Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ever feel the need to bust through a ceiling and shout "HUZZAH!!"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/SamThe_Salmon/status/1453407859874619400?s=20

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:yiikes:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
When I said Chapter 7 was just going to be Asriel showing up and screaming "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!" this was NOT what I had in mind.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Turns out Dess vanished in a mysterious elevator mishap

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Classy Hydra posted:

"God, shut up, Noelle, no one cares about your dead sister!"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

You monster.

And the bad kind of monster!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Can someone explain for my friend who doesn't get it

E: oh it's a yiik reference lmao

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Can someone explain for my friend who doesn't get it

E: oh it's a yiik reference lmao

It's completely going over my head as well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flopsy posted:

It's completely going over my head as well.

It's a recreation of the opening scene of YiiK: A Post-Modern RPG, only with the Deltarune setting and characters and Asriel standing in for YiiK's abysmal douchebag protagonist*, Alex Eagleston.

YiiK was a legendarily bad game that was effectively Undertale/Deltarune's spiritual antipode: a game written to be a love letter to Earthbound, only Toby Fox was talented and humble about his creation and the Allanson Brothers (the one that talked to the media, at least) were arrogant pricks who were such giant hacks they somehow managed to drain the inherent talent out of other people, like George Lucas to the actors who worked on the Star Wars prequels.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It's a recreation of the opening scene of YiiK: A Post-Modern RPG, only with the Deltarune setting and characters and Asriel standing in for YiiK's abysmal douchebag protagonist*, Alex Eagleston.

YiiK was a legendarily bad game that was effectively Undertale/Deltarune's spiritual antipode: a game written to be a love letter to Earthbound, only Toby Fox was talented and humble about his creation and the Allanson Brothers (the one that talked to the media, at least) were arrogant pricks who were such giant hacks they somehow managed to drain the inherent talent out of other people, like George Lucas to the actors who worked on the Star Wars prequels.

Ah. I'd literally never heard of them or that game so it was completely beyond me. Thanks for the explanation tho.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Ah. I'd literally never heard of them or that game so it was completely beyond me. Thanks for the explanation tho.

People in the Rpg thread talked about it and had nothing nice to say. I think you should check it out, it's funny as hell

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...t#post491728404

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the VA for the protagonist turned out to be a sexual predator iirc.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

:yiikes:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And that's also on top of the game shamelessly exploiting the death of Elisa Lam because its lead dev became obsessed with they mystery surrounding it and retooled a large portion of the game to focus on it.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI81Pvra7Tc

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

this. there is also a pretty good videos on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1SibNH-lA
a good harsh long thing but he goes into their past games which were also bad but knew how to create characters. he is also gives a couple interpretations about what he thinks the games mean and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH7JQtp5Jkc

this one too, nicer but still harsh.

it really is the antipod anything toby fox does.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Classy Hydra posted:

dess also has turned 1 to 1 exact recreation of a real life murder victim.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

On an entirely unrelated note, please note that the ever-religiously-important "Crown of thorns" can also be considered to be a ring...made out of thorns....
Surely that's not important in any way.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Regallion posted:

On an entirely unrelated note, please note that the ever-religiously-important "Crown of thorns" can also be considered to be a ring...made out of thorns....
Surely that's not important in any way.

Oh, and of course only good things happened to Jesus while he was wearing that crown. This bodes well for Noelle.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtXqHdxjCbo

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Just the right amount of horrifying.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it really is the antipod anything toby fox does.

Though it's worth noting, as with seemingly every other game in recent history, it hosts a Toby Fox guest track. The man collects musical cameos like pogs.

It's a pretty decent one too.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
has anyone posted this yet
https://twitter.com/Zarla_S/status/1451717414450720774

references to ancient computer games seems incredibly appropriate for chapter 2 :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Classy Hydra posted:

Though it's worth noting, as with seemingly every other game in recent history, it hosts a Toby Fox guest track. The man collects musical cameos like pogs.

