Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
chud to transman: "Face it, you'll never be a woman!!1!!1"

transman: *secret smile*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

okay let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here that last part is something we should consider bringing back. I'd rather have a doctor bring me off with a medical-grade vibrator than jerk me around.

Yeah, but are you prepared to pay US medical prices for it?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

christmas boots posted:

This symbol with thousands of years of culture and tradition in large parts of Asia can no longer be used by those people because of a white man from Germany

I can't believe we had a whole world war over some white man from Germany. Seems a bit silly in retrospect.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BrigadierSensible posted:

Yeah, but are you prepared to pay US medical prices for it?
I've been locked down for like a year snd a half.

Yes. I'm down bad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

subpar anachronism posted:

what kind of brokebrain needs to assemble multiples of the same lego set, that fucker is like 3 feet tall

Eighteen Saturn Vs and fourteen Saturn IBs were built.

It just makes sense to collect them all.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

PhazonLink posted:

Ah yes disprove a fact that literally all ancient civs knew was true.

Not all of them, but defo all of them that were sea faring.

The shape of the world is an interesting one in that it's often generally right in ancient civilizations but people have difficulty understanding how much there is of everything.

Like the Mesopotamian world view held that there was so much loving water that the world essentially rested on top of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Josef bugman posted:

Not all of them, but defo all of them that were sea faring.

The shape of the world is an interesting one in that it's often generally right in ancient civilizations but people have difficulty understanding how much there is of everything.

Like the Mesopotamian world view held that there was so much loving water that the world essentially rested on top of it.

The Greeks believed the same thing, that the continents floated on the seas. (Hence Poseidon being the god of earthquakes as well as the ocean) They were kinda onto something given how plate tectonics work.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Beartaco posted:

I can't believe we had a whole world war over some white man from Germany. Seems a bit silly in retrospect.

I suppose an Italian may also have been involved

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr Christmas posted:

A different way I think the internet may have broken us, is that everyone's freaking out over the this Buzz Lightyear's relation to the Toy Story universe's Buzz. Is this a movie that Andy may have watched? Did they just imply that the in-universe Buzz Lightyear media franchise based on a person who is real in the Toy Story universe? Are there aliens in the Toy Story universe that the greater public doesn't know about?!
In 2000, they released Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. It had not a single bit of fourth wall shenanigans or acknowledgement of a universe where Buzz was a toy, and we all accepted it.

So I think this new movie is a live action movie within the Toy Story universe that Buzz Lightyear originally came from. After the movie Buzz Lightyear of Star Command(also a TV show within the Toy Story-verse) was made from it, and it's the TV show that the Toy Story Buzz Lightyear is based on, which is based on the "live action" movie. But I don't think Buzz Lightyear is supposed to be a real person in the Toy Story-verse.
As for voice actors it makes sense that the live action Buzz didn't voice his animated or Toy counterpart, but I think the Toy and animated versions are supposed to be the same voice(even though they actually aren't).

EDIT: Ok I think I'm wrong about the animated part. It's just Lightyear is a fictional film within the Toy Story-verse(maybe based on a real person but the events aren't real), which the toy was based on.

RatHat has a new favorite as of 13:07 on Oct 28, 2021

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

RatHat posted:

So I think this new movie is a live action movie within the Toy Story universe that Buzz Lightyear originally came from. After the movie Buzz Lightyear of Star Command(also a TV show within the Toy Story-verse) was made from it, and it's the TV show that the Toy Story Buzz Lightyear is based on, which is based on the "live action" movie. But I don't think Buzz Lightyear is supposed to be a real person in the Toy Story-verse.
As for voice actors it makes sense that the live action Buzz didn't voice his animated or Toy counterpart, but I think the Toy and animated versions are supposed to be the same voice(even though they actually aren't).

