Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

It's another Final Fortune for Sundial decks. Can't put it on a stick though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

This person seems to have forgotten that alrunds is cheaper and less of a liability then this

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I mean i guess theres niche cases where you can win the game next turn that you wouldnt be able to win if your opponent gets a move but you have to set that up and alrunds has its own setup in it text box

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm trying to think, is there anything brackets can do that isn't already done by kicker/split?

As the only mechanics that exist are those and creature abilities, no.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mandatory lesbian posted:

This person seems to have forgotten that alrunds is cheaper and less of a liability then this

Looks like Sperling was correct after all!

I mean i guess theres niche cases where you can win the game next turn that you wouldnt be able to win if your opponent gets a move but you have to set that up and alrunds has its own setup in it text box

There's been a lot of times that being able to activate the 7/7 land and take a another turn is enough to be lethal, and only costing 3 helps a lot in that situation.

It's possible that this sees play as a 5th+ copy of Alrund's, and it'd be absolutely hilarious (though unlikely) that if Alrund's gets banned this just takes its slot.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Well, the safest bet in the entire world is that there will be a Murder equivalent with Cleave. The non-cleave version will have targeting restrictions, and the Cleaved version won’t.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Printing Final Fortune and Stifle in the same set seems a little loose to me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Looks like Sperling was correct after all!

There's been a lot of times that being able to activate the 7/7 land and take a another turn is enough to be lethal, and only costing 3 helps a lot in that situation.

It's possible that this sees play as a 5th+ copy of Alrund's, and it'd be absolutely hilarious (though unlikely) that if Alrund's gets banned this just takes its slot.

Idk it just seems so not worth it lol, but tbf i dont think alrunds is getting banned. If it does then yeah sure go for this

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Also tbh i have no clue what the sperling comment is about, i dont pay attention to him so i only know him as the guy who whined about a streamer in his baby announcement post

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Also tbh i have no clue what the sperling comment is about, i dont pay attention to him so i only know him as the guy who whined about a streamer in his baby announcement post

the streamer he whined about is the one doing the card reveal

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Magic Underwear posted:

That card [sucks]. Frankly I don't like cleave as a concept at all, it's too transparently kicker. I assume they'll at least have some where cleave is an alternate cost that distinguishes it from the base cost. But then that's pretty similar to split cards but more boring.

I'm trying to think, is there anything brackets can do that isn't already done by kicker/split? And those mechanics can do a lot more than removing words. I guess you can fit more rules text because you don't have to out write the rules for both modes.

I don't think it's bad at all. Especially in a world with Lier decks running around.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kild posted:

the streamer he whined about is the one doing the card reveal

Oh lmao

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

If you make a copy of a spell cast with cleave, is the copy cleaved?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Devor posted:

no, copies of objects have the printed characteristics of the object. cleave only removes text if you paid the cleave cost for the spell, which if you copied it, you didn't

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

-I'm stupid.-

Future Sighting 2U
Sorcery
Choose target player and up to four target cards in their graveyard. That player shuffles those cards into their library. Look at the top four cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

Soulcodeplate 1U
Artifact - Uncommon
~ ETBs with three Omen counters.
1U, Tap: Look at the top two cards of your library. Put one of them into your graveyard.

Whenever a creature card is put into your graveyard, remove one Omen counter from ~. Transform if there are no Omen counters on it.

[Back Side]
Codebound Geist
Creature - Spirit
Flying
Can only block creatures with flying.
3U: Draw two cards, discard a card.
3/2

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 29, 2021

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

no, copies of objects have the printed characteristics of the object. cleave only removes text if you paid the cleave cost for the spell, which if you copied it, you didn't

I'm about 90% certain this is incorrect.

Copying a kicked spell gives you a copy with the kick clause, I don't see why this would be different.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lone Goat posted:

I'm about 90% certain this is incorrect.

Copying a kicked spell gives you a copy with the kick clause, I don't see why this would be different.

you're right about kicker, so it's possible cleave doesn't work this way. i was thinking about it in terms of layers, where copy effects are upstream of text-changing effects, but that's continuous effects only. so who knows.

e: yeah, you're right. "A copy of a spell or ability copies both the characteristics of the spell or ability and all decisions made for it, including modes, targets, the value of X, and additional or alternative costs." i let my l2 lapse years ago, so apparently i've forgotten it all

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Really don't think that cleave Final Fortune is going to be a problem in standard, but all the same I wish they'd just stop loving printing extra turn cards.

I know set design goes well into the future so even if WotC did decide to storm scale "take an extra turn" it would be a year at least before we saw our last one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I've never felt playing the turns deck that i wanted a 5th or 6th Alrund's Epiphany.... Once you start to go off, you can typically find it very easily.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

TipTow posted:

Really don't think that cleave Final Fortune is going to be a problem in standard, but all the same I wish they'd just stop loving printing extra turn cards.

I know set design goes well into the future so even if WotC did decide to storm scale "take an extra turn" it would be a year at least before we saw our last one.

Time Warp with set mechanic is the new Shock with set mechanic.

What was the last Shock with set mechanic anyway? Wild Slash? I'm defining a Shock as R for 2 damage that can go face.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TipTow posted:

Same

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

What was the last Shock with set mechanic anyway? Wild Slash? I'm defining a Shock as R for 2 damage that can go face.

