Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Fun thing that happened last night while facing back-to-back invasions was I got the "Don't Mind Me" achievement. The description reads "While using Aether as Colt, kill 3 enemies without alerting nearby enemies." However, I have never gotten that one on any run yet. I don't remember what the invading Juliana was using, it was one of my more panicky fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I would enjoy a hard difficulty in this game, I think:

No silenced weapon modifiers, so if you want a stealth gun, the nailgun is it. Silenced LIMP with even a couple good slotted rather invalidates Nexus's entire thing.
Julianna will invade at any time or place. Multiple invasions in a map if you dawdle.
Some kind of limit on manifesting gear. Like... every loadout piece costs some residium, or some other daily budget. Using the same items multiple times increases the use cost, resets with the loop. Blue guns would have a role of being cheap gear that doesn't jam. (Did anyone even encounter the jamming mechanic?) Strategize when and where to bring your strong trinkets/powers in a day.
More enemy/turret randomization. I've seen these setpiece convos a dozen times, mix up the enemy patrols and surprise me. Or just remove hackable turrets altogether, they 100% are more a tool for me to use than a deterrent. Or put some limit on the hackamajig. Limited uses, or very slow recharge. Or just break hacks if you break LOS.
No random purple trinkets, hide best gear guaranteed drops behind doing specific side activities. Pact of Smoke, all of Charlie's side games, Pick Reksy, Amador, etc etc. Or the whole side area for the Verso. Or even for killing Visionaries in specific ways. Doing these things and getting trash because some random Eternalists dropped one earlier is disheartening.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
We need a Ricky Jay Memorial Deathloop ruleset.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Grayshift posted:

(Did anyone even encounter the jamming mechanic?)

Literally only my first day. After that I never picked up another white, except for a rapier once to snipe the nullifier in Fathoms of Terror.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dr Christmas posted:

Fun thing that happened last night while facing back-to-back invasions was I got the "Don't Mind Me" achievement. The description reads "While using Aether as Colt, kill 3 enemies without alerting nearby enemies." However, I have never gotten that one on any run yet. I don't remember what the invading Juliana was using, it was one of my more panicky fights.

Whenever I tried to get that one I just couldn't for whatever reason, so I finally looked up to see what I was doing wrong and I saw a bunch of people saying you need to use Aether with no enhancements active on the slab (so no Flicker or Ghost or anything like that). So I dropped those off, tried it and immediately the achievement popped - weird thing since as far as I know no other achievements required an unupgraded slab to achieve, and maybe they patched it out since, but it might be that you just happened to have Aether equipped this time with no upgrades active?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I actually had an invading Juliana pop that trophy for me as she killed me while cloaked :mad:

They've since patched that bug out.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I think my favorite trinket combo so far gives you super speed, lets you run silently, extra melee strength, and heals you on melee kills. No guns needed and you can just run naked through even the hardest areas and have no issue as long as you keep knifing dudes fast enough.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I finished the main story. I had fun but I didn’t love it. Blink, nexus, explosive rifle just killed all the guys.

I want Spy’s vs Mercs for multiplayer, offensive gets powers, defense gets guns.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

I think my favorite trinket combo so far gives you super speed, lets you run silently, extra melee strength, and heals you on melee kills. No guns needed and you can just run naked through even the hardest areas and have no issue as long as you keep knifing dudes fast enough.

you don't need a knife when you add the trinket that lets you just smash into people with your face.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jerusalem posted:

Whenever I tried to get that one I just couldn't for whatever reason, so I finally looked up to see what I was doing wrong and I saw a bunch of people saying you need to use Aether with no enhancements active on the slab (so no Flicker or Ghost or anything like that). So I dropped those off, tried it and immediately the achievement popped - weird thing since as far as I know no other achievements required an unupgraded slab to achieve, and maybe they patched it out since, but it might be that you just happened to have Aether equipped this time with no upgrades active?

Anti-Hero posted:

I actually had an invading Juliana pop that trophy for me as she killed me while cloaked :mad:

They've since patched that bug out.

