Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
They're WTB i23s and ya they'll tubeless up real nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Wheels are already taped, tires are tubeless ready, and the bike comes with valves (you usually have to ask for the valves). So the procedure is: remove tubes, put in valves, put in sealant, fill with air.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Cool I look forward to never changing a frickin tube again. Although it isn’t that bad haha

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

A MIRACLE posted:

Cool I look forward to never changing a frickin tube again. Although it isn’t that bad haha

well, until you get a gash in the tire too big for sealant to seal and then you gotta take the bead off one side of the tire, take the valve stem out, put a boot in the tire to cover the gash, then put in a tube and put it all back together and air it up
while covered in sealant

(that honestly doesn't happen very often for most people though)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Best part of still having to put in a tube in a tubeless tire is having your hands smell like a dome the rest of the day.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The only time I've seen a tubeless tire pop was during a group ride and my first thought was "oh god they hit a mouse and that was a cloud of blood mist".

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Vando posted:

There's also a solid chance in 5 years time the choice will be tubeless or nothing, and that niche wheel sizes fall by the wayside as part of that. It's not an entirely trivial concern to highlight.

Lol. Not a chance.

I’d agree that 26” wheels is a terrible idea though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Posters should indicate which number bike they're talking about when asking questions.
For LLH, it's gotta be 3 or 4, so we can talk all the trash we want.
But for a first bike, sure, we should be painstakingly earnest.

3 or 4 bikes? That’s so many! You can’t ride them all the time. It’s a bike!

This will be 9

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Here it is. Rode it to the bar

hell yeh

Levitate posted:

And tubes wouldn't help you then either.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Like so many hobbies with frequently advancing tech, a glut of shiny things, and an overemphasis on style, acquiring the newest and best poo poo becomes the hobby. If you’re not getting the newest and best poo poo, you’re Doing It Wrong.
Trying to future proof a big purchase is a good thing to do, I'm sorry so many people feel like this is up for debate.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 29, 2021

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Levitate posted:

well, until you get a gash in the tire too big for sealant to seal and then you gotta take the bead off one side of the tire, take the valve stem out, put a boot in the tire to cover the gash, then put in a tube and put it all back together and air it up
while covered in sealant

And of course if that unlikely event does happen you gotta come back to the thread frothing at the mouth about how worthless tubeless setups are while completely ignoring how that kind of gash would have wrecked a tubed setup in exactly the same way. It's tradition, after all.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cycling is just a normal form of urban transport, a perfectly sensible way of getting to work, no need to dress up in special...

...ah, right. Dammit.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

kimbo305 posted:

Posters should indicate which number bike they're talking about when asking questions.

But for a first bike, sure, we should be painstakingly earnest.
:hmmyes:

Levitate posted:

while covered in sealant

I remember back in the day Bicycling magazine would have these little listicles of quick hacks to fix a tube without a replacement or patch kit. The ones that stuck in my mind are 1.) pack the entire inside of the tire with moss, 2.) wrap a dollar bill around the punctured part of the tube, 3.) duct tape, and 4.) cut the tube across the puncture and tie the ends together. After a few of those I just made sure to always have spare tubes. Surely someone out there still believes that those are good reasons for tube supremacy though.

evil_bunnY posted:

Trying to future proof a big purchase is a good thing to do, I'm sorry so many people feel like this is up for debate.
Nobody's arguing that. Just that the urgency to only get bikes with new tech is overemphasized.

I heard 20 years ago that threaded headsets were about to be gone forever. Ten years ago, mechanical discs were supposed to become a thing of the past any day now and SPD pedals were on their way out. Yet none of that happened and all those things can be found and serviced. Tubes aren't going anywhere either. Yeah, there will be fewer of all those things but as long as there are people accessing the hobby on the budget and used end of things, there will be 26" tubed wheels. The premium options for all those things will move on to the newer tech, like 29ers, through axle, hydraulic discs, tubeless, etc., so getting new bikes with those options makes it easier to access a wider variety of components and consumable parts. Anecdote=/=data but my primary bikes are a 1998 26" ss mountain bike and a 1988 touring bike. I've always been able to find wheels, tires, tubes, brakes, etc at my lbs, and a lot of people here seem to have no trouble keeping old bikes alive and cool. When I do get my next bike, it'll have tubeless and the best disc brakes I can afford, but I don't expect it'll mean the death of my other bikes.

