Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

Ff7's remake has got a combat system that's incredibly bad at being an action game, and totally middling as an RPG. It lacks most of the tactical considerations of a turn based while forcing you into an uncomfortable rhythm of active waiting where you constantly have to wait for your poo poo to recharge while doing nearly nothing.

The remake parts of the story are whatever, but the additions are pure trash. Roche is an absolute garbage character that ruins every scene he's in the same zip code of, the extra padding scenes feel totally extraneous, and the time cop nonsense is some sub Evangelion rebuild level of pointless retcon.

And the whole thing is wrapped up in an intensely awkward poorly paced shell of a game where it tries to be action packed but is constantly pumping it's breaks so it doesn't run past the material it's adapting. Anyone new to the series is doing themselves a disservice by playing it, and it offers nothing of worth to the returning player. It is in short a game for no one

I loved FF7R for a lot of it’s presentation and how it handled the (few) classic parts of the story (so far), but I agree with everything you said. I wouldn’t call it a game for no one, though, but that’s just me.

Sadly, I don’t think we’ll ever get a combat system like classic FF7 ever in a production of this scale. I’m also really baffled at how they want to tackle this, or if they actually basically cut 60% of the story to fit it into three parts. They gave themselves the tools to do this, and the Yuffie DLC is an indicator to that.

Then again it might be a good thing for them leaving classic FF7 behind going forward, so both games can stand on their own. I think I still would have preferred a proper remaster of FF7 instead of a remake, but I assume a lot of this is nostalgia talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

FF7R started as an incredible 10/10 game of the year and descended gradually to Shinra Towers 7/10 and please end.
It was too long and I hated the retcon-ghosts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
About every indication is that Squeenix has gotten Extremely Weird about FF7, especially given the way the Smash Bros guest appearances have been treated. Though I do get the vibe the company is just a basket case internally overall.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I need to set up my PS2 and finish Vagrant Story.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Vagrant Story is really good. Squaresoft's MGS1.

About FF7 remake, I agree that basically everything they added varies from superfluous to extremely bad. Roche is a good example - I've seen a lot of people talking about how great he is and that's an indication my taste is completely detached from a lot of the fanbase of this game now. The same with the EDGE OF CREATION ending they added in. I was laughing in disbelief at how, only 1 hour ago, I was having an excellent time doing the highway escape and then witnessing one of the worst endings to anything I've ever seen. Apparently some people liked this? It's horseshit.

They managed to barely expand Midgar at all despite spending 40 hours in it. I expected to at least be able to visit a new sector that wasn't in the original. You saw nothing new, except Jessie's house and street.

I liked the combat system though. It's fun. Also, when they stuck to what was there originally, it wasn't so bad and I got nostalgic kicks out of it so overall I enjoyed the game and will play the next part but I know to expect it to be total bullshit now. They didn't remake ff7 after all.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 28, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
If I was square enix, I would spend millions re-rendering every background in FF7 in incredible detail and then make the camera static, make it 320x240/16bit color via a filter so that the GPU is working full time underneath. And the midi music is recorded in lossless format so that the game comes on 4 blu rays.

And name the character Aerith

Vic fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 28, 2021

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I have extremely strong opinions on videogames, and you're a dumb piece of poo poo for enjoying that specific one u like.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I have extremely strong opinions on videogames, and you're a dumb piece of poo poo for enjoying that specific one u like.

This guy/girl gets it

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Eh, seen stronger

7/10

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This but unironically

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

:hai:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

just to be clear here people are complaining about the new dude who you fight while flipping motorcycles around each other at highway speed? because yeah that character is goofy as hell but the scene was one of the most fun in the game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JollyBoyJohn posted:

FF7 Remake is a brilliantly presented game with a bafflingly awful combat system.

Its also a really really bad ff7 remake. They should have just made the graphics better rather than try to add a bunch of poo poo to the story

Without having played the original I think I agree with this.

It's also got really bad minigames and bad pacing and the 3rd act is horrendous. Or whatever you want to call when you get to the "end" and all of a sudden have to do some unintuitive monkey bars for no reason that a cut scene wouldn't have solved and then fight 3 bosses in a row and then drive a motorcycle for a few minutes and then fight 3 more bosses.

1 boss would have been fine. Maybe 2 at most. 6 was beyond stupid. I went from enjoying the game, to mildly enjoying the game, to hating the game from act to act. And by the time I finished there was no way I was going to get the sequel.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

jokes posted:

EGS is an okay storefront that isn’t any better than GOG’s galaxy or Origin (or really any storefront— I don’t think Epic has achievements either?), it’s a lot less feature rich than steam and frankly I wouldn’t use it unless I’m “forced” to (Final Fantasy) just by its own merits.

Epic Games is a piece of poo poo company run by pieces of poo poo, so I actively avoid supporting it. With exception (because I’m a huge weirdo dork about Final Fantasy and Genshin Impact), I don’t want to use it. Gabe might be a piece of poo poo but at least he’s not overt about it.

The thing that boggles me about EGS is it launched with no shopping cart, and still doesn't have one. :wtc:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its also a really really bad ff7 remake. They should have just made the graphics better rather than try to add a bunch of poo poo to the story

This is more of a you problem of your expectations not lining up with what the game actually is. It's not a worthwhile critique of the game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They called it FF7 remake and then didn't remake FF7.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think its very fair to point out a game titled "remake" is actually a sequel.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Barudak posted:

I think its very fair to point out a game titled "remake" is actually a sequel.

