Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Solomon learned this move from White Chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

OPAONI posted:

Wait it's not Forbidden, it's foribbden.

Oh dang, you're right.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

runwiled posted:

I think this is also pretty damning because why didn't Solomon David pull this move out sooner?
:rolleyes:

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
in a reverse white chain solomon gets punched by jaggs and turns into a statue

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

blastron posted:

Oh dang, you're right.

aw dang dave messed up technique

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Immortals Slayer of Temple Art Foribbden

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Solomon learned this move from White Chain.

Pretty much, white chain’s epiphany was that doing something hopeless and futile was better than doing nothing. Of course white chain learned to do it out of self love and Solomon is still chained by fear, so this poo poo is gonna kill him even though that’s probably a limit that he’s imposing within his own hosed up world view.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Solomon David simply becomes the protagonist

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

akulanization posted:

Pretty much, white chain’s epiphany was that doing something hopeless and futile was better than doing nothing. Of course white chain learned to do it out of self love and Solomon is still chained by fear, so this poo poo is gonna kill him even though that’s probably a limit that he’s imposing within his own hosed up world view.

I'm pretty sure this technique does just loving kill you to use, given the explanatory text from an unseen narrator explaining that it does that.
Unless you're transcending causality in a way that maybe, maybe Zoss can do (and he's still limited in various ways), physical existence still happens. Those poor bastards who went to fight Solomon didn't get pulped because they failed to have the right worldview, but because he could pulp people with his fists real good.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Those poor bastards who went to fight Solomon didn't get pulped because they failed to have the right worldview, but because he could pulp people with his fists real good.

Counterpoint: he pulped White Chain and she got over it

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm pretty sure this technique does just loving kill you to use, given the explanatory text from an unseen narrator explaining that it does that.
Unless you're transcending causality in a way that maybe, maybe Zoss can do (and he's still limited in various ways), physical existence still happens. Those poor bastards who went to fight Solomon didn't get pulped because they failed to have the right worldview, but because he could pulp people with his fists real good.

The technique should kill you in the same way that white chain should have been destroyed in the ring of power by Solomon. You don’t need to destroy causality in order to imagine that the limits of possibility are broader than what is implied by a 2 sentence description of a magic martial arts technique.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

akulanization posted:

The technique should kill you in the same way that white chain should have been destroyed in the ring of power by Solomon. You don’t need to destroy causality in order to imagine that the limits of possibility are broader than what is implied by a 2 sentence description of a magic martial arts technique.

I think there's a major difference here, which is that Solomon walking this off would narratively undermine what he's doing (sacrificing his life and continued rule, recognizing the inevitability of change), while White Chain surviving narratively concludes a crucial character arc.

Also, White Chain didn't win the actual fight! She still lost, it's just that it turns out that loss wasn't that important compared to other things.

I'm just not sure why people are dead set on 'there aren't actual physical constraints' when the comic has been very clear that there are, actually, limits of possibility - but not acting because you fear them is a pitiable stagnation, and often more is possible than you think. Here, though, having Solomon not die of his ultimate ultimate ultimate technique that kills him to use would be a huge whiff (without some kind of incredible new twist, which I won't rule out, that pulls it into line). It would be a lot like having Mottom's newfound courage in the face of death prevent her from dying.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Excellent counterpoint, well made.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

I think the only thing that has held him back from interdimensional suicide speedbagging is pride, maybe mixed with an unwillingness to use every ounce of power he has as it would basically force himself to admit internally that he's hosed scared
I mean, he's always made it super clear he thinks everything would go to poo poo of he were ever to turn it over to his sons.

I honestly think "I would literally rather die than have my people think of me as a failure" is the best possible end to Solomon's arc. He talked a big game about wanting to walk away and continue his Kung fu journey, but this was always more important to him. Unlike most, I think he genuinely believed he was necessary for the peace and prosperity of his people, but in the end it made him as much a prisoner of needing to be loved as Mottom.

OPAONI posted:

That's my read on it, too. He knows he's a failure now, his people know that, and he'd rather die hurting the one responsible than deal with it.
IDK, this seems like dealing with it in the most emphatic way possible.

