Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Tried my first run without PD with Leper/MAA/Occultist/Highwayman and won, it was surprisingly not that bad. The Occultist barely did any healing throughout the run too and spent most of his time using tentacle cannons and setting up Combo. Also MAA's Command (Strength token + remove Blind) works as well as you'd think with Leper.

Didn't manage to test the team against Lair bosses though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm curious how wyrd reconstruction is in the sequel.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Probably very wyrd

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Panfilo posted:

I'm curious how wyrd reconstruction is in the sequel.

Fairly foul. Heals for 0 to 33%, can only be used on a target below 33%, 50% chance to bleed for 3 points. Upgrade reduces the bleed to 2 points. 3 uses.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wtf that's terrible. I was hoping it was gonna be something goofy like 0% to +80% HP healed.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Occultist feels more like an Arbalest now honestly. He can heal on the side but his primary thing is setting up Mark/Combo, debuffing, and doing ranged DPS. It's possible they're gonna buff his heal in the future though.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I get adding death's door/deathblow res in as a way to add tension on the last little bit of a fight, but they already have that in terms of damage rolls. One more point of randomness on finishing an important enemy off can feel really bad, especially with setup stuff like mark/vulnerable being completely wasted. The absolute worst is having a dude no sell death's door twice in a row on round 5 of a fight then kick you out with no rewards.

I think there's some mitigation but there should be more, the feel is really not good, ie I feel like it would feel better if some abilities got ignore deathblow res, or if vulnerable canceled deathblow res completely.

EDIT: Currently relationship stuff is extremely swingy and basically drives one way or the other way too fast. The meta is basically spam stress heals early which gets you good relationships built super fast and gives you a ton of free action economy. If you don't, the opposite happens, probably by your first region. It might just be testing numbers during early access but I hope its toned down in release.

Operant fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 28, 2021

A Light Grift
Aug 1, 2011
Loved DD1 and have been super pumped for the sequel. I'm two runs in and enjoying it a lot, but it definitely needs some adjustments here and there.

I would say it's too easy for starters, since I won both of my runs! The first one felt pretty skin-of-my-teeth since I didn't really know what I was doing for most of it and my whole party was in full meltdown mode hating the poo poo out of each other (negative banter and bad-vibes-debuffs were spamming like crazy). Getting a trinket that healed the Man at Arms every turn early on really carried that first go-around, I think. Second run started off badly when I lost my Hellion in the first zone but she got replaced with a Grave Robber and everyone miraculously became best buds and kicked rear end the rest of the way. Not bad!

The Epic store has an "experimental" version of DD2 in addition to the regular game. Anybody know what's up with that?

EDIT: welp I just booted it up after it took like 15 minutes to sync and I lost my last run. drat, son. Guess that's early access for you.

A Light Grift fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 28, 2021

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

A Light Grift posted:

EDIT: welp I just booted it up after it took like 15 minutes to sync and I lost my last run. drat, son. Guess that's early access for you.

I turned off cloud syncing, it takes forever.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I feel like the Hag's Hoard and Ghastly Gruel should have some kind of trinket synergy bonus, being a bowl of soup and a set of spoons

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Diephoon posted:

I turned off cloud syncing, it takes forever.

had to turn off cloud sync too, lost my 10hr save file today after the game crashed and the launcher couldn't decide which broken save file to use.

to be clear I'm like 99.9% sure this is not red hook but rather the epic games launcher. second time in as many days the cloud sync has messed with it. i recommend just turning it off, been a straight up headache.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I want to get this but I do not an Epic Game Store account nor do I really ever intend to get one. Are there any plans for a Switch port like how the first game originally got? My understanding is that it's EGS exclusive, but I have no idea if that's a timed exclusive (in which case Steam or GOG when), or if that exclusivity is only in the context of computers and if console ports are still on the table.

there's no official list of where it's getting ported iirc but I'm like 90% sure it will be on Switch when it releases. I read somewhere it would be ported to Xbox, PS4, PS5, and Switch but forgot which site had that.

