Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

oh man, now I’m hyped to read some old Doctor Strange stories! If I have MU, where’s a good place to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
For the record, Master of Black Magic was his first epithet:

Also there was a real disparity of stakes in those split stories in Strange Tales:

Bonus Bats being cute even in layouts:

edit:

Zombie Dachshund posted:

oh man, now I’m hyped to read some old Doctor Strange stories! If I have MU, where’s a good place to start?
You can start with his first appearance in Strange Tales 110!

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 22, 2021

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Dr. Strange gets defeated in basically every story he's featured in whereas the Thing rarely gets to meet Ringo Starr.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Man, Nick Fury was so cool back in the day.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Strange Tales Fury stories were top tier. "You kids like gadgets?! Here's more gadgets than you can shake a fuckin stuck at!"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

The Strange Tales Fury stories were top tier. "You kids like gadgets?! Here's more gadgets than you can shake a fuckin stuck at!"

also, exhortations to "NEVER YIELD, BACK SHIELD!"

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I was really struck by how "Marvel Method" the early Dr. Strange stories are, to the extent that Ditko's art tells a clear story without dialogue. I removed the text from a page to show this:

With text:

I tried "reading" some of the early stories without paying attention to the text on the page and I got the vast majority of what was going on.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
for vulpes

https://twitter.com/OttoSchmidt72/status/1452015367421837317?s=20

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Already RT'd, but good looking out

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Already RT'd, but good looking out

Have you gotten to write Emma Frost yet? I'm not gonna suggest any story ideas to you I know that's very bad to do, I just think you'd be good at writing her in something.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I haven't, though she is someone that would be a lot of fun to work with!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

No mutants for Vulpes until he brings back Ugly John.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think vulpes should continue to write good comics, imo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Just let Vulpes fulfill his destiny and give him a Bats monthly.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Honestly, Vulpes, your first Moon Knight issue dropped on Unlimited today and it's freaking fantastic.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dawgstar posted:

Just let Vulpes fulfill his destiny and give him a Bats monthly.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Dawgstar posted:

Just let Vulpes fulfill his destiny and give him a Bats monthly weekly.

It's Jeff! is delightful, but what we clearly all want is a Bats fronted Infinity Comic.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i have room in my heart for both

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Belatedly, I love that means the snakes are very up on their mercenaries for whatever reason.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Beerdeer posted:

Honestly, Vulpes, your first Moon Knight issue dropped on Unlimited today and it's freaking fantastic.

:amen:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dawgstar posted:

Belatedly, I love that means the snakes are very up on their mercenaries for whatever reason.

They're just the biggest gossips. If course they know.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just realized pet avengers should get the symbiote cat from venom

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Marvel added a bunch of Ghostrider to unlimited, a bunch are non sequential so I hope it's filling in strange gaps. Also looks like they're adding them the same day as new comics so it's easier to notice if when they do it.

Edit: just checked, they have 1-35 missing issue ten and then issue 50 and 55 of his first series.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 26, 2021

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I had no idea this was in the works, and can only imagine some of the themes they'll cover given everything that's happened in the real world since the last X-Statix book.
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1453067640998711297

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I had no idea this was in the works, and can only imagine some of the themes they'll cover given everything that's happened in the real world since the last X-Statix book.

They did a one shot near the start of the Krakoa era, that said they were doing an ongoing, but it was before COVID and this is the first time anyone said anything about it since so I think a lot of people like me assumed it was one of the quietly canceled books.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Skwirl posted:

Marvel added a bunch of Ghostrider to unlimited, a bunch are non sequential so I hope it's filling in strange gaps. Also looks like they're adding them the same day as new comics so it's easier to notice if when they do it.

Edit: just checked, they have 1-35 missing issue ten and then issue 50 and 55 of his first series.

number 10 is a reprint of Ghost Rider's first appearance in Marvel Spotlight. no idea about the other two, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

number 10 is a reprint of Ghost Rider's first appearance in Marvel Spotlight. no idea about the other two, though.

Those last two weren't added this week, it looks like they just had really spotty coverage of early Ghost Rider.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I'm excited for the Anti-Doop in the left-hand lineup and Edie's daughter. Love me some X-Statix.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Skwirl posted:

They did a one shot near the start of the Krakoa era, that said they were doing an ongoing, but it was before COVID and this is the first time anyone said anything about it since so I think a lot of people like me assumed it was one of the quietly canceled books.

Allred said last year that it was still happening, but as that was over a year after the initial announcement I'd also missed it and figured it was altogether dead

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Is that Spidey's arch-nemesis The Wall on the bottom right?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Thx for the nice words goons.

In current news, I somehow missed Nega-Doop over there, which is very exciting.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm really curious to see what Allred and Milligan make of the current political situation around media, given how prominent modern media was in the original book. I think the distorting effect of media upon celebrity that they examined in the book has become a more intimate affair with the advent of social media. They're going to have to incorporate the modern experience of a celebrity if they want if they want the new book to be relevant.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It'll also be interested considering how much death factored into that run, to now where it doesn't matter much.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Thx for the nice words goons.

In current news, I somehow missed Nega-Doop over there, which is very exciting.

Going to call him pooD until I hear otherwise.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
moon knight is so good why is moon knight so loving good its loving moon knight what the hell

Also, did I miss an issue of Amazing Spider-Man, or was the fight with the U-foes skipped over? The issue gap makes what would otherwise a "this was unimportant and handled off-camera" a bit less clear to me

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

OnimaruXLR posted:

moon knight is so good why is moon knight so loving good its loving moon knight what the hell

Also, did I miss an issue of Amazing Spider-Man, or was the fight with the U-foes skipped over? The issue gap makes what would otherwise a "this was unimportant and handled off-camera" a bit less clear to me

It was handled at the very end of the 76

It was like two pages so it’s not surprising you missed it.

Honestly this beyond thing is just meh so far

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Moon Knight has a history of being very good. :buddy:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

JordanKai posted:

Moon Knight has a history of being very good. :buddy:

yeah the thing about Moon Knight is that he's awesome as hell right up until he shows up in a team book and then he sucks

I dunno what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Moon Knight continues to be a great read. Really happy Marc has a buddy.