Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

OgNar posted:

Hmmmmm

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/27/health/antidepressant-fluvoxamine-covid-hospitalization.html

A cheap antidepressant lowers the risk of Covid hospitalization, a large study finds.

That last bit didnt sound so promising, maybe they just worded it wrong.

Woohoo my lovely mental health is finally paying off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

You should always assume the FDA means exact, as someone that worked with them for years.

6 months doesn't mean 5 months and 29 days.

Fair enough. Anyways don't make my mistake or you'll be sad that you drove down there only to find out that ya hosed

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ginette Reno posted:

Fair enough. Anyways don't make my mistake or you'll be sad that you drove down there only to find out that ya hosed

The big takeaway is that you didn't think you were lying, but that pharmacist lying about your vax date is a big deal because they have to cosign that and they're responsible with the FDA for that, and their signature and initials are in a ledger that can be reviewed like a service mark. The DEA has one too. The first two shots may have been free-for-all, but now that gaps are closing it's time to do things right for surveillance and etc.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

MrQwerty posted:

Following FDA guidelines and recommendations to a T is how you don't get the FDA straight the gently caress up your rear end as a corporation, and two weeks ago someone in this thread was telling people to lie about taking MABs to get boosters early.

You could just do it according to the process they laid out, or you can lie about it and see what the consequences are. That's how it works. Don't lie about taking MABs and have a reaction to the booster in the store lol.

That's why they are cracking down on this poo poo.
I didn't need to go that way myself but I think it's wrongheaded to scold someone for trying to protect their own life and that of those around them by working around the system.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

The big takeaway is that you didn't think you were lying, but that pharmacist lying about your vax date is a big deal because they have to cosign that and they're responsible with the FDA for that, and their signature and initials are in a ledger that can be reviewed like a service mark. The DEA has one too. The first two shots may have been free-for-all, but now that gaps are closing it's time to do things right for surveillance and etc.

Oh yeah it makes complete sense why they would turn me away. They'd potentially be legally liable if they gave me a booster early and I had adverse effects. They should fix their poo poo though since I doubt I'm the only one who made the mistake

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Scarodactyl posted:

I didn't need to go that way myself but I think it's wrongheaded to scold someone for trying to protect their own life and that of those around them by working around the system.

is it wrongheaded to tell people to not drug-seek when not eligible, especially in a situation like this?

Yeah I wanna be the gigavaxxed dude too. You're saying you don't trust the science and will circumvent it, because it's not moving fast enough for you.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I want to know what happened to the people that claimed they got like 6 vaccine shots. Like im medically curious

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrQwerty posted:

is it wrongheaded to tell people to not drug-seek when not eligible, especially in a situation like this?

Yeah I wanna be the gigavaxxed dude too. You're saying you don't trust the science and will circumvent it, because it's not moving fast enough for you.

This is some weak dick energy.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

MrQwerty posted:

If drug seeking is bad I don’t want to be right

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The Ferret King posted:

This is some weak dick energy.

Go tell people to lie about taking monoclonal antibodies that cause Crohn's and bowel cancer to get vax shots, then

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

vyst posted:

I want to know what happened to the people that claimed they got like 6 vaccine shots. Like im medically curious

They ascended

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

MrQwerty posted:

The FDA guidelines aren't "the science". We saw how they were developed, as a combination of "the science", political concerns and rear end-covering. Waning immunity is pretty well established (to the standards we can ask during an evolving pandemic) and presents a real threat. Dismissing people wanting a known safe and effective preventstive as "drug seeking" is ridiculous.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

Go tell people to lie about taking monoclonal antibodies that cause Crohn's and bowel cancer to get vax shots, then

seems like this is completely different and not relevant

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

Crawl the gently caress off your perch. You have nothing more to add. You jumped down that one guy’s throat way too much. Shut loving up for one second.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Scarodactyl posted:

The FDA guidelines aren't "the science". We saw how they were developed, as a combination of "the science", political concerns and rear end-covering. Waning immunity is pretty well established (to the standards we can ask during an evolving pandemic) and presents a real threat. Dismissing people wanting a known safe and effective preventstive as "drug seeking" is ridiculous.

