Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That dragon is a definite limited bomb and also seems really good in standard

Typically cards that do nothing on their own and require you to untap are generally pretty bad in standard. Like yeah, obviously the card is really powerful if you untap with a full grip of spells, but thats a big if and there are better ways to spend 4 mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

That hellkite is aggro as gently caress.

No haste

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Typically cards that do nothing on their own and require you to untap are generally pretty bad in standard. Like yeah, obviously the card is really powerful if you untap with a full grip of spells, but thats a big if and there are better ways to spend 4 mana.

is something like swinging for 13 damage turn 5 bad in standard? if you get a pump spell turn 5, pump hellkite for +4, create a 5/5 token

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Damnnnnnnnn

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Moonveil Regent doesn't do anything if its killed the turn its played other than perhaps ping an opponent or kill a small creature and it still finds plenty of play

That board wipe is super flexible, wow

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

The fairest card I'm going to lose to the most.

The funniest thing about it is if it gets to ten counters, it was probably winning the game already

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mandatory lesbian posted:

The funniest thing about it is if it gets to ten counters, it was probably winning the game already

Also that it's Indestructible and not like, Hexproof. Can still get exiled, bounced, like c'mon.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

:popeye:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I wonder if cleave would read better if it went the opposite direction (add the bracketed text instead of remove)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Voice of the Blessed

Creature - Spirit Cleric

Whenever you gain life, put a +1/+1 counter on Voice of the Blessed.

As long as Voice of the Blessed has four or more +1/+1 counters, it gains flying and vigilance.

As long as Voice of the Blessed has ten or more +1/+1 counters, it gains indestructible.

Dargon super strong.

Isnt there (theros?) commander card thats similar to that spirit, I think it gains counters different way, but the gain flying and then indestructible mechanic is almost the same.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

It doesn't really seem that good to me. Not a ton of impact if it comes down turn 3, probably has to be played in mono-red, the second +1 does nothing if your top card is a land (although it is good to lands off the top of your deck if you're playing aggressive red burn). I may be underrating it but it just seems a bit blah.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I don't think this is great. There is a big difference between 2 and 3 CMC.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mcmagic posted:

It beats up all the tokens in monog (Chariot cats, Ranger wolf, Wrenn friend, Troll copy) though I doubt that's enough to matter since all those cards are generating value on their own anyway.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Bugsy posted:

Dargon super strong.

Isnt there (theros?) commander card thats similar to that spirit, I think it gains counters different way, but the gain flying and then indestructible mechanic is almost the same.

Found it, it was Kaldhiem not theros commander decks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm a huge fan of Cleave if only because it enabled this joke.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/AfterTtv/status/1454144219816341509

My Spanish is very rusty but this is what I think it says

Concealed Curtain(?)

Creature - Wall 0/4

Defender

2B: Transform. Activate only as a sorcery

Revealing Eye(?)

Creature - Eye Horror 3/4

Menace

When this creature transforms into Revealing Eye, target opponent reveals their hand. Choose a nonland card. If you do, that player discards that card and draws a card.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Ashmouth Dragon and Benevolent Geist remain 2 cmc, at least!

But not hitting Old-Growth Troll and Elite Spellbinder is the Big Problem, yeah.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Concealed Curtain(?)

Creature - Wall 0/4

Defender

Revealing Eye(?)

Menace

When this creature transforms into Revealing Eye, target opponent reveals their hand. Choose a nonland card. If you do, that player discards that card and draws a card.

Vendillion Clique at home.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Alchemist's Gambit is gonna end up fixing the time walk meta by allowing some sort of mono-red/Izzet deck to T3/4 kill you

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dias posted:

Alchemist's Gambit is gonna end up fixing the time walk meta by allowing some sort of mono-red/Izzet deck to T3/4 kill you

I think that'd require the card to be good.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm a huge fan of Cleave if only because it enabled this joke.

It's a good joke.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think that'd require the card to be good.

