Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

countdown to the woke chiding takes that you really should be seeing something more Yonic, and wow it sure does say a lot about you that you didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

My mind is telling me that surely this is satire; then it reminds me that I cannot be sure of that anymore, and that it may have been foolish to be sure of it at all.

e: Yes, I checked because the name Meta is so stupid it didn't register that they'd actually go through with that so I didn't get the joke.

e2: The more I think about it, the more perfect a statement about everything wrong with "our generation" that name is.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 20:57 on Oct 28, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I love how everyone is universally making fun of Facebook's new name (Meta, sadly it isn't "Meat") - I haven't seen a single person online say anything good about it. Everyone thinks the name is dumb, and everyone thinks the logo looks awful. But an executive likes it so that's how it is.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
What does the ultimate ideas guy with no actual imagination or talent go to when they need to change something? They go "meta." It's so perfect, I hate it so much. Thank you, Mark Zuckerburg. I hate you, unconditionally. Just be you.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Meta my balls gabagoo

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Shear Modulus posted:

the next step is trying to track you throughout the store via bluetooth or whatever and pitching you stuff on your coupon app in real time, or tracking your web usage through the store's free wifi to see that you're looking up the price for this thing on amazon and then immediately offering to match that price so they don't lose that sale.

Yeah, I was thinking the inevitable issues with how people actually behave (me standing indecisively in front of the freezer while someone else reaches in from the side without really seeing the price screen) will drive this to gaze-tracking levels of surveillance to deconflict prices/maximizing engagement/ whatever. Which I believe would answer how

Thanatosian posted:

they'll make it racist, too.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Some serious dystopia, right down to the "if you're not a criminal, you've got nothing to hide!"

The people against it should just pull literally all of the records for the people who voted for it and their families and present it in a Power Point at the next HOA meeting.

"Looks like you left late for work a little late on Wednesday, Bob; getting a little morning delight in with the lady, eh? What's wrong, Bob, if you're not a criminal you have nothing to hide!"

Everyone has lots of stuff to hide and 99.9% of it isn't criminal, is the thing. And the people who say this poo poo know this.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

There are also some laws which are very commonly broken, but which can be used for selective prosecution, like how during the 2020 protests there was some use of statutes on the books related to loitering on sidewalks or whatever that hadn't been enforced in 30 years

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasn't there a thread in here that was asking what it's new name was gonna be and someone was like "they've been real obsessed with meta poo poo lately"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shear Modulus posted:

they're going to try to claim some extremely common word like "Book" or "Verse" or "Meta"

Somebody get this person one third of a prize

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Hodgepodge posted:

What does the ultimate ideas guy with no actual imagination or talent go to when they need to change something? They go "meta." It's so perfect, I hate it so much. Thank you, Mark Zuckerburg. I hate you, unconditionally. Just be you.

Reminds me of Elon wanting to put an "X" on everything because obviously that makes it cooler :downs:

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Reminds me of Elon wanting to put an "X" on everything because obviously that makes it cooler :downs:

MeTax
hmm......

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

I love how everyone is universally making fun of Facebook's new name (Meta, sadly it isn't "Meat") - I haven't seen a single person online say anything good about it. Everyone thinks the name is dumb, and everyone thinks the logo looks awful. But an executive likes it so that's how it is.

zuckerberg has his head so far up his rear end that he thinks he's infallible and shits gold. hes like adam neumann except actually too big to fail

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1453805979443810315

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
🤖: 3d street art? thats cool!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Zuck talks like one of those people in language learning software. Like he's just focused on making sure you hear all the words and know how to pronounce them but with absolutely no care given to the cadence of the sentence or where the emphasis should be.

Like when he asked if she could send that to his Dad it almost felt like I was supposed to repeat the sentence back and be graded on it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Honest Thief posted:

🤖: 3d street art? thats cool!

Oh no it's fading, let me just pay some money to extend how long I get to experience art

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oh no it's fading, let me just pay some money to extend how long I get to experience art

imagine a subscription service stomping on a human face forever

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

I see demons

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the future sucks rear end

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Shear Modulus posted:

the future sucks rear end

it's so much worse than the darkest dystopia science fiction.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

That may have been me. And it's not only a matter of updating prices in real-time; if you can do that, and you're using something like Amazon's no-checkout model, where it just charges you as you wheel your cart out the door, they could charge different individuals different prices based on the personal data they have gathered about you.

this reminded me of that time some travel website used adaptive pricing and just flat-out added $50 to the cost of plane tickets if you were using a Mac.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
This is wild :mitt:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

jesus loving christ, McDonald's is launching an NFT for the 40th anniversary of the McRib.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

they reanimated the beck odelay cover dog

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

gently caress me

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Twitter is still free

https://twitter.com/gilbertjasono/status/1453815315025047552

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I was twelve once, but the real world forced to me to develop a crippling fear of my own insufficiency. Which is not fun and probably stifled me immensely. But it's probably better than the confidence that comes with always being the boss except with your dad.

Actually since I had that already at twelve, the real benefit was probably in pushing past it and just not caring to some degree. But again,

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/subtoconnorpls/status/1453816060319305737

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I am nonetheless wholly committed to calling the company Meat for the next few months.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/Meta/status/1453873516437254168

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I'm having a fever dream, none of this is real, I'm in a hospital bed somewhere, dying. I have to remain optimistic.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hey! Are you cumming?
Yeah!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Starting to realize that Zuckerberg does not know very much about computers or the internet

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm having a fever dream, none of this is real, I'm in a hospital bed somewhere, dying. I have to remain optimistic.

my hands feel like two balloons

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

see fuckerberg is full of genius ideas he deserves to be megarich and all his robot heirs deserve it too, forever

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

This is just VRChat

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Line Feed posted:

This is just VRChat

no it's The Metaverse

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shear Modulus posted: