Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

In similar region historical mismatch discussion, I saw this pretty interesting post on Reddit about how Korea isn't handled very well in Vic 2 and how it seems to be being ported into Vic 3 wholesale. https://old.reddit.com/r/victoria3/comments/qd4pi2/dividing_korea_the_problem_with_vic3s_korea_state/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
The map has a lot of inaccuracies in general. We'll try to fix as much as we can (where it wouldn't be to the detriment of gameplay) but ultimately we're not going to get everything right on release.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
"Get things close enough and then wait for the fans who live there to point out inaccuracies" isn't even a bad plan for something that has to be this globally detailed. It would take a ton of dev time to make sure everything is exactly accurate on release, time better spent on the underlying systems. It's Murphy's Law: The fastest way to learn anything is to get it wrong publicly on the internet

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Kaza42 posted:

It's Murphy's Law: The fastest way to learn anything is to get it wrong publicly on the internet

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
/

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Ibblebibble posted:

In similar region historical mismatch discussion, I saw this pretty interesting post on Reddit about how Korea isn't handled very well in Vic 2 and how it seems to be being ported into Vic 3 wholesale. https://old.reddit.com/r/victoria3/comments/qd4pi2/dividing_korea_the_problem_with_vic3s_korea_state/

quote:

Also before we start, Koramei's wonderful post also applies to a lot of what I'll be saying here.
holy poo poo

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

lmao dokdo on those historical maps

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Wiz posted:

The map has a lot of inaccuracies in general. We'll try to fix as much as we can (where it wouldn't be to the detriment of gameplay) but ultimately we're not going to get everything right on release.

My favourite inaccuracy is when Paradox must have taken old Soviet era maps at face value and Stalingrad was 100 miles away from where it actually is back in Hoi3. :D

Koramei posted:

holy poo poo

Congrats!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Raenir Salazar posted:

My favourite inaccuracy is when Paradox must have taken old Soviet era maps at face value and Stalingrad was 100 miles away from where it actually is back in Hoi3. :D

Зтаlгиgяаб, what does this look like, a game that can read cyrillic??

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Unfortunately, the best Vicky III mod was already made for HoI2

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Unfortunately, the best Vicky III mod was already made for HoI2

:staredog:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Not going to lie, I'm pretty hyped about this game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I want to know if there's a more reliable way to get billions of immigrants as a Latin American state in this game. I plan to abuse this knowledge to become the most powerful country on the planet

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phlegmish posted:

I want to know if there's a more reliable way to get billions of immigrants as a Latin American state in this game. I plan to abuse this knowledge to become the most powerful country on the planet

So, might be a bit of a :can: but shouldn't this probably not be such a no brainer? Yes obviously you as the player want immigration because more population good but there should be some sort of political cost or backlash as the populace sets into a more FYGM mindset? Maybe something like when times are good its easier to encourage immigration; but when times are bad and there's a lot of competition there's more nativism?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Raenir Salazar posted:

So, might be a bit of a :can: but shouldn't this probably not be such a no brainer? Yes obviously you as the player want immigration because more population good but there should be some sort of political cost or backlash as the populace sets into a more FYGM mindset? Maybe something like when times are good its easier to encourage immigration; but when times are bad and there's a lot of competition there's more nativism?

The developer diaries have been pretty explicit about there being things that are a total no-brainer from the perspective of the state, that will be strongly opposed by the various interest groups who's pops benefit from the state not doing those things.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe when you've let in truly ludicrous amounts of German immigrants, you risk them forming a breakaway German-American state

If not I sit back and rub my hands as they assimilate while giving me manpower and economic might. This is also known as the USA strat

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jabor posted:

The developer diaries have been pretty explicit about there being things that are a total no-brainer from the perspective of the state, that will be strongly opposed by the various interest groups who's pops benefit from the state not doing those things.

Yeah I was figuring that it would make sense for interest groups to potentially be opposed; especially aristocrats dependent on slavery as immigrant labour would serve as a threat to their power base and wealth. It could also be interesting if there's other potential pitfalls, like Irish separatists forming a Irish independence lobby in your country depending you fight the British to free Ireland, that'd be brilliant.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

“Knock, knock! It’s the Fenians, and they’re posting Wanted ads in New York newspapers to hire on people for their false flag invasion of Canada!”

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

LonsomeSon posted:

“Knock, knock! It’s the Fenians, and they’re posting Wanted ads in New York newspapers to hire on people for their false flag invasion of Canada!”

Exactly what I was thinking of.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

Maybe when you've let in truly ludicrous amounts of German immigrants, you risk them forming a breakaway German-American state

If not I sit back and rub my hands as they assimilate while giving me manpower and economic might. This is also known as the USA strat

My name is Ben Franklin and I'm here to tell you that all germans are swarthy and different from us, except the ones from Lower Saxony.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought that was Scandinavians, who I always did think tanned suspiciously well

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

I thought that was Scandinavians, who I always did think tanned suspiciously well
No, it was Germans. Danes and Norwegians were white too, having settled in the British Isles, while the Swedes were swarthy since they didn't.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, I'm Benjamin Franklijn, and I say that only Franks count as white. That is, Flanders, the Netherlands (except the northeast obviously), and presumably certain parts of Germany that I'll look up later. So-called France is excluded for having allowed themselves to be assimilated by the local population, and we've submitted a formal request for them to change their name to Walland or something.

