WCW Review with Video - Nov 22nd 1999

"Paisley is The Outsiders!"

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I don't mind results spoilers but Dave is literally doing a move-by-move breakdown of the Danielson/Kingston match and it's like, why.

have you read his match reviews

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Oh Dave, not realizing Cody's "when I had his arms hooked, I could've done something much worse" line was referencing the Pedigree lol

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Oh Dave, not realizing Cody's "when I had his arms hooked, I could've done something much worse" line was referencing the Pedigree lol

I thought he meant he could have just peed drenching his opponent in a humiliating sog

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

I thought he was going to do it as soon as he got him hooked, it was that obvious a shot.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Thanks always for these! It's the only way I learn about WCW.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Dave marking out for Jon Moxley morphing into Terry Funk and telling old Terry Funk stories was great stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Eat My Fuc posted:

I thought he meant he could have just peed drenching his opponent in a humiliating sog

Oh that's ridiculous... clearly he thought Cody was gonna grab a banana and mush it into Black's hair!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Oh that's ridiculous... clearly he thought Cody was gonna grab a banana and mush it into Black's hair!

the Gorilla Monsoon Special

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

HidaO-Win posted:

Dave marking out for Jon Moxley morphing into Terry Funk and telling old Terry Funk stories was great stuff.
I'm behind on the podcast but the story of Terry sending his fangirls to track down Dave at a Tokyo bar is always good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The drop in Vinny’s enthusiasm as he goes from Dynamite to NXT is very funny.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://i.imgur.com/QOwpp4y.mp4

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This NXT review... we have reached retro WCW and TNA levels of Vinny rage and apathy. I have missed this. He has given up on this and its awesome.

I broke down crying at him ranting over how there were two camera cuts during an Io Shirai moonsault while she was still in mid air.

The NXT reviews are now must listen appointments.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The best part of this week's NXT talk is Bryan's been insisting this was a good show and absolutely no-one is going with him on it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

njsykora posted:

The best part of this week's NXT talk is Bryan's been insisting this was a good show and absolutely no-one is going with him on it.

You could hear a little part of him die when Vinny IMMEDIATELY started burying the NXT show, haha

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Dave didn't have much to add to the latest Dark Side. At first I was surprised that they didn't tell the whole Donahue thing but the whole episode quickly becomes the Jerry McDevitt show and he's honestly kind of enjoyable to listen to. I was surprised they got him on the show but actually he's basically doing another victory lap.

No matter though because I'm sure we'll get a show from Dave about it this weekend.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I loved that Dave can't help but still be Dave in that DSotR ep.

"I'm Dave Meltzer. I've been an editor for 49 years. No, 50 years. Fifty years."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

lol

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Honestly surprised his living room floor isn't covered with papers too.

You know how in movies/tv they always portray the nutcase conspiracy theorist living in home filled wall to wall with boxes upon boxes of files? That's what I imagine Dave's house to look it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the king on his throne

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

You know how in movies/tv they always portray the nutcase conspiracy theorist living in home filled wall to wall with boxes upon boxes of files? That's what I imagine Dave's house to look it.

"Don Muraco! Don Muraco! I look in the pile of papers on the floor for 1985 but this whole pile is Don Muraco!! "

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Paper upon paper is pinned to every available surface, with lengths of string connecting each one. At the centre, where all the documents lead to is a piece of paper with one simple question: "who is Kay Fabian?"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

how big must that shirt be to hide the arms

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

that's the forehead of a deathmatch wrestler

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

At first I just assumed the stone wall behind him was stacks of paper.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm gonna tell all my friends this is the cover of the next Henry Rollins stand-up.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

edogawa rando posted:

Paper upon paper is pinned to every available surface, with lengths of string connecting each one. At the centre, where all the documents lead to is a piece of paper with one simple question: "who is Kay Fabian?"

he's the British guy who was friends with Miro and wears a box over his head.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Interesting direction to take "The Wrestler" sequel.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FakePoet posted:

Interesting direction to take "The Wrestler" sequel.

Now I'm trying to imagine a "The Wrestler" DVD Bonus Feature where the director tried to get Dave to talk about Randy The Ram as if he was a real wrestler, and Dave short-circuiting because he's unable to process such a request.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't there some Fight at an SMW fan week because some fan kept like asking Dave who was better Frank Gotch or Bruiser Brody and Dave couldn't process it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Three minutes into this Mox interview and it's already absolutely incredible.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I didn't agree with any of Lance's points at all but it was nice to hear Bryan get told to shut up.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
usually agree with or at least see where lance is coming from but boy is he being selectively critical and outright fallacious about the dynamite main event

i'd challenge him to find another human being who arrived at the conclusion that hangman was a coward and a bad friend because he hid in a costume, stood around while his friends got beat up, and then attacked matt jackson from behind rather than a smart guy who planned ahead with his friends to thwart the heels. like, with hindsight you could certainly argue the former but ironically it sounds exactly like whining a heel would do after they got outsmarted and made to look like fools so maybe kenny should just take this material from lance for his next promo.

he says they should've just done a normal match and had hangman just... run out to save them. then he would've liked it, and that means all the people who hated it would've also liked it, and that supposedly means more people would've liked it overall, and so it would be better, ignoring how much the clip of hangman taking off the stay-puft head blew up on twitter outside of wrestling circles, and how we're still talking about it days later. people are rightfully derisive of WWE's philosophy on Creating Moments but it is absolutely an effective strategy at garnering outside awareness and interest even if for most people it's just them seeing a 10 second clip on twitter and the WWE problem is when you tune in for the bits inbetween The Moments it's mostly dreadful.

also bryan is very bad at having construction conversation and arguing

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The one point where I feel like you can maybe argue they gilded the lily a bit was Colt getting the Shield powerbomb on the proton packs. Like, that should be the point Hangman intervenes cuz why would he just let Colt get loving wrecked?