Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm extremely happy with my comp right now but because I have severe anxiety cannot shake the fact that I'll ever be able to make this much again without doing 3 months of grinding my face into LeetCode and that's enough to make me very unsettled.

big same big same

i don't even have severe anxiety i just fuckin dread the idea of interview grinding again it's such a chore disconnected from real work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

FamDav posted:

i don't know when this crazy dev market stabilizes but there's v clearly blood in the water. anecdotally at amazon people are being given top of the next level band counter offers, and if you believe anything on blind there's rumors there going to reset bands much higher for next year's comp. you have to assume other places are doing/thinking the same.

there is literally no reason beside shurting your ego if you get rejected to apply to places and ask for more money. employers are freaking out.

Well poo poo maybe I'll actually go ahead and study for L6 and go ask a crypto company for $600k then instead of daydreaming about it and half-assing just for L5. Jesus.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Guinness posted:

big same big same

i don't even have severe anxiety i just fuckin dread the idea of interview grinding again it's such a chore disconnected from real work

I hit the "startup lottery" and got a $40k+ payout last time, incentivized by VCs to quit and get that payout all on 1 day, and grinding while unemployed was still miserable.

No idea how people are productive on code problems after work. I'd have to quit again or get fired, or accept a big pay cut, to get this level of TC again.

The gap in pay between figgies and non-figgies should just close imo so I don't feel bad about not LC4TC.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Hadlock posted:

Recruiter was so mad when I asked for more equity, doubly so when I said I was in no rush

at the point they're giving an offer, the recruiter's job is to make you happy and accept it. They have buckets of money/influence they can dip into the HM might not be aware/care about, like a signing bonus. I'd be a little chuffed they had the temerity to get mad.

there's always the teeth-sucking kayfabe that we both REALLY want this to happen, but gosh the current terms aren't happenable (I have to earn $$/I've gotta ask the company)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What is going on with FAANG? I've had multiple cold calls from recruiters for Facebook, Microsoft, and now Google hiring for hourly contract positions this week and I've never seen that before.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

dev turnover is through the roof right now i'm sure they are all bleeding and desperate for warm bodies

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The people that have made millions working at FAANGs have decided they want to take a stand for something after already cashing in on mega figgies.

Editor's Note: I do not condemn anyone for their choice of labor and would not quit a figgies job unless it was like egregiously racist or homo/trans-phobic in a way quitting would directly impact and until I had enough money to retire I'd stay.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

LLSix posted:

What is going on with FAANG? I've had multiple cold calls from recruiters for Facebook, Microsoft, and now Google hiring for hourly contract positions this week and I've never seen that before.

Didn't you hear? FAANG doesn't exist any longer.

https://twitter.com/DynamicWebPaige/status/1453817780365520903

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The people that have made millions working at FAANGs have decided they want to take a stand for something after already cashing in on mega figgies.

also this, big tech stocks are at crazy all-time highs

if you've been a senior dev in big tech the last couple years your rsus have probably shot up anywhere from 2-5x, or more, many six or even seven figure pay days

whole lot of devs with gently caress you money these days

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

No idea how people are productive on code problems after work. I'd have to quit again or get fired, or accept a big pay cut, to get this level of TC again.

As a senior dev I currently spend more time discussing requirements and technical feasibility with Product/other management, and higher-level design, than I do writing code. At this point I code problems for interview prep would probably be rather stimulating, especially without the added pressure of being unemployed and NEEDING to do well on this or that interview exercise.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

I hit the "startup lottery" and got a $40k+ payout last time, incentivized by VCs to quit and get that payout all on 1 day, and grinding while unemployed was still miserable.

The gap in pay between figgies and non-figgies should just close imo so I don't feel bad about not LC4TC.

If you did it once, you should be able to wing it. Then just stack enough interviews over time till you pass one and get an offer.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I don't know, I got some hard loving questions last time!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

luchadornado posted:

Didn't you hear? FAANG doesn't exist any longer.

MANGA

Slightly sad to see their new ticker is MVRS and not META but I guess that was already taken

Resplendentoops
Dec 24, 2002

A man, a plan, a canal, Nicaragua!

