Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
That's a wrap. Hope some of you got in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

was able to dump my shorts at .18 a few hours ago, almost got caught with the hot potato. didn't expect sleepy joe to be up so late

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

does he even really have to personally sign it

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Thanks for the heads up on this one!

I got too scared to max it out in the 70s, but made a decent chunk.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Now I'm thinking about throwing more down on the Dec. 10 debt limit... I can't see the GOP screwing over the whole Country and economy right before Christmas... Right guys? :capitalism:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Now I'm thinking about throwing more down on the Dec. 10 debt limit... I can't see the GOP screwing over the whole Country and economy right before Christmas... Right guys? :capitalism:

Sure lol

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

You're probably right, but there is no rush to max out here. Put in a third or half now and see how things swing.

When is is all said and done, I think the debt ceiling is raised. Both Trump and McConnell are evil. Trump is pure lawlessness and chaos. Mitch is just as evil but he lawful and organized. Mitch's talent is to leverage the corrupt system for his benefit and ram evil through loopholes and contorting history to make it seem like there is a precedent. But at the end of the day Mitch is not going to burn it all down and there (still) at least 10 country club Chamber of Commerce type Republicans left he can count on.

Where you could get in trouble is the hard end of the market is December 10th. It is entirely possible that the government runs out of borrowing capacity some point in the first week of December as forecast but they sting it out a few more weeks with accounting tricks and congress doesn't cut a deal until after.

Zeta Taskforce has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Oct 17, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is a proxy for that market with a huge upside

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7164/Will-the-Senate-end-filibuster-on-any-bill-with-less-than-3-5-support-in-2021

i'm in at current prices; this will almost certainly spike when mitch plays brinksmanship again and i'll hope to sell in the low 20s

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Zeta Taskforce posted:

You're probably right, but there is no rush to max out here. Put in a third or half now and see how things swing.

When is is all said and done, I think the debt ceiling is raised. Both Trump and McConnell are evil. Trump is pure lawlessness and chaos. Mitch is just as evil but he lawful and organized. Mitch's talent is to leverage the corrupt system for his benefit and ram evil through loopholes and contorting history to make it seem like there is a precedent. But at the end of the day Mitch is not going to burn it all down and there (still) at least 10 country club Chamber of Commerce type Republicans left he can count on.

Agreed. I put a couple hundred down and I'll see what happens.

i say swears online posted:

this is a proxy for that market with a huge upside

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7164/Will-the-Senate-end-filibuster-on-any-bill-with-less-than-3-5-support-in-2021

i'm in at current prices; this will almost certainly spike when mitch plays brinksmanship again and i'll hope to sell in the low 20s

I'll play. These markets are also a little exciting,

Will there be more than 9 Supreme Court justices at any point in 2021?
Will Donald Trump be indicted by Apr. 1?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that supreme court market is not actually exciting

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

that supreme court market is not actually exciting

Eh, in hindsights it's not but 2022 market would be fun.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the better market for that would be Roe Repeal, which is the only possible way the supreme court market would jump. i'd still bet no on both

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Why repeal Roe when you can get the policy results of repealing Roe without ever triggering the "Roe v Wade has been officially repealed" news cycle and backlash?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ditocoaf posted:

Why repeal Roe when you can get the policy results of repealing Roe without ever triggering the "Roe v Wade has been officially repealed" news cycle and backlash?

To more fully own the libs, I assume

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ditocoaf posted:

Dog Catches Car theory. the cyncal bunch rile up the base and after three generations of this since john birch you start to get an insular group of true believers. i'm not in this camp btw; i'm committed to the belief that the supreme court will fukuyama its way through until it's overthrown by force :)

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

that's a pretty sweet ~20% interest rate on a 6 month bond. Thanks for the info!

