Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Carmacks notes for his talk https://www.dropbox.com/s/ruv739914jzquue/connect2021.txt?dl=0
"I reached out to Phil Spenser at Microsoft after they bought Zenimax about seeing if I could make nice with Id Software, He was supportive but going down into the studio not so much."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

life peak

https://i.imgur.com/0DioPAD.mp4

Edit: might need to right click -> show all controls -> unmute

First off; congrats, that's legit cool. That said, how are their avatars this bad? Their inverse kinematics look so loving terrible compared to VRChat's.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Bizzarro cartoon avatars will never not be weird as hell to me.

On the other hand, I discovered Varjo's 'teleport' concept which I find much more interesting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shoutout from the man himself. drat!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pantsfree posted:

DrBeef won’t touch anything that hasn’t been officially open sourced, unfortunately.

???? Didn’t he do the half life port?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Congrats to our own gorilla tag goon!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hadlock posted:

He's on the cover of Time magazine. He's the face of oculus forever.

The vast majority of people will neither know nor care who he even is, nobody actually gives a poo poo about Time Magazine in the year 2021.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

???? Didn’t he do the half life port?

It is a port of the Xash3D engine which is based on leaked HL1 source code. I think for GTA:SA not having it's source "out there" at all would hinder that particular project. I don't think his choices are based on the open source philosophy, rather just source code availability.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Skyarb posted:

Lol so Facebook is becoming meta and a meta account is required to use Oculus, so you need a Facebook account to use Oculus.

Absolutely incredible. Good thing Facebook has never been criminally awful.

they've flipped the script! you used to need a facebook account to use oculus, but now you need an oculus meta account to use facebook. this is clearly better because

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

So uh, is Resident Evil a little too intense for anyone else, or am I just a big baby?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

roffels posted:

So uh, is Resident Evil a little too intense for anyone else, or am I just a big baby?

i dropped walking dead saints and sinners. i'm not going to judge you

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

marumaru posted:

i dropped walking dead saints and sinners. i'm not going to judge you

Huh. Yeah, I guess I had to stop that one too. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Leal posted:

Congrats to our own gorilla tag goon!

:h:

roffels posted:

Huh. Yeah, I guess I had to stop that one too. You'd think I'd know better by now.

I couldn't do Saints and Sinners but I was fine with RE4. It probably helped that I've beaten it before and that once you kind of understand the underlying game you are just an unstoppable roller coaster of death, whereas in S&S poo poo would just be breathing and sneaking up behind you all the time

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

roffels posted:

Even as someone who had played RE4 was too many times and knows every encounter and server, this VR playing has gotten pretty intense. That first village ambush engine still learning the controls was stressful as gently caress. I’m in the castle now and the blind brutes and giant bugs are freaky as hell when you’re seeing then tower over you.

The Red9 reloading from the top still trips me constantly.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

GutBomb posted:

It is a port of the Xash3D engine which is based on leaked HL1 source code. I think for GTA:SA not having it's source "out there" at all would hinder that particular project. I don't think his choices are based on the open source philosophy, rather just source code availability.

You’re right, but they definitely rule out ports where the available source code may not be above board (ie hl2, despite there being various projects out there, and it being technically feasible, and gta3 after a project got DMCAd)

GTA:SA has already had a full android port as well, from a few years back. Wonder if any of that work has been re-used.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Lemming posted:

Gorilla Tag

Dang, Gorilla Tag is your work? Congrats! You really caught lightning in a bottle, and Carmack saying it's cool, that's rad as hell.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
OTOH one guy has singlehandedly released excellent VR mods for RDR2, GTAV and the Mafia trilogy, albeit with only gamepad support not vr controller

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

From a privacy perspective, a Meta account almost certainly isn't going to be any better than a Facebook one. They're going to siphon your information regardless of what the name is. The theoretical benefit is that you can have a Meta account without having a social media presence, and if you do have a Facebook account that you actually use, activity and friends there don't have to impact your VR usage (so if the Facebook algorithm thinks you're a bot and bans you, it might not have any effect on other things under the Meta umbrella, and if you don't want to connect with your family in VR you don't have to even if you're friends on Facebook).

