Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'd look for tutorials for extruding from an image on Blender since most 3D programs allow extrusions to be raised or inlaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aniodia posted:

Probably the best place to ask this. I'm pretty bad at blender, but I know it tends to be good for editing models and meshes and crap like that. Now, I want to emboss images onto some Warmaster shields, because freehand just isn't my friend, but I'm not only just bad at blender, I'm bad at trying to find an easy tutorial for blender that can show me what I need to do. So if y'all know of a good, simple tutorial (video, written, whatever) that can show me how zazz up my shields and banners when starting with some flat images, it would be quite helpful.
You can do it in 10 seconds with Windows 3D Builder, if you have a black and white image.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Yeah, I was going to say, you probably just want to make a B&W picture into a height map and overlay that. There's also the manually-intense approach of tracing around it with verts and filling that, and booling that onto the surface, which is probably a bit more flexible once you've done it since you could append the solid onto anything in future.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
There are a lot of video tutorials on youtube for doing this to marine shoulder pads, just search "Blender Shoulder Pads" and you can find several different techniques, I'm sure one of them could be used for shields.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

There is something I find very satisfying about scaling up little miniatures into huge models. If I ever find the time to get back into mini painting I don't think I'll ever be painting smaller stuff again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Wow, the MK3S+ arrived quick. Way faster than the Prusament filament that I ordered previously! I'll have to get crackin' on the assembly sometime soon.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

InternetJunky posted:

There is something I find very satisfying about scaling up little miniatures into huge models. If I ever find the time to get back into mini painting I don't think I'll ever be painting smaller stuff again.

Agreed. It always throws me off how much detail is buried in tiny rear end minis when. Their blown up

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

I really need to do this at some point, I have more than a few STLs of minis that I think would make for cool statuettes.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Army Painter rattle can metallic primer isn't working too well on PLA prints for me. Is it a common problem with prints, or do I need to try another brand?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

What's the recommend glue for assembling resin miniatures? Just CA?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That's what I use for when I don't print something all in one piece. Some people do "weld" parts together with the same resin they were printed in and a UV flashlight, but I'm not brave enough to try that.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

ImplicitAssembler posted:

ca's good, I like the gorilla glue brand a lot lately and your not paying hobby prices

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's what I use for when I don't print something all in one piece. Some people do "weld" parts together with the same resin they were printed in and a UV flashlight, but I'm not brave enough to try that.

You'll be kicking yourself for waiting so long if you ever do try it. It is the perfect glue for putting miniatures together, because you have all the time in the world to make sure the pieces are lined up correctly and then 1 second in a UV light and they are welded. Even if I wasn't 3D printing I would still buy a little bottle of resin and a UV flashlight and use that as my go-to glue for minis.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
For presupporting STLs, what’s a good way to go? I’ve been sculpting some models for a Blood Bowl team and realize that maybe people would buy them if I don’t suck too much?

Still need to do posing and get the other 10 made, but the speed at which I can sculpt is improving a lot.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Hedningen posted:

For presupporting STLs, what’s a good way to go?
Cool models!

Have you checked in with Atlas to see what they charge? Presupported stuff is finnicky, because you're going to be flooded with "YOUR SUPPORTS DON'T WORK" messages by all the monkey who don't know how to properly calibrate their printers. Going with a 3rd-part support company might fix all those potential headaches.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

InternetJunky posted:

Cool models!

Have you checked in with Atlas to see what they charge? Presupported stuff is finnicky, because you're going to be flooded with "YOUR SUPPORTS DON'T WORK" messages by all the monkey who don't know how to properly calibrate their printers. Going with a 3rd-part support company might fix all those potential headaches.

For Atlas it’s $20 a “point”. A point is determined by how many supports are needed. They say standard minis are usually 1-2 points. You can rough estimate by tilting the model back 20 degrees, finding the plate at .20 microns and generating supports. Divide that by 150.

It’s not really a bad deal. I would recommend sitting down with lychee and some YouTube videos and figuring it out yourself though. You never know when you need to adjust something or throw some supports on something. It’s a good skill to have. Atlas themselves have lots of good tutorials on line for that.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

For Atlas it’s $20 a “point”. A point is determined by how many supports are needed. They say standard minis are usually 1-2 points. You can rough estimate by tilting the model back 20 degrees, finding the plate at .20 microns and generating supports. Divide that by 150.

