Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrQwerty posted:

It is though, you're acting like we're back at the beginning of the loving pandemic and everything is totally hosed like you aren't doublevaxxed.

Take precautions like you do, jesus christ. Stop trying to jump ahead and act like COVID is this thing your body can't fight because you got your first (j&j) or second dose of whatever 6 months ago. Yeah, a third vaccination is a thing you need to take. Or a second

Two vaccinations for COVID at 6 months is not just like OH HEY WE'RE AT 0% WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE like in January 2020.

The Science (by which I mean the CDC), says that everyone who got the J&J shot a mere two months ago should get a booster now, no other qualifications needed.

A person could be a twenty-year-old Olympic athlete who has lives alone and has no public-facing job, and they still qualify because that’s how it is with J&J.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Just spent an evening reporting antivaxxers on nextdoor. They have special categories for Covid misinformation and it looks like a low number of reports gets someone hushed up, so I can thoroughly recommend doing your public service for your local nextdoor users and hiding antivax misinformation from them.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Finally have hit the 6 month mark and my doctors office will finally let me schedule a booster. Going Pfizer this time to get a real mrna mix going.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

cynic posted:

Just spent an evening reporting antivaxxers on nextdoor. They have special categories for Covid misinformation and it looks like a low number of reports gets someone hushed up, so I can thoroughly recommend doing your public service for your local nextdoor users and hiding antivax misinformation from them.

I have an obviously fake name on there. If I report will they just ban me instead?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

CapMoron posted:

However, if someone told me that me not getting one would result in someone unvaccinated getting one, I would have not gotten one in a heartbeat. That's not happening though, so....

They wouldn't have gotten one anyway

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Everything that comes to Texas from California is insane and makes Texas worse.

NEVER, EVER miss an opportunity to remind someone of this fact when they ask why people moving en masse to Austin TX from California (or anywhere else) is actually bad.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
PSA: Texas is the new Florida

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Looking like my wife has the breakthrough long covid. She was breastfeeding when she got the vaccine, and it seems the vaccine was not as effective on breastfeeding moms. She's on day 23 at least, and still feels like poo poo, chest pain, short breath, other body pains, etc.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

FogHelmut posted:

Looking like my wife has the breakthrough long covid. She was breastfeeding when she got the vaccine, and it seems the vaccine was not as effective on breastfeeding moms. She's on day 23 at least, and still feels like poo poo, chest pain, short breath, other body pains, etc.

Is she due for a booster soon? Vaccines have helped some long haulers.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 29, 2021

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Get in line, Texas, Iowa's been Florida for years.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Detheros posted:

Get in line, Texas, Iowa's been Florida for years.

Please don't compare us to Iowa.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Zil posted:

Please don't compare us to Iowa.

As an Iowan it's also my job to bring you guys down to our level. :v:

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm vaccinated, but I've been feeling down the past few days, and just got a positive on one of those over-the-counter tests, so I have 7 days holed up in my apartment to look forward to. Any recommendations for things to do from people who had to do this kind of thing?

Also, I got hit with the "can't smell things" part of it today. That comes back for most people after the virus runs its course, right?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ya smell later

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

An ethical quandary

I got a chance to date a big titty goth lady, but she’s half antivax (Doesn’t believe in vaccines and only got 1 dose and doesn’t want to get another because it made her feel bad)

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

An ethical quandary

I got a chance to date a big titty goth lady, but she’s half antivax (Doesn’t believe in vaccines and only got 1 dose and doesn’t want to get another because it made her feel bad)

Which half, top or bottom?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Blue Labrador posted:

I'm vaccinated, but I've been feeling down the past few days, and just got a positive on one of those over-the-counter tests, so I have 7 days holed up in my apartment to look forward to. Any recommendations for things to do from people who had to do this kind of thing?

Also, I got hit with the "can't smell things" part of it today. That comes back for most people after the virus runs its course, right?

Hit up a couple of friends and ask them to drop a book or two they've enjoyed at your door. Reading is cool, good, passes time and engages you in a way that you're not worried about what you would otherwise be doing.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

An ethical quandary

shed some vaccine on her

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bad Purchase posted:

shed some vaccine on her
not the best def leppard cover band.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I'm sorry dude, that really sucks. It does get better usually, my mom slowly recovered from long covid over the course of a few months.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
So I don't know if this stupid virus is endemic at this point, but dear god the misinformation about it is.

What's a good place online to keep afloat on how things are going with covid-19 now?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

As someone who has long covid and both doses and a booster. This does not work for everyone.

Edit- I can say that my coughing has gone down a little bit months after I got my two shots. The booster I have gotten has not really helped much.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Willias posted:

So I don't know if this stupid virus is endemic at this point, but dear god the misinformation about it is.

What's a good place online to keep afloat on how things are going with covid-19 now?

You're already there. :smug:

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

You're already there. :smug:

Funny enough, SA *was* the place early on that I kept up with new info and studies as they came out. Guess I'll resume lurking.

It is getting hard separating fact from fiction at this point though. Anti-vaxxers have more or less settled on the statistics they choose to believe. It's really hard to argue against the bullshit when there are just so. many. people. repeating the same wrong information endlessly.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

my sister got her third pfizer shot at the old downtown library through the city.... kansas... maybe 400k ppl in the actual city?

no questions just sign up, get shot.

