Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I guess the good part about 351elec is that by design you can't hose the OS due to it being held in the same state and only altered via configs which you can just reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

LODGE NORTH posted:

Taki Udon is like, the official hype man or whatever for the company. He has a hands-on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAiWAClOW9M

He has a build guide up on his second channel too.
Everything I've seen so far from these videos, this PCB upgrade is an instant buy for me.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

LODGE NORTH posted:

Retroid’s website is teasing the 2+ PCB upgrade for the 29th, $65 USD

https://www.goretroid.com

How worthwhile is it to get this? I read an article that claimed it would let the thing run GameCube games which seems pretty optimistic. Just running Dreamcast well would be good enough though.
I love my retroid but I have mainly used it for mega drive/snes and GBA stuff so far.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Stefan Prodan posted:

If I have 351ELEC already set up on my M will it work seamlessly if it gets inserted into an MP or is the setup different for each?
Different firmware. Most of the hardware is the same but the controls on the P and M are USB, and the MP uses GPIO.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Speaking of firmware, it's so weird that there hasn't been a stable 351Elec release since June 4th. I think they constantly have beta updates, but I'd rather not install those in my 351v just yet if they're experimental/buggy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They were buggy for a little bit but they've been extremely solid in my experience and N64/PSP emulation has gotten some real nice upgrades lately

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

remigious posted:

Oh you’re totally right, I think I would just need to show him how to exit games and shut it off properly. :)
In other news I successfully got my 3ds xl set up the way I want with homebrew and I’m feeling very accomplished and happy to give that device a lot more use.

I was actually going to chime in that a hacked 2DS (regular or XL, your choice) makes a great alternative for kids since there's no futzing around with retroarch and it's made to be turned off at anytime without issues. It's what I use for my two kids that are younger and I've never had any issues with it. For 3DS games you just install them like normal, DS games you can use a flashcart, and I believe NES/SNES/GBC/GBA games can just be installed as virtual console titles.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Stefan Prodan posted:

If I have 351ELEC already set up on my M will it work seamlessly if it gets inserted into an MP or is the setup different for each?

I asked the same question and got "it won't work" back.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

I asked the same question and got "it won't work" back.

Ok thanks guys

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

DrWrestling69 posted:

How worthwhile is it to get this? I read an article that claimed it would let the thing run GameCube games which seems pretty optimistic. Just running Dreamcast well would be good enough though.
I love my retroid but I have mainly used it for mega drive/snes and GBA stuff so far.

According to that Taki Udon video from a few posts ago, it looks like it handles Gamecube pretty well. Or at least Windwaker. If you like the RP2+ it may be a good investment -- it seems incredibly powerful for what it is, but I'm not sure on the specifics.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I know there was a hacking/homebrew thread around here a while back, is that still around? I was wondering if it's still feasible to hack my 3DS and if that might be a cheaper alternative.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Myers posted:

I know there was a hacking/homebrew thread around here a while back, is that still around? I was wondering if it's still feasible to hack my 3DS and if that might be a cheaper alternative.

I’ll link it one second.

This just popped up and while its not a retro console its RGC and he is pretty awesome.

https://youtu.be/oi2RHBvp1HQ

I really really want one of these now. Its super cool

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Here is the Nintendo hacking / homebrew thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I was hoping it was a build your own GBC kit because I would drop coin on a brand new quality teal GBC.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rolo posted:

I was hoping it was a build your own GBC kit because I would drop coin on a brand new quality teal GBC.
Since you're willing to get hands on you could probably buy a GB BOY COLOUR clone and shell swap it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j95K2YiourI

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tiny Myers posted:

And here's the most popular 3DS hacking guide.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah, hacking a 3DS is mostly straightforward. I say "mostly" because it's pretty fiddly and there are a lot of steps. So it's not just a click here to install cfw type thing (like hacking a PSP, if you've ever done that). But it's all very extensively documented and easy enough if you can follow instructions.

As for whether it works as an emulation platform really depends on what you want to emulate. Of course 3DS stuff works perfectly on a 3DS. DS stuff works flawlessly as well, although there are a couple of different methods with different hoops you need to jump through for each. The native (not RetroArch) SNES9x port works very well. I haven't tried that many titles, but every one I tried ran at 60 fps without any hitches or audio problems, and fast forward runs up to like 300 fps in every case I tried it (although about 90% of my experience here is fast forwarding through enemy turns in the first Majin Tensei, dunno if performance is worse in more demanding games). There is a RetroArch port and it has all the cores you'd expect, but most of them have spotty performance (notably the SNES9x cores in retroarch run slower than the "native" 3DS SNES9x port). This is all based on relatively recent (since the most recent 3DS firmware update) experience on a (Japanese) new 3DS XL, and I didn't make any attempt to do all the fiddly performance tuning tricks for individual titles. No idea how much worse emulation is on the older 3DS models.