It's 1 year of EGS early access exclusivity; same deal as Hades.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
That's cool and good to know, thanks!
Any recommended Goon streams/plays? I want to experience this vicariously.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Rofl there's a bug right now where the Leper just randomly grows 10% larger. Dude is making sick gains between rounds haha.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
So I may be blind but: how are you supposed to use the stagecoach upgrades like the griddle or alembic? Does it add new things for purchase at the provisioner or is it used on the road?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

So I may be blind but: how are you supposed to use the stagecoach upgrades like the griddle or alembic? Does it add new things for purchase at the provisioner or is it used on the road?

You install them on your coach at the inn. It's on one of the tabs in the lower left, like the mastery trainer.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

You install them on your coach at the inn. It's on one of the tabs in the lower left, like the mastery trainer.

Sorry I wasn't more clear, I was wondering how you use them to produce pancakes or powders or whatever once they're installed on the coach.

A Light Grift
Aug 1, 2011

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

Sorry I wasn't more clear, I was wondering how you use them to produce pancakes or powders or whatever once they're installed on the coach.

They should just randomly appear in your inventory as you drive the stagecoach. That's how the flapjacks get made, at least.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Operant posted:

I get adding death's door/deathblow res in as a way to add tension on the last little bit of a fight, but they already have that in terms of damage rolls. One more point of randomness on finishing an important enemy off can feel really bad, especially with setup stuff like mark/vulnerable being completely wasted. The absolute worst is having a dude no sell death's door twice in a row on round 5 of a fight then kick you out with no rewards.

I think there's some mitigation but there should be more, the feel is really not good, ie I feel like it would feel better if some abilities got ignore deathblow res, or if vulnerable canceled deathblow res completely.

EDIT: Currently relationship stuff is extremely swingy and basically drives one way or the other way too fast. The meta is basically spam stress heals early which gets you good relationships built super fast and gives you a ton of free action economy. If you don't, the opposite happens, probably by your first region. It might just be testing numbers during early access but I hope its toned down in release.

At first I didn't like the deathblow thing, but it really hasn't been an issue for me most of the time. On my whole last run (which cleared the act), there were maybe two fights where it made any significant difference. Doesn't seem like it's tuned to cause that much trouble. Like it's there to let an enemy hang around for an extra round every now and again and drain a little more of your health/stress, which mitigation of is kind of the name of the game anyway.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Well, beat my first Denial run. My Graverobber and Highwayman fought bravely, although, alas, Audrey never did make up with Bonnie after their initial fling.

Gotta say:

1: Calling it now: I'm almost positive this is going to end up being some sort of "you actually did all of this" and/or "this whole thing is in your head", given the nature of the first boss.

2: The Mountain isn't much of an area, but mood-wise it's pretty spectacular, especially given how your otherwise up-until-this-point sometimes cowardly or selfish party just totally want to throw down. Dig it. Wish it was longer. "End of the world in howling snow" is a GOOD vibe.

3: I agree that relationships rely way too much on keeping your stress low in the first area, which is a shame - positive relationships feel really good in your party. I like it, if anything I think they need to make it easier to establish and maintain them. It can feel very random, as well as feast-or-famine. But that said: positive relationships are really good as a mechanic; they really re-emphasize the themes of hope and positivity in the face of the end that the devs say they're going for, and rewarding positive relationships in your party with massive gameplay bonuses is a feel-great element. It's just irritating that it's so easy to get locked into a hate-spiral in your party, because unless you know you need to keep stress low in the first few areas (something that's nearly ENTIRELY reliant on two classes, specifically spamming two moves from two classes in your random encounters, in your early runs), you're FAR more likely to have a coach full of backbiting assholes who loathe each other than a band of brothers.

Maybe give the player more meaningful options/choices in combat and overworld to nourish positive sentiment or relationships? Because inns really are a TINY part of any given run, and by the time you've reached one it's usually too little too late. Or maybe put rest stops within the areas, or even turn assistance encounters into a mini-inn? Honestly the loot from assistance encounters is BY FAR the least important aspect of them; the hope gain is way more crucial.

4: It's not obvious that the torch mechanic is so reliant on Assistance encounters. Again, I like what they're going for but the game feels super deterministic in terms of "unless you pick a LOT of them you'll rapidly run out of torch." There's not that much in the way of obvious choices on the road map, and the hitting items feels both pointless and random. I'd rather have more random optional encounters like the points of interest in the first DD.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 29, 2021

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Man, the death's door thing for enemies is real bullshit on turn limited battles. At the very least, if all living enemies are at death's door they should automatically die at the end of the last turn. I mean it makes sense that you would just go pick off the stragglers at the end of a fight if they're all downed.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

blizzardvizard posted:

Dismas you dog

doggest dungeon

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

1: Calling it now: I'm almost positive this is going to end up being some sort of "you actually did all of this" and/or "this whole thing is in your head", given the nature of the first boss.