It’s not really a bad deal. I would recommend sitting down with lychee and some YouTube videos and figuring it out yourself though. You never know when you need to adjust something or throw some supports on something. It’s a good skill to have. Atlas themselves have lots of good tutorials on line for that.

I feel like I'm doing about 4 hours of support work every single day, and even I would probably use Atlas if I was going to release STL commercially. Being able to point to a 3rd party when someone complains about supports has a lot of value.

Also, maybe I should think about moving into support work myself because $20-40 / mini is pretty easy money.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Yeah, that’s my goal for releasing a few STLs a month, and I figured that offering presupported and unsupported options is a required standard for these kinds of things.

Would not offering supported models be a negative for most of the folks here? This is a new venture for me, and figuring out how best to get this set up might be worth it.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yes, not having supported models would be a deal breaker for a lot of folks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hedningen posted:

Yeah, that’s my goal for releasing a few STLs a month, and I figured that offering presupported and unsupported options is a required standard for these kinds of things.

Would not offering supported models be a negative for most of the folks here? This is a new venture for me, and figuring out how best to get this set up might be worth it.

I probably wouldn't buy your models if they weren't offered in a supported version.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

It would depend on what the models were. Small stuff like minis I can take or leave unsupported (I usually attach them to a base in 3D Builder and print them standing upright anyways). Bigger models I'm okay with having presupported. Bonus points if you support the models in Lychee Slicer, and include the .lys scene file so I can remove or rearrange supports if desired.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It would depend on what the models were. Small stuff like minis I can take or leave unsupported (I usually attach them to a base in 3D Builder and print them standing upright anyways). Bigger models I'm okay with having presupported. Bonus points if you support the models in Lychee Slicer, and include the .lys scene file so I can remove or rearrange supports if desired.

Same. I find that auto-supporting with maybe minor adjustments (but not even that often because I'm lazy) works flawlessly for almost all the regular miniatures that I print. I only really care about pre-supported stuff for larger models.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Hedningen posted:

I see a lot of people selling non-supported minis, but I almost never get them unless they are pre-supported. The exception is bases. They are super easy to support. Takes like maybe 3 minutes, literally.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Okay, so from this, I’ll need to presupport any miniatures.

Time to build up a backlog, get a release schedule planned, and then launch something!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

At what point do you admit you have a problem?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Kinda want to see that patreon list.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

InternetJunky posted:

wow. i thought i was bad. :haw:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Anyone know of any good resources for STLs of 28mm English Civil War/Thirty Years War stuff? Thinking about getting into The Pikeman's Lament by Osprey Games, which is a skirmish game set in the 17th century. So far all I've found is a couple of figures on Thingiverse (a pikeman and a cavalryman). I'm not opposed to going back to old-school plastic and metal figures if I have to and getting some of Warlord Games' Pike & Shotte stuff, but figured I'd ask around first, just in case I could make use of all this fancy 3D printing Star Trek-style tech we have instead. :v:

InternetJunky posted:

:stonk:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

How do you have the time to upload all of that let alone take renders you maniac.

I'm busy at half that

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

How do you have the time

I don't

:smithicide:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
How much of that is commercial printing licenses?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Bucnasti posted:

How much of that is commercial printing licenses?
Most of it. I follow a few patreons non-commercially just because I like their work.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Does anyone make bases for Adeptus Titanicus minis? I'm not looking for the Titans themselves, just bases with scenery on them to put the Titans on, preferably that can either be printed off and used as the base itself, or glued to the standard bases.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've printed a ton of 30K Epic scale Marines for the bases. The plan plan is that they'll be fighting it out in mini dioramas on the bases. Naturally, I haven't actually finished anything yet.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The future is now and it is unpainted. :respek:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
If I had a dollar for every time I forgot to put the flex plate back on the build plate before starting a print, I would... I would be a rich man....

drat it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

If I had a dollar for every time I forgot to put the flex plate back on the build plate before starting a print, I would... I would be a rich man....

drat it.

Haha, I've made it a part of my washing routine. Peel prints of plate, wipe down with alcohol, remount in printer.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I have a 3x5 card that says CHECK BUILD PLATE that I put in front of the LCD when I take things out to clean

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Spray + wash + drybrush goes a long way on 3D printed terrain like this. I'm probably going to add a tiny bit of color with contrast paint, but I've got another like 30 of these to paint still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Any suggestions for 3d printed Demonette of Slaneesh proxies that aren't trash and also won't make me feel like a creep if I play with them at my FLGS? Everything I can find is either awful or R-rated, usually both.