Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

gently caress it I found a $20 gog.com key for CP2077 and I'm going to play it as god intended on the PC.

Cp2077 is actually pretty great for a game that is sort of a piece of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it's a AAA piece of eurojank which is rare and fascinating and v enjoyable if you're so inclined

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok here’s what’s been confirmed for season 2 so far

Episode 1 will be Boku no Natsuyasumi. This appears to be a Japanese PS1 game about a kid relaxing on summer vacation.

Episode 2 will be LA Noire.

Episode 3 might be Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (but if not it will be a later episode).

Other confirmed episodes are Earthbound and Final Fantasy IV.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There might be another open-world game other than LA Noire given his comments in #5 (and the footage of Days Gone?).

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

I read the Days Gone clips as just one of those open world games he played for this video. Granted, I haven't watched part 5 yet. But I would like to speculate on Alan Wake being one of the future episodes, he's alluded to it in the past as an "almost perfect video game".

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Boku no Natsuyasumi owns.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rexicon1 posted:

Tim Rogers is cool and I like his video

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
excited to see a review of the best final fantasy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Tim Rogers is a genius and I kinda want to play Cyberpunk 2077 now

watching these convinced me to go back and finish it. i got up to the parade part and just stopped playing

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

inferis posted:

Boku no Natsuyasumi owns.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

bewilderment posted:

The first half of part 2 is about how graphics and games drive each other, how graphics can be built to stand the test of time, and the way graphics, like CP2077's graphics, are a gigantic selling point for a game.

The second half is about how he was once an idiot working 100-hour days and eating theoretically healthy but depressing poo poo and how he nearly died from it so he doesn't do that any more and then relates it back to how he considers this video to be his worst one because he only worked 40-hour days on it, so if people still like it then clearly crunch in favour of glitz and lights isn't worth it.

Except he ends the section with a confession he pulled 16 hour days again to finish the video cause he doesn't know how to stay turned off

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I wouldn't be shocked if days gone was reviewed as part of season 2- i don't think LA Noire is the game where he'll speak positively of open worlds(the open world really isn't much of a part of that game), and days gone, for games that actually have a plot does use the trappings of the open world reasonably well. I think Mount & Blade is probably the game that uses an open world the best but that game doesn't have the narrative(or industry significance) that Tim is looking for.

It's just, as he says in story 4, the looting and RPG skill trees/point allocation do absolutely nothing to improve Cyberpunk, i think it would've worked better as a straight FPS with some kind of sci-fi thing about how other people's weapons are biometrically locked so you can't pick them up. If hacking was going to be a thing, it'd probably be better if the entire game was designed around it, eschewing the fun-shooter part instead of hacking being super magic cheat codes in an FPS.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

My long shot guess is that it's Sleeping Dogs, mostly because I love that game and want to watch content about it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Praying he talks in-depth about Landstalker sometime, especially if he has anything to say besides 'hey it's pretty good.'

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like I wasn't supposed to enjoy part 5 but I did anyway. Maybe that's a sign of just how much of a sucker I am for the whole Tim Rogers schtick, I dunno.

Also now I'm back in that familiar Action Button zone of "okay which part was bullshit and which part was the truth?" with the twist ending of part 5, where he claims he does in fact want you to watch the whole review and only said "pick two parts" to placate people who'd bellyache about the length, and also claims that the delays were on purpose just to make people mad on Twitter. Not too sure how much I believe any of that but it's a fun "twist" either way :v:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

I feel like I wasn't supposed to enjoy part 5 but I did anyway. Maybe that's a sign of just how much of a sucker I am for the whole Tim Rogers schtick, I dunno.

Also now I'm back in that familiar Action Button zone of "okay which part was bullshit and which part was the truth?" with the twist ending of part 5, where he claims he does in fact want you to watch the whole review and only said "pick two parts" to placate people who'd bellyache about the length, and also claims that the delays were on purpose just to make people mad on Twitter. Not too sure how much I believe any of that but it's a fun "twist" either way :v:

The thing about the "pick two stories" instruction is that it's meant to reproduce the structure and the decisions that play out in Cyberpunk 2077 itself; having you make the decision and think about it helps you appreciate what the game does in its best turns. When he calls Story 5 the "true ending" of the review, it's calling back to how he describes the space ending of CP2077 in Story 3. It's made to be watched as a whole, and him saying that a lot of the parts deliberately overlap is a total lie, but playing along helps you appreciate the whole.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Cp2077 is actually pretty great for a game that is sort of a piece of crap.

