Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Luigi's Mansion 3, just in time for the end of spooky season. Delightful game. Just wandering around and messing with the environment is fun. I thought the levels were really tightly designed but I kinda miss the interconnectedness of the first game.

Overall I thought it was great. One of the best looking Switch games too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

i mentioned this when i started but i think it was in wilderness fyad: i am using save states. for good games, i mostly do stuff like "save during a screen change." for games like pro wrestling and slalom, i will cheerfully abuse save scumming.

this is a crime. you may only play classic games on a crt tv with the original hardware and no save states. otherwise it is not even counted as played

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
save scumming old games is stupid and you shouldnt be counting them as beat

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
like just dont play them if you dont really want to play them

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i didnt really want to say anything but gently caress it. thats how i feel

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Tried to find the tweet where Mike Matei blasted people who use save states and rewind functions counting games as beaten but he deleted it like a coward.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
say what you will about the design choice but youre supposed to be able to get to death with 2-3x cross or holy water to beat him without extraordinary luck. thats just how they wanted it to be. you're supposed to re-do all of ninja gaiden stage 6 when you die against a boss

like its some kind of show of respect to not savescum ALL of a "good game", only gutting the life/checkpoint structure thats integral to its pacing to some degree lol. get real. dicking around with old games using savestates is whatever but you're not beating these games by a long shot

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mycophobia posted:

i didnt really want to say anything but gently caress it. thats how i feel

Agreed

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

it's wrong to use save states but its ok to use hex editing because they had game genies back then

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mycophobia posted:

say what you will about the design choice but youre supposed to be able to get to death with 2-3x cross or holy water to beat him without extraordinary luck. thats just how they wanted it to be. you're supposed to re-do all of ninja gaiden stage 6 when you die against a boss

like its some kind of show of respect to not savescum ALL of a "good game", only gutting the life/checkpoint structure thats integral to its pacing to some degree lol. get real. dicking around with old games using savestates is whatever but you're not beating these games by a long shot

this, but if your goal is to beat every nes game in order then youre allowed to do whatever or else suffer through silver surfer for weeks

also dont fear castlevania 2, its not as good as 1 but as far as nes games go its not bad if you have a gamefaq pulled up to save you the extra bullshit

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i have opinions on it but it feels too :words: to go into in great detail, even the tl;dr feels like a diatribe. especially because there are two separate things going on.

basically: i don't want to master a game like Pro Wrestling or Slalom, i just want to get a sense of how hard it was, see all the content, and see where it fit in the landscape of games at the time. you can observe why wikipedia says that Pro Wrestling has one of the most notoriously hard end bosses ever without having to replay an hour of beating the same fives dudes three times in a row.

with burger time, for example, i tried it sans save states, got owned a bunch, got better but not great, then used save states pretty aggressively for the first three levels to explore the first three levels, then, once i had learned a ton about how it worked, i started over. at that point i only used save states whenever i got interrupted. sure, there's a pause button, but leaving an arcade game like that and coming back for two hours isn't realistic, you need to get your rhythm back.

obviously, i like castlevania more than burger time, so i used save states a lot less. i did use them before bosses.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
its ok to use save states if you aren't taking the game seriously anyway, its fine - that being said, gently caress you

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You should edit your goal to "experience the ending of every NES game" OP.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

obviously, i like castlevania more than burger time, so i used save states a lot less. i did use them before bosses.

you shouldn't use them at all for castlevania. the checkpoints are set where they are for a reason. maybe only play the good games instead of every game no matter how lovely it is if it's going to make you slight the great ones

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
and lol at "Seeing all of burgertime's content". its all on the first screen dude

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
if a game isn't grabbing you just play something else like a normal person

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

shin megami tensei 3: nocturne - true demon ending. the last boss is some serious scary poo poo. god i'm pumped for smt5

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

cmon now man. play castlevania legit.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Fungah! posted:

shin megami tensei 3: nocturne - true demon ending. the last boss is some serious scary poo poo. god i'm pumped for smt5