I think so. There's actually not that many different shocks

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid...%7BR%7D+cmc%3D1

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think I read once that their internal customer satisfaction stuff shows that Time Walks are by far the most popular card in every set they do them among the broader MTG community.

It's like, Angels, Dragons, and Extra Turns.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Devor posted:

Yes.

quote:

707.10. To copy a spell, activated ability, or triggered ability means to put a copy of it onto the stack; a copy of a spell isn’t cast and a copy of an activated ability isn’t activated. A copy of a spell or ability copies both the characteristics of the spell or ability and all decisions made for it, including modes, targets, the value of X, and additional or alternative costs. (See rule 601, “Casting Spells.”) Choices that are normally made on resolution are not copied. If an effect of the copy refers to objects used to pay its costs, it uses the objects used to pay the costs of the original spell or ability. A copy of a spell is owned by the player under whose control it was put on the stack. A copy of a spell or ability is controlled by the player under whose control it was put on the stack. A copy of a spell is itself a spell, even though it has no spell card associated with it. A copy of an ability is itself an ability.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lone Goat posted:

You're playing with pedantic fire here. (Spikefield Hazard? Surely there was one since Skewer the Critics?)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lone Goat posted:

I mean theres also always Lightning Bolts with set mechanic drawback possible (like last set)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

It seems like you could make an argument for it being different. With Kicker, each card has an ability that says "If ~ was kicked".

With Cleave, it's telling you to remove card text, it's not explicitly an ability that gets checked. The ability that removes the card text in brackets is also explicitly tied to *casting* it with cleave, rather than asking if its cleave cost was paid.

So if the copied spell forgets that the text in brackets was removed, I'm not sure if there's a rule that would cause the copy to look again to see if the text should be removed.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think so. There's actually not that many different shocks

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid...%7BR%7D+cmc%3D1

"The reprinting of Lightning Bolt in M10 and M11 sent literal 'Shock-waves' through a transitional era of Magic design, not only shifting the meta but shifting our expectations of what one colored mana should be allowed to do. The fallout of the Modern Bolt Era not only affected the design of cards in its immediate surroundings, but also started MTG development down a path it still reckons with to this day.

"My name is _boltinhistoric420_ and this the TED Radio Hour."

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Devor posted:

It seems like you could make an argument for it being different. With Kicker, each card has an ability that says "If ~ was kicked".

With Cleave, it's telling you to remove card text, it's not explicitly an ability that gets checked. The ability that removes the card text in brackets is also explicitly tied to *casting* it with cleave, rather than asking if its cleave cost was paid.

So if the copied spell forgets that the text in brackets was removed, I'm not sure if there's a rule that would cause the copy to look again to see if the text should be removed.

If you cast it with cleave, the text box becomes whatever the text box is without the brackets. Those brackets aren't "still there" because they're printed on the card; you act like they don't exist. So you are copying the spell with the brackets removed, because that is what is on the stack.

edit- I assume, of course, there's no official rules out yet I don't think.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Devor posted:

Under this line of thinking if cleave removes the text from the spell and isn't copied, then what is being copied wouldn't have the bracketed text so the copy would still be, effectively, cleaved.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lone Goat posted:

Play with Fire is Shock+, and if you squint a bit then the bonus when you go face has mechanical connections to the vampire mechanics in that set.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Time warp effects are fine when they are A) sorcery speed and B) don’t directly effect the board state.

And even then you could probably still balance them with dialing the mana value up.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

whydirt posted:

Time warp effects are fine when they are A) sorcery speed and B) don’t directly effect the board state.

And even then you could probably still balance them with dialing the mana value up.

Don't forget C) can't be nestled safely away from duress/check for traps/etc.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Welp, looks like I'm stuck at Diamond rank in Standard matches for this period of games.

Time to see how the random decks I've gained just playing free games and messing around fare.

EDIT:

loving around with building a deck aimed at making opponents discard/mill as often as possible and/or make them keep casting creature spells repeatedly (and limiting to one color because it seems like Blue has the most of these kinds of cards). I know I'm an amateur at this but I'm bored.

Does Sideboard come into play at all during standard matches or is that a specific type of game consideration?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 29, 2021

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

"X ability could be kicker or split cards" is a tired complaint, abilities are more then gameplay, flavor counts too

That being said cleave kinda sucks on that front lol

yeah cleave seems like a combination of boring, clunky, and completely flavorless

its a harder to cast alrunds that doesnt make birds. in exchange you get a basically worthless alternate mode. its garbo

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

babypolis posted:

yeah cleave seems like a combination of boring, clunky, and completely flavorless

Yeah it has a bad name and feels out of place for Innistrad.

Like if they called it REDACT and had it be a Dimir card, or on Kaladesh, or the setting that Conspiracy is on, it'd be a much better fit.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Does Sideboard come into play at all during standard matches or is that a specific type of game consideration?

For best of 1? Cards that care about "outside the game" (lesson/learn, Wish, Legion Angel, etc) pull cards from your sideboard but otherwise no.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Has there ever been a red aggro deck that wanted a time warp effect like that to just give themselves an extra combat phase/opportunity to cast burn to finish off opponents or is that just way too niche?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mike N Eich posted:

Has there ever been a red aggro deck that wanted a time warp effect like that to just give themselves an extra combat phase/opportunity to cast burn to finish off opponents or is that just way too niche?

I only know of combo decks that back in the day tried to shoehorn it in, was a terrible idea obv