I had the stealth achievement pop for throwing a grenade into a group of enemies, then popping Aether before it went off. And after they said they fixed the bug with Julianna getting achievements based on what Colt's doing, I got the Nexus achievement while I was just staring down scope at an obscured Colt ping.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

This event where you invade Arkane Lyon devs is great. They are very good, I've only managed one win so far.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Is that a PC only event? Looks like fun!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mike the TV posted:

We need a Ricky Jay Memorial Deathloop ruleset.

:getin:

quote:

Chunnel's Ricky Jay Memorial Deathloop Design

The object of this Design is to generate self-imposed tactical restrictions in Deathloop in order to shake up the gameplay.

The way it works: You take a deck of cards, shuffle it and draw until you break 21. Once you've broken 21, look at your assembled hand. Impose the restrictions of the numbers you drew PLUS the suits you drew. If one effect is canceled by another, good for you! If you have multiples, use the next restriction down. Or don't, nobody's keeping score. Whether you use the restrictions for each phase or draw a new hand with each loop is up to you.

Suits:

Clubs- Cannot use Havoc slab.

Spades- Cannot use Aether slab.

Diamonds- Cannot use silenced weapons.

Hearts- Cannot use Nexus slab.

Cards:

Ace- SPARTA SPECIAL: Any idle enemy seen on a ledge or cliff must be kicked off to their death. Failure to do so means you go off the cliff instead.

2- Any Visionary, including Julianna, must die by the blade. Failure means you kill yourself once.

3- You are limited to one weapon trinket per equipped weapon.

4- Cannot use Hack tool on gun placements / cameras.

5- SIMPLE COLT MODE: Cannot use Fourpounder, Pepper Mill, Scoped Rifle, or Automatic Shotgun variants.

6- SUBSISTENCE MODE: You must start without weapons beyond the machete.

7- JUST THE SLABS, MA'AM : Remove any upgrades from equipped slabs.

8- DEATH(LOOP) WISH MODE aka DOOMCOLT: Once combat begins, you cannot take cover. Keep moving and keep shooting.

9- PLAIN JANE MODE: Cannot use Gold or Purple-caliber weapons.

10- Cannot use Double Jump trinket.

Jack - Cannot use Karnesis Slab.

Queen - Cannot use Shift slab.

King- BUSHIDO SPECIAL: If you are spotted (red status), you must kill yourself once. Does not apply to being spotted by Julianna.

On drawing exactly 21, you're enrolled in the MIDSOMMAR SPECIAL: If you die once as Colt, you are honor bound to immediately throw yourself from the closest high ledge repeatedly until the loop resets. (Yes, this includes the alert from a falling enemy. An ace-king 21 will compel you to boot an enemy to their death and then follow them. That's literally the hand that fate dealt you.)

OPTIONAL RULES - Can only infuse one trinket OR gun per drawn suit per draw / Can only infuse on completion of full day / Sacrifice equipped equipment (up to and including slab upgrades) when killed.

This is a slight adaptation from the original design - I shuffled in the silenced weapon exclusion because people complain about using them.

Also this is less in the spirit of Bushido than of Oulipo - meaning, it's just a game. If a rule prevents fun, break it.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 27, 2021

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I've skipped over a lot of this thread because I don't want to accidentally spoil myself, so I've missed reviews if there are any. Is the general consensus that the game is good or just kinda middling?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I think it’s good if you don’t play a lot of immersive sims, middling if you do.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I played Prey 3 times and Dishonored 1+2 at least that many times and I got bored with Deathloop and quit about 25 hours in, feeling totally uninterested in beating it or doing the same boring tasks over and over again. If you're not a huge Prey fan and you just want a decent FPS it's fine and worth playing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oldstench posted:

