Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Godzilla07 posted:

At this point I'd really like to see how awkward James Franklin at Penn State in 2022 would be:

https://twitter.com/onwardstsports/status/1453489092856094725?s=21

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

USC got their man

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Who could it be at this point? UConn? Not Tech, surely

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Tech would be perfect for him, it's nice and flat, not much chance to wreck your bike

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

fast cars loose anus posted:

Tech would be perfect for him, it's nice and flat, not much chance to wreck your bike

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LSU finally getting their man

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
this is the year michigan gets the loving bag. i dont even care about the playoffs anymore (im that broken). give me ohio state's HEAD

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lady Radia posted:

this is the year michigan gets the loving bag. i dont even care about the playoffs anymore (im that broken). give me ohio state's HEAD

lol ohio state is going to do terrible things to Michigan this year

70-3

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

fast cars loose anus posted:

Boy that Franklin quote is something

The Tweet is intentionally provocative. It is cobbled together out of fragments of three different sentences.

https://twitter.com/ChewBigRedGum1/status/1453520714342993927?s=20

I'm not exactly sure what he's trying to say, but it isn't exactly what that tweet is saying.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
james franklin is a turd in a sea of turds

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

PostNouveau posted:

lol ohio state is going to do terrible things to Michigan this year

70-3

I will be at that game, or at least my mother will extend me an invitation to attend it with her. I was there in 2011 when Michigan last won it and it's gotten harder and harder to agree to go ever since...I think they will hang and then lose on some bullshit at the end, 2016-style. Sigh.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I will be at that game, or at least my mother will extend me an invitation to attend it with her. I was there in 2011 when Michigan last won it and it's gotten harder and harder to agree to go ever since...I think they will hang and then lose on some bullshit at the end, 2016-style. Sigh.

The Spot Was Good.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Latest in TTU coaching search: Traylor seems to be waiting to see what TCU does with Patterson. Sonny Dykes is still a main candidate. And apparently there's over $100 million of cash being pledged by non-tech folks behind hiring Art Briles. Yup, $100 million in donations by mostly Baylor folks to hire their scandal.

Word is that the two big money donors that are on the "committee" are at odds with each other over their preferred candidate. Hocutt has gone rogue before, I wouldn't be surprised if Sonny Dykes is announced after this weekend's games as a reaction to this coaching search getting away from him.

I hate this dumb sport.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 28, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It would be deeply unusual for anyone to take a job before the regular season is over

DocPsychosis
Apr 5, 2008

Welcome to the anxiety closet.

General Dog posted:

It would be deeply unusual for anyone to take a job before the regular season is over

Isn't it also deeply unusual to announce someone's firing halfway through the season but let them keep coaching till the end of it?

We are in unusual times.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DocPsychosis posted:

Isn't it also deeply unusual to announce someone's firing halfway through the season but let them keep coaching till the end of it?

We are in unusual times.

No, that has quite a bit of precedent. Only time I can think of where a coach publicly accepted a new job before the conclusion of the regular season was when Jimbo left FSU before one weird December non-conference game that they'd rescheduled.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Usually, if this happens, it's either a "will finish coaching, but leaving at end" or a loosely held secret where a hire is made but not announced to anyone but the money folks until the season ends.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Usually, if this happens, it's either a "will finish coaching, but leaving at end" or a loosely held secret where a hire is made but not announced to anyone but the money folks until the season ends.

Somebody please correct me if I'm missing an obvious one, but I can't think of a single case in recent history (besides the aforementioned, which occurred in the week leading up to an oddball championship week game) when a college coach has actually been announced as new head coach somewhere else before regular season is concluded. You see outgoing coaches fired or announcing resignation and playing out the string, but I've never seen the opposite. Closest we've seen is Petrino bailing on the Falcons mid-season, but NFL to college is a different dynamic.

If Hocutt wants to throw water on the boosters in question, he could leak that Dykes or whoever is his man and that they have a handshake deal, but that's at the risk of really pissing off said coach before pen has actually gone to paper.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

surprised tech isn’t going after traylor with both barrels, but i was also surprised when south carolina didn’t get chadwell, so shows what i know

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

also i imagine bobby petrino will be at a solid g5 job at best after someone like dykes or napier heads for P5 money

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Low key getting a little fired up about Rhule next year. Depends on the OC. I don't think he'd bring Brady with him because Brady will probably find another NFL job. My ideal scenario is that Penn State backs a dumptruck of money to Yurcich's house and keeps him from following Franklin to LSU or USC.

If Franklin is here next year, it's because he whiffed, and I'm not sure I want at least one season of a dead man walking as head coach. He will just not give a poo poo at all, and it will set the program back. You gotta fire him unless he finishes strong and this whole thing was just a play for more leverage.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Declan MacManus posted:

surprised tech isn’t going after traylor with both barrels, but i was also surprised when south carolina didn’t get chadwell, so shows what i know

I think he's still top target with Sonny Dykes a close 2nd.