Well, some of the Cultist enemies are doing a move called 'Face your Confession' and one of the Valley plot segments says something about the main character and the Academic finding details about the Iron Crowns in a cypher in another work.

At the same time the Academic knows nothing of the Swine. "There is rumour that they have a demoniac intelligence." The players who played the first know what's going on.

I suppose a theme could be 'consequences'; and not just your own. The Swine are spreading, the madness of the Dungeon is spreading, despite any successes that may or may not have existed. Shut a door, open a window...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jetrauben posted:

4: It's not obvious that the torch mechanic is so reliant on Assistance encounters. Again, I like what they're going for but the game feels super deterministic in terms of "unless you pick a LOT of them you'll rapidly run out of torch." There's not that much in the way of obvious choices on the road map, and the hitting items feels both pointless and random. I'd rather have more random optional encounters like the points of interest in the first DD.

You also have to keep Loathing down, because at max Loathing the torch drains twice as fast. What this means is you can't just avoid all the fights even if you got lucky with paths.

Normally it's a no brainer to go with +30 torch as a choice, though if you have two consecutive assistance nodes you can give up torch on the first one and make it up on the second (this is I think the only way to get trinkets from that encounter).

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Wrr posted:

I know this is from pages before, but, is it possible for you to demonstrate this after the game is released.

That is to say, once NDAs are not an issue, is there a version of the game you could release video from where, for lack of a better term, your contributions are turned "off"?

You can find that out right now!
Grab some models from Mixamo. Open a new project in unity. Pop those models in. Compare with Darkest Dungeon 2. Oh and imagine that there are no flappy banners in the wind and that stuff doesn’t fade/dither if it blocks the camera. And no cool multicolor fog and no context sensitive color grading and no outlines. And no animated menus and no blur and no cool glowing stuff and…well I could go on but you get the point.

also imagine the game running worse because I also did stuff like render optimization.

uh I also did the pick which monitor thing in options.

More to your point I doubt I could ever release footage of the game off-model so to speak, but I’ve of course hosed with it for my own amusement to make everything look like a Lisa Frank trapper keeper.

quote:

I'm really curious to see some of the stuff that is crucial to making a game look good but is nearly invisible to the untrained eye.

Good shading vs bad shading isn’t “invisible to the untrained eye,” any layperson can spot bad shading, but they often don’t know how to articulate it. People know that stylized models in Unity’s default shader look terrible but struggle to explain why.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I think without a doubt DD2 is the best looking cell shaded game I've ever seen, it's blown my mind.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Chalks posted:

I think without a doubt DD2 is the best looking cell shaded game I've ever seen, it's blown my mind.

:neckbeard:

It’s ultimately Chris Bourassa who is responsible for how amazing the game looks since everyone on the team was there to make it look exactly the way he wanted but I’m still insanely proud to have been the one who set the bar for “great cel shading.”

I’m not allowed to talk about how I did it now but I’ll be able to when we’re out of EA so I’m looking forward to that.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
The longer I play the more I miss all the absent classes and the necessity to get inventive with party composition due to half your roster being nuts/dead/on a bender.

The Vestal and Arbalest in particular feel like they should be there; a heavy hitter that needs to sit in the back and a character with a strong heal focus.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

DLC Inc posted:

there's no official list of where it's getting ported iirc but I'm like 90% sure it will be on Switch when it releases. I read somewhere it would be ported to Xbox, PS4, PS5, and Switch but forgot which site had that.