It's a pretty decent one too.
I believe Yick was in development long enough that Toby did that track before Undertale, too.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Blaziken386 posted:

has anyone posted this yet
https://twitter.com/Zarla_S/status/1451717414450720774

references to ancient computer games seems incredibly appropriate for chapter 2 :v:

This is great, and I'm sure there will be *dancing* with many *happy campers* together

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Zereth posted:

I believe Yick was in development long enough that Toby did that track before Undertale, too.

both yiik and omori feature toby fox tracks written well before undertale released that only saw the light of day well after undertale released. that's kickstarter development in a nutshell, i guess

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zereth posted:

Yeah, there was a period before Undertale released where Toby was taking commissions to fund himself, which is why you'll find him in a bunch of things from that time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah, there was a period before Undertale released where Toby was taking commissions to fund himself, which is why you'll find him in a bunch of things from that time.

The funniest part about Toby's contributions to YiiK was that aside from it being one of the better entries on the soundtrack, Toby also put out a tweet plugging the game upon its release and then deleted it within 24 hours once the reviews started coming in and people realized how abhorrent the game really was.

Hell, some of the best tracks on YiiK's soundtrack apparently didn't even make it into the final game, like this one (not Toby's, for reference):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT1mwF1tmMs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there were a few games with cross-promotions with YIIK, i think it was a shared publisher thing. Va1ha11a or whatever it was called was the most notable and hilarious

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there were a few games with cross-promotions with YIIK, i think it was a shared publisher thing. Va1ha11a or whatever it was called was the most notable and hilarious

And it took so long to come out of development hell that most people had completely forgotten about VA-11 Hall-A by the time that finally YiiK dropped.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it was funny in that game because it gave the impression that it took place in some alternate future where YIIK was renowned as one of the greatest games ever made

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it was funny in that game because it gave the impression that it took place in some alternate future where YIIK was renowned as one of the greatest games ever made

Like I said, Undertale was the product of humility and YiiK was the product of hubris, and both games ended up being exemplars of when you make a game with a "Well, let's just see what happens" mindset vs. a "Yeah, I've got this poo poo" mindset.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Oh jesus, I bought Va-11 because of the mountain of good reviews, please don't tell me I have to put up with undue praise for that piece of poo poo game in order to enjoy this one.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Neuronyx posted:

Oh jesus, I bought Va-11 because of the mountain of good reviews, please don't tell me I have to put up with undue praise for that piece of poo poo game in order to enjoy this one.

I've played that game and don't remember anything that explicitly refers to YIIK. I think any reference is gonna be in the bonus characters you'd have to go out of your way to make show up.
Been a while though, it's possible I did see it and didn't care because I hadn't heard of YIIK at the time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I've played that game and don't remember anything that explicitly refers to YIIK. I think any reference is gonna be in the bonus characters you'd have to go out of your way to make show up.
Been a while though, it's possible I did see it and didn't care because I hadn't heard of YIIK at the time.

Yeah, I think it's like Vella who has a cameo in it, and again Vella in general is one of the few unalloyed good things about YiiK, especially Vella when written by people who are not Andrew Allanson.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Neuronyx posted:

i've played it like 3 times over and did not even realize there was a yiik reference in it

I know there's a special hidden drink which causes a cameo from 2064 ROM to show up, i didn't know about any others

anyways it's good, please don't let the bad rpg game about hipsters influence your opinion of it

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Blaziken386 posted:

i've played it like 3 times over and did not even realize there was a yiik reference in it

I know there's a special hidden drink which causes a cameo from 2064 ROM to show up, i didn't know about any others

anyways it's good, please don't let the bad rpg game about hipsters influence your opinion of it

Got it, thanks! :hai:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

My favorite thing about YIIK is that it forces you to grind for an in-game month before the final boss rush only to have them be scripted losses :v:
Actually scratch that, my real favorite thing is that after you lose to the final boss, there's an unbelievably out of place and self-fellating dream sequence where you visit the world of the dev's previous extremely-poorly-received game "Two Brothers" and the characters cheer you on in a way that is obviously extremely thinly veiled vitriol towards those who gave Two Brothers bad reviews in the first place, completely ignoring the fact that the game was poorly received because it was so buggy it was quite literally unplayable and had to be removed from all storefronts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
If we're doing a derail about Toby Fox-adjacent indy games, anyone got the straight-poo poo on Omori?

The buzz seems mostly positive, but also really vague. Don't really have a lot of spare time for video games at the moment, so I'd appreciate knowing if it spends a lot of time spinning its wheels or whatever.