Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

AnnoyBot posted:

The Oldwing must be burning oil like crazy because it doesn't leak a drop on the driveway but I found it 1.5qt low this morning. That explains why the oil light was on at idle I guess. It doesn't smoke except when it's been sitting a very long time, like > 2 months, so I'm not sure what's up. Valve guides?

I had an old BMW 320i with around 200,000 miles on it once upon a time. It also needed valve guides. The smoke from worn valve guides only appears as you ride it, under certain engine loading conditions. You can't see it under idle. You might be able to see it if you rev the engine, and as the engine slows down from the peak of its rev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Slide Hammer posted:

I had an old BMW 320i with around 200,000 miles on it once upon a time. It also needed valve guides. The smoke from worn valve guides only appears as you ride it, under certain engine loading conditions. You can't see it under idle. You might be able to see it if you rev the engine, and as the engine slows down from the peak of its rev.

Yeah on cars it's usually apparent on startup and when pulling away from a stop after some amount of time running at speed.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Instead of taking what might be the last ride of the year, I got to try and chase down some leaks. I removed the slave cylinder and cleaned and replaced with a new seal and metal piston. Can't really tell if the oil seal is leaking. Realized on removal there was no gasket and since I didn't have one, I'm going to go to the parts store in the next few rainy days and get a few sheets to cut my own out.

Didn't even find the coolant leak. Since things don't leak up, I was thinking it might be the overflow bottle. It's right above where I noticed it pouring onto the left rear exhaust collector. Since I planned on removing it so I could clean it and inspect the hoses and connections anyway, I'm going to get at that next.

While looking at the waterpump, I noticed lots of gunk and buildup. So I'm going to buy some heavy duty degreaser and clean the whole area, then try to pin down the leak location.

Further in my plans are getting all new fuel lines. When I attack that and show you guys the pictures I fully expect gasps and anger at me riding it. Sooooo many hose clamps and small patches.

I also get to replace fork seals and go over both front brake calipers again before spring. And for the finale! Unracking the carbs and going over them! Wheeee!

:a2m:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Clean everything first and then throw some talcum powder on it and see where it gets wet when you run it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Took DRZ to the shop to finally get safety cert. Got the call that it passed w/flying colours, just need to pick it up and get the stickers at some point now.

Have you guys to thank for advice and such, I'd probably still be mucking in bearings if I didn't have people to bounce questions off of. Cheers!

Meanwhile the Ninja is getting a chain lube and a quick wipedown and going into storage this afternoon. See you next spring, little buddy!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

see where it gets wet when you run it.
hey buddy the advrider.txt thread is thatta way

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
New seat for the Trail 90. Old one was a bit janky and the padding was bottoming out frequently.

Interesting that this was a genuine Honda part with a manufacturing date of Feb 23, 2021. I wonder if they use the same seat on the CT125.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Honda is still making new parts for the trail and cub series. The former because it’s used as a mail delivery vehicle in more than a few places, and the latter because they are the best selling vehicle on the planet

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
Well I finally got around to installing the new engine mount bolt on the N650. Took it for a quick spin and everything seemed fined

I also learned the clear visor that came with my helmet sucks. It started to fog almost immediately. I’m just gonna put the tinted one back on and go back to using safety glasses with the visor up when it’s dark till I can be bothered to put some kinda anti fog stuff on it. That or just get a pin lock visor.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

On that note, is there a way to repair a pin lock visor? I mean, I don't even know if it's a feature of the visor or the helmet. Mine has been broken for years now, such that it only has the fully closed, half-raised, and fully-raised positions.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Sounds like an issue with the detents on the helmet being worn or just crap, rather than the visor. What helmet is it?

Although honestly if you can describe an issue with your helmet as "years" old then the helmet is older than that and probably due for replacement anyway.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

It's an HJC CL-15. I've had lower-numbered CL models in the past and the pin lock has never failed on those. It's 3 years old, not quite due for replacement yet.

Although, you just gave me an idea to compare the visor mechanism on the side of the helmet to my older helmets (which I keep around).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I think that means your visor has quite high latency, could that be the problem?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slide Hammer posted:

It's an HJC CL-15. I've had lower-numbered CL models in the past and the pin lock has never failed on those. It's 3 years old, not quite due for replacement yet.

