Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

SkunkDuster posted:

Can track saws be calibrated if you use a saw blade with a wider/thinner kerf than what comes stock on the saw?

edit: I don't know why I hit quote instead of reply. Happy halloween!

Get a new zero clearance strip and rip away (unless it's a wider kerf in which case skip step 1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
If anyone has been wanting the Makita 36v track saw and has had trouble finding one like me you may want to take a gander at Amazon. I tried to buy one back in March but there was no stock anywhere and my local industrial supplier said they were backordered for 6+ months, pandemic supply causality. Just noticed a short bit ago though that Amazon has them in stock all of a sudden and even at a small discount.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah, I bought one a couple weeks ago. I love that saw.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Someone was asking about Robot Vacuums, Amazon has the Shark self emptying one on sale today for $319, normally $599. drat good deal, I have this one and we love it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Shark-R100...&ref_=pd_gw_unk

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Does anybody make a good tool for breaking down cardboard boxes? It's a never ending battle trying to get them in the recycling, and my box cutter ain't cutting (heh) it. Bonus points if it's DeWalt.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Smugworth posted:

Does anybody make a good tool for breaking down cardboard boxes? It's a never ending battle trying to get them in the recycling, and my box cutter ain't cutting (heh) it. Bonus points if it's DeWalt.

Put a new blade in your box cutter. Blades should be changed often. They're inexpensive and a 10 to 15 dollar box of them should last most of your adult life.

If you really want to rep team yellow you can get their blades and a team yellow utility knife.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Heavy-Duty-Blades-for-Utility-Knives-75-Pack-DWHT11004/202710456

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hand-Tools-Knives-Blades-Knives-Utility-Knives/DEWALT/N-5yc1vZ1z18gf5Z4j2

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Put a new blade in your box cutter. Blades should be changed often. They're inexpensive and a 10 to 15 dollar box of them should last most of your adult life.

If you really want to rep team yellow you can get their blades and a team yellow utility knife.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Heavy-Duty-Blades-for-Utility-Knives-75-Pack-DWHT11004/202710456

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hand-Tools-Knives-Blades-Knives-Utility-Knives/DEWALT/N-5yc1vZ1z18gf5Z4j2

I'd rec Olfa instead of Dewalt, at least for the handle: https://www.homedepot.com/p/OLFA-25-mm-Utility-Knife-EH-1/206431677

That twist-locking mechanism is :yum:

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Johnny Truant posted:

I'd rec Olfa instead of Dewalt, at least for the handle: https://www.homedepot.com/p/OLFA-25-mm-Utility-Knife-EH-1/206431677

That twist-locking mechanism is :yum:

I cannot recommend a Tajima knife enough.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I have the DeWalt box cutter and a 50 pack of bi-metal blades, but I was curious if there was an electric tool with which to murder boxes in droves.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Take your pick, but they'd probably all be dangerous as hell. Reciprocating saw, circular saw, jig saw, angle grinder, multi tool.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
You could use a CNC router to break down your boxes into decorative patterns

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Smugworth posted:

I have the DeWalt box cutter and a 50 pack of bi-metal blades, but I was curious if there was an electric tool with which to murder boxes in droves.

Obviously the Bosch chainsaw is the perfect box opener
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2dJLDxoTIY

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Take your pick, but they'd probably all be dangerous as hell. Reciprocating saw, circular saw, jig saw, angle grinder, multi tool.

Flamethrower, don't forget flamethrower!

(Please forget the flamethrower)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cardboard is rough and abrasive to start with, and corrugated cardboard like you'll find in most shipping boxes and the like is ~3 layers of cardboard and two layers of adhesive. It eats blades way faster than most people think it does, and that's as applicable to power tools as it is to utility knives.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Smugworth posted:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Khizan posted:

Cardboard is rough and abrasive to start with, and corrugated cardboard like you'll find in most shipping boxes and the like is ~3 layers of cardboard and two layers of adhesive. It eats blades way faster than most people think it does, and that's as applicable to power tools as it is to utility knives.

This, plus most people don't seem to realize just HOW DISPOSABLE disposable utility knife blades are/need to be.

When I have a serious amount of large cardboard to cut up (like, large package shipments) I will absolutely put a short blade (usually a demo or metal blade) on the sawzall, but it's really overkill for most of anything like that if you just have a sharp utility knife blade.

I will also admit that the very nice and large fire pit at my new place has been used more for burning off cardboard boxes than anything else.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Was also about to suggest a mini chainsaw a la AvE.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Lol at you snowflakes that use knives and poo poo to cut up boxes.
You ain't a real man unless you go to the fertilizer store and the gas station, get some Diesel and uhhhhhhh.......... Like so yeah, probably burning them in a fire pit would be good, or like sharp blades or whatever yeah.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i wonder if used cardboard is still our #1 export to china

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i wonder if used cardboard is still our #1 export to china

I thought China stopped accepting most garbage/recycling from the US several years ago

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Squibbles posted:

I thought China stopped accepting most garbage/recycling from the US several years ago

lets hope so

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Squibbles posted:

They did, and this is why basically zero percent of comingled recycling is getting recycled anymore.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Motronic posted:

When I have a serious amount of large cardboard to cut up (like, large package shipments) I will absolutely put a short blade (usually a demo or metal blade) on the sawzall, but it's really overkill for most of anything like that if you just have a sharp utility knife blade.