Anyway, I kinda feel about emulation on the 3DS like I do on the Vita: the stuff it can run "natively" or using OEM-provided emulation tricks (like SNES on 3DS) is great, everything else is a crapshoot and mostly meh. So if you're mostly interested in GB/GBC and SNES emulation (and running platform native stuff like 3DS and DS titles) then a 3DS is great, especially if you like the form factor. Otherwise I wouldn't want to use it as a "main" emulation platform. Definitely nowhere near as flexible as e.g. one of the Anbernic devices.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Tiny Myers posted:

I am not tech savvy at all but I followed along with this guide: https://youtu.be/Szc58v2I-DA and had no problems. It’s super helpful because he has links to everything you need too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You might want to mention how long ago you followed that guide, if it's since the last 3DS firmware update there's no problem, but if it's before that you probably don't want to use a YouTube guide. The text guide I linked before is aggressively upkept, but some random YouTuber probably put up their guide 2+ years ago and then forgot about it, which could lead to a brick if you're trying to do something Nintendo has patched out since the guide went up.

E: Okay, looking at it that video is from last month, so it's probably safe to follow.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I hacked a 2DS XL a couple months ago and it went pretty smoothly. I followed http://3ds.guide

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Thank you all so much for your advice, I'm definitely going to look into it. I loved having a flashcart for my DS and would love to have some stuff on my 3DS XL, with its much nicer screen. How does GBA emulate on it? That was my primary interest, though SNES and GBC would be rad too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tiny Myers posted:

Thank you all so much for your advice, I'm definitely going to look into it. I loved having a flashcart for my DS and would love to have some stuff on my 3DS XL, with its much nicer screen. How does GBA emulate on it? That was my primary interest, though SNES and GBC would be rad too.

For GBA you can inject roms into the official virtual console emulator that Nintendo made for those ambassador GBA games and run them basically 100% perfectly

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I followed that guide for mine a few months ago and it’s been awesome. Only downside is the stick ruins all ligaments in my thumb if I’m playing something like Metroid.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

This is funny as I just hacked my 3ds xl using 3ds.hacks.guide a couple weeks ago. Some advice:

-If you have a 3DS of any kind NOW is the time to hack it, because Nintendo is planning on taking down its 3DS eshop in 2022. Unlike a switch, a hacked 3DS can be taken online, run updates etc. just fine. So it's a good time to get its firmware & all games up to date while it's still easy.

-As mentioned Retroarch can be spotty (I haven't tried it), and on top of that, Retroarch navigation is generally bad, and large SD cards (above 128g) are known to cause problems. The 3DS is just a bad platform for dumping an entire rom collection onto.

-BUT, you can use NSUI to create Virtual Console injected .CIA games out of your GB, GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, & Genesis games. You can even give them icon and banner art, and if you've already scraped your collection, you probably already have boxart and clearlogos that work perfectly for this purpose. It ends up looking really good and is a joy to browse.

-You can also use Forwarder3-DS to make individual DS game forwarders in the same way. The guide mentions using Twilight, and you still have to set that up because of some files F3DS needs, but it's weird to have all the other games there on the main screen but 2DS games in a separate menu.

-Transferring saves between 3DS VC titles and anything else is a big hassle. If you're playing through something on it, expect to *only* be playing on it. Moving saves is doable but it's a multi-step process that involves rebooting into boot9strap and finding the relevant system file to inject/extract your save to. You're not gonna want to be doing it all the time.

I personally am sticking with my rg351 for single-screen consoles & portables and just using the 3ds xl for DS/3DS games due to the bulk of the superfluous screen and crappy analog control, but it works great as a system with a pretty interface that you're manually picking and choosing games to put on and play through.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

zzMisc posted:

I personally am sticking with my rg351 for single-screen consoles & portables and just using the 3ds xl for DS/3DS games due to the bulk of the superfluous screen and crappy analog control, but it works great as a system with a pretty interface that you're manually picking and choosing games to put on and play through.

This is what it boils down to for me as well. You can use emulators and injects and run all kinds of systems on the 3DS but really it's better to just focus on DS and 3DS games for it and use another device for single screen consoles.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CFox posted:

This is what it boils down to for me as well. You can use emulators and injects and run all kinds of systems on the 3DS but really it's better to just focus on DS and 3DS games for it and use another device for single screen consoles.