It is though, you're acting like we're back at the beginning of the loving pandemic and everything is totally hosed like you aren't doublevaxxed.

Take precautions like you do, jesus christ. Stop trying to jump ahead and act like COVID is this thing your body can't fight because you got your first (j&j) or second dose of whatever 6 months ago. Yeah, a third vaccination is a thing you need to take. Or a second

Two vaccinations for COVID at 6 months is not just like OH HEY WE'RE AT 0% WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE like in January 2020.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Seeing as we don't fully understand the long term effects a non fatal case of covid can have, I don't see "you're not going to die" as a reason to not get the booster that the scientists making the drug recommended

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Schmeichy posted:

Seeing as we don't fully understand the long term effects a non fatal case of covid can have, I don't see "you're not going to die" as a reason to not get the booster that the scientists making the drug recommended

I didn't say, "don't get the booster," jesus loving christ. GET THE BOOSTER WHEN IT IS RECOMMENDED YOU TAKE IT, AT THE 6 MONTH MARK.

Maybe stop trying to gently caress up supply chains and jump the line because you're being selfish as a doublevaxxed person, that's all I'm saying.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What happens if you get both a Pfizer and a Moderna booster? Or Pfizer and J&J? Or all three? Does it help you at all?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Ascension

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

I. M. Gei posted:

What happens if you get both a Pfizer and a Moderna booster? Or Pfizer and J&J? Or all three? Does it help you at all?

Mix-and-match is approved, and it does offer full booster protection (in fact, maybe a bit more, based on a couple of small-scale studies).

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I finally got dose 1 of the vaccine (AZ). Access was limited where I live (non-US) until about 2 or 3 months ago. Since then I've just been pretty busy - I don't have a car so I needed to walk about 30 minutes to the clinic and then of course 30 minutes back. Anyways, glad to finally get that 5g microchip.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 28, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

I didn't say, "don't get the booster," jesus loving christ. GET THE BOOSTER WHEN IT IS RECOMMENDED YOU TAKE IT, AT THE 6 MONTH MARK.

Maybe stop trying to gently caress up supply chains and jump the line because you're being selfish as a doublevaxxed person, that's all I'm saying.

:dafuq: there's tons of shots everywhere in the us. calm down

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Inept posted:

:dafuq: there's tons of shots everywhere in the us. calm down

It is kinda hosed that the US has like tons of booster and throws away expired shots and there are many countries where it's hard or even impossible to get a shot at all. I don't think any one US person's individual decisions has anything to do with that (get the booster whenever it makes sense for you) but this is a global crisis.

There was talk in like... July I think that the US was going to donate 1.5 million J+J shots to the country I live in (population around 5m, so it would have been HUGE) but the red tape too long and the doses expired.

naem
May 29, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

that’s called a neopolitan

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

It is kinda hosed that the US has like tons of booster and throws away expired shots and there are many countries where it's hard or even impossible to get a shot at all. I don't think any one US person's individual decisions has anything to do with that (get the booster whenever it makes sense for you) but this is a global crisis.

There was talk in like... July I think that the US was going to donate 1.5 million J+J shots to the country I live in (population around 5m, so it would have been HUGE) but the red tape too long and the doses expired.

Yeah I think that's a big thing. Sure I get low-risk Americans getting boosters because the shots are sitting there and expiring and whatnot, whatever. But the real question is why the gently caress are they still sending so many shots to places that ain't using them all to begin with to let them expire, instead of like the developing world that has depressingly low vaccination rates. In the long run its getting the rest of the globe vaccinated that'll actually end this (or getting your lovely unvaxxed neighbor vaccinated).

In a sane world you'd sign up for your booster a month ahead of time and they'd allocate shots based on that, and send the rest to places that desperately need it because supply is so constrained they only have a 5% vaccination rate.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

It is though, you're acting like we're back at the beginning of the loving pandemic and everything is totally hosed like you aren't doublevaxxed.

