Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nothing makes any sense right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im remote viewing a CIA agent getting Havana syndrome right now

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

same as it ever was

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

what if havana syndrome is what happens when you try to remote view something that is protected and it responds to the attempt by inflicting damage

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

maybe this whole op is the IC trying to gather some positive karma and relieve suffering in the world as atonement for all their other actions, by way of offering an exit ramp from the otherwise suffocating despair of watching the impending biosphere collapse

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Spergin Morlock posted:

what if havana syndrome is what happens when you try to remote view something that is protected and it responds to the attempt by inflicting damage

nah they've had psitraps for decades, just ask anyone who has tried to rv dulce, or don't because y'know *makes inscrutable gesture*

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Havana syndrome is actually demons astrally projected at adversaries.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
um https://www.muckrock.com/news/archives/2017/aug/15/cia-life-on-mars/

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Wait you're telling me the program was called STARGATE, but then it got changed to GRILL FLAME?

You know who loves to grill?

That's right. Everything's connected.

:tinylue:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Corpse SPAM > [UFOs] its yellowish...ah, okra colored

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The CIA's Psychic Interactions with Ancient Martians isn't my favorite Flaming Lips track but I think it's a really strong stand-out from their early albums

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

now I’ve done my fair share of stanning for our bearded boy Lue but ultimately he was army counter-intelligence working in actual war zones overseas before working on directly related programs at gitmo

not sure I’m willing to be quite as credulous towards the CIA

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

Also, I suppose they could be doing this because they think another world power (China most likely; maybe India if crazy Hindu nationalism leads to exploring what might be the world's greatest repository of knowledge of this stuff) is using this more effectively than they can because they understand it better and are more open to it.

Or an... otherworldly power...mwhaha. But really, maybe they're worried about that poo poo too.

me: lol the military industrial complex
them: hey, you want to join the psychic wars?
me: I meant, uhhh, love the military industrial complex. where do i sign.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

cia it looks like i can do it, i won't do any mk ultra poo poo but will freelance w/ right of veto for an appropriately MIC-sized sum give me money to to fake things now

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Log082 posted:

you really gonna join up to get astrally bodied by one thousand perfect bodhisattvas?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

gonna make an ap app

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Riot Bimbo posted:

cia it looks like i can do it, i won't do any mk ultra poo poo but will freelance w/ right of veto for an appropriately MIC-sized sum give me money to to fake things now

seconded
I saw the shell and a circular thing so that's pretty good I think
give me the psi-enhancing drugs or ampules or whatever I'm ready

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Log082 posted:

lol if "Veterans of the Psychic Wars" turns out to be the unironic subtitle of GiP

There is this:

Wheeee posted:

now I’ve done my fair share of stanning for our bearded boy Lue but ultimately he was army counter-intelligence working in actual war zones overseas before working on directly related programs at gitmo

not sure I’m willing to be quite as credulous towards the CIA

but

500excf type r posted:

This isn't even the first time they have said as much to the same reaction lol

So the op value is zero unless it's just something improbably benign like loosening the dogmatic boundaries of science because we've hit a big brick wall called "need new ideas more than we need less cranks" in high-level physics.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

really though the CIA is even less trustworthy than the rest of the MIC and only partially because their job is to lie constantly. They're also extremely incompetent. Until I get the equivalent of the F18 guncam videos - or just an actual F18 guncam video of some CIA shill astral projecting, maybe they show up on thermals, I dunno - I'm not going to believe a word they say.

Veteran of the Psychic Wars is a good song, but not as good as Flaming Telepaths

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
yeah, there is the one very real possibility that they have no clue what the gently caress they are doing and just trying to manufacture consent wildly with goals straight out of some conspiracy theory because that's the world they live in anyhow

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Jazerus posted:

you really gonna join up to get astrally bodied by one thousand perfect bodhisattvas?

this post owned me so bad I can't even think of something funny to say of it. just frantically working on something about bloodm wine, and getting nowhere.

Hodgepodge posted:

yeah, there is the one very real possibility that they have no clue what the gently caress they are doing and just trying to manufacture consent wildly with goals straight out of some conspiracy theory because that's the world they live in anyhow

More like some guys spent a while and a lot of money on this poo poo, and now no one wants to admit it was a waste so they keep doubling down and insisting they didn't do something incredibly stupid. I see that kind of behavior all the time even in organizations that can't just classify all the times it didn't work and skew the numbers.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Log082 posted:

More like some guys spent a while and a lot of money on this poo poo, and now no one wants to admit it was a waste so they keep doubling down and insisting they didn't do something incredibly stupid. I see that kind of behavior all the time even in organizations that can't just classify all the times it didn't work and skew the numbers.