No the movie is supposed to be "an origin story to the human that the toy line was based on" according to the description rather than a fictional film in the universe.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Annabel Pee posted:

No the movie is supposed to be "an origin story to the human that the toy line was based on" according to the description rather than a fictional film in the universe.

I thought the director said he imagines Andy went to see this film, which inspired him to get the figure?

EDIT:

quote:

Announced at Disney's Investor Day presentation in December 2020, the animated Lightyear is officially described as being the "definitive origin story" of Buzz Lightyear (voiced by Chris Evans), the human space ranger who inspired the toy famously voiced by Tim Allen in the Toy Story feature films. "Buzz, as a character, I’ve always been pretty close to as a fan -- mostly because of his overlap into the sci-fi genre. I’ve always wanted to know about Buzz," MacLane told D23.com. "I said, ‘Maybe there was a movie starring Buzz Lightyear, and that’s what Andy saw that made him want a Buzz Lightyear action figure. Why don’t we just make that movie --and make it awesome?’”

Maybe this movie is based on a real person but it can't be a retelling of real events since it has aliens and stuff in it, and the tech is too advanced for the modern Toy Story setting.

RatHat has a new favorite as of 13:04 on Oct 28, 2021

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Boy disney really hosed this one up didnt they :smug:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

subpar anachronism posted:

what kind of brokebrain needs to assemble multiples of the same lego set, that fucker is like 3 feet tall
To be fair, it looks like a sweet kit. Also can you really ever have too many rockets?

fake edit: lmao I looked up the set. It has 1969 pieces (nice) and costs $120.

Read After Burning posted:

https://twitter.com/AntonioTheMexi/status/1453418032395603975

The idiot is me. :kiddo: I didn't realize this was some stock market/Bitcoin crap at first, and thought "the dip" was referring to chewing tobacco...
Anything WSB-adjacent is guaranteed to be dumb as poo poo, so this is still in the right place and the twitter OP is the IOSM.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Oh of course the guy who stopped that robbery is a huge chud

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Really, you're telling me the guy who thought it was a good idea to potentially escalate an already-dangerous situation actually just thinks of every aspect of his life as an imaginary battle for his "freedoms"? I'm so shocked.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Looks like eating all those children really messed up his digestion

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This is vaguely topical and I don't believe I saw anyone post it when IT Crowd and Lineham came up:

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/matt-berry-responds-to-transphobic-it-crowd-episode-3079426

tl;dr: Berry condemns the episode and blames Lineham. Lineham doubles down on being a piece of poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zesty posted:

Naming it "Palantir" was really on the nose, wasn't it?

Right wing assholes are always naming things after evil things from movies. Remember all the references to "The Death Star" in the last election, police stations are constantly naming their surveillance computers "Skynet," etc.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

teethgrinder posted:

This is vaguely topical and I don't believe I saw anyone post it when IT Crowd and Lineham came up:

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/matt-berry-responds-to-transphobic-it-crowd-episode-3079426

tl;dr: Berry condemns the episode and blames Lineham. Lineham doubles down on being a piece of poo poo.

Glinner nobody asked your opinion, shut the hell up. Good on Matt B tho

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

If you wanna get some easy laughs in, search 'we can always tell' on twitter and you'll see just about every made member of the Trans Twitter Mafia get hilariously gendered correctly.

Jerry Springer had an episode (probably more than one) where they had very attractive trans and cis women in bathing suits and people were supposed to guess.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Oh of course the guy who stopped that robbery is a huge chud

Patriotism? :thunkher:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Half of them aren't even "LGB", they're just straight people who want an excuse other than Jesus to publicly hate on The Trans Menace.
Like one of the four founders of the "LGB alliance" was Ann Sinnott, a straight woman.

