Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Cold on a Cob posted:

i don't see any 32C on that gif?

isn't that the crazy doomer guy that every other doomer thinks is too crazy?

It is indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I had a dream that all of humanity lived in a basin that was filling with water. The flooding would eventually reach the ceiling and drown us all, but nearly everyone said "it's OK, when the water gets too high we'll just punch our way through the ceiling." Suddenly the water began to rise much quicker. Only a few people out of a million managed to get on top of the ceiling.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Reverend Zero posted:

combine destroyed capitalistic human society in 7 hours

sterilization

jobs program

metrocops beat you for littering

train-based transit and shipping

dr. breen did nothing wrong

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Anyway more on topic:

https://e360.yale.edu/features/on-the-klamath-dam-removal-may-come-too-late-to-save-the-salmon

quote:

The main reason for removing the dams is that they have played a major role in decimating the basin’s salmon population, to the point that some runs have gone extinct and all others are in severe decline — and the basin’s four Indigenous tribal groups, whose cultures and diets all revolve around fish, have suffered as the fish have dwindled. But this year the basin has experienced so many kinds of climate-change-linked plagues — a paradigm-shattering drought, the worst grasshopper infestation in a generation, and a monster fire⁠ — that it’s uncertain whether the remaining salmon will survive long enough to benefit from the dams’ dismantling.

“The Klamath salmon are now on a course toward extinction in the near term,” Frankie Myers⁠, vice chairman of the Yurok Tribe

an infectious parasite called Ceratonova shasta whose spread was accelerated by climate-change-driven high water temperatures and low flows. In March C. shasta killed most of a year class of juvenile salmon making its way downriver. One sample found that 97 percent⁠ of tested juveniles were infected and 63 percent were expected to die⁠. All the more ominous, those statistics didn’t take into account fish that had already died.

Until white settlers introduced logging, mining, farming, ranching, and the ultimate insult, dams, the Klamath was the Pacific Coast’s third-largest salmon fishery. The disappearance of salmon would harm a vast menagerie of other animals: at least 137⁠ other fish and wildlife species depend on salmons’ heroic life cycle

FERC has indicated that it doesn’t plan on issuing its ruling until September 2022⁠, which would push back demolition to early 2024.

Delay increases odds of the unthinkable: a hard-fought, two-decade-long campaign to restore wild salmon that culminates in dam removal in a river largely without them.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

"the unthinkable" lol

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

IAMKOREA posted:

"the unthinkable" lol

if you think about it you might believe there's a systemic problem so we can't do that

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
who doesn't like t shirt weather

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

theres now more biodiversity in nyc than anyone can remember because pesiticides were banned in parks while the suburbs got sterilized

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/28/nyregion/nyc-wildlife-habitats-animals.html

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

https://thebulletin.org/2021/10/jellyfish-attack-nuclear-power-plant-again/

quote:

Jellyfish attack nuclear power plant. Again.

Scotland’s only working nuclear power plant at Torness shut down in an emergency procedure this week when jellyfish clogged the sea water-cooling intake pipes at the plant, according to the Scotland Herald. Without access to cool water, a nuclear power plant risks overheating, with potentially disastrous results (see: Fukushima). The intake pipes can also be damaged, which disrupts power generation. And ocean life that gets sucked into a power plant’s intake pipes risks death.

The threat these gelatinous, pulsating, umbrella-shaped marine animals pose to nuclear power plants is neither new nor unknown. (Indeed, the Bulletin reported on this threat in 2015.) Nuclear power plant closures—even temporary ones—are expensive. To protect marine life and avert power plant closures, scientists are exploring early warning system options. For example, researchers at Cranfield University in the United Kingdom launched a project earlier this year to determine whether drones may be used to provide estimates of jellyfish locations, amounts, and density.

“The successful operation of [beyond visual line of sight drones] will enable us to detect threats from marine ingress at an earlier state and prevent disruption to the power plant,”
Monica Rivas Casado, a senior lecturer in environmental monitoring at Cranfield, said. In the United Kingdom, 20 percent of electricity is nuclear, a percentage roughly equaled in the United States, compared with approximately 10 percent globally.

The clash between gelatinous jellyfish and hulking nuclear power plants has a long history. These spineless, brainless, bloodless creatures shut down the Torness nuclear power plant in 2011 at a cost of approximately $1.5 million per day, according to one estimate. Swarms of these invertebrates have also been responsible for nuclear power plant shutdowns in Israel, Japan, the United States, the Philippines, South Korea, and Sweden.