Sure but it's a comment about the discourse of what ff7 is in a broad sense, what is a remake, nostalgia and the expectations of the player, etc. It doesnt really have anything to say about the quality of the game itself

itry
Aug 23, 2019

From what I'm reading the game itself is bad. But please, no spoilers. There is still a 5% chance I will play it sometime in the next 5 years.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

itry posted:

From what I'm reading the game itself is bad.

If you didn't play and fuckin love the original, move on, there's nothing for you.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If you didn't play and fuckin love the original, move on, there's nothing for you.

I did play the original and enjoyed it. Better than 6, 8, 9, 10, 10-2 (only played about 2 hours of that one), or 12. I guess that's not exactly 'loving loved it' though. I'm not a die-hard fan.

Edit: I have no interest in touching the three 13, or 15, or the MMO's. Maybe I'm just done with this series or jRPG's in general.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

itry posted:

Maybe I'm just done with this series or jRPG's in general.

Yeah we're on the same page.

Do NOT check out 15 no matter how cheap it gets, it's brutal lol.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

This is more of a you problem of your expectations not lining up with what the game actually is. It's not a worthwhile critique of the game

Agreed and that's why i stopped playing 6 chapters in because having a grandiose, overblown and overstuffed remake with a bad combat system wasnt what i wanted. I just wanted HD ff7 with voice acting and turn based combat. Oh well. Don't have to look forward to parts 2-6 now

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Yeah we're on the same page.

Do NOT check out 15 no matter how cheap it gets, it's brutal lol.

15 has great presentation and an interesting world but the combat just didn't work and the story was a total afterthought and if you are going to have a 70 hpur rpg it needs good presentation, combat and story

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ff15 is just a plain bad game. Perhaps the worst final fantasy

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Ff15 is just a plain bad game. Perhaps the worst final fantasy

I've only played up to 9 before that, but hard agree.

It's so, so much worse than 8 and that's a hell of a thing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

itry posted:

From what I'm reading the game itself is bad. But please, no spoilers. There is still a 5% chance I will play it sometime in the next 5 years.

It's p good, but I accept it might get bad further in, I'm like halfway through

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The epic store is unique in that it’s slow and clunky but it looks nice.

Ubisoft connect, by comparison, looks like dogshit but at least it’s fast

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I simply don't play games that aint on steam

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JRPG's just suck. it's amazing how much and how little the genre has evolved over the years and does nothing but perpetually suck.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
People who play MOBAS love videogames more than people who don't

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And they hate themselves most of all

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gaius Marius posted:

And they hate themselves most of all

Yeah

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

JRPG's just suck. it's amazing how much and how little the genre has evolved over the years and does nothing but perpetually suck.

This opinion gets expressed so often because people who are about 30+ now were kids when the JRPG was at its peak popularity around the time of FF7. I think a lot of people who didn't actually like JRPGs for what they were played them and didn't realise until they were older that they didn't like them. It's a specific kind of gameplay that you either like or you don't. Also, JRPGs have evolved just as much if not more than any other genre, for better and worse depending on the game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

roomtone posted:

This opinion gets expressed so often because people who are about 30+ now were kids when the JRPG was at its peak popularity around the time of FF7. I think a lot of people who didn't actually like JRPGs for what they were played them and didn't realise until they were older that they didn't like them. It's a specific kind of gameplay that you either like or you don't. Also, JRPGs have evolved just as much if not more than any other genre, for better and worse depending on the game.

There are other reasons why jrpgs potentially suck other than the gameplay. Things that you perhaps grow out of as you get older

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

actually yeah that's fair enough, i don't know why i was thinking purely of gameplay when i was writing that.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Final Fantasy 7 was good. Every other jrpg I've played has just been a worse version of that.

I wouldn't grudge someone being 12 and loving any game but the way some grown adults talk about games like Nier: Automata is pretty cringey

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

veni veni veni posted:

Agree. They were simply the only genre that even attempted to tell an actual story so people looking for that (me included) ate them up.
On a related note, To add my own unpopular opinion to the pile, The PS1’s library has aged terribly compared to the N64’s. And JRPG’s are part of that. Look how many of the “classics” on the PS1 are these grindtastic JRPG’s with the same old gameplay the genre has used since Dragon Quest. And the rest of the “classics” lineup doesn’t fare much better. It’s full of tank controls and terrible fixed camera angles because devs understandably wanted to use pre-rendered backgrounds, which were one of the systems big draws. Now to be sure there are several PS1 classics that have aged well and are still fun to play. But at a much fewer percentage of the library. Pretty much every single N64 classic on the other hand is still a blast to play, and due to a variety of complex factors they generally look better to modern eyes too.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JRPGs are really good if you're 10-17 years old, just let the kids enjoy them. Its like adults who complain about pokemon games being too easy, just let the kids have them.

FF7R is really fun though even if parts of it aren't quite as polished as they could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

roomtone posted:

This is defiantly true. If you are of a certain age the JRPG has this mystique attached to it even if it probably shouldn't have been your thing to begin with.

I have no idea what the genre actually does well though. In general it feels like a genre that tries to do a lot of different things poorly.