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

Dang, Gorilla Tag is your work? Congrats! You really caught lightning in a bottle, and Carmack saying it's cool, that's rad as hell.

It was also mentioned during the keynote. Apparently it has HUGE multiplayer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

raditts posted:

The vast majority of people will neither know nor care who he even is, nobody actually gives a poo poo about Time Magazine in the year 2021.

Opinions without any facts in an argument, awesome, thanks for your contribution sir

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Heh
https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjb485/zuckerberg-facebook-new-name-meta-metaverse-presentation

I also can imagine the youtubers doing clickbait saying 'Oculus is deeead!'.

Stride had a nice update
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3_jPH2Ah8k

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a41cx344izU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Did Zuck watch Black Mirror and mistake it for a how-to manual?

"Facebook - Making your worst dystopian nightmares a reality."

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In general terms, the focus on the Metaverse seemed to me so... silly. Forgetting about possible dystopic nightmares, I say it because it's a focus on the (future) software side, when the hardware is barely there. AR hardware that can be called 'passable' still doesn't exist, and even VR hardware still have to advance, a lot. Make a Quest 3 or 4 with 40º extra fov, much better comfort, better lens clarity, and battery with 3x the charge, (and better Soc of course) and THEN you can start thinking about how to do the Metaverse. Not now. Now it's better to take what you have, the Quest 2, and make better incremental versions, more games, better (small) social apps, etc.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

metaverse is, at minimum, a 10 year play

anyone judging it on less than that... probably ignore them

can they accomplish a successful 100 billion a year product in 10 years, that only just barely exists today? :shrug: is it within the realm of possibility? ... probably? 10 years of miniaturization + programmatic vr optimization is a lot of time, so far they've only been plucking the lowest hanging fruit. we have yet to see a VR-first unreal or unity type 3d engine, let alone 2nd or 3rd gen engine.

quake 1 to quake 3 was only three years, for those of you under 35 i'll let you dig up screenshots

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

metaverse is, at minimum, a 10 year play

anyone judging it on less than that... probably ignore them

can they accomplish a successful 100 billion a year product in 10 years, that only just barely exists today? :shrug: is it within the realm of possibility? ... probably? 10 years of miniaturization + programmatic vr optimization is a lot of time, so far they've only been plucking the lowest hanging fruit. we have yet to see a VR-first unreal or unity type 3d engine, let alone 2nd or 3rd gen engine.

quake 1 to quake 3 was only three years, for those of you under 35 i'll let you dig up screenshots

While that's true, it's built on the assumption that they will continue to own and hold the VR market, which is not not going to be true in ten years. They made an amazing lead by delivering a product nobody thought feasible for the time, but within the next few years someone's going to deliver a more-open standalone VR platform and that's the end of any chance Meta had of going fully Black Mirror. If only because Facebook's been successful at it and put blood in the water. And that's assuming the Deckard doesn't deliver in the ways we suspect it might much sooner.

The fundamental problem with them as well is it's Facebook. They can dress it up, shove it behind a new name, but everyone and their dog knows it's Mark Zuckerberg's company and anyone who cares about network security sure as poo poo aren't letting their secure company data anywhere near that. Or letting anyone talk about private company matters on a device that Facebook can listen in on. So they've got no foot in the door anywhere, no matter how much they wish they did.