Red Hook posted:

***Will it come to consoles, and when?***
We have not finalized our console plans yet.

***Will it come to mobile?***
No plans at this time.

***What about Mac/Linux?:***
We will eventually port to Mac and will give an eta when we know. No plans for Linux.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The animation are so good I want a 4 player beat ‘‘em up set in the darkest dungeon universe ala Shadow over Mystara

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

DrManiac posted:

The animation are so good I want a 4 player beat ‘‘em up set in the darkest dungeon universe ala Shadow over Mystara

The character animation is really good, but one thing that really makes the game shine is the VFX. The non-character real-time animations are really what give the actions in the game their punch. We have a very talented VFX artist making it all happen. One of my roles on the team was for him to describe to me an effect he wanted to do, then I would make the shader, and he would implement it. so for example if you see a light shaft in the game, I wrote the code for light shafts but he would be the one actually deciding how, when, and where to use them.

He and the character animator are tight irl so they’d often be at each other’s apartment and I’d see them working in the same room over video calls :3:

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Yeah the actual look and animation of this game is loving nuts. I was not sold on the new proportions for the characters until I saw things in motion, then my jaw dropped lol

EDIT: As a pro comic artist the attention to weight/impact in every single battle animation loving rules

Operant fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 29, 2021

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Another really amazing thing about this game is that for the majority of development everyone was working from home. (Well unless they move me to Canada I will always be working from home.) It probably helped that most of the team knew each other IRL before the plague hit, but the cohesion/organization was real good and even though we’re all still working our asses off, the launch was pretty smooth. I’ve worked in both enterprise softdev and gamedev and it’s probably the least dysfunctional professional environment I’ve spent any amount of time in.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

The longer I play the more I miss all the absent classes and the necessity to get inventive with party composition due to half your roster being nuts/dead/on a bender.

The Vestal and Arbalest in particular feel like they should be there; a heavy hitter that needs to sit in the back and a character with a strong heal focus.
Here's how I'd build the Arbalest based on sequel mechanics. / indicates mastery skill.

Arbalest skills

Sniper shot: Ranged damage/vs combo ignore evasion and +50% crit

Blindfire: Hit random enemy /Boost speed prioritizes combo targets

Bolas: light damage, Push, immobilize front 2 targets/also weakens

Supressing Fire: immobilize, blind back 2 targets /stuns combo targets

Battle bandage: 10% heal target under 25%, next heal 25% more effective /15% heal under 25%, next 2 heals 25% more effective.

Rallying Flare: Remove immobilize, combo points on allies/50%, chance to heal 1 stress and remove stun on allies

Snipers Mark: Add combo point to target and remove evasion token/Remove all evasion tokens and give weakened to target as well.

Sitting Duck: Only targets immobilized enemies, heavy damage removes all debuffs on enemy /can also target blind and dazed enemies

Triage: Randomly heals one ally, prioritizing ally with either lowest health or lowest total hp/gives target regen if it was on deaths door.

Dead to Rights: Guaranteed kill vs deaths door enemies/instantly kills target under 5% HP if it is size 1 with no buffs at the time.

Overwatch: Riposte charge that will trigger when an enemy repositions/get a second charge, also triggers when a combo token enemy takes any action.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
It's really well done, aye.

I'd probably ask some questions about model specifications, but I'm sure we'll get some ideas for what's expected later as the modding scene gets going.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
All the little animations are so cool. Reynauld flipping his knife, Jingles doing a goofy pirouette, Barristan dragging his mace back into position. The enemies are similarly dynamic, Woodsman getting me right in the feels the way he keeps looking at that little doll.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm wondering if I should try to get the Darkest Dungeon boardgame now.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

For real, so many of the models look incredible. Dismas is still the goat and is probably never leaving my party.

Still don't know if i've seen every region yet but the one with the Darkroot Garden-esque knights is prob my favorite. Even the basic footsoldier guys who scrape their sword on the ground are great.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tried out a Jester/Highwayman duo in front and it's just a murder blender. Jester can get into a groove of moving back -> moving forward whilst accruing dodge/buffs, and constantly shuffling Dismas into the Point-Blank Shot.

I miss the camp skills though---they added a lot of character to some of them, especially with Occultist and Jester having those thematic skills that sometimes affected others/themselves negative in exchange for a big buff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The Mastery system is cool but I don't love how you get the one point to spend at the first inn and are pretty much forced to take one of the stress-reducing upgrades. The combat system opens up quite a bit once you make it to the second inn with a few points to spend on other stuff, but that illusory choice at the beginning doesn't feel great.

Edit: Also I had a run where my Plague Doctor got Breacher as her starting positive trait and man, that sucked.