Although, you just gave me an idea to compare the visor mechanism on the side of the helmet to my older helmets (which I keep around).

The CL-15 is pretty old - reviews on it are from like 2009, and HJC doesn't keep their models around for years and years. Is it three years from when you bought it or three years from when it was made? If you haven't, lift up the helmet liner and check the production date on the shell.

Sitting unused on the shelf for years wouldn't affect the visor pivots, but it sure could have aged out the foam. It might be more due for replacement than you thought.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Oops, I made a mistake. It's the CL-17; the CL-15 was my previous helmet model. I do know that I bought it new just in 2018.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh gotcha sorry. Yeah, the detents in the visor pivots might be worn, or the springs that push on the retainer mechanisms could be looser than they ought to be. Check both the visor and the retainers for wear, I guess?

E: Also I'd say it's still worth a look at the production date.

Phy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 29, 2021

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Changed the gear oil in the Bantam. Pulled the side cover to take a look at the primary chain and it looks brand new.

The pitting on the clutch basket was from when this engine sat in pieces for 40+ years.

Bonus video of it turning over.

https://imgur.com/hbwEeB8

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Went to fill up the tires before heading out, and the front one of these suckers is leaking:

I'm thinking it's the spring on the cap end, since it starts going when I took it off. Ah well. Fun while it lasted.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

helno posted:

Changed the gear oil in the Bantam. Pulled the side cover to take a look at the primary chain and it looks brand new.

The pitting on the clutch basket was from when this engine sat in pieces for 40+ years.

Bonus video of it turning over.

https://imgur.com/hbwEeB8

The dirt nerd in me is cringing at the master link clip being the wrong way around but I’m sure the oil isn’t viscous enough to pull it off

Carry on

There is something about that seafoam green “1950’s dinner plate” paint aesthetic that is absolutely perfect for old bikes.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The dirt nerd in me is cringing at the master link clip being the wrong way around but I’m sure the oil isn’t viscous enough to pull it off

Carry on

There is something about that seafoam green “1950’s dinner plate” paint aesthetic that is absolutely perfect for old bikes.

I'll flip it around next time if I remember.

The colour is Mist green and apparently it was not very consistent as it was mixed in day batches out of WW2 surplus green paint.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

helno posted:

Ooh, is that the spring you wind up to make it go?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Can you please make a video of honking the horn as you ride past the camera. Preferably in some sort of pastoral setting with a hedgerow

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

:lol:

Dog Case posted:

Can you please make a video of honking the horn as you ride past the camera. Preferably in some sort of pastoral setting with a hedgerow

While dressed as a 1950's coal worker or farmer, with the little hat and stuff.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I put up some shelves in the basement so I could have a place to store the parts I dismantle from my oil burning 88 tenere.

I'm starting with removing the airbox, carbs, carb boots + exhaust.

Airbox went fine, everything looked good on it. All the rubber, air passages and hose clamps was in good nick.

The carbs was a little more tricky. I had to pop them them out of the carb boots, then remove the carb boots and loosen the oil cooler to move away the oil lines so I could wiggle it out towards the exhaust side.

I had noted a build up of wet crud on the high rpm carb.

And yup, micro cracks on both carb boots. No complete tears as I could see.

The cracks are not all the way around, but the the one for the high rpm carb also had some cracks below the hose clamp not visible in this picture.

Not quite sure what I want to do with them really. New boots are available, but 122 usb/ 106 euro a pop. For now I've reinforced the cracked areas with liquid silicone gasket.

Now, remember these? The exhaust bolts where zero of the four was actually factory correct?

I had soaked them 4-5 times over a period of 2 weeks. and getting them off was an non event.
Even the one with the regular bolt has treads that looks okay. I'll order a stud and 4 of the correct capped nuts.

Lots of carbon build up on both exhaust ports.

The header was actually in decent nick. I'll get the rust off, and hit it high temp rust converter/sealer.

There are aftermarket stainless ones available too.

