Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Dude probably invented some words, but the idea that he invented a LOT of them seems weird, since he was a popular playwright who needed his unwashed masses to understand what the gently caress everyone was saying (and laugh at the jokes)

The counterpoint to this is that we have Shakespeare's contemporaries, Christopher Marlowe, Ben Jonson, Aphra Behn among others, and while they had their own splendid inventions they did not use all the same words. It's an ongoing debate as I understand it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

The Modern Leper posted:

I mean, the man's basically created for creating the prefix "un-".

I tend to believe that "William Shakespeare" is basically Aesop or Mother Goose (that, or he was the face of a whole "shop" like Rembrandt or Hans Zimmer or... Drake), but even if you don't give one person credit for everything, you gotta give that person credit for spotting talent.

No, Shakespeare was an actual person, who has a ton of documentation about his life. He was a witness in a court case, something that would not happen if he was goddamn Mother Goose. This is one of the weirdest versions of anti-Stratfordianism I've ever seen.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Grenrow posted:

No, Shakespeare was an actual person, who has a ton of documentation about his life. He was a witness in a court case, something that would not happen if he was goddamn Mother Goose. This is one of the weirdest versions of anti-Stratfordianism I've ever seen.

People big mad about Shakespeare in the Comic Book Art thread.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Some more great IDW Sonic art:

Sonic the Hedgehog (IDW) Annual 2019
Script/(rough, only loosely adhered to) Layouts: James Kochalka
Pencils/Inks/Additional Lettering: Jon Gray
Colors: Reggie Graham
Letters: Shawn Lee

Sonic the Hedgehog (IDW) Free Comic Book Day 2021
Script: Gale Gallagan
Pencils/Inks: Thomas Rothlisberger
Colors: Nathalie Fourdraine
Letters: Shawn Lee

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
As both an IK of BSS and somebody who frequently teaches Shakespeare seminars I am begging you all to drop this derail before I have two aneurysms at once, unless you have some good or bad comic book panels with Shakespeare in them.

Edit:

quote:

Script/(rough, only loosely adhered to) Layouts: James Kochalka
WHOA, what??

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Looks like standard Marshal Law-era Kevin O’Neill to me.

He's really good at drawing superheroes as grotesque abominations, which works great for Marshall Law. Here, it's just unsettling.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

How Wonderful! posted:

As both an IK of BSS and somebody who frequently teaches Shakespeare seminars I am begging you all to drop this derail before I have two aneurysms at once, unless you have some good or bad comic book panels with Shakespeare in them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

I love those two issues

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

like a lot of comic fans of a certain age, I devoured "The Encyclopedia of Super Heroes" as a kid, and I was always fascinated by some of the weird poo poo that was chosen for inclusion, like Scripture-Man:

"Character-wise, Scripture-Man is underdeveloped."

I cannot find a thing about this magazine or character anywhere on the internet.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

POW! BLAM! FAITH!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Splint Chesthair posted:

He's really good at drawing superheroes as grotesque abominations, which works great for Marshall Law. Here, it's just unsettling.
Yeah, seeing O'Neill draw the actual superheroes he'd spent several years satirising and ridiculing in Marshal Law is... weird.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Something seems off about these proportions. From Batman/Catwoman #8, art by Liam Sharp.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nothing wrong with those proportions. That's an Evangelion, right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh I'm more focused on how awful that spike armor looks

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
just typical comic book 9/10 head tall proportions, not a big fan of the really thin limbs and waist but not exactly unusual either

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Flesh Forge posted:

just typical comic book 9/10 head tall proportions, not a big fan of the really thin limbs and waist but not exactly unusual either

I'd say it looks like Peter Chung stuff but she has pants on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

theironjef posted:

I'd say it looks like Peter Chung stuff but she has pants on.

She has?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Wayne Industries produces very long-lasting latex paint. Takes a lot of work to strip that off.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Something seems off about these proportions. From Batman/Catwoman #8, art by Liam Sharp.

I was going to say I didn't recognise that as Sharp's style at all, but then I saw the raggedy-splatty scribble detail on the cape (or whatever it is) on the right, and remembered his run on ABC Warriors where everything looked like that.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

New Exiles #11 (2008)
Pencils: Paco Diaz Luque
Inks: Norberto Fernandez

Blue Beetle #19 (1943)
Pencils/Inks: unknown

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Blue Beetle #19 (1943)
Sleep paralysis demons

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Snagt" that's the iconic sound that Wolverine's claws make? Right?
Also, it can't be healthy to have veins so big that I could fit my thumb in them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's from an alternate universe, so it's actually clever to have the claws make a similar bit different sound.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Darthemed posted:

Blue Beetle #19 (1943)

It's always weird to me how in older comics almost all of the narration is basically just describing what's in the panel. Kind of defeats the purpose of the medium

"Suddenly, a fire breaks out!" - Image of a building on fire and people running

"A tiger leaps from the shadows of the jungle!" - Drawing of a jumping tiger

"Superman uses his xray vision to find Luthor in his secret lab" - Picture of...