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7431/Which-of-these-10-Latin-American-leaders-will-leave-office-next

I don't think anything will happen to him but I threw down 5 bux on Bolsanaro

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1450541375888535553

Wrex Ruckus has issued a correction as of 00:38 on Oct 20, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I didn't realize a world leader actually did this on purpose and will likely get away with it :smith:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I though I was done but they keep pulling me back in. I get better ROIs with PI than with any other way I've tried to invest what little money I have.

So what do we think about VA? TMac got it in the bag? Or will this be the first domino in the looming midterm bloodbath? I'm in on TMac winning.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hoping tmac will dip on election day and then i'll max him

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I hope that Predictit gets its poo poo together and the site doesn't crash on election day so I can do some actual trading but whatever. I'm using Kalshi for some things so I'll see if it holds up there too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's usually only once every four years, midterms are stable iirc

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

hoping tmac will dip on election day and then i'll max him

Same. Virginia seems reliably blue despite whatever Biden is doing.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Does anyone have thoughts on reconciliation package size: https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7291/How-much-spending-in-the-reconciliation-package

I put some money on B2 which has gained 10 cents in the past 2 days, not sure if i want to stay on it, sell it off, or dip into B3

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I don't quite understand these markets where you're betting a wide range of outcomes. In the past, I've just bought multiple lines but end up breaking even.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
:sigh: Should have gone with my gut and gotten some cheap Youngkin YES in the VA market a little ways back. Did the new poll change any minds or do you think TMac still pulls it out? I've wanted to try and get in but I really don't feel like I have a grasp on the race, which is why I talked myself out of jumping in before.

I guess also a heads up that the Fox News poll that has Youngkin up moved the market by 10 cents.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

i think, based on my luck, that any outcome i bet on will not happen and in fact the opposite will happen

therefore youngkin will win, get it on it now while he's still under 50. Virginia is gonna be the first domino after all.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I bought some T Mac no's, at least if the Republicans win I'll be slightly richer

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hell at the very least there will probably be an opportunity to sell youngkin high on election day as reports come in even if he doesn't ultimately win.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

My pick to have Dems lose the house next year is UP UP UP! My only regret is not putting in more money earlier.

I'm looking at a whopping $5 profit if I sold now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I just flipped my position from Tmac to Youngkin, thus ensuring Tmac's victory

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CHUDs are out in force & pretty frothy so it looks like I'll be betting on tmac this round

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

If TMac wins in a blowout I will be buying rounds for everyone

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

starting my tmac hoard

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

okay, i made like $50 riding the youngkin momentum, flipping back to TMac because I do think he'll edge out a tiny win

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

https://twitter.com/MikevWUSA/status/1454209826226118659

this is good news..............................................for MAC!!!!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is ISIS a thing still, or was there extra overtime money left in the annual budget

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Some small updates on various markets,

Whom will the Senate next confirm as Chair of the Federal Reserve?
- I think Powell is an easy pick here despite recent scandals mostly because there isn't anyone strong enough to replace his position.

Who will win the 2022 Pennsylvania Democratic Senate nomination?
- Conner Lamb is a annoying conservative democratic trying to unseat John Fetterman. It's not going to happen. I get that Fetterman is kind of a popular meme at this point but he's legitimately well liked, does a decent job, etc.

Will a debt limit raise be enacted by Dec. 10?
- I can't see the GOP screwing over the entire economy right before the Holiday Season.

How much spending in the reconciliation package?
- After all of the debate, I don't see 1.75t changing. Looks like the moderate democrats manage to severely cut down the bill but that's expected give the current makeup of Congress.

They've got podcasts advertised on the main site now as well, I'll check out a few of them out and report back later this week.

Gucci Loafers has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Nov 1, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Some small updates on various markets,

Who will win the 2022 Pennsylvania Democratic Senate nomination?
- Conner Lamb is a annoying conservative democratic trying to unseat John Fetterman. It's not going to happen. I get that Fetterman is kind of a popular meme at this point but he's legitimately well liked, does a decent job, etc.

minor nitpick, fetterman isn't the incumbent senator but current Lt. Gov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I really hate Lamb so he'll probably win out somehow