Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
CW Pencil Enterprises is shutting down over the next month or two. No big deals but there is some unique stuff Caroline had produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I apologize bank account, but it has to be done.

e: Sailor Pro Gear Slim in Habanero with the zoom nib, with Robert Oster's Pen Addict Fire on Fire for the ink.

iospace fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 19, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Y'all are wanting me to buy a new pen despite not having used one in ages due to work from home.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I applied for a desk job (currently in front line healthcare) and I'm mostly excited about being dressed nicely and being able to wear a watch and use my pens sometime.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

howe_sam posted:

The new hotness has arrived, a clear Custom 823 with a broad nib.

The very first thing I did when the pen showed up was slap in a three slit ebonite feed, so of course Emerald of Chivor was the first ink i reached for. As I've said, my ultimate goal is to put a FA nib in it and have some fun.

Ohh that's nice. Did you get the feed from flexiblenibs or somewhere else?

An 823 with an FA nib is my current grail pen

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

howe_sam posted:

The new hotness has arrived, a clear Custom 823 with a broad nib.

The very first thing I did when the pen showed up was slap in a three slit ebonite feed, so of course Emerald of Chivor was the first ink i reached for. As I've said, my ultimate goal is to put a FA nib in it and have some fun.

Yo man this is cool as hell. Like :krad:. I wanna see it with the FA nib

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I tried the FA nib twice and ehh greatly prefer vintage pens.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I know vintage flex is better, but I'd rather have a modern pen all things considered so the FA will have to do.

Sankis posted:

Ohh that's nice. Did you get the feed from flexiblenibs or somewhere else?

An 823 with an FA nib is my current grail pen

Yeah I got it at Flexiblenibs. I've also have a two slit ebonite feed from them in my other 823 with a Waverly nib, and let me tell you, that is a choice writing experience.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Are used mont blancs worth anything? I found one for 90 on local CL, but they're are no details on use or condition or anything.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Are used mont blancs worth anything? I found one for 90 on local CL, but they're are no details on use or condition or anything.

Entirely dependant on model and condition. 90 could be a ripoff or the steal of the century.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dad Hominem posted:

Entirely dependant on model and condition. 90 could be a ripoff or the steal of the century.

Or a fake

There are lots, and lots of fakes.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Grack has a point. Lots of fakes. I'm in no position to buy a montblanc (I'd so love a 149 though...) but i don't think I'd even consider without a hands on.

If the seller knows its a montblanc and is still only trying to get $90 id be extremely wary. Likely fake or stolen.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 20, 2021

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Thanks, everyone. I don't like using craigslist much anyway

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, it's the Pro Gear Slim, and it is comfy to write with, especially posted. It's slightly shorter than my Vac Mini (by like a hair). The nice thing is I don't have to screw the cap on to post it like my Mini, but you don't have the vac filler or the ink shutoff.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Oh poo poo are we posting our ink collections that we'll totally get around to using one of these days?

Ill totally use these up as soon as Im not working 60+ hours a week :negative:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm in school and I'm using a ton of one color of a bottle of Noodler's that I've had for years and it's .... Maybe 85% full

I have many bottles

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Three quarters of the ink I have came free from someone in my local pen club. Apparently his wife found his collection and ordered him to get rid of a bunch or it was going down the sink.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have started migrating some of my Noodler's and other ink to my office, ostensibly so that I have waterproof ink on hand but the true reason is that I don't want to find a new location for my new inks.

I just ordered a bottle of kung te-cheng and a platinum pen to use with it, because I hear that it works very well with postcards. I tried using a pen with heart of darkness and it wouldn't stop smearing. Had to resort to a permanent marker to address a new postcard and a ballpoint pen to fill in the message.

I might start sending postcards in the goonmail thread. Gotta get through this ink somehow! And forever international stamps are only like a dollar.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

sb hermit posted:

I have started migrating some of my Noodler's and other ink to my office, ostensibly so that I have waterproof ink on hand but the true reason is that I don't want to find a new location for my new inks.