They probably could deliver on the presentation with that platform, the problem is it's based on a spherical egg in a vacuum. There's also a very small chance they could actually gently caress themselves over completely, as they're obviously trying to step away from Facebook as the lawsuits come for it and pivot to a new market because the brand's utter death to anything else, but if there's no uptake in their new "VR metaverse" they'll have burned a loooot of money for nothing.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 29, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think the economic moat lies in the six years of optical R&D + 20 years of patents

Facebook is billions of dollars and five years ahead of competitors like Pimax and Star VR. HTC still exists but two years ago Google was autocompleting their name with "dead". If they've filled any patents in the last two years they likely weren't very substantial

I don't see anyone catching up with Facebook for at least five years and I think that's being optimistic on their competitions abilities and bank accounts. The quest 1/2 are basically proof of concept that people will buy an AIO vr device, they don't have any of the next gen optics hardware Facebook has been teasing with depth of focus etc for years now

Can anyone toss some off the shelf lenses in front of a tablet lcd and strap it to your face? Sure. The depth of field stuff, and likely the other stuff they have in the pipeline but haven't told us about yet, is going to make first and second gen stuff look like Google cardboard in a couple of years

Edit: I mean, I guess there's also the possiblity that zuck is just batshit insane and the board somehow wasn't able to get him removed ahead of his keynote speech, but there appears to be a strong enough business case that the board went ahead with his Dr. Evil plan

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 29, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Even as a business plan, the whole thing seems rushed and risky. If I were in Zuck's shoes, I would have waited a pair of years and another vr device more ( to see if the exponential growth curve maintains) before jumping to renaming my company Meta.
For what we know, maybe the market for vr caps at 40 million users in the future and barely will grow from that point.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If we're lucky it'll crash and burn soon enough.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Turin Turambar posted:

Even as a business plan, the whole thing seems rushed and risky. If I were in Zuck's shoes, I would have waited a pair of years and another vr device more ( to see if the exponential growth curve maintains) before jumping to renaming my company Meta.
For what we know, maybe the market for vr caps at 40 million users in the future and barely will grow from that point.

Mark Zuckerberg got jacked off in vrchat once and now he's trying to expand VR.

e: Some billionaires decide to fund things like The Federalist Society, some billionaires just want to build a virtual world where they can hang out their legless fur/animesona

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 29, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Even as a business plan, the whole thing seems rushed and risky.

I mean, the deal to buy oculus closed in Q1 of 2014. They've sold 5 million Quest 2. That's sightly less than a third if what Sony's PS5 has sold so far. The PlayStation brand was launched 27 years ago.

It's pretty bullish, but there's definitely a lot of growth left in a very young market segment. And VR can't just be plugged into any TV or screen, so there's a lot more vendor lock in. Imagine how many TVs Microsoft and Sony would sell if their consoles only worked with specific branded TVs

Facebook has really struggled with hardware, and it's hurting their advertising business a lot. Apple just locked Facebook out of their user metrics platform and it's definitely choking their revenue stream. Facebook could try and launch another phone but funneling more money into VR seems not unwise at this point

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like meta is more about distancing themselves from the poison Facebook name than anything else

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I love when companies faced with extremely negative PR refuse to look inward and instead just say in so many words "we just have to cover our asses better" . The problem with this is approach is they have now framed everything against their obviously lovely reputation while not actually doing anything different. You see the results of such bad communication strategy right in this conversation, everyone is just talking about how much facebook sucks and not about the software they are allegedly moving mountains to create.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

sethsez posted:

From a privacy perspective, a Meta account almost certainly isn't going to be any better than a Facebook one. They're going to siphon your information regardless of what the name is. The theoretical benefit is that you can have a Meta account without having a social media presence, and if you do have a Facebook account that you actually use, activity and friends there don't have to impact your VR usage (so if the Facebook algorithm thinks you're a bot and bans you, it might not have any effect on other things under the Meta umbrella, and if you don't want to connect with your family in VR you don't have to even if you're friends on Facebook).

Part of it ties in to one of the reasons why the merging of FB and Oculus accounts was bad; if you have a FB account and a Meta account, and you never tell FB they're for the same person, there are several jurisdictions in which FB aren't legally allowed to cross-reference information between those two accounts. Obviously like all privacy legislation enforcement is very lax, but it's better than nothing.

