Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

and so as larry p. observed, "god bless us, every one"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Arrhythmia posted:

gamer christmases past, past, past, present, present, past, present, past, present, and future

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

That Little Demon posted:

remembering fondly bob using cheat engine to beat the tutorial of Nier

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

gamer christmases past, past, past, present, present, past, present, past, present, and future

Fungah! posted:

and so as larry p. observed, "god bless us, every one"

lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bicyclops getting shown the Cratchit family playing New Super Mario Bros on a battered Wii and feeling inspired by Tiny Tim's excitement over beating a level in a single try

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

symbolic posted:

Bicyclops getting shown the Cratchit family playing New Super Mario Bros on a battered Wii and feeling inspired by Tiny Tim's excitement over beating a level in a single try

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Here lies Bicyclops

He never scored (legitimately)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Here lies Bicyclops

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Here lies Bicyclops

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Here lies Bicyclops

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

THE GHOST OF BILLY MITCHELL: I wear the chain I forged in life! I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. Is its pattern strange to you?

lmao. here's my last point on it all, and then i'm done commenting on it. afraid this will get ugly so i'll leave the NES stuff to myself going forward unless someone asks:

for stuff like castlevania, super mario bros, commando, etc. i largely agree with what fungah says, i just think that if you pause overnight, you gotta get your sea legs back. castlevania is a well-designed game and the weigh points are intentional, and there are lots of games like that. i'm not going to save scum my way through super mario bros 3 or contra (which i haven't played) or w/e.

but:

that is not true of every NES game. a ton of them have 35 minutes of easy material followed by five minutes of something hard, and i'd rather cheat by saving at the 35 minute mark than never get to the end. zelda 2 (which i did beat on a console) is honestly a better game for save states. that last dungeon is bullshit. and because you can't BEAT the arcadey stuff, experiencing it is learning all the weird stuff that's going on inside. i solved the part i got stuck at in donkey kong jr. when i was at the arcade cabinet in the second grade and would have a decent chance of actually getting past it with a handfull of quarters now. if you put me in a time portal, i could probably beat the high score in the bowling alley in my neighborhood that had burger time, and i know a lot about what the layout of all six levels and how to trick the hot dogs into waddling off the ladders so you get that extra half a second to get ahead of them. that's enough for me.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Here lies Bicyclops

lol

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

whats up guys. in training here about to play and beat the ultimate level of mario galaxy 2. :cool: just using a lil cheat code to get the star bits i need. :D time to select and resume my save file without incident.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

b_d posted:

whats up guys. in training here about to play and beat the ultimate level of mario galaxy 2. :cool: just using a lil cheat code to get the star bits i need. :D time to select and resume my save file without incident.

*yelling like a child at blue's clues* The delete button!!! the delete button is behind you!!! he's rig- he's right thereee!!!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I like the NES updates bicyclops

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Jenny Agutter posted:

Same. If they're too impure or whatever for this thread, I'd happily follow a separate one

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Like there's nothing wrong with what you're doing aside from saying you beat games when you didn't. So just don't do the thing that makes people mad.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
hang on people were mad?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

b_d posted:

Lmao

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I don’t care how you beat a game. I’m not the games beat police

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

fair enough, i'll just put all the NES games in a separate category instead of a numbered list. think of them as games "completed" instead of beat or whatever floats your boat.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

fair enough, i'll just put all the NES games in a separate category instead of a numbered list. think of them as games "completed" instead of beat or whatever floats your boat.

Cool. Not trying to flame you and legit appreciate seeing the thoughts on these old games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jenny Agutter posted:

I do too but it's fun to make fun of your social betters

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Arrhythmia posted:

lol

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I love the NES and all its terrible games.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Marching Powder posted:

hang on people were mad?
I'm still mad.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's not going to matter much because i will be playing ikari warriors until the end of time, apparently.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Bloopsy posted:

Cyberpunk 2077
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gears 5
Skies of Arcadia (DC...ugh)
Detroit: Become Human(twice)
Metro Exodus Enhanced

Aliens Colonial Marines
Doom 2016
Metal Slug
Red Dead Redemption 2 (xoxo)

Bloopsy fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 29, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

it's not going to matter much because i will be playing ikari warriors until the end of time, apparently.

Ikari Warriors on NES sucks rear end. Another Micronics joint

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Ikari Warriors is almost impossible without the continue code, pretty sure it took TMR one thousand hours.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

buffalo all day posted:

FF7R (PS5) - what a game. Great script, fun combat, good characters, it looked phenomenal. Never played the original so I’m happy to finally experience this. Normal difficulty wasn’t exactly taxing - I think the only thing that killed me was the final boss in the final road chase sequence - but that didn’t make it any less fun. Gonna probably dive right into the DLC, I’m not done with this yet.

Finished the DLC. There is some absolutely wild plot poo poo going on at the end that I don’t understand at all but combat was hella fun with Yuffie and Sonon, was twitchy and completely different from the main title and perfect for a DLC, and the final boss felt suitably epic. Now I’m hype for the next installment.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SNK took the exact same route that Capcom did for NES development, contract Micronics for a few arcade ports and then kick them to the curb for in-house development

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Ikari Warriors on NES sucks rear end. Another Micronics joint

yeah. looking it up, i can tell that the port is a lot worse than the arcade cabinet, which had one joystick for aiming and one for moving. that would have helped, i think. it's Commando, but bad. it's funny how obviously they wanted it to be a licensed rambo game (it's named after the japanese title for rambo 2 and when they couldn't secure the rights, they went to sylvester stallone directly but still couldn't work it out, lol).

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
save stater hits brick wall in game that has infinite lives

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

yeah. looking it up, i can tell that the port is a lot worse than the arcade cabinet, which had one joystick for aiming and one for moving. that would have helped, i think. it's Commando, but bad. it's funny how obviously they wanted it to be a licensed rambo game (it's named after the japanese title for rambo 2 and when they couldn't secure the rights, they went to sylvester stallone directly but still couldn't work it out, lol).

They figured it out eventually, the NES port of Guerrilla War rules

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

SNK took the exact same route that Capcom did for NES development, contract Micronics for a few arcade ports and then kick them to the curb for in-house development

snk still made terrible games tho, pretty chill

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

except for crystalis (winstalis)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Iron Tank is cool.