Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Majora's Mask is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just announced as getting wrenched from the Xbox 360 Live Arcade era to the Switch next year: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, to mark the 25th anniversary of the original Tomb Raider this week.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

romanowski posted:

the bad changes made to MM3DS are fairly minor overall and don't overshadow the positive changes unless you have severe goon brain damage

:yeah:

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
MM3D was pretty cool and i liked how they gave me the bomber's notebook with the deku mask. 10/10 probably won't play again but will recommend it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/NewBlood/status/1453758064062918662

After all these years...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

romanowski posted:

you can still do zora swimming

And I previously addressed, the way the game implemented it discouraged the player from using it and becoming skilled with it when it mattered.

Bombers Notebook was great in the 3DS version though.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

*2 pages too late* heeeeeere's lunar!!!! :D

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the n64 versions are 20fps and the 3ds versions are 30fps q.e.d. they are 50% better

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The problem with the bosses in MM3D isn't "depth," it's that on all of the bosses post-Odolwa they barely even work. On Goht it's possible and likely for it to skid onto a spot where when the eye comes out, you can't actually hit it with the arrows. On Gyorg, what you're actually supposed to do in the new second half is poorly communicated, difficult to execute and buggy. Twinmold adds new mechanics that are also poorly communicated, and a "spin the circle pad around really fast" thing which is both physically difficult to do because the circle pad is a slippery little devil and is also a great way to wear it out.

All of those changes are bad. If you don't care about them, that's fine, but it doesn't excuse them.

b_d posted:

*2 pages too late* heeeeeere's lunar!!!! :D

THROUGH FIRE, JUSTICE IS SERVED

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
"Those who would trade zora swimming for an easier beaver minigame shall deserve neither, and lose both" - Thomas Jefferson

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Also lots of people say "I like the slow Zora swimming because it's easier to do certain sections with" even though every single underwater thing in the game is designed with the expectation that you will be swimming through it quickly and tying it to magic makes a certain endgame puzzle go from "maybe a little tough, but you'll eventually get it" to "extremely difficult and if you gently caress up too many times you permanently lose and have to reset the game and redo the entire final dungeon." It sucks.

totempoleman
Jan 20, 2005

Make a jazz note here.
Dusk rules

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snake Maze posted:

Zora swimming ruled and no amount of eyeballs can make up for crippling it.

Going full-speed constantly did nothing but cause trouble because you had gently caress all directional control beyond "forward". And there's zero reason to care about it using magic to boost when by the time you GET the Zora mask you have access to infinite magic power anyway.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
again, you can get infinite magic in majora's mask pretty easily. not really seeing the issue

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You can't use two masks at the same time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the solution is to homebrew your 3ds and play MM3D with the fan patch that fixes the dumb parts

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Going full-speed constantly did nothing but cause trouble because you had gently caress all directional control beyond "forward"

Nothing in the original required a level of precision other than swimming or walking on the floor, because it was all designed for zora link's mobility. Getting chateu romani every single loop just to swim normally is a chore, and you're still stuck with the electric shield on all the time once you do it. It's a bad change, full stop. You can argue that the other additions outweigh it but this change, in isolation, makes Majora's Mask worse.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

not with that attitude.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://9gag.com/photo/aV73MGd_460sv.mp4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snake Maze posted:

Nothing in the original required a level of precision other than swimming or walking on the floor, because it was all designed for zora link's mobility. Getting chateu romani every single loop just to swim normally is a chore, and you're still stuck with the electric shield on all the time once you do it. It's a bad change, full stop. You can argue that the other additions outweigh it but this change, in isolation, makes Majora's Mask worse.

It was designed poorly. Beaver races sucked because your first mistake was your last, as did getting around the Eel's Lair because you just zoomed off when trying to merely curve around into one specific Eel.

Also why are you not getting Chateau Romani every loop anyway?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nothing says Quality of Life (QOL) like running to the store and spending 200 fun bucks to do something that you used to be able to do by pressing the A button

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't know what any of you are talking about and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I played through N64 Majora's Mask a few months ago and beat the Beaver Races on my second try.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Augus posted:

the solution is to homebrew your 3ds and play MM3D with the fan patch that fixes the dumb parts
Yes, at this point why bother complaining about the problems when they're trivially fixed. Especially since:
  • If you own a 3DS it should already have CFW on it.
  • For fucks sake, why are you still reading this post if you haven't CFW your 3DS yet?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yes, at this point why bother complaining about the problems when they're trivially fixed. Especially since:
  • If you own a 3DS it should already have CFW on it.
  • For fucks sake, why are you still reading this post if you haven't CFW your 3DS yet?

logically i know it's completely unlikely, but my anxiety cant help but bombard me with thoughts of "but what if nintendo decides to ban every NNID with CFW ever"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I fell down a hole in Dungeon Encounters now all of my good party members are “wandering” and my rescue team is woefully under leveled and can’t deal with such a task on floor 80 plus. Time for a break!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shigeru Miyamoto gets a personalized report of who installed homebrew on 3DS every day. And he sends that directly to president Trump. I'm not going to risk it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hatty posted:

I fell down a hole in Dungeon Encounters now all of my good party members are “wandering” and my rescue team is woefully under leveled and can’t deal with such a task on floor 80 plus. Time for a break!

Shouldn't need characters on level to rescue them, just use your abilities to avoid or shuffle encounters around. Maybe take the opportunity to find the ability that lets you ignore encounters completely, that'll make it even easier.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Shigeru Miyamoto gets a personalized report of who installed homebrew on 3DS every day. And he sends that directly to president Trump. I'm not going to risk it.

It's okay. One of the giants is protecting us from his evil now.

This is where I'd make a very poorly shopped pic of that time Biden was a giant next to Carter. And I'd maybe put a low res jpeg of the N64 giant over his face. But that's not the kind of effort I'm willing to make today.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I love how retro even the trailer is.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was designed poorly. Beaver races sucked because your first mistake was your last, as did getting around the Eel's Lair because you just zoomed off when trying to merely curve around into one specific Eel.

"You have to get good at the game" is not a design failure.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also why are you not getting Chateau Romani every loop anyway?

Because I am not bad at the game,

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Beat Dread this morning. Game fuckin owns. I loved going into the final boss and thinking "how in the gently caress would you ever beat this" and then beating him while only getting hit once on my final run. The sense of advancement and the way it teaches you boss patterns is so fun.

Time for Fatal Frame. :getin:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I could give or take the swimming mechanics. Yes it is less on 3DS but far more manageable. It's also a relatively minor thing.

The boss changes were rather inexcusable though. It's going to be the first thing I get to when I finally hack my 3DS.

That said it's still an excellent game. Like Majora's Mask was always easily one of the best 3D Zeldas and the changes in the 3DS version have only slightly diminished it to being in the Top 5 or something. It's still worlds better than say Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword by any margin. I think the 3DS version is maybe worse than the N64 OoT whereas I would've put N64 MM over it.

What I want to say, there's no way you won't enjoy Majora's Mask, and one should play it however they can.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Blaziken386 posted:

logically i know it's completely unlikely, but my anxiety cant help but bombard me with thoughts of "but what if nintendo decides to ban every NNID with CFW ever"
Who cares, are you still playing a lot of 3DS games online?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What is Dusk

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

"Those who would trade zora swimming for an easier beaver minigame shall deserve neither, and lose both" - Thomas Jefferson

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

game

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

gloaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010