Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
really wish they hadn't taken down the 10 hour version of Theoden screaming DEATH over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It honestly would have been way better if they just named it "Meat" and waited for the dust to settle.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Metameat

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Heathcliff wearing the Meta helmet

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vitameatametamin

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shear Modulus posted:

no it's The Metaverse

Forget it, Jake. It's the Metaverse.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

does this mean my old rear end relatives are all going to be buying vr headsets to use meatbook because that would be awesome

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

80 year old agnes putting down her knitting to practice her alien isolation vr speedrun

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

it's so much worse than the darkest dystopia science fiction.

in dystopian fiction those with means have grand designs on power and influence w/r/t the future of humanity

In reality Zuckerberg barely wanted to be in that video and probably asked "Hey if I show up for the video can I hide a bbq sauce in the background?"

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

uber_stoat posted:

it's so much worse than the darkest dystopia science fiction.

At least blade runner made hell look cool

This poo poo is :shepface:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

MLSM posted:

At least blade runner made hell look cool

This poo poo is :shepface:

I'm having an ok time tbh

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

I don’t know what you’re all complaining about, Carl Sagan made Meatverse sound pretty neat

https://youtu.be/ZP7K9SycELA

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society

Powered Descent posted:

Vitameatametamin

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

camoseven posted:

I'm having an ok time tbh
yeah this is only dystopian with the assumption that facebook will somehow gain relevance after this

it's still the same facebook horizon, still failing

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Meatbook sounds like a pretty good name for a hookup app actually.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Aside from his many crimes, failings and evil deeds the worst thing about Zuckerberg is just that he is the most insufferable loving dork imaginable

edit: a “meta-dork” if you will

smellmycheese has issued a correction as of 07:27 on Oct 29, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Meatbook sounds like a pretty good name for a hookup app actually.

Facebook of Sex?!?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Using my mindlink to e-gently caress on Meta Meat

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

zuckerberg claims prima notca on everyone

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Antonymous posted:

in dystopian fiction those with means have grand designs on power and influence w/r/t the future of humanity

In reality Zuckerberg barely wanted to be in that video and probably asked "Hey if I show up for the video can I hide a bbq sauce in the background?"

This was my initial take too, but it turns out it's not the usual proof of life from the boss, he presented the entire hour plus keynote. The whole loving thing!

If he wanted to make everyone feel like they were entering a new era he succeeded but in a more bodysnatchery way than intended.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

Doppleing my Fingals all over like some stupid anteater

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
cannot wait for my job interview in 2025 to be in a lovely ps home look alike

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Honest Thief posted:

cannot wait for my job interview in 2025 to be in a lovely ps home look alike

You're gonna get judged for your avatar too. There is no right answer to this. If you make a boring human that pretty much looks like you then people will scoff at your lack of creativity. If you make a robot or a cat girl with glowing purple eyes people will scoff at you for being immature and attention seeking.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Tofu?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Meat Market: more than just a slang phrase

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
facebook should purchase tvtropes to really get this meta stuff down :twisted:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

You're gonna get judged for your avatar too. There is no right answer to this. If you make a boring human that pretty much looks like you then people will scoff at your lack of creativity. If you make a robot or a cat girl with glowing purple eyes people will scoff at you for being immature and attention seeking.

complementing my colleague's avi with millennial AAVE because they own a purple shiny shard grinded from working OT

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Honest Thief posted:

complementing my colleague's avi with millennial AAVE because they own a purple shiny shard grinded from working OT

gatcha raises, but you can also win avatar rare hats instead

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Ruffian Price posted:

yeah this is only dystopian with the assumption that facebook will somehow gain relevance after this

it's still the same facebook horizon, still failing

it's going to own when this inevitably drives off all their "too old to learn a new internet" users and doesn't acquire any new ones

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

zuckerberg claims prima notca on everyone

Myspace Tom wondering why nobody went for it when he tried this

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

endlessmonotony posted:

Pyramids are next, right?

Well, it's a solution to JIT at least?

There is no solution to JIT because the losses made now by shortages will be covered by the rising prices.
Like prices are high now because there's no availability but they're not going back down once there is. Now that the market proved you could have a higher price point.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

it's going to own when this inevitably drives off all their "too old to learn a new internet" users and doesn't acquire any new ones

facebook knows it will only last as long as the boomers

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Snapchat Is Fuelling Britain's Teen Murder Epidemic

Kill social media before it kills you

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Eh, looks like it's more documenting the culture that arises in every underclass.

quote:

So much for the golden future, I can't even start
I've had every promise broken, there's anger in my heart
You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue
If you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing
You doing to me now

Breaking the law, breaking the law

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Facebook Aunt posted:

But after a while people will get tired of doing the avatar judging themselves and they'll write a highly-sophisticated machine learning algorithm* to do it for them.

* The algorithm will consist of a few hundred lines of python and will serve only to reinforce all of the programmer's own biases. Bugs and exploits in the lovely code (e.g. if your avatar is exactly 1023 pixels tall, an off-by-one bug means it always gets a top score on "cultural fit") will be regularly found and occasionally even patched. None of this will shake the faith of anyone using the algorithm, because it's an algorithm which means it can only produce objective, quantitative truth.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i feel like children killing children has been a thing popping up semi-regularly in the UK for a good while, like 30+ years

idk if thats confirmation bias, maybe i just dont hear about other countries doing it?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Carthag Tuek posted:

i feel like children killing children has been a thing popping up semi-regularly in the UK for a good while, like 30+ years

idk if thats confirmation bias, maybe i just dont hear about other countries doing it?

It happens rarely all over Europe. Been a bunch of talk about it during quarantine as mental health services are extremely overcrowded.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Carthag Tuek posted:

the US has a storied tradition of child murder being perpetrated by children yes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Laterite posted:

Doppleing my Fingals all over like some stupid anteater

mom my nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

the US has a storied tradition of child murder being perpetrated by children yes.

"nothing could have been done to prevent this" etc