Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

fadam posted:

Everything looks cool and I like Cleave a lot but holy poo poo that Sorin has to be one of the most underwhelming planeswalkers of all time lol

Dorothea sucks but is getting slammed into my Geisties Angels EDH pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

It's in the set with disturbed and the standard with flashback?

How often are you gonna choose to discard a flashback card instead of getting to cast it twice?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

AND/OR, ONE OR MORE, ONCE A TURN

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How often are you gonna choose to discard a flashback card instead of getting to cast it twice?

Honestly, probably not that infrequently. The ability to cast incidentally milled poo poo from the yard is where a lot of the power in flashback lies.

Think about it like this: if you discard the flashback/disturb card and then cast it from the graveyard, you really only discarded like ~1/2 a card. If you discarded a card without flashback, you're always discarding a full card.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Disturb = card advantage
Auras = card disadvantage
Combine the two = ???

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I love frog.

Interesting design. A lot better in 60 card formats than Commander.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 28, 2021

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Pablo Nergigante posted:

At least in limited, this happens all the time. There have been many times when I cast Organ Hoarder, and put one of the Disturb/Flashback cards into the bin because it's like basically drawing an extra card. Discarding something you can play out of the graveyard is basically negating the card disadvantage of discarding it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oh, are we getting the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man in this set?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Can you cast Croaked spells from Exile if the frog is back in your command zone or dead?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

By Invitation Only. If my opponent lets it resolve. And I declare something >0... can he play sac creature abilities as a response? Or does he have to play sac creature abilities before I say a number

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I guess. But blood doesn’t give you board or card advantage

Tokens are card advantage if you have another way to utilize them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That 4/4 flier seems funny in Spirits

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

my dude did you never play with Shipwreck Sifter? you're missing out

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I think most of these cards rule and that Sorin I think will be very good in standard.

All the exploit cards work super well with decayed tokens and that will be very fun in the combined limited format they’re gonna do with MID

Blood tokens are pretty boring though. May play a lot better than they look of course. I kinda wish it was just a token that drained one or something.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Strong Sauce posted:

By Invitation Only. If my opponent lets it resolve. And I declare something >0... can he play sac creature abilities as a response? Or does he have to play sac creature abilities before I say a number

The latter, you don't pick a number until it resolves and then it's too late to react.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Strong Sauce posted:

No, you choose the number upon the spell resolving. That's probably why 0 is even an option, in the case you opponent sacs their board in response.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

I might be wrong but once the spell resolves is when you pick the number, and they can't do anything until after it has resolved. The reason why it has 0 as an option is so if they remove their guy while this is on the stack, you can pick 0 after it resolves and not have to sac anything.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

loving called Thalia. Soooo happy it's gonna be in standard.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Yeah thanks I was about 80% sure they can't do anything after I declare a number. But I'm sure this will come up a bit in drafts.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

They screwed up the wording so you can't sacrifice 13 creatures, card is garbage.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

They screwed up the wording so you can't sacrifice 13 creatures, card is garbage.

I'm reasonably sure you can.

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=29866 Check the Oracle text/notes on this. It says you pick a number between 0 and 5 and then tells you what happens if you pick 0.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

my dude did you never play with Shipwreck Sifter? you're missing out

Of course I have, but that gives you an additional benefit if you discard a card w/disturb

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Ayami Kojima has done art for the Castlevania series.

Edit: art for the regular card is actually a pretty big piece. wow

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Blood just seems eh to me. I'm happy to be proven wrong tho

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mike N Eich posted:

I think most of these cards rule and that Sorin I think will be very good in standard.

All the exploit cards work super well with decayed tokens and that will be very fun in the combined limited format they’re gonna do with MID

Blood tokens are pretty boring though. May play a lot better than they look of course. I kinda wish it was just a token that drained one or something.

Sorin seems pretty bad imo.+1 doesn't protect it and the creatures are kinda mopey. I guess creating Vampire nighthawks was too good?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 28, 2021

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

fadam posted:

I'm reasonably sure you can.

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=29866 Check the Oracle text/notes on this. It says you pick a number between 0 and 5 and then tells you what happens if you pick 0.

It may be true in the rules, but it isn't true in my cold, pedantic heart.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

FWIW all of the other resource tokens (food, clues, treasure) read equally unimpressive at first and ended up being better than expected. Card selection that can also throw stuff in your yard is probably worth a mana.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The dracula version of the land rules.

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1453758660300185601

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Rummaging is always worse than Looting

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Creating free artifacts has always been playable.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

Rummaging is always worse than Looting

Technically not always, because sometimes rummaging is templated where the discard isn't part of the cost so it's just straight value if you're hellbent.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Dracula land is the only one of the cards that I think looks cool. Dracula's mostly just too generic since Magic and everything else already ripped it off to feel very unique to me, unlike Godzilla.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

Can you cast Croaked spells from Exile if the frog is back in your command zone or dead?

Probably not, for example when Sludge Monster dies the slime counters it puts on creatures don't do anything unless another sludge monster comes into play

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

Pretty sure the frog must be on the battlefield for the croak counters to have any use.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Part of me is reasonably sure that we're gonna see at least one Blood generator get broken in modern as part of a Dredge deck.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Probably not, for example when Sludge Monster dies the slime counters it puts on creatures don't do anything unless another sludge monster comes into play

Framboise posted:

Pretty sure the frog must be on the battlefield for the croak counters to have any use.

Ya I think you guys are right. The templating difference between something like Oppo and this makes it more clear.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Neat, basically a wrath that gets around indestructible

it also a wrath that doesnt punish you for having a larger board than your opponent. very cool card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

babypolis posted:

it also a wrath that doesnt punish you for having a larger board than your opponent. very cool card

Yeah, at the very least a really good SB card for mono white