Ok, I've already got a couple sawzalls, maybe I'm good

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Box cutting chat:

Former grocery store clerk checking in. You want these, and only these: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00006IC0L/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_GN4PZANWA0NRQSKRWSK5

Get a 100 pack of single edge razor blades and keep 2-4 of these on you, flipping and changing the blades often.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stealie72 posted:

Box cutting chat:

Former grocery store clerk checking in. You want these, and only these: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00006IC0L/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_GN4PZANWA0NRQSKRWSK5

Get a 100 pack of single edge razor blades and keep 2-4 of these on you, flipping and changing the blades often.

Yeah these are legit.

They look and feel like throwaway garbage, but they work. Razor blades are so much thinner and sharper than the “utility” format.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

They look and feel like throwaway garbage, but they work.

Because they are literally throwaway garbage. If you aren't working for an employer who won't buy you something better get some decent utility blades (what's in there) and a decent handle (what that very much isn't). They are ergonomically garbage and if you aren't doing minimum cost product because you go through hundreds of these things a year (and asking in this thread probably means you aren't) be nice to yourself for very little extra money.

No offense intended stealie, but you can do better for not much more. These are not-quite-lowest-cost bulk throwaway items. If you're not doing this in bulk and handing them to people who will walk off with your more expensive handles and boxes of blades there is no reason to do this to yourself. They are an ergonomic nightmare.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 29, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I mean that blades of the first format are universally just not as good as blades of the second format.

I believe that the first format is original to utility knives. I know that the second is a repurposed shaving blade format from the turn of the twentieth century. It’s also widely used in biological laboratories for sectioning tissue with microtomes, and that’s what the best blades are marketed for.

If you know of a more durable and ergonomic holder for the second sort of blade, that holds the edge parallel to the handle for cutting and not perpendicular for scraping, by all means link it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 29, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Nice to hear you all talking about the absolute worst way to deal with cardboard boxes. Get on my level https://www.zoro.com/makita-18v-lxt-cut-out-saw-xds01z/i/G7113666/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There is also this blade format that comes from a different turn‐of‐the‐century shaving device (the Durham Duplex):

For whatever reasons, probably largely inertia, they are today used for installing carpet and for grooming dogs.

These blades are O.K., somewhere between the other two types for most uses. Bizarrely, the blades marketed for carpet use are the sharper of the two. Neither is sharp enough that you would want to shave with them.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Man up and just punch those things into cellulose.

Actually I've got an old heavy Kobalt they don't even make any more. Cool looking, scuffed up.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
The milwaukee fastback is super smooth and nice and the lutz 357 is big (so maybe you won't lose it) and has blade storage for when they go dull quicky and a quick install system. I thought it was goofy at first but I like how it feels.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Actually I've got an old

Holy poo poo we're all so surprised!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Man, I've always just folded the boxes with the corrugated grain in half or however they'll fit flat into my recycling bin. Flat is a much better fit then cutting to pieces.

As a former store stocking clerk, cutting cardboard boxes is only done when you have to do it. Large oversize boxes or boxes that can't break down flat are a good example.

Utility knife is easiest and replace blades often. Either the double ended trapezoid or my favorite, the olfa break-off style. Much faster and easier to snap and go then to undo the knife and switch the blade around.

There are also several kinds of power scissors. I've used some for tradeshow booth materials like cutting large amounts of heavy fabric and poster board/vinyl graphic sheets. I'm sure they could handle cardboard. They're much faster and cleaner cutting than I would have thought. Obviously there are some lesser duty crafting types and some heavier duty.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I mistakenly bought a non retractable Stanley knife the other day, I'm just used to the ones with the slidey lever on top. It came with a really lovely plastic triangle to go on the blade end, which feels like a sliced fingertip waiting to happen.

So I guess I need to buy another one.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Verman posted:

There are also several kinds of power scissors. I've used some for tradeshow booth materials like cutting large amounts of heavy fabric and poster board/vinyl graphic sheets. I'm sure they could handle cardboard. They're much faster and cleaner cutting than I would have thought. Obviously there are some lesser duty crafting types and some heavier duty.

Yeah, but cardboard is still gonna trash their blades and then you're gonna have dull power scissors trying to gum their way through cardboard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have not considered using my hackzall on cardboard, but maybe I should.

Sometimes I have to throw out fruit boxes that are a pain because they use thick cardboard and it’s all glued together.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Platystemon posted:

For whatever reasons, probably largely inertia, they are today used for installing carpet and for grooming dogs
Wait, what?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slugworth posted:

Wait, what?

https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-10-carpet-knife-blades-98541.html

All the same blade size and shape, originally patented in 1907 for a safety razor. Multiple industries have coopted it in the century since because the blades were cheap and widely available.

That said, I didn’t see any being marketed today for dog grooming, so maybe they’ve finally moved on.

Also, apparently, these blades are also sold for use in pathology. I didn’t know about that one.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 29, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Also, apparently, these blades are also sold for use in pathology. I didn’t know about that one.

Was gonna chime in to say I only know that knife by the name "path blade" :science:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squibbles posted:

They've firewalled your posts, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The milwaukee fastback is super smooth and nice and the lutz 357 is big (so maybe you won't lose it) and has blade storage for when they go dull quicky and a quick install system. I thought it was goofy at first but I like how it feels.

Holy poo poo we're all so surprised!

Yeah the fastback w the screwdriver attachment is awesome