Potato Salad posted:

Forbidden Taint Technique: Paternum Perineum Punishment
:golfclap:

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

aw dang dave messed up technique

It'll be okay so long as he's still making whooshing sounds.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
If only all of our swan songs could be this glorious.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Brought To You By posted:

Also props to Incubus. When staring down certain death or at least having his body crushed as his immortal head becomes Jagganoth's newest piercing (I won't begin to guess where) he had the gumption to just laugh.

I mean he's a student of Meti, he always knew his death was always going to be horrible and violent just like his life. Best to just face it with a smile at the absurdity of it all.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Are Juggernaut Star and Jagganoth related in some way or is it just a coincidence? Presumably Juggernaut got her name long before Jagganoth even existed so it can't be a thorn knight thing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Both names are based on the same real Hindu word. Juggernaut is modern english, Jagganoth is more similar to the original, which is usually romanised as "Jagganath".

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also they're cousins

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

And they were roommates.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
:stare:

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1453819498600017920

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

RIP Dave.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Came here to post it, hang on to your butts!

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

:yeshaha:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1453819673242476563?s=20

i have my fingers crossed that it's awesome news and not "drawing these massive intricate updates on this loving awesome GOAT comic has exploded each of my hands followed by each of my arms and i need to cut back"

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
He's going to announce another TTRPG that rules

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Both names are based on the same real Hindu word. Juggernaut is modern english, Jagganoth is more similar to the original, which is usually romanised as "Jagganath".

:nallears: I loving know, and obviously so does Operant, which is why I was asking if they had an in-universe connection.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Cowcaster posted:

i have my fingers crossed that it's awesome news and not "drawing these massive intricate updates on this loving awesome GOAT comic has exploded each of my hands followed by each of my arms and i need to cut back"

I'm fairly confident in Abaddon's natural resistance to Burlew's Disease. I think he's just been taking a gigantic level of care for about a year now on the most visually challenging project he's ever done, and taking more time to deliver a higher quality makes sense for him and allows him to not die from stress.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Adopt your war form, Abbadon. Draw with infinite hands.

Seriously though this poo poo rules.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

packetmantis posted:

:nallears: I loving know, and obviously so does Operant, which is why I was asking if they had an in-universe connection.

I asked Operant once and he just talked about the etymological link, I think there's no intended relation.

Which is strange since they're both very preoccupied with the wheel-turning cycle, both have a connection to Metatron, both very "hardcore" characters hiding a much more vulnerable brokenness, etc. I had a pet theory that they were one character in the early drafts before drifting into two roles but that doesn't seem to fit.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

He's going to announce another TTRPG that rules

An entire combat system around hogs and punching hogs

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Isn't this him saying he's going to speed up production? 4 pages a week would be a bit above his previous pace I think?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

An entire combat system around hogs and punching hogs

The Pigilist

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Is there any other webcomic where the artist says "Hey, next release is getting delayed by over a week" and response is a universal gently caress YEAH?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

Isn't this him saying he's going to speed up production? 4 pages a week would be a bit above his previous pace I think?

i thought he switched from ~3-4 pages a week spread out over a few days to like ~8-10 pages a week all dumped on fridays

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Tendales posted:

Is there any other webcomic where the artist says "Hey, next release is getting delayed by over a week" and response is a universal gently caress YEAH?

Kill 6 Billion Demons is unique for many reasons. That, admittedly, is one of them. This webcomic has completely spoiled me for what I can expect from a webcomic and I'm sure that'll have disastrous consequences for me in a few years. But for now, I'm enjoying the heck out of this ride!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Tendales posted:

homestuck

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Tendales posted:

I mean it really helps that the delays basically always deliver. If Abbadon says "im delaying to have these flow better as a whole sequence" I take him at his word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I mean it really helps that the delays basically always deliver. If Abbadon says "im delaying to have these flow better as a whole sequence" I take him at his word.

it also helps that sometimes its been "im delaying this because im drawing a whole rear end clash of two armies with six billion chainsaw staves and muskets and blimps and a huge baby who wants to kill you. also i hope you have a huge monitor lol"