Humans have unwittingly nurtured the adversarial relationship between jellyfish and nuclear power plants. That is, human-induced climate change has raised ocean water temperatures, setting conditions for larger-than-usual jellyfish populations. Further, the relatively warm water near nuclear power plant discharge outlets may attract jellyfish swarms, according to one study. Also, pollution has lowered oxygen levels in sea water, which jellyfish tolerate more than other marine animals, leading to their proliferation.

just fuckin lol

I know which side I'm betting on

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Plastic is made out of oil right? Why don't we just...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it owns jellyfish will inherent the earth

portugese man o wars on the other hand can get hosed, dumb zooid pieces of poo poo. and their population is exploding massively the past decade. then again they're also swarming beaches stinging fat boomers, so they aren't so bad and will probably also inherent the earth.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Homeless Friend posted:

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etY7kbRRQ_c&t=27s

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
https://torontosun.com/news/world/s...2-2866e31b1383/

Nice little preview of what's inevitably going to happen in the western world.

If there's something that would unite Americans, it'd be rich pricks and politicians telling us to consume less while they don't change a single habit.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If there's something that would unite Americans, it'd be rich pricks and politicians telling us to consume less while they don't change a single habit.

there's no proof this is actually happening

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Of course The Sun would use old photos instead of the current ones of our swelt glorious leader.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

As an American, I'm 100% confident that my fellow citizens will go loving cannibal before they give up overeating

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Lmao that people still fall for the whacky north korea news mill, they're probably forced to eat all leftover cut hair from everyone being forced to wear kim jong uns hairstyle too :allears:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Homeless Friend posted:

lmao

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Anyway came here to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie1X5t_7Zto

Tornados in the amazon :rubby:

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Stereotype posted:

all red is good right

the red parts go faster

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

tornados are cool. id let one kill me

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

sharknado was ahead of its time

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

theres now more biodiversity in nyc than anyone can remember because pesiticides were banned in parks while the suburbs got sterilized

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/28/nyregion/nyc-wildlife-habitats-animals.html

Cant read because paywall but i visited NYC last month for the first time in a few years and definitely noticed lots of insect sounds, especially crickets. Even in manhattan, walking around the upper east side! I dont know if it's always been like that but it was really nice.

I don't think I've ever heard a cricket in my backyard in Olympia :(

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

I was like ‘Red and Blue just switch every other year? Ah the red is getting bigger…oh. :stare:

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Xaris posted:

it owns jellyfish will inherent the earth

portugese man o wars on the other hand can get hosed, dumb zooid pieces of poo poo. and their population is exploding massively the past decade. then again they're also swarming beaches stinging fat boomers, so they aren't so bad and will probably also inherent the earth.

I'm def on tram ctenophore they don't sting and they bioluminesce and are also increasing in significant numbers.

Of course they are predators and eat all the food so there's none left for the other critters.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

bagual posted:

Anyway came here to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie1X5t_7Zto

Tornados in the amazon :rubby:

Doesn't seem that bad yet

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I was like ‘Red and Blue just switch every other year? Ah the red is getting bigger…oh. :stare:

Oops all reds.

Big ol bag of red Starburst.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

garbage fuel is getting to me. like if you recycle it it gets burned if you throw it away it gets burned. I mean

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

I haven't posted in a minute. Just better to check in and make sure everything is still cool and good.

Everything is still cool and good, right?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Homeless Friend posted:

"Plastic production, meanwhile, is projected to double within 20 years."

What is even left that isn't plastic at this point?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
so long suckers! i rev up industrial society and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates humanity is lying completely dead on the pavement

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Homeless Friend posted:

lol

lmao

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
wrap it up
https://twitter.com/AntoniaJuhasz/status/1453743570217807874

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

lol

These spineless, brainless, bloodless creatures :argh:

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

Right from the tobacco industry defense bible. Didn't change a comma.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
That they created the sprawl and incentivized automobile travel etc etc and are now blaming us for being forced to consume their products to stay alive has some real nice "stop hitting yourself" vibes

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Enfys posted:

"Plastic production, meanwhile, is projected to double within 20 years."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gj47G2e1Jc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm in a two hour training session on the US Offshore Wind market this morning and just lemme tell ya: the LMAO's are fast and furious.

Ten years to approve an offshore wind project through the BOEM.