Well, you know.

I wonder at what point comics began to move away from this trope because it used to be like having a movie where a narrator describes exactly what the character is doing on screen. "As he walks down the deserted beach, Tom Hanks spots some FedEx boxes washed up on the shore!" "He opens the first box and finds...some ice skates!"

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Alhazred posted:

"Snagt" that's the iconic sound that Wolverine's claws make? Right?
Also, it can't be healthy to have veins so big that I could fit my thumb in them.

Actually, according to Jubilee...

From The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl vol 2 (2015-2019) issue 3

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

BiggerBoat posted:

It's always weird to me how in older comics almost all of the narration is basically just describing what's in the panel. Kind of defeats the purpose of the medium

"Suddenly, a fire breaks out!" - Image of a building on fire and people running

"A tiger leaps from the shadows of the jungle!" - Drawing of a jumping tiger

"Superman uses his xray vision to find Luthor in his secret lab" - Picture of...

Well, you know.

I wonder at what point comics began to move away from this trope because it used to be like having a movie where a narrator describes exactly what the character is doing on screen. "As he walks down the deserted beach, Tom Hanks spots some FedEx boxes washed up on the shore!" "He opens the first box and finds...some ice skates!"

Like the early early days they probably didn't really know the vernacular of comics, or even what sequences readers could imply from omitted and displayed information. It feels like they took their cues from radio scripts more than early film.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Scaramouche posted:

It feels like they took their cues from radio scripts more than early film.

Just then, Scaramouche makes a post using his SPACE FACE avatar as BiggerBoat reads it.

BiggerBoat is lights a cigarette and begins typing a reply *drawing of me at a typewriter, smoking*

I hadn't thought of that but it makes a ton of sense, especially since so many superheros had radio serials and TV was still in its relatively infancy.

I guess even film, for the most part, hadn't entirely evolved into "show don't tell" and comics, when they did adapt elements of film, were using the storytelling devices of the PSA's that ran in theaters (Sally Goes to the School Dance. Johnny Learns Not to Shoplift), which relied heavily on overt narration, and not learning from Hitchcock, John Ford and Orsen Wells just yet.

It's interesting to think about and I frame it along similar lines to just how little photo reference illustrators had back then that put obvious limitations on the art. I mean, think about the legwork required just to get a picture of a WW2 bomber plane or a tank that helps you draw those things. I like to look at the evolution of comics in ways that put it into proper context (societal, technical, cultural, etc.) and remind myself of the limitations the creators faced.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

From the English translation of Dujon; "Dragon Cemetary"

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I don't always love Andrea Sorrentino's faces, but he's brilliant at layouts and spreads. This is from Batman: The Impostor #2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
is robin kissing batman

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Judge Dredd Megazine Vol. 2 #53
Script: John Wagner
Art: Mike "Mick" McMahon
Letters: Tom Frame

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I kinda love that.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

yeah that owns

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I hated it and still do. I remember classic McMahon Dredd, which was always blocky but you could see the effort. That strip is just a quick sketch. Everything good about it comes from the late Tom Frame, who is for my money the best letterer ever to work in the business. An unsung hero, as letterers always are, but a hero nonetheless.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Some more 90's McMahon

Sonic the Comic #97
Script: Nigel Kitching and Richard Rayner
Letters: Ellie de Ville

Sonic the Comic #118
Script: Lew Stringer
Letters: Gordon Robinson

Sonic the Comic #148
Letters: Tom Frame

Sonic the Comic #163
Letters: Elitta Fell

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

River Beloved posted:

Sonic the Comic #163
Letters: Elitta Fell

The inking on this one is really weird, the pencils obviously mark the highlights on the characters for coloring but they've been inked, and with the same line weight as everything else.

I kinda like it though.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think it works better for some things than it does for others. The golem looks great, but the thick lines around differently coloured areas combined with their saturated colour scheme makes the hedgehogs look like chromed robots.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It makes everyone look like they've been flattened.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I assumed it was a stylistic choice for the ancient Mediterranean type setting. Make everything look carved in a frieze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The latest transformers comic has some pretty decent art at the start of the issue. However, for whatever reason the last pages are pretty bad. I mean some of it made me think of good quality Paint images.

Something falls, something appears

I don't really know. Looks like they're dancing. That winged beast by the way, does it fly off? Is it thrown off? You can't really see from his motion or the motion from the big grey one.