Stock ticker, and what antivaxxers on Facebook claim you get from the jab.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is MVRS prepper slang for brain worms

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/wongmjane/status/1453794889091588100

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
My old company made choosing to resign very easy by offering me status quo as a retention offer, so now I'm going to a new place to manage a team that does some kind of Javascript stuff in the guts of the browser that I have no experience in. Can anyone recommend some reading material on how modern browsers work?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

oliveoil posted:

Well poo poo maybe I'll actually go ahead and study for L6 and go ask a crypto company for $600k then instead of daydreaming about it and half-assing just for L5. Jesus.

when practicing your interview problems i would focus on reading comprehension, op

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

By this logic it should have been FAAAN! since 2015.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And now it can be AMANA and we can stick the acronym in a freezer

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

FamDav posted:

when practicing your interview problems i would focus on reading comprehension, op

That's actually something I've worried about. Can you please explain what you feel I didn't comprehend?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

oliveoil posted:

That's actually something I've worried about. Can you please explain what you feel I didn't comprehend?

The bulk of the advice you've been given in this very thread.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
https://us.teamblind.com/s/AGvcFWXm

Market really is crazy right now, goddamn

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

oliveoil posted:

https://us.teamblind.com/s/AGvcFWXm

Market really is crazy right now, goddamn

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I want to know how they got 350k out of 170k salary + 330k stock over 4 years.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
$50k sign on is pretty reasonable if you negotiate for it.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

I want to know how they got 350k out of 170k salary + 330k stock over 4 years.

depends on the target bonus, but it’s probably 50k signing bonus and the rsus being front loaded. more places are doing that.

edit: also probably a troll

FamDav fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 29, 2021

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

asur posted:

$50k sign on is pretty reasonable if you negotiate for it.

That's a $100k sign on.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

VP of engineering, 400k + 1.7% equity
VP' buddy, SRE 300K + 74K starting bonus, forget the equity

Kid straight out of Berkeley, CS grad no experience $150k
Another kid straight out of Berkeley, did not negotiate, $100k

The SRE self-described himself as "gilfoyle" from silicon valley, they still hired him (whatever goon this is, please raise your hand)

I think my next move is to become a founding engineer at a well backed fintech startup with plenty of equity

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ears distinctly failing to bleed

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sorry

The SRE has only four years of experience, if that that makes a difference

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Hadlock posted:

Sorry

The SRE has only four years of experience, if that that makes a difference

It ended in 2019 and is only 2021. So it's not unusual for them to have seen it, or to presume you have.

It's this a series A company? Numbers don't feel super high, especially if it's bay area.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pre series A

Technically bay area but everyone is FTR

300K for SRE is pretty high IMO, I've only seen one non FAANG offer anywhere close to that, that wasn't a manager

Also mostly just impressed there's a 50k spread on two newbies, simply because one guy was too shy to negotiate

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 29, 2021

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
I got email from a recruiter asking me to interview with bit.io last week. They claim they do a 4-day work-week. Not 4x10, just regular work-days but Friday is part of the weekend. They're also doing no-negotiation published salaries: I think you get either $150k or $170k depending on level.

Dropping a day of work seems like a pretty attractive route for a start-up.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Full bennies and everything?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Mniot posted:

I got email from a recruiter asking me to interview with bit.io last week. They claim they do a 4-day work-week. Not 4x10, just regular work-days but Friday is part of the weekend. They're also doing no-negotiation published salaries: I think you get either $150k or $170k depending on level.

Dropping a day of work seems like a pretty attractive route for a start-up.

80% of the work for 50-70% of the pay?

Fwiw Google lets employees (with manager approval) transition to part-time work, 80% for 80%. Think you have to work full-time for a while though first

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Pre series A

Technically bay area but everyone is FTR

300K for SRE is pretty high IMO, I've only seen one non FAANG offer anywhere close to that, that wasn't a manager

Also mostly just impressed there's a 50k spread on two newbies, simply because one guy was too shy to negotiate

are they sre “software engineer who likes managing infra” or sre “i know calling myself a sysadmin pays less”? not that it matters given they’re the vps friend.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Plorkyeran posted:

That's a $100k sign on.

You can get that though I said $50k because they state it's $300k in comp for year 2. As others have said, probably a troll.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
The guy who said it's a troll works for a non-tech company. Doubt he understands what tech cos actually pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Can anyone recommend some reading material on how modern browsers work?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Mountains_of_Madness