That's where I got my first two, i just assumed it was like an emergency thing so I didn't even think to look.

I got mine at the local Dillion's Pharmacy (Kroger many places) and i just filled out a form online it was easy. No questions were asked when I showed up.

Took a lot longer because the pharmacy had like 5 people in line ahead of me for medicine and they had the same line for refills and vaccines ? whatever.

Anyway. Sunday 3:45 pm... at 9 pm my whole upper arm got a little sore... it wasn't the needle there was no bruising and not even any blood on the bandaid. Felt like my brother punched me in the arm twice when we were kids, no big deal.

around midnight it was hurting down to my elbow and hurt to move the arm but not to lay on it.. i decided not to lay on it and went to sleep.

Woke up in 4 am because my sheet were damp from a little sweat and very mild fever. It was gone 2 to 3 hours later and I went to sleep again. Arm was sore when I got up but didn't hurt to move around and the fever was gone. My finger joints were grumpy for a few hours the day after, as was my shoulder where I have arthritis. ~20 hours after dose it was all gone.

I was able to go to work no problems but I'm an office worker so its not strenuous.

A++ would do again.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 29, 2021

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It's an SSRI?

Hm.

Time to buy stocks in whatever company makes that, then.

And pray for a wave of suicides in anti-vaxxers. (SSRIs, including this one, are known to suicidal thoughts in the initial part of treatment as a common side-effect.) Also, impotence.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=now%207-d&geo=US&q=fluvoxamine

I dunno if chuds will go for that, there's been a few useful treatments for covid discovered but the only ones they've fallen head over heels in love with are the ones available from the vet.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There was just a recent large study about fluvoxamine and treatment of COVID.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/28/health/fluvoxamine-covid-risk-study/index.html

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Willias posted:

"The virus is now endemic" is just the new "Maybe we're already at herd immunity?" which was the new "It's just the flu, the survival rate is 99.9%!!!", it's just a catchphrase people use when they're arguing that we need to stop worrying about the pandemic but which ignores the actual epidemiological definition of the words they're using.

The definition of a virus being endemic in a population is that the rate of infection is constantly maintained at a baseline level in a geographic area without external inputs. There's actually two different ways this happens, either from a reoccurring zoonotic source (people catching it from animals, eg: mosquitoes spreading malaria in SE Asia) or from a person-to-person disease achieving an exact balance between the level of infectiousness (R0) and the number of susceptible people (S) in the population, so R0 x S = 1. If it doesn't achieve that exact balance the number of cases will of course keep decreasing to zero or keep increasing and causing outbreaks depending on the situation. The infection rate in the US is clearly changing constantly and there's a whole lot of external inputs influencing that (lockdowns & masks etc) so the virus is not currently endemic, by definition. Anyone who tries to frame an argument based on the idea that the virus might be endemic is bullshitting.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 29, 2021

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i just looked up the drug and its for OCD?....calling it an anti-depresent when it's literally just an SSRI family member seems disengous. No one is proscribed this if they are depressed or anxious which is majority of SSRIs (and anti-depresents......)

are they suggesting OCD medication for the general populace? side effects whatever?

is it possible that people with OCD take care to wash hands, wear masks, not leave the house? I'm not sure this proves anything and its not just another of the tens of SSRIs they use to treat people with anxiety or depression, its one approved for a very specific cause... (OCD)

heres a list of a thousand drugs you can't take with it.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/fluvoxamine-oral-route/before-using/drg-20066874

this is so dumb, gently caress you CNN thanks for putting out poo poo articles.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Does anyone have a study on rates of long-covid in double vaccinated populations following the emergence of Delta? I couldn't find much.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Hollismason posted:

There was just a recent large study about fluvoxamine and treatment of COVID.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/28/health/fluvoxamine-covid-risk-study/index.html

The study.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(21)00448-4/fulltext

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

8 months would be January.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I don't believe this for even one second and I suspect you don't either. Florida and Texas are completely different kinds of backwards festering cesspools

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

QuarkJets posted:

I don't believe this for even one second and I suspect you don't either. Florida and Texas are completely different kinds of backwards festering cesspools

they've been copying each other's homework a lot lately

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
A test:

Google Florida Man (your birthday without the year)

Then try the same thing with Texas Man.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

An ethical quandary

If she got the one dose she can almost certainly be convinced to get a second. You say she doesn't believe in vaccines, but her reason for not getting her second doesn't sound ideological, it's just that the first jab knocked her on her rear end?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lord no that one’s too much drama, refusing to get a second shot because she might feel a bit dicky for a few days is a red flag for being selfish in all other things.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can sympathize with having a terrible reaction to a shot and really dreading a repeat, but “doesn’t believe in vaccines” is just too much.

It’s almost worse that she did actually get the one shot. That suggests that it’s not a misguided stand, it’s just flailing around, consequences be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Remember that according to surveys something like 15% of people would get the vaccine "only if forced" which is not exactly a principled antivax position. They're getting it now due to mandates.