I've skipped over a lot of this thread because I don't want to accidentally spoil myself, so I've missed reviews if there are any. Is the general consensus that the game is good or just kinda middling?
It's a satisfying shooter, way smaller arsenal than Far Cry but with far better yeets / melee. Writing is comedy-heavy and like an uncommonly large portion of games in 2021, the humor actually works (it's also pretty black, as in dark). Overall I would say it's probably Arkane's weakest overall package to date. But it's still worth playing. Honestly I'd say you're good waiting for the inevitable Black Friday sale, but it's not a "wait til it's 95% off" sort of thing, you know? It's not Cyberpunk.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oldstench posted:

It's down to 45% off or something at greenmangaming just now if that helps, which feels about right to me

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's down to 45% off or something at greenmangaming just now if that helps, which feels about right to me

Yeah that's a good deal

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I've heard that it takes a very powerful computer to play for some reason. Is that still how it is? I'm rocking a 6 year old i5-6600K. Will I be in stutter-hell?

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Oldstench posted:

I've heard that it takes a very powerful computer to play for some reason. Is that still how it is? I'm rocking a 6 year old i5-6600K. Will I be in stutter-hell?

Ran it on an i5 4570 with a GTX1060 with mostly steady 60fps via the game's adaptive downscaling. Worked like a charm and looked acceptable. Big thing for this game seems to be actually video memory, less than 6gb might be a problem because the game gets crashy if it runs out. According to digital foundry the stuttering issues were not a low performance/optimization issue but an input glitch that occurred above 60fps. I definitely did not experience them.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 27, 2021

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i never saw any problems but they fixed the stuttering a few weeks ago with a patch iirc

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Had the occassional crash on a 1080, wouldn't worry.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

MiddleOne posted:

Had the occassional crash on a 1080, wouldn't worry.
Same. I ran it on a 1080 Ti with an i7 3.6GHz (I think?) and had maybe 3 crashes in 35 hours.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I dunno how you guys are getting to 25 hours with no urge to see more unless you're spending a lot of time invading other people.

I feel like I saw almost everything there was to see, or at least that I cared to see, and I'm just hitting the 20 hour mark after having beaten the game.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I have roughly 30+ hours clocked in and will get probably another 10ish, because I intend to get Julianna to max level and probably speedrun another playthrough with Cole, to get some matches from the other side. IMHO Deathloop absolutely stands or falls based on how much you like its multiplayer. If it's not your thing the game is good, but not great and quickly runs out of steam, content-wise. If you like its PvP, the game is fantastic and will easily last you twice as long as it would if you just played for its singleplayer aspect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I played it for 72 hours for a "single" playthrough (with maybe a couple hours where I hosed about a little as an invading Julianna), there is a ton of exploration to do and a lot of fun to be had trying out different combinations not only of powers and gear but different locations at different times of day and how those things affect other times/locations. I've stunned how long into my playthrough I got before Julianna ran out of new things to bother Colt with at the start of missions.

Probably the last 10-15 hours were spent trying to get the last remaining achievements I wanted - Ghost at the Feast and Quantum Solution took a lot of doing - but even so I got more than my money's worth out of a full price purchase, so a discount deal is a bargain.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

bewilderment posted:

I dunno how you guys are getting to 25 hours with no urge to see more unless you're spending a lot of time invading other people.

I feel like I saw almost everything there was to see, or at least that I cared to see, and I'm just hitting the 20 hour mark after having beaten the game.

It took me 25 hours to get the platinum trophy, so consistent with your playtime.

Lt. Lizard posted:

IMHO Deathloop absolutely stands or falls based on how much you like its multiplayer. If it's not your thing the game is good, but not great and quickly runs out of steam, content-wise. If you like its PvP, the game is fantastic and will easily last you twice as long as it would if you just played for its singleplayer aspect.