I just ordered a bottle of kung te-cheng and a platinum pen to use with it, because I hear that it works very well with postcards. I tried using a pen with heart of darkness and it wouldn't stop smearing. Had to resort to a permanent marker to address a new postcard and a ballpoint pen to fill in the message.

I might start sending postcards in the goonmail thread. Gotta get through this ink somehow! And forever international stamps are only like a dollar.

For addresses I use Pilot Carbon Black which is pretty bullet proof as well but has a tendency to feather on some paper.
In the snailmail thread addressee list, there are 3 or 4 people outside of the US but I can highly recommend joining, the joy of sending and receiving mail is underestimated.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keetron posted:

For addresses I use Pilot Carbon Black which is pretty bullet proof as well but has a tendency to feather on some paper.
In the snailmail thread addressee list, there are 3 or 4 people outside of the US but I can highly recommend joining, the joy of sending and receiving mail is underestimated.

:toot:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I use Sailor Sei-boku these days for waterproof ink.

It's like they made a better 54th Massachusetts.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I bought some CON-40s for my Pilot Metro Pops because I wanted to be able to refill them at work and I didn't want to be the weirdo at my desk with a syringe full of red.

Man. These things really do suck, huh.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Everett False posted:

I bought some CON-40s for my Pilot Metro Pops because I wanted to be able to refill them at work and I didn't want to be the weirdo at my desk with a syringe full of red.

Man. These things really do suck, huh.

instead, you'll just be the person with red on their fingers the entire day

I forgot that platinum has proprietary converters and now I have to wait for jetpens to get some in stock and also find another noodler's ink to pick up to hit free shipping

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

sb hermit posted:

I've also done this, but more because I don't want to imagine what would happen if my toddler found a bottle of ink.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Need an ink recommendation. I love deep blues (my two favorite inks are Diamine Skull & Roses and Twilight) but need something that's not going to bleed the second anything even slightly damp touches it.

Most of what comes up when I look for blue and water resistant on Goulet is noodlers, so is Belted Kingfisher going to be my best bet? I've been scared off of baystate blue by its reputation for staining anything it comes in contact with.

Edit: and should mention, the Sailor Sei-boku is too gray for me.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 26, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
BBKF is my most used ink by far. It's great.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

All this ink talk made me load up a cart in my fav pen shop, I had like 8 bottles in there.
Then the page did not work for me, could be cookies, could be a site malfunction but I was saved by the bell.
I need to stop reading this thread before I end up with more ink.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Heath posted:

BBKF is my most used ink by far. It's great.

Indeed. It’s a really dark and rich blue black. Plus the bottle has a kingfisher on the label.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Also, you can dilute it like crazy. The one flaw it has is that it tends to thicken over time in the pen - I suspect the water drains out of it faster than the pigment does - so after it starts getting low it tends to get darker and not dry as well. Usually when it gets down to about 1/4 capacity I will just fill the converter with plain water and it writes like new, and I can usually do that twice before it gets too light. It's the most stretchable ink ever.

I had a work Preppy that I barrel-filled with it, refilled it with water and it lasted another year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Two of my pens are officially in LA now!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

looking for high Quilty click pen bodies for Pentel enerGel .07MM and pilot precise v5 needle tip refills to fit. I'm fine sanding down the end of the Pentel since they are long, but I gotta have those needle tips.

I'm looking at the Lamy CP1 click, but it looks pretty short. Any other suggestions? I already have a special addition Pentel metal body, and the pilot g2 metal body ones that work, but I'm looking more in the $40-70 dollar range for quality of body.

Basically, this will be my daily hobo notebook pen, which is why I'm fine with higher quality. (I use fountain pens for my journaling versus quick notes).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LionArcher posted:

looking for high Quilty click pen bodies for Pentel enerGel .07MM and pilot precise v5 needle tip refills to fit. I'm fine sanding down the end of the Pentel since they are long, but I gotta have those needle tips.

