Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Ever since T90 switched to facebook the streams have been pretty much dead compared to before, lost over 75% of his viewerbase. The money must have been really, really good.
I guess that explains why I haven't seen them streaming at twitch for some time now. At least they still upload to youtube or they would have totally torpedoed their career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Toast King posted:

I've sunk so much time into AoE2 DE with a couple of friends over the last 2 years, I'm very excited for this game. Looks like it'll be a fun change of pace, plus if online is good it'll be nice playing with systems that people haven't spent 20 years optimising and mastering for everyone online.

Thats whats exciting to me. Gonna be some noobies/not pros playing so i dont feel so compelled to be ultra omega amazing in my build order and such. Gonna have a good golden age of gaming for a bit

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Poil posted:

I guess that explains why I haven't seen them streaming at twitch for some time now. At least they still upload to youtube or they would have totally torpedoed their career.

He apparently got a massive payout, like set for life for the whole family money.

I really like T90 personally but I've been feeling a bit down on his AoE4 stuff; his obsessively dedicated focus on AoE2 that's powered him to not just work full time on a lone game for close to a decade but spend his free time on it too has been phenomenal for producing an engaging and knowledgeable caster for AoE2 but... watching him in a different game, even one that's like 70% the same game, his AoE4 streams have both been consistently negative and also... imo for utterly stupid things. He's calling the lack of 100% rebindable hotkey support something that makes it outrageous for the game to be $60 (the price games have been for 11 years now), and just bemoaning all manner of tiny things.

I dunno I guess I'm just whining. Like I said I like him and his casts have been a staple of mine for years now, so I was honestly pretty unphased about following him to Facebook, but his AoE4 stuff has just been a bummer considering it seems to be a pretty loving great game all things considered.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I've just got zero interest in any streamers or similar people's opinions and videos about AoE4. It's nice for 2 after it's been established for so long, but I just want to enjoy it on its own merits and see what fun things I can figure out with some friends. Every video is just streams of comments of people mad that it isn't exactly the same as 2, or is too different, or a million other pointless things.

Joke's on me for looking at YouTube comments though, I should definitely know better by now.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Koramei posted:

He's calling the lack of 100% rebindable hotkey support something that makes it outrageous for the game to be $60 (the price games have been for 11 years now), and just bemoaning all manner of tiny things.

Honestly, he's got a point. I'll still give the game a shot but no customizable hotkeys (and no side mouse buttons :argh:) seems ridiculous. I'm really curious what the reason is for not having it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If the game had a readily apparent flaw, it's the hotkey situation, not even just not being able to fully customize them, but hotkeying control groups and units being forever bound to the control group they get sent to which can mess up orders if you accidently add the wrong units to a group and they get sent travelling between the two.

That and I'd prefer the option to group by building type instead of by age, I keep getting confused which is the age 3 building group is (I know it's the third group but still)

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 28, 2021

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I’m going to play this game today and no internet video freak can stop me.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Milo and POTUS posted:

When did cheats off become the default for single player skirmishes? If you ever wanted to try a build before just cranking out cars you could. Now it's off by default and I don't know when it was

I'm gonna guess this is related to achievements. Enabling cheats will disable whatever skirmish-mode achievements there are.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Bought it yesterday though my 6 yr old Gaming Laptop is probably going to struggle to run it :negative:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

achillesforever6 posted:

Bought it yesterday though my 6 yr old Gaming Laptop is probably going to struggle to run it :negative:

It ran surprisingly well enough in my 4 year old Dell with a GeForce 940MX. On medium-high at 720p, that is.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I hope this game is good which like I played so many RTSes that the bar is low for that since I just like building armies and building stuff; but I hope it sells really well so we can finally get a Age of Mythology DE and Age of Mythology 2 drat it!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Good on t90 for getting his bag, i'll prolly never remember to catch a stream on FB tho so I guess it's the occasional yt video only for me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love love love the Age of Empires series, and I went into this wanting to be intentionally blind. Played a Skirmish match as my first thing I did in-game, and I really like everything I saw. I wish there were more civilizations, but otherwise this is a really good sequel to my favorite RTS series, and I really appreciate the quality of life updates.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BIgDevine posted:

The real question is can you still get the cobra car and is it now in 4K?

I need to know this! I am very curious about cheat codes for single player.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
Really like that teching to a new age doesn't tie up your town center anymore. Can keep cranking out villagers

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I love love love the Age of Empires series, and I went into this wanting to be intentionally blind. Played a Skirmish match as my first thing I did in-game, and I really like everything I saw. I wish there were more civilizations, but otherwise this is a really good sequel to my favorite RTS series, and I really appreciate the quality of life updates.