Art Briles, who has cash on his side, and Mike Leach who has apparently reached out via agent would be the 2nd tier of likelihood

3rd tier, long shot types, are guys like Joey McGuire, Sonny Cumbie, and Graham Harrel

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Komet posted:

Low key getting a little fired up about Rhule next year. Depends on the OC. I don't think he'd bring Brady with him because Brady will probably find another NFL job. My ideal scenario is that Penn State backs a dumptruck of money to Yurcich's house and keeps him from following Franklin to LSU or USC.

If Franklin is here next year, it's because he whiffed, and I'm not sure I want at least one season of a dead man walking as head coach. He will just not give a poo poo at all, and it will set the program back. You gotta fire him unless he finishes strong and this whole thing was just a play for more leverage.

It's a tough situation because he actually has used it as leverage for facility upgrades and assistant pay before so that's not completely off the table but this time there seems like a lot more smoke than usual. If he somehow shocks OSU this weekend he's probably got it made wherever he decides to go but that is extremely unlikely. If he loses 4 of the next 5 games (or whatever) then I'm not sure how happy the LSU or USC fans/boosters will be with the hire.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

DocPsychosis posted:

We are in unusual times.

Let me tell you of the legend of Ron Zook Field:

https://twitter.com/delatorre/status/1062099677552754688?s=21

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Art Briles, who has cash on his side, and Mike Leach who has apparently reached out via agent would be the 2nd tier of likelihood

These sound like message board hokum. I believe there are people with money who want Briles to happen, but I don't believe that there's any universe where it actually happens. Leach wanting to come back just sounds like fanfic.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Yup the Oklahoma forward handoff was discussed in the training tape this week if anyone wants me to post it when its publicly available (tomorrow).

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

These sound like message board hokum. I believe there are people with money who want Briles to happen, but I don't believe that there's any universe where it actually happens. Leach wanting to come back just sounds like fanfic.

Donating millions to a college to own the libs is such an insane concept that it could only happen in Texas

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It's a tough situation because he actually has used it as leverage for facility upgrades and assistant pay before so that's not completely off the table but this time there seems like a lot more smoke than usual.

Depending on how target fixated he is, he could be preparing to need a pile of money to replace Pry. I could see Franklin looking at the "so close" years and seeing that they were late 4th defensive breakdowns.

That's not actually the primary problem *right now* but defense hasn't had the recipe tweaked as much as the offense. I could see someone grasping at the wrong straw.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
UNLV is 0-7. I didn't realize they were so bad.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

yeah because Lessail stopped posting about college football

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Sash! posted:

Depending on how target fixated he is, he could be preparing to need a pile of money to replace Pry. I could see Franklin looking at the "so close" years and seeing that they were late 4th defensive breakdowns.

That's not actually the primary problem *right now* but defense hasn't had the recipe tweaked as much as the offense. I could see someone grasping at the wrong straw.

Nothing is going to change unless Franklin bolts, barring losing out and then we'll see a sacrifice or two. Part of the problem has been a lot of inconsistency in coaching and scheme (especially offensively). It's all much ado about nothing until it's announced he's going to USC or wherever, which I kind of am expecting at some point.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Alaois posted:

yeah because Lessail stopped posting about college football

Crotchbat had the same effect on Tech.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Yup the Oklahoma forward handoff was discussed in the training tape this week if anyone wants me to post it when its publicly available (tomorrow).

is the rule just "to not to"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LLCoolJD posted:

I've seen several different takes that they're the best 0-7 team in the nation, so they've got that going for them.

Unironic takes I believe.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Grittybeard posted:

I've seen several different takes that they're the best 0-7 team in the nation, so they've got that going for them.

Aren’t they the only 0-7 team, or is that the joke?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Declan MacManus posted:

is the rule just "to not to"

The advice was "kill it for forward progress and avoid all this stupidity to begin with".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgpgpXj5-j4

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

They came pretty close to pulling off a couple wins, that last game against SJSU especially was a heart breaker.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

From what I've caught of them in late Saturday night games, they're not horrible. They've given plenty of teams fits for 2.5 quarters, but can't maintain it. I would say they're better than a UConn or UMass. By no means much better than their record, but able to upset someone in perfect conditions.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

SJSU really fell back into the toilet quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

What is happening with Florida and Mullen this year specifically? I don’t know the man’s career inside and out, but wasn’t he supposed to be a quarterback whisperer?

Looks to me like his early successes at Gainesville were with teams other than his own, but I really have no idea of the man’s capacity to coach a winning team at the national level.