I think that's a great point; I found the PvP clunky but I was playing on PS5 and I vastly prefer to play competitive gamemodes on PC, so I did about the bare minimum of that mode to get the trophies done and experience it. I've considered picking the game up when it's cheap on PC and then hamming it up on the multiplayer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got 32 hours out of it from singleplayer. I can see how it took much less time for many as a lot of my time spent slowly combing through the levels on my first loops wasn't quite as rewarding as in dishonored 2 and prey (the levels definitely feel more designed to facilitate speedrunning options and ways of reaching the targets than being full of meaningful loot compared to those games), and it's easy enough that many of the sidequests are very superfluous so if you just stick to the main quest markers you won't exactly hit much friction. but I do think people who just stuck with the silent limp for the whole game and never really explored the variety of fun options the game offers badly missed out. I've mentioned it several times already but the "sprint into people and never shoot a gun" build was legitimately more fun than I've had in any other "FPS" in a long time, and my only regret is not trying it sooner.

difficulty options would have added a lot to incentivize you to explore more optional stuff to get more powerful and I guess they didn't do it because of how it might disrupt online invasions, but I only ever wanted to play singleplayer so their absence didn't feel very justified. the balance of trinkets also made quests to get them feel pretty pointless because at high loop stress some eternalists can literally drop 8 purples at a time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I loved it and I hope it sold well.

I got through it in about 12 hours for adult me it was the perfect length.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The devs are currently playing again, and can be invaded for one more hour or so.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I hope we get a new game+/roguelike mode in a future update like they did with prey. More randomization would be fantastic for a replay even though the base game is clearly designed with a majora’s mask approach rather than a roguelike

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Well, game seems cool, but I keep getting CTDs in the first area past the intro zone. Sure would be nice if I could save manually.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
In the video settings, have you made sure you are not going over your video memory limit? I found that caused consistent crashes for me. I also ran the game in administrator mode on common suggestions, though I never fully tested if that actually mattered.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Played 7 hours so far, never got a crash due to going over the memory limit. All it seems to do is cause textures to be streamed in closer to the camera. I did however get a crash when I enabled V-Sync, so you could maybe try disabling that if it's on.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Autsj posted:

In the video settings, have you made sure you are not going over your video memory limit? I found that caused consistent crashes for me. I also ran the game in administrator mode on common suggestions, though I never fully tested if that actually mattered.
Yeah, I'm just under. I'll see if going even lower helps.

KonvexKonkav posted:

Played 7 hours so far, never got a crash due to going over the memory limit. All it seems to do is cause textures to be streamed in closer to the camera. I did however get a crash when I enabled V-Sync, so you could maybe try disabling that if it's on.
Disabled because I have a G-Sync monitor. Maybe I'll try lowering the FPS cap. :shrug:

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

repiv posted:

I dropped the game originally due to the stutter and finished it off after the big patch, it feels fine to me now even with uncapped FPS

Basic Chunnel posted:

yeah the first big patch squashed that bug ime

Thanks for confirming. I did get the game, and it worked well for me.
Though I would still get some stutter that would show up and persist for the rest of the level. Not sure what caused that, because it wasn't consistent.
I think the Digital Foundry guys mentioned that on some video about Deathloop when the patch was still in beta. Oh well, at least it wasn't always happening. :shrug:

Game good. Thanks, Arkane!

Is there some way to find codes to the Gideon delivery things without completing the spy quest? The spy quest felt like it was an alternative way to finish a whole bunch of other side quest chains, like the code to the classpass system at Franks. I never found any breadcrumbs for Gideon, though.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Delivery booth stuff: Fia's bunker has a room with some Gideon material. It's not something that you can interact with so it won't go into your info log until you successfully use it.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

brain dammej posted:

Is there some way to find codes to the Gideon delivery things without completing the spy quest? The spy quest felt like it was an alternative way to finish a whole bunch of other side quest chains, like the code to the classpass system at Franks. I never found any breadcrumbs for Gideon, though.

Yeah, everything from that quest is information you can find by other means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

Grayshift posted:

Delivery booth stuff: Fia's bunker has a room with some Gideon material. It's not something that you can interact with so it won't go into your info log until you successfully use it.

Thanks. I did that fairly early on and never went back there, so I must've forgotten.