Agreed

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

If all you have is a 3DS, just hack it and use it. Injects are fine but emulation works well and gives you cheats and fast forward and save states. DS games work best with a flashcard. Even games that claim to be compatible with Twilight Menu aren't always, but a flashcard is 100% compatible.

The only reason I use my Vita for non-DS games is because the screen is nicer, but if I didn't have one already then the 3DS is fine. I wouldn't be looking for a new device for emulation unless I could get handheld PS2/Saturn/GC and I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah DS flashcarts work great. I’ve literally had one problem loading a game ever and it was just because one of the SaGa remakes has two different English patches that work on different carts

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oh good, the day after I bought my device off AliExpress there's apparently a massive sale ramping up towards November for basically everything?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

Oh good, the day after I bought my device off AliExpress there's apparently a massive sale ramping up towards November for basically everything?

Always the way

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Thank you for your service. :patriot:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Thank you for your service. :patriot:

This scar right here? Got it in the Retro Wars of '21 fighting in the Express checkout.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, November 11th is a big Chinese holiday, I forget exactly what it is but there's always a massive sale on Ali. It's a mistake you only make once, though I wasn't expecting them to start hyping it until next week.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I kinda want to get a vita again. I traded mine for a new 3dsxl and my kid destroyed it. I replaced it but still.
I somewhat want a pocket retroid 2, or one of these 351 devices.
I have been going through the following phases:
Oh I need a DMG01 (bought like 3, re-shelling them)
Oh I need a gbc (bought 2, need to fix)
Oh I need to swap the plastic lens for glass on my gba
Oh I need to re-shell this ds lite (sitting in my project box)
So now I’m at the point of wondering if you have a ds lite and gba flash card / ds flash card… is there a reason beyond nostalgia to play any of the other devices?

Also i decided that I hate using my switch as a handheld due to the shape of the joy cons.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

otter posted:

I kinda want to get a vita again. I traded mine for a new 3dsxl and my kid destroyed it. I replaced it but still.
I somewhat want a pocket retroid 2, or one of these 351 devices.
I have been going through the following phases:
Oh I need a DMG01 (bought like 3, re-shelling them)
Oh I need a gbc (bought 2, need to fix)
Oh I need to swap the plastic lens for glass on my gba
Oh I need to re-shell this ds lite (sitting in my project box)
So now I’m at the point of wondering if you have a ds lite and gba flash card / ds flash card… is there a reason beyond nostalgia to play any of the other devices?

Also i decided that I hate using my switch as a handheld due to the shape of the joy cons.
Get a RG351M

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hack your switch and replace all of those devices with just one. And get a satisfye grip

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I don't really like playing GBA games on my 2DSLL. I have a 351P but it seems like a 351MP is a better choice for most people. Alternatively, a 351V if you like the form factor.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
I had been looking at picking up the RG351MP for couch and go gaming, but realized I had a 3ds I did little with. So, thanks for the discussions comparing the 3ds to these third party consoles. I have an n3DSXL and am happy enough with its screen and capabilities for Nintendo systems after getting it all set up and testing it out.

For PSX and PSP, is getting a Vita the best option? A third party would be more all-in-one, and the Vita supposedly struggles with some SNES, for which I have the 3DS, but I would think the Vita’s screen is going to beat out the 3.5” screens out there and play its library better.

I don’t know if or how well any of this covers the Sega lines. I wasn’t a Genesis kid so I don’t have the nostalgia for any of their systems or games other than Shining Force II. I mostly want to play old RPGs, which I played to death on the SNES and PSX.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Tewdrig posted:

Shining Force II.

Still top 10 games I’ve ever played. The sheer number of hours on the sega channel… again on emulators, again on Xbox 360, switch… and I’ll play through it again with my kids soon. And when my polymega shows up some time next year, shining force III.

What’s the best place to get a 351m?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So went ahead and ordered a new 16 GB Micro-SD card* so I can upgrade my RG350 to the Adam image and while the card doesn't come till Saturday I figured I'll get my system opened up now so it's less of a pain later and while it'll definitely be worth it I had forgotten how much it sucks to get that one open to be able to access the internal card slot as those screws are obnoxious to undo(took probably the better part of 20 minutes to do)

Thankfully once I get the image done I'll hopefully not have to mess with it again for a long time

*only needed one for the image as I have an unused 512 GB card lying around that I'm going to use for my games which should be more than enough space for not only basically every 8 & 16 bit game in existence but probably a decent amount of the better games for the PS1 and other CD systems I'd be using with the thing