It is true, and it might just mean they fudged the numbers, but couldn't fudge them enough to keep funded.

On the other hand, if the people in this thread reporting fairly inexplicable UFO sightings and such are CIA agents, at least they're getting paid to shitpost with me instead of something, uh, awful.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

It is true, and it might just mean they fudged the numbers, but couldn't fudge them enough to keep funded.

On the other hand, something is up with that, and if the people in this thread reporting fairly inexplicable UFO sightings and such are CIA agents, at least they're getting paid to shitpost with me instead of something, uh, awful.

I don't even mean it in terms of justifying future funding, so much as justifying time and money already spent and not admitting it was all a huge waste.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I don't know why they'd be so hardup about justifying money spent over 40 years ago though
seems like it'd be easier to just ignore it at this point

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I don't know why they'd be so hardup about justifying money spent over 40 years ago though
seems like it'd be easier to just ignore it at this point

I'm not explaining this well, sorry. Long work day.

What I'm trying to say is, at the time they did the best they could to justify their work, and now it's embedded institutionally - especially since even the people that have access to the 40+ year documentation aren't going to go and review it in depth when they can just read the top line summary of "This totally worked, for real."

It just resembles things I've seen on a smaller scale, with people picking the data they like and writing it up with the best possible slant. Even the wording of "Enough [...] to defy randomness" is a red flag to me, because what does that actually mean?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ah yeah, I guess that'd make sense. A little white lie that cascades over 40 years to "we had psychic soldiers" during the lunch room chats

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

To me that reads less like institutional CYA bullshit and more like people with no scientific background whatsoever, or really any kind of relevant skills at all, trying to set up a scientific experiment on something nobody understands.

Kind of like every time the military try to do anything that isn't about shooting/blowing things up, but with the added cultural hot air pressure of being super secret high level spies who think they know everything.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

psychonauts 2 was an op for the cia weirdo poo poo department

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just trying to imagine the sheer dunning-kruger power of a bunch of WASP operator types trying to get to grips with ESP stuff

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Log082 posted:

I'm not explaining this well, sorry. Long work day.

What I'm trying to say is, at the time they did the best they could to justify their work, and now it's embedded institutionally - especially since even the people that have access to the 40+ year documentation aren't going to go and review it in depth when they can just read the top line summary of "This totally worked, for real."

It just resembles things I've seen on a smaller scale, with people picking the data they like and writing it up with the best possible slant. Even the wording of "Enough [...] to defy randomness" is a red flag to me, because what does that actually mean?

Makes sense. They're basically admitting that they never conclusively proved that the results were random to a sufficient level of certainty. So the null hypothesis was not falsified sufficiently.

Which could mean anything. Including poor experiment design, etc.

But it looks better if it sounds like it might have been onto something.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

what a mindblowing time to click into this thread.

:tinfoil:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Just trying to imagine the sheer dunning-kruger power of a bunch of WASP operator types trying to get to grips with ESP stuff

gonna lol if havana syndrome is some kind of disorder that arises from abuse of this sort of thing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Psychic agent orange, psychic gulf war syndrome, why not?

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

lmao

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Okay, now I'm sure it's an op.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
it's 1973. you're cia and you're high as balls. you've spent the night watching people screw through a brothel mirror. now, geller is tripping you out as he draws a solar system matching a nearly identical drawing in a nearby a shielded room. later you will feed hand-feed lsd to tim leary like a baby bird

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Okay, now I'm sure it's an op.

1. It has always been an op

2. Nothing about that is incompatible with birds

3. NG are either third tier grift (no bird knowledge, just grift bandwagoning) or second tier grift (have some bird knowledge, using it to grift cash for boring poo poo)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Petey posted:

it's 1973. you're cia and you're high as balls. you've spent the night watching people screw through a brothel mirror. now, geller is tripping you out as he draws a solar system matching a nearly identical drawing in a nearby a shielded room. later you will feed hand-feed lsd to tim leary like a baby bird

stop m aking those fuckers sound cool

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Riot Bimbo posted:

stop m aking those fuckers sound cool

Bad things can be cool and no one likes to talk about it but it's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

ugh this post is the worst... think i'll drop some acid and go have a steak at the only all-night diner

*forgets how to steak*