There are clearly less than aoe 2 after two decades but each civ is way more unique.

The Rus own

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

There are clearly less than aoe 2 after two decades but each civ is way more unique.

The Rus own
Plus I imagine there will be a bunch of DLC civs

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I went to play this on Game Pass and it says it's 218.65gb.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sinteres posted:

I went to play this on Game Pass and it says it's 218.65gb.

It was like.. 40gb to install on steam

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It looks like that includes the 4k assets and there isn't a way to de-select it on Game Pass yet.

E: Nevermind, I figured it out.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I had to redownload the entire game? Guess the steam preload was messed up or something

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

I said come in! posted:

I was skeptical considering the low number of playable factions but it's really not bad, they added a lot of flavor to each of them! I enjoyed playing the beta with pals (and they're also gonna buy it) and I think starcraft 2 was the last RTS I played with them.

We'll see if they gently caress it up somehow, but so far I think it's pretty good!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The campaign cinematic are extremely good

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Sinteres posted:

It looks like that includes the 4k assets and there isn't a way to de-select it on Game Pass yet.

Please share!

For anyone else, go to the game 'bundle' and you can scroll down to see what's in said bundle, click on the game.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Dunno if I'll get this cause I've also got an old gaming laptop, but I've been watching streams on youtube and this guy Turin is a pretty well known Total War Warhammer streamer who is quite good, he's been uploading matches of AOE4 and I'd imagine he'll continue with that, so check it out if you're looking for stuff.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is it possible to get WASD controls working? I rebound my camera pan to use WASD instead (and rebound the grid keys to something else) but it still didn't work

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Minor bug, but I got this after completing the art of war...

Also this is my first playthrough on each art of war. Post your records so I can feel bad about mine.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You got both the economy ones within three seconds of me lol

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Aoe 4 feels weak and impotent to me, lack of byzantines is loving disgusting to my sensibilities

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
How is multiplayer? I hear there's no ladder? Just a hidden MMR?

Watched Grubby play briefly and it feels really ... slow? But I'm coming from the WC3/SC2 RTS perspective. (I haven't played AoE2 multiplayer since more than 20 years ago...)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's definitely slower than starcraft but faster than aoe2 afaict.

The ranked ladder is coming.... Next month? Gives everyone time to catch up to the people who had prerelease access

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I really like the pacing of AoE4, dark ages is over at 5mins unless someone drush. (I've only played against 1drush and it seemed bad). But midgame of feudal to castle to imp is nice in my opinion. It seems like a lot of the popular streamers from none age games let their games drag on because they don't know how to siege properly.

I think the average gamelength feels good, each period is unique and has different interactions available and none last too long. (Speaking purely 1v1)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It was like.. 40gb to install on steam

Gamepass pc told me 86ish :shrug:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Looks like they fixed both control groups being permanent and the towncenter bell sound effect being removed since stress test.

There are some handy hotkeys out there, F1-2-3 let's you select eco/mili/tech buildings, crtl-. selects all idle villagers (I'd recommend rebinding that so you don't need both hands)

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Looks like they fixed both control groups being permanent and the towncenter bell sound effect being removed since stress test.

There are some handy hotkeys out there, F1-2-3 let's you select eco/mili/tech buildings, crtl-. selects all idle villagers (I'd recommend rebinding that so you don't need both hands)

F4 also lets you queue villagers from every tc. Helps save having to do h-q-h-q etc...

Edit: I was wrong, upon further testing it does not work how i thought it did..

Keegers fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 31, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Keegers posted:

F4 also lets you queue villagers from every tc. Helps save having to do h-q-h-q etc...

Hot drat, that saves a control group, any other useful ones that are easy to miss?

/ selects all scouts one at a time, ' all monks.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Also Rus seem as strong as I thought they would be, great gather bonuses to wood/food and enough gold from hunting every deer on the map to let you ignore a mining camp in the dark age and still age up and from what I can see the best feudal age defenses available.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I can’t tell if Mongols are very good or very bad but they’re very very fun

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Also Rus seem as strong as I thought they would be, great gather bonuses to wood/food and enough gold from hunting every deer on the map to let you ignore a mining camp in the dark age and still age up and from what I can see the best feudal age defenses available.

If I play against rus, I immediately head straight to their hunting spots with my scout. I've been able to delay a couple players with this. I'm trying to decide if it's worth building another scout to collect my sheep, but not sure if I want to skip a worker that early

Keegers fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

double post..

Here's the unit counter sheet they gave out for deluxe edition. It was "hidden" in the game files ..\steamapps\common\Age of Empires IV\Unit_Counters_Chart