Take precautions like you do, jesus christ. Stop trying to jump ahead and act like COVID is this thing your body can't fight because you got your first (j&j) or second dose of whatever 6 months ago. Yeah, a third vaccination is a thing you need to take. Or a second

Two vaccinations for COVID at 6 months is not just like OH HEY WE'RE AT 0% WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE like in January 2020.

The FDA guidelines are advised by but are not "the science" for the reasons already described, you illiterate ape. Calm the gently caress down, you could start a business with all of the straw men you set up here.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

We're all going to die.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Isn't the increased suicide rate with SSRI use because they slowly ramp up in effectiveness and unfortunately the one thing stopping some people with depression committing suicide is in fact the lassitude that depression can cause? So the treatment takes away that lassitude but not the suicidal thoughts? I remember someone telling me that and it made a lot of sense, but of course an awful lot of bullshit *does* make sense if you don't understand the real situation.

Depressed people are depressed and have low energy. Starting SSRIs can, in some cases, give the person energy before curing the depression, leaving them depressed but motivated, so they commit suicide.

Obviously this a simplification, any actual psychiatric professionals feel free to chime in.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I didn't mean to cause a derail with my Walgreens poo poo posting but I just want to clarify that my intention was NOT to cheat the system and get a booster early. I was simply confused and booked early because their website allowed me to. It wasn't a situation where it just let me book whenever I wanted. It let me book only a few days before my official 6 month date, so I figured maybe there was some small amount of leeway available in how close to the actual 6 month date you had to be. Obviously, that ended up not being the case, but I wasn't trying to cheat the system or lie my way into an early 5g signal. And ultimately I did get it on the correct date anyways so alls well as ends well or whatever the gently caress.

Like if it had let me book whenever I wanted I would have been more likely to say oh ok this is probably not correct and I need to wait until my official 6 months but when it's letting me book like three days before my official 6 month date but not any earlier my thought was maybe there's some leeway there. I knew it wasn't an issue of them being booked constantly either on some but not all dates because I live in a state where nobody wants to vaxx and they have appointments pretty much whenever you want.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I don't think anyone but that one weirdo thought you were cheating.

What is 6 months anyway? 6*30 days? Same day of the month + 6? 6*4 weeks? Do you need to adjust for February being a short month?

Guy Axlerod fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 28, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MrQwerty posted:

Nobody was lying, it was just a poorly coded website. "Surely a competently built website wouldn't let me book before I'm eligible" may be naive, but it isn't deceitful.

Okay, a goon with a 2006 regdate expecting a website to work the way it is supposed to is pretty lol. What a maroon.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No boosters here lmao do you think I can sneak over the border and borrow some of yours?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ginette Reno posted:

I didn't mean to cause a derail with my Walgreens poo poo posting but I just want to clarify that my intention was NOT to cheat the system and get a booster early. I was simply confused and booked early because their website allowed me to.

I gathered that from your very first post. I don't know why the gently caress that one guy was going off on you. :confused:

Also:

ben shapino posted:

We're all going to die.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I accidentally cheated because I read the Criteria wrong on the website but it turns out I would've qualified anyway

naem
May 29, 2011

ben shapino posted:

We're all going to die.

Death, it’s a mugs game! The only reason people die, is because EVERYONE does it. You all just go along with it. It's RUBBISH, death. It's STUPID. I don't want nothing to do with it.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

MrQwerty posted:

lol wtf this is loving weird dude

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
I just got my booster due to being fat and high blood pressure. However, if someone told me that me not getting one would result in someone unvaccinated getting one, I would have not gotten one in a heartbeat. That's not happening though, so....

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

naem posted:

Death, it’s a mugs game! The only reason people die, is because EVERYONE does it. You all just go along with it. It's RUBBISH, death. It's STUPID. I don't want nothing to do with it.

SA is dedicated to Delerium / Despair. Your princess is in a other castle.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So In-N-Out doubled down on their anti-vax stance: https://sf.eater.com/2021/10/28/22750901/in-n-out-ends-indoor-dining-contra-costa-county-vaccine-mandate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

naem posted:

They'll get to you too eventually. Everyone I've known in their 90s had stopped dreading death. When you body sucks and all your friends are dead it's like why am I still here