Our best race scholars are currently debating the whiteness of Frisians and to a lesser extent West-Flemings, due to their deplorable Saxon influences

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

When I lived in Toulouse I had pretty easy access to med beaches for tourist season, and my actual determination is:

sunburned and shaped like a melting candle: some kind of anglo
birkenstocks, fanny pack, beer gut, and a dumb hat (or naked in public): a german
svelte and tanned: russians and norwegians

Using this genius system you can determine the races of Europe between May and August.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1453360841819045905

Excited to see how they work after all the mentions of diplomatic plays in recent dev diaries.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Diary about diplomatic plays is out!

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1453753675764150277

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

It looks so good. So, so good.

lachek posted:

No, the fact that the Diplomatic Play sets the hard boundaries of the possibility space in the resulting war is a critical feature of the system. The assumption is that every participant has already made all their possible claims ahead of time, to permit all the players to make a calculated decision on how critical this war is to them. I believe it's possible to add war goals via scripted effects though, so special events and the like could potentially introduce this where appropriate.
From the comments, it looks like you can no longer add war goals during the actual war (outside of events). So you have to put all your cards on the table upfront and decide whether it's more important to have an easier war or a more rewarding one.

Wiz posted:

Cut down to Size is a wargoal usable on very infamous countries which forces them to relinquish every single state (subjects included) they did not possess 20 years before the wargoal was demanded. Essentially it completely strips a country of all recent conquests.

This is interesting, it indicates you'll be able to do some really fun stuff with modding and war goals.

Wiz posted:

The aim is that the AI should generally back down if the demand isn't nation-ending and they don't think they can win the war.
I quite like this, wars will be less common but infinitely more impactful when they actually happen. Plus it gives you a very real and material reason to want the highest rank possible.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Are diplomatic plays and great wars going to be different like in V2? Part of how/why WW1 resulted in the peace settlement that it did was demands being formulated after the fact; with often contradictory goals and motivations in mind.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Are diplomatic plays and great wars going to be different like in V2? Part of how/why WW1 resulted in the peace settlement that it did was demands being formulated after the fact; with often contradictory goals and motivations in mind.

Great Wars haven't been addressed. 'War' is next week's topic, but I doubt they'll address Great Wars specifically, as that sounds like something that'd require a dev diary all by itself, likely very far down the line.

e: Oh and OH MY GOD THIS IS EVERYTHING I'VE EVER WANTED FROM A DIPLOMACY SYSTEM

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I assume great war is it’s own thing sinc apparently you can’t declare war at all and it all feeds into the diplo system

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Big fan of this system.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I assume great war is it’s own thing since apparently you can’t declare war at all and it all feeds into the diplo system

Austria-Hungary's immediate reaction to the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand was to make a bunch of impossible-to-accept demands towards Serbia, so that they'd appear vaguely justified in escalating to open conflict. That's a diplomatic play.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Austria-Hungary's immediate reaction to the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand was to make a bunch of impossible-to-accept demands towards Serbia, so that they'd appear vaguely justified in escalating to open conflict. That's a diplomatic play.

I mean yeah but the diary makes it clear your demands are all you can get and no more.

There can’t be a WW1 style treaty within the system so I assume it will be its own special mechanic

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

My assumption is that the basic idea will be the same as in Heart of Darkness, which is to say that a Great War is just a regular war that suddenly got out of hand. So it'd start normally, and then special mechanics would kick in once it begins to dawn on the participants what they've just gotten themselves into.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
A lot of the replies seem to indicate that there's a lot they want to do with the diplomatic plays that they might not get time for. Great Wars might end up being patch/DLC fodder later on and not necessarily in release, though that's just pure speculation.

But Alliances and stuff are still in so I guess there could still be some separate mechanics maybe?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I feel like Great Wars could be fitted into the system by having diplomatic plays play out automatically during any war designated as a Great War, the play being triggered by the most powerful state on the side that triggered the initial play. This would allow more countries to get drawn into the conflict, and the stakes to be raised since it's too late to walk away like you might have done if your allies made those demands before the war triggered.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThaumPenguin posted:

Yeah, the crisis system in Vicky 2 was very clearly inspired by the escalation that led to WW1, where a relatively local conflict spiraled out of control and pulled in all the great powers of Europe, and in turn the diplomatic play system in Vicky 3 is directly inspired by the crisis system. I am curious if they are going to have special circumstances for Great Wars though because there is also stuff in WW1 like the US getting involved late in the war despite declaring neutrality from the start of the conflict, or Russia dropping out because of the whole revolution thing.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
This was basically the system back in early EU4 where if you war decced someone the AI deemed too small it would make their biggest ally the warleader who then got to call in all of their allies. And then if that ally was too small their biggest ally would be the warleader and call in all of their allies.

It had some issues and made war decs past a certain date put out insane results sometimes.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

In terms of great wars there's a few different ways I think they could do things. I think to kick things off you'd want a mechanic in the late game that makes backing down costlier. I was thinking that in the 1900s a technology would unlock that in a diplomatic play with a great power on each side, on backing down all demands are enforced, not just the primary goal. Secondly you'd want a mechanic that allows for parties to join as the war progresses. A simple way to achieve that would be to leave the diplomatic play open after war breaks out, so both sides can try and sway neutral parties in at any stage in the war. These changes would both raise the stakes for making diplomatic demands in the late game, as well as allow for great wars to expand beyond the initial participants. There's more stuff they could add, like introducing secret demands (ala Italy, Sykes-Picot) or a peace conference, but that might be better suited for a DLC that fully fleshes out great wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I can't wait for the inevitable ISP video about conquering Europe as Ulm without going to war by abusing day one exploits in the diplomatic plays system. I mean that in a good way, it looks cool.