A straight woman who doesn’t think it’s weird when teenagers want to suck their mothers’ tits.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Ha, that's great. Linehan immediately coming in with the "B-B-B-BUT I'M PROTECTING WOMEN'S SPACES :cry:"

This cis woman stands with her trans sisters; I WILL throw hands with a terf. :fuckoff:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/nataliereed84/status/1453471805117644800?s=20

Can’t decide if the bigger idiot is the OP or the people QTing them and being like “yes that is what it’s about, and that’s good”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/nataliereed84/status/1453471805117644800?s=20

Can’t decide if the bigger idiot is the OP or the people QTing them and being like “yes that is what it’s about, and that’s good”

It's the OP, who admits down the line to not having seen the movies or read the books.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I could see a random Dune wiki also having the story extremely wrong and racist

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can’t really blame them for not reading the dune books though.

Even the good one was a slog

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

I could see a random Dune wiki also having the story extremely wrong and racist

You’re telling me Silent Hill 2 isn’t about foreskins?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can’t really blame them for not reading the dune books though.

Even the good one was a slog

If you didn't read God Emperor you're missing out

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

TinTower posted:

You mean it's not?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Dune: Spice World

Dune II: Crusader Kings IV

Dune III: I've got worms

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

TinTower posted:

it's not

that's silent hill 3

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Each Dune book is a little worse than the previous one but that's mostly because the plot becomes way too insanely convoluted to keep track of. I read all of them but I can barely remember anything of what happened after God Emperor. The first two are totally fine as a standalone story but God Emperor does have some pretty drat cool poo poo in it

Also yeah Leto II is the most authoritarian character in perhaps all of fiction ever but the politics of Dune don't really apply to our own world. Leto II creates his regime specifically because he knows it'll be destroyed and that it's a necessary step in a series of events to prevent the extinction of humanity, something he knows because he has perfect understanding of all possible futures

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 19:22 on Oct 28, 2021

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I'm only one book into Dune, haven't seen the movie, and know there's quite a few questionable things about race, culture, imperialism, religion, gender, saviourdom, etc. in the books

but like, I kind of thought the point was that they do live in a 40k style hell future? Space monarchy, empires, constant poisonings, the shield + lazgun MAD situation, I kind of thought it was about Paul becoming a terrible new type of power, not fixing the universe

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

I'm only one book into Dune, haven't seen the movie, and know there's quite a few questionable things about race, culture, imperialism, religion, gender, saviourdom, etc. in the books

but like, I kind of thought the point was that they do live in a 40k style hell future? Space monarchy, empires, constant poisonings, the shield + lazgun MAD situation, I kind of thought it was about Paul becoming a terrible new type of power, not fixing the universe

There's a lot of Orientalism, absolutely. It's a book written by a white American in the 1970s that heavily uses Middle East imagery.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Sort of. The long and short of it is that Paul's visions make him realize there's a single route into the future in which humanity doesn't destroy itself, which he calls the Golden Path. He's also aware that achieving it will require him and his descendants to do a lot of hosed up poo poo, but this is the case only because he actually knows what's going to happen

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the first couple books are about Paul becoming a terrible power, and environmentalism

In the third and fourth books, Paul's son Leto II realizes that thinking machines / alien life could wipe out all of humanity. the golden path is his plan to run a very oppressive empire for thousands of years, so when he finally dies, humanity, after being oppressed and restricted from expansion for so long, will flee so far from his empire that it will be impossible for all to be hunted down and killed. also, it takes a long time to breed into people the ability to hide from prescient machines / beings

if it makes you feel better, when he dies his fractured consciousness will live forever in basically hell

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016
I don't remember much from book five, but toward the end one of the main characters gets tortured until he transforms into The Flash

In book six, some of the bene gesserit come back from deep space as genocidal sex witches, and the only way to stop them involves Duncan Idaho's clone banging one of them in a secret spaceship until she rediscovers love.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Duncan Idaho was probably my least favorite thing about Dune. Just this one dude who's around for the events of every single book because every time he dies they make another clone of him. He's not even an interesting character, but by god he's the most important man in history somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Fellow posters, in the last few days I have come to the conclusion that Dune may be kind of dumb.