I'm looking at the Lamy CP1 click, but it looks pretty short. Any other suggestions? I already have a special addition Pentel metal body, and the pilot g2 metal body ones that work, but I'm looking more in the $40-70 dollar range for quality of body.

Basically, this will be my daily hobo notebook pen, which is why I'm fine with higher quality. (I use fountain pens for my journaling versus quick notes).

The two that immediately spring to mind are Tactile Turn and Karas Pen Co

Karas is more in your price range (75 for a Bolt, Retrakt, or Render K vs 100 for a Tactile Turn), but I've heard amazing things about Tactile Turn as well. I've used one of Karas's EDKs (and lost it) and have a Bolt V2 that I have a space pen refill in for bike duty (read: year round outside duty)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Would anybody have any interest in buying a Tactile Turn bolt action rollerball with brass finish, slim model? I've only had it about a month and I've come to the conclusion that I don't care for a heavy pen all that much.

Edit: I did not read the above posts

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Heath posted:

Would anybody have any interest in buying a Tactile Turn bolt action rollerball with brass finish, slim model? I've only had it about a month and I've come to the conclusion that I don't care for a heavy pen all that much.

Edit: I did not read the above posts

I actually should have clarified that. I really don't want heavy. Both of those suggestions are far too heavy for me.

Hence why I was looking at the Lamy CP1, but I'm just curious about if it could take the cartridge.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LionArcher posted:

I actually should have clarified that. I really don't want heavy. Both of those suggestions are far too heavy for me.

Hence why I was looking at the Lamy CP1, but I'm just curious about if it could take the cartridge.

Also an option: https://spokedesign.com/collections/pen/products/spoke-pen-red-with-black-aluminum-grip

Will take the cart, smack in your price range, and doesn't seem that hefty. Only downside is it's capped and the cap won't post.

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 29, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Well, if anyone else wants a brand new Tactile Turn on discount, PM me. I'd take 75 for it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Damnit, dropped my pilot on the floor, broke the feed, nib seems whole. Wonder if I can replace it with a nib from one of the noodlers pens I got that I don't use anymore.

Gotta say after many many years the three best pens I have are the pilot metro, black lamy with a wide nib and another pilot with a super thin nib. All the noodlers I have ever bought turned out to be disappointing in the end, never stayed working and I got tired of fiddling.

Noodlers inks have worked well for me though, my favorite looks wise is baystate blue but it feathers too much, so I mostly use the eel blue. I'd love to find something like baystate, permanent but not as feathering on cheap paper and copy paper.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Damnit, dropped my pilot on the floor, broke the feed, nib seems whole. Wonder if I can replace it with a nib from one of the noodlers pens I got that I don't use anymore.

Gotta say after many many years the three best pens I have are the pilot metro, black lamy with a wide nib and another pilot with a super thin nib. All the noodlers I have ever bought turned out to be disappointing in the end, never stayed working and I got tired of fiddling.

Noodlers inks have worked well for me though, my favorite looks wise is baystate blue but it feathers too much, so I mostly use the eel blue. I'd love to find something like baystate, permanent but not as feathering on cheap paper and copy paper.

I dropped my pilot on the ground and broke the nib, let me mail you my feed? Are they any different from nib size to nib size? Mine was an F, as in gently caress I Dropped my Pen.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Press F to pay it forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

VelociBacon posted:

I dropped my pilot on the ground and broke the nib, let me mail you my feed? Are they any different from nib size to nib size? Mine was an F, as in gently caress I Dropped my Pen.

Appreciated, though I think it might have to go a very long way (I'm Finland) and is perhaps a bit overkill to send so far.

I think I got a medium nib on this pen. I've been thinking of buying raw ebonite and turning it on my lathe to make my own feed, something I thought about over a year ago I think.