Of course FB are counting on 99% of people telling them the accounts are the same, because what, you're just going to abandon all your old purchases when you switch to a Meta account?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

Of course FB are counting on 99% of people telling them the accounts are the same, because what, you're just going to abandon all your old purchases when you switch to a Meta account?

Boz already said they will be able to be migrated or something.

About the meta account, it seems a positive. It's already confirmed that first they will allow 'work accounts' (whatever that is) and later in 2022 the new account system. Which yeah, if you are doing a Meta account, and Meta is FB, you are still signing up with them, but there is a difference: the whole issue with the FB accounts is that they want you to only have one (1) account, it has to be with your real name, and they even may ask you to validate it with a legal document. With Meta, maybe you can signup with DarkLord_6969 and that's it (I mean, it's what I expect, otherwise we would have on the same position as before and this whole exercise was stupid).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

I mean, it's what I expect, otherwise we would have on the same position as before and this whole exercise was stupid.

*shakes 8 ball*

signs point to "yes"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hadlock posted:

*shakes 8 ball*

signs point to "yes"

Hah hah hah!
I laugh because as I was typing the sentence, I knew someone would say that would be the case, and the whole thing is a PR move.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Boz already said they will be able to be migrated or something.

Absolutely, but that migration will surely require you to affirm "this Meta account is held by the same person as this Facebook account".

Turin Turambar posted:

About the meta account, it seems a positive. It's already confirmed that first they will allow 'work accounts' (whatever that is) and later in 2022 the new account system. Which yeah, if you are doing a Meta account, and Meta is FB, you are still signing up with them, but there is a difference: the whole issue with the FB accounts is that they want you to only have one (1) account, it has to be with your real name, and they even may ask you to validate it with a legal document. With Meta, maybe you can signup with DarkLord_6969 and that's it (I mean, it's what I expect, otherwise we would have on the same position as before and this whole exercise was stupid).

I would hope for that too, but I definitely consider it an optimistic position. The main purposes of this exercise from their point of view is good press from "VR headsets no longer require a FB account" and less heat from privacy law enforcement. That has already been achieved by the announcement, so from their point of view there's no reason for the reality to change from how it is now.

The work accounts are actually the more important part of this, I think. As it stands there's an impression that if you want to develop software for Oculus, the developer login with all your signing keys and payment information must be the same login as a random employee's personal FB account, which is stupid and unworkable in both directions. This is the one thing that I would expect FB to put effort into fixing, since it puts off developers rather than consumers, so it's not surprising to me that "work accounts" are the part of the Meta account system that's being prioritised.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Hah hah hah!
I laugh because as I was typing the sentence, I knew someone would say that would be the case, and the whole thing is a PR move.

I mean, yeah this is a giant pr move, although I think zuck genuinely thinks vr is cool technology and his company is ideally situated to make it mainstream

I kind of feel bad for the guy. Imagine your stupid yearbook replacement company makes you a billionaire, but oh, poo poo, turns out humanity is secretly awful oh and hey you accidentally created the world's largest megaphone for nazis

I'd be working my butt off to make sure my legacy was anything besides the Nazi megaphone

Looking forward to 15 years in the future when we find out vr is somehow worse than nazi megaphones. It will probably include deepfakes in new and disgusting ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NRVNQSR posted:

The work accounts are actually the more important part of this, I think. As it stands there's an impression that if you want to develop software for Oculus, the developer login with all your signing keys and payment information must be the same login as a random employee's personal FB account, which is stupid and unworkable in both directions.

Yeah there's a current kludge where if you're the marketing manager for Joe's Steakhouse, you have to manage their Facebook assets via your personal account, but you can at least grant other people access, but it's still a lovely system

Kind of curious if Facebook tries to get into the oauth identity management game, similar to what Google is doing with Enterprise Gmail accounts etc