SMTV is going to own

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

mycophobia posted:

save scumming old games is stupid and you shouldnt be counting them as beat

mycophobia posted:

like just dont play them if you dont really want to play them

mycophobia posted:

theres a trillion games to play and ppl want to beat the old ones while still playing the new ones. i understand the impulse bc the alternative is what i do instead: just not play old games

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i get it and i respect myco's opinion. there's a reason i put a bunch of games in the "not beat but moving on category." i do count things as "beat" if i use save states at the beginning of a level. i think i put Pro Wrestling in the actually beaten category and that was stolen valor. i only actually use save scumming in two situations: the game feels like absolute garbage or i keep getting owned at one particular point. in the latter situation, i save scum until i get to the end of the level and then go back to the beginning until i beat it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You're going to have to justify all of this on Judgement Day.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
my overall point is just that theres too many drat good games to play and not enough time in the world to play em all :eng99:

i cant even finish all the games i want to beat that came out in the past few months, let alone b4 i look at collections of classics

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

i have opinions on it but it feels too :words: to go into in great detail, even the tl;dr feels like a diatribe. especially because there are two separate things going on.

basically: i don't want to master a game like Pro Wrestling or Slalom, i just want to get a sense of how hard it was, see all the content, and see where it fit in the landscape of games at the time. you can observe why wikipedia says that Pro Wrestling has one of the most notoriously hard end bosses ever without having to replay an hour of beating the same fives dudes three times in a row.

with burger time, for example, i tried it sans save states, got owned a bunch, got better but not great, then used save states pretty aggressively for the first three levels to explore the first three levels, then, once i had learned a ton about how it worked, i started over. at that point i only used save states whenever i got interrupted. sure, there's a pause button, but leaving an arcade game like that and coming back for two hours isn't realistic, you need to get your rhythm back.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

actually, wait, for full disclosure, i do usually save at the bosses. i got though most of the easter island level in gradius in one playthrough, but i did save at the boss.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

im ok with save states if it doesnt mess with th actual flow of the game. if you could get the same effect by pausin the game and leaving the console on overnight thats fine, like you you save state at a continue screen in castlevania or pause halfway through to take a break. but building your poo poo back up is hard in that game and having to do it after a death is a big part of the difficulty

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You should have just lied and said you beat them without going into any further details. Now you've brought shame upon the entire thread.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I'm going to admit it here to take some heat off bicylops.. I used save states on the last boss on Maken X, I'm not proud of it, but the alternative was playing through a 45 minute stage 1000 times and never beating the game. Still feel sick about it

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I think you know in your own heart if you beat a game or not. no one's looking over your shoulder

if you use save states in mario world but only because you don't want to waste time going all the way back to top secret area and then star world to get your favorite color yoshi again, to me that's just being sensible
but if you used them because you can't beat Outrageous... like, c'mon

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
do you want to continue on easy difficulty?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops prepare to be visited by the ghosts of gamer christmases past, present and future

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Bicyclops prepare to be visited by the ghosts of gamer christmases past, present and future

gamer christmases past, past, past, present, present, past, present, past, present, and future

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

THE GHOST OF BILLY MITCHELL: I wear the chain I forged in life! I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. Is its pattern strange to you?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the Classic Gamer Alliance takes no prisoners, you better hope you made a save state before making that post

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

THE GHOST OF BILLY MITCHELL: I wear the chain I forged in life! I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. Is its pattern strange to you?

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only thing better than using save states to beat a hard game is lying to everyone afterwards about your false accomplishments. Incredible thrill

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
remembering fondly bob using cheat engine to beat the tutorial of Nier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

In Training posted:

The only thing better than using save states to beat a hard game is lying to everyone afterwards about your false accomplishments. Incredible thrill

i like to cut out the middle man and just claim to beat games that I haven't even played, specially if there's an imp zone pioneer on the line.