You saying it won't be guarantees it's gonna be banned week one

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
It might make sideboard tech vs test of talents at least.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Uhhh that red dragon doesn't seem all that good. It does some extra damage, dependent on both untapping with it (or having a bunch of extra mana) and satisfying the condition of having non-creature spells to cast afterwards. It does not create any lasting, compounding advantage, unlike Moonveil Regent.

There could be some ramp/mana generation combo kill that it creates, but I don't think it finds an easy home in the dragons, timewalk, or aggro decks.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Uhhh that red dragon doesn't seem all that good. It does some extra damage, dependent on both untapping with it (or having a bunch of extra mana) and satisfying the condition of having non-creature spells to cast afterwards. It does not create any lasting, compounding advantage, unlike Moonveil Regent.

There could be some ramp/mana generation combo kill that it creates, but I don't think it finds an easy home in the dragons, timewalk, or aggro decks.

It could be a finisher for Turns decks but I don't know if they need it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

Final Fortune sees some play in CEDH, but has that kind of effect been playable anywhere else? We've seen a few extra turn, lose after spells in Standard over the years and I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually cast them.

Final Fortune sees some play in cEDH as a 2 mana instant speed extra turn. Last Chance sometimes gets played too but it's way worse because sorcery speed. This is unplayably bad imo, because if you just want a quick extra turn, you'd play Final Fortune (which can also be grabbed with Spellseeker in 1-card Spellseeker lines), but in an Izzet deck you'd probably just play the regular 5-mana warps.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dias posted:

You saying it won't be guarantees it's gonna be banned week one

It costs 3 for a near-useless clause that only matters if the opponent has Valkmira, and for 7 you just get a normal extra turn when Alrund's already exists. By exiling itself it can't be flashed back, not that it matters because you can't flashback and cleave at the same time. Alone it doesn't do anything but what the opponent wants (you losing). Final Fortune effects are by and large more interesting than good, except for Obeka commander decks.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Concealed Curtain(?)

Creature - Wall 0/4

Defender

Revealing Eye(?)

Menace

Yessssssss more Castlevania references

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Dias posted:

It could be a finisher for Turns decks but I don't know if they need it.

The creatureless Turns deck is not going to run a 4 drop creature that only does damage.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What was the last 4CMC+ creature that was playable in Standard that didn’t generate some amount of value ETB/was hard to remove/had haste?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

gargaroth

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

it really sucks that they aren't streaming the SCG this weekend.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Anybody else having stability issues where the client just locks up and stops responding (but keeps playing sounds from the other player making plays/the countdown timer waiting on you to make a move)?

When it happens on the phone I just kill the app and restart it and it drops me back in the app before 1 countdown timer expires, but on PC it can take forever to get back into a match.

Seems to semi-randomly happen any time a series of stacked effects go off (like multiple "gain 1 life" and "put +1/+1 on this creature every time you gain life" effects going off, or multiple landfalls).

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Excellent point.

mcmagic posted:

it really sucks that they aren't streaming the SCG this weekend.

Ya I agree, have they said why?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Doom whisperer was also not instant value.

Kenrith also technically didn't have instant value/haste but lol Fires.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

BioThermo posted:

Doom whisperer was also not instant value.

Kenrith also technically didn't have instant value/haste but lol Fires.

Doom Whisperer is a good example, but you could technically sandbag it until you had enough mana to surveil. Near the end of its life (and all its life in HIstoric afaik) it was mostly just an un-gustable threat, which is also technically immediate value.

Like you said, Kenrith quite literally did have instant value in that deck because he came in and gave all your poo poo haste/trample. If he had to untap to do it it wouldn't have been playable I think.

If we take out creatures with activated abilities, is the list just Gargaroth? Maybe that Baneslayer knock-off in Dominaria standard as a SB card occasionally?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

doom whisperer had you pay life to surveil, it's instant value

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

resistentialism posted:

doom whisperer had you pay life to surveil, it's instant value

Oh, I misremembered. Even better then.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

fadam posted:

What was the last 4CMC+ creature that was playable in Standard that didn’t generate some amount of value ETB/was hard to remove/had haste?

Technically, Moonveil Regent. It does have a death trigger that sometimes does something, though. And like Gargaroth, it's fast compounding advantage.