The tragic home brew slip on that both melts stock indicators and prevents side luggage racks to be mounted will be replaced, most likely by an Arrow paris-dakar replica.

Big Tank is big. (23Litres, 6 us gallon)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Put the Ninja away for the season. The DRZ is easy to pull out so I haven’t winterized it yet, that’s just where it lives year round. Also pleasantly surprised with how much room I have in the shed with both bikes stowed. Gives me a little hope that I can do bike stuff requiring cracking into the engine block, like valve clearance and installing the kickstart, this winter

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whoa I don’t think I’ve ever seen an acerbis tank that isn’t that translucent beige color. I really like yours

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I forgot his username, (elector nerdlinger?) but the Aussie guy with a DR650 has a matte black one as well. It definitely looks so much better. The translucent ones are gross.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks. I agree w/r/t looks. The translucent ones look out of place but they do have the distinct advantage that you can see your fuel level by just looking down. It’s probably way more of a thing if you’re seriously going offroad for unknown amounts of time and don’t have a reserve canister. For city riding I’m doing it’ll be a non-issue and I went with black for vanity’s sake :haw:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

LimaBiker posted:

If only it had as much power as a wound spring.

Dog Case posted:

Best I can do is drag racing a pitbike.

https://mechanicalsympathy.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/MVI_4615.mp4

My old mans yard was reasonably pastoral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBA7sLNguZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiEr-Ps4hEk

Slavvy posted:

:lol:

While dressed as a 1950's coal worker or farmer, with the little hat and stuff.

My late father certainly looked like he was rolling in coal in the video he made about this bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9pw_sJDCyU

To stay on topic I cleaned the exhaust and air filter today. Not as much carbon as I was expecting.

While scrubbing carbon I noticed that the band clamp that connects the muffler and exhaust header has a tiny BSA logo stamped into it.

It's put away for the winter now. Should get a few more weeks out of the trail 90.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I haven't seen my bike in a month. The inverter for it finally arrived from Italy but they're doing special firmware poo poo for it, blah.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Got bored after work so decided to take a stab at starting the kickstart installation.

I was pleased to not see chunks of metal floating around, so points in favour of bulletproof engine for now.

While I’m in here probably a good idea to inspect the clutch. Now if only I knew what a burned out clutch looks like. Soliciting opinions? If I had to GUESS at what a burned clutch looks like this might be it? Though honestly the actual friction parts look fine to me? I dunno, I defer to thread opinion since I’ve done a clutch job approximately zero times.

But just a guess. It looks a little browner than I’d expect maybe? If I have to order a replacement set now’s probably the time, before I put the new gasket on.

I don’t think I have the right tool to hold the basket so I can remove the bent over tab and nut so I think my work is done for the evening, and I’m probably off to Amazon shortly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That clutch looks immaculate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A clutch is burned out when the friction material (or the metal discs, in really bad cases) is worn too thin.

Yours looks perfectly fine to me -- there aren't even any scratches on the friction material. If you want to be sure, the manual should have specifications for the minimum acceptable thickness. Get a micrometer or good quality caliper and measure it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
on one hand, good for you for not being afraid to just tear into stuff to learn how it goes together

on the other hand, at some point doing that you are going to be a poster child for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nah nah for sure, if it’s really clean then I’m not touching it :)

If anything I’m a poster child for trying to replace true happiness with unnecessary things.

I actually really kind of wanted to crack the engine just to see the state it was in, not that I’m really qualified to determine at first glance. The kickstart thing seems really easy, to be honest, just swapping and adding parts.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also I'm getting old and life's too short not to indulge in cracking an engine to see what's inside :3:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

If anything I’m a poster child for trying to replace true happiness with unnecessary things.

Hell, same

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Martytoof posted:

Also I'm getting old and life's too short not to indulge in cracking an engine to see what's inside :3:

This is like reason #2 for why thumpers are supreme.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I once walked a mate through taking apart an air cooled 2t thumper, it took all of half an hour and at the end he was like 'is that all that's in there??'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I once walked a mate through taking apart an air cooled 2t thumper, it took all of half an hour and at the end he was like 'is that all that's in there??'

I knew what was in here and still somehow it seemed sparse once I popped the cover.