Being able to watch the review past the intro is what's gonna motivate me to finally play it lol. Think I might start it as soon as my GPU gets back from the computer doctor, I need something to fill the upcoming fall/winter until Dying Light 2 and Elden Ring hit.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Tim Rogers only seems to review good games, while also having a love of good Japanese games. So it says a lot that he’s never reviewed nor mentioned the Yakuza series.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are a few oblique mentions of ryu ga gotoku during the fashion derail in part 6. I think he also interviewed toshihiro nagoshi at some point during his kotaku video years though I haven't watched it. But you're not wrong, it seems like a safe bet he doesn't really like them

edit: lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNx3xwDfStw&t=24s

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 28, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve only watched his Pac-Man review and a few different sections of the cyberpunk one and he’s already mentioned Yakuza a bunch of times, and they’ve all been in positive ways so :shrug:

Edit:

https://mobile.twitter.com/108/status/1327769333150396417?lang=en

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I would love for him to sink his teeth into Yakuza, but knowing my luck he'd review the zombie spin off.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

This is my first Tim Rogers experience and I think I like it? Somehow I've made it through the intro and parts 1-3 and I plan on finishing it Friday and maybe Monday. I'm not even interested in the game but I'm kind of hooked on the presentation and the synopsis is fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Walla posted:

I'm not even interested in the game but I'm kind of hooked on the presentation and the synopsis is fun.

That's definitely part of the Tim Rogers appeal. I think a lot of people ended up being shocked they watched a 6-hour video on Tokimeki Memorial and it was just because it was fun to watch Tim talk about it, and hell, by the end, maybe more people cared about Tokimeki Memorial (which was probably the goal).

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Shinjobi posted:

I would love for him to sink his teeth into Yakuza, but knowing my luck he'd review the zombie spin off.

It would be glorious. I actually want him to review the zombie spinoff instead of the other titles.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think I might try the Tokimeki video after this one. I drive for a living so these make good podcasts even if I get a lesser experience.

Also I'm trying to remember all of the cyberpunk games he played on Nintendo and Sega systems and the PC-98, because I want to try them out. All I can remember is Shadowrun though.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Harrow posted:

That's definitely part of the Tim Rogers appeal. I think a lot of people ended up being shocked they watched a 6-hour video on Tokimeki Memorial and it was just because it was fun to watch Tim talk about it, and hell, by the end, maybe more people cared about Tokimeki Memorial (which was probably the goal).

Yeah I've gotten plenty of people that never play games to watch that one and they were fascinated. Dude's mind is fascinating.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Walla posted:

I think I might try the Tokimeki video after this one. I drive for a living so these make good podcasts even if I get a lesser experience.

Also I'm trying to remember all of the cyberpunk games he played on Nintendo and Sega systems and the PC-98, because I want to try them out. All I can remember is Shadowrun though.

Shadowrun, Shadowrun, Shadowrun, Shadowrun Returns, Syndicate, Snatcher, and some other games.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Tim should really put his novels out into the world. The way he has written these reviews definitely would translate well into the written realm.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Sir Tonk posted:

Shadowrun, Shadowrun, Shadowrun, Shadowrun Returns, Syndicate, Snatcher, and some other games.

Syndicate and Snatcher. Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Walla posted:

This is my first Tim Rogers experience and I think I like it?

I am in the same boat.

Like I like it??

I’m not going to finish the CP2077 video because I want to put some time into the Pc version first but I’m going to watch some of his other videos.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Walla posted:

The tokimeki one is, imo, his best review(including this one).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The top tier tim in my experience is tokimeki and the ff7 mosey series. Are there any other particularly good videos from the kotaku days? I've watched a few but they usually felt like normal-ish albeit tim-infused previews/reviews

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I keep hearing that about the tokimei one, a game that I’ll never play. What makes it so good in people’s opinion?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Just finished story #6 and need to fight the urge to spend $2500 on jackets and chairs

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Asteroid Alert posted:

Tim should really put his novels out into the world. The way he has written these reviews definitely would translate well into the written realm.

There in an entire website full of his video game reviews written just like this. His bioshock infinite one is great.

http://actionbutton.net/

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Just finished story #6 and need to fight the urge to spend $2500 on jackets and chairs

There are worse decisions in the world than getting a nice chair. But yeah I feel ya

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I also recommend this piece he did about living in japan and putting up with yakuza-run loudspeakers outside his window

https://medium.com/@108/the-blender-who-would-recite-shakespeare-7a34b1ccf79c

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Tim Rogers is a rare literary soul and even if you find yourself a bit bored at points during his videos I recommend sticking it out becuase the man's writing is beautiful and will stick with you

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Not going to lie though the Truck Heck shirt is ugly

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The steelcase gesture really is a great expensive chair I would recommend anyone that can get their work to buy one do so.

I haven't watched all the parts (watched the what I like/don't like parts) but I overall agree with him that the game is pretty good most of the time but the open world adds nothing and the looting is pretty tedious and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Amethyst posted:

Not going to lie though the Truck Heck shirt is ugly

I tuned out halfway through that bit and then felt both justified and annoyed when it turned out to be a loving ad.