Similarly, I just read an article from Cycle Magazine from 1982. The author said that before long, single cylinder engines would be replaced by v-twins, and V6 would be a common motorcycle engine. He also seemed to think that any day now Harley was going to start producing a W3 though.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 29, 2021

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I'm looking for a hard tail mountain bike with top of the line components, and a high end carbon fiber or titanium frame. It seems every carbon frame I see is full suspension. I will be using this bike to convert it to an ebike.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

School of How posted:

I'm looking for a hard tail mountain bike with top of the line components, and a high end carbon fiber or titanium frame. It seems every carbon frame I see is full suspension. I will be using this bike to convert it to an ebike.

https://yeticycles.com/bikes/arc

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

School of How posted:

Just buy an eBike. Rebuilding the back wheel and strapping on a big battery somewhere (not sure you can do that anywhere on a carbon frame) will give you a far worse solution than an integrated frame designed to be an eBike and powered via the bottom bracket.

It’ll be heavy as poo poo no matter what it’s made of.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

wooger posted:

Just buy an eBike. Rebuilding the back wheel and strapping on a big battery somewhere (not sure you can do that anywhere on a carbon frame) will give you a far worse solution than an integrated frame designed to be an eBike and powered via the bottom bracket.

I've through about buying an already made ebike, but I think the best option is to get a regular bike and then having it converted. There is a bunch of reasons why this method would bet better for me. There's a youtube channel called "Johnny Nerd Out" which is focused on ebike conversion, and that channel has convinced me to go the conversion route. Mainly the reason is because I ride every single day, and eventually I'm going to need to replace the battery, motor or both. If I get an already made ebike, the integrated battery/motor may become discontinued at some point and then may not be available anymore. But a conversion style battery/motor replacement solution should always be available.

Also, you aren't going to find a hard tail carbon fiber ebike. Two of those three can be found, but not all three.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

School of How posted:

I've through about buying an already made ebike, but I think the best option is to get a regular bike and then having it converted. There is a bunch of reasons why this method would bet better for me. There's a youtube channel called "Johnny Nerd Out" which is focused on ebike conversion, and that channel has convinced me to go the conversion route. Mainly the reason is because I ride every single day, and eventually I'm going to need to replace the battery, motor or both. If I get an already made ebike, the integrated battery/motor may become discontinued at some point and then may not be available anymore. But a conversion style battery/motor replacement solution should always be available.

Also, you aren't going to find a hard tail carbon fiber ebike. Two of those three can be found, but not all three.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/xtc-advanced-sl-29-0
Full XTR

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just learned yesterday that Newsom vetoed the CA “bikes get to treat stops as yields when no cars are present” bill last month.

It made me sad.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I request, nay, demand that this conversion be done.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Alternatively, convert one of these with an unrestricted 5000 watt motor.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

School of How posted:

I’m curious where are you riding everyday that you need a top of the line hard tail that is also an ebike. Why not get an ebike with an external battery made by one of shimano/Bosch. I’m sure you’ll be able to get batteries for years from them. I think you can get battery packs rebuilt now as well.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

School of How posted:

If you're so concerned about long term durability and the ability to fix things if they break, why is CF a must have? You'll save a couple lbs on a 40+ lbs bike where as welding a cracked aluminum frame is as reasonable as replacing parts of a bafeng motor because it died. I'm gonna guess you will see more failures with a chinese conversion kit over the years than a bose/brose/shimano middrive unit and a real e-bike will have an actual warranty that results in a replaced part if it fails. Why do you want a top of the line bike to slap a bottom of the line conversion kit on? Do you need a 18lbs xtr carbon wheeled bike to put a lovely heavy poorly run conversion mid-drive on it?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The correct answer to the use case is to just buy an Orbea Wild or something similar, which is neither carbon nor not an integrated ebike but honestly unless you live for the tinkerer lifestyle it will be so much simpler and the parts are pretty much standardised at this point. You do not need a carbon frame on an ebike because if you care about weight you're not buying an ebike in the first place.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Let OP build.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

If you're building it yourself why not just build the frame, too? Then you can tailor it perfectly to your needs.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you’re not going to build the battery pack from a bunch of cells you picked up off dodgy AE resellers I’m not really interested

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Just get a titanium hard tail frame from aliexpress.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CARBONDA pleaaaaase

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

If you're so concerned about long term durability and the ability to fix things if they break, why is CF a must have? You'll save a couple lbs on a 40+ lbs bike where as welding a cracked aluminum frame is as reasonable as replacing parts of a bafeng motor because it died. I'm gonna guess you will see more failures with a chinese conversion kit over the years than a bose/brose/shimano middrive unit and a real e-bike will have an actual warranty that results in a replaced part if it fails. Why do you want a top of the line bike to slap a bottom of the line conversion kit on? Do you need a 18lbs xtr carbon wheeled bike to put a lovely heavy poorly run conversion mid-drive on it?

Bafang motors are excellent.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
How often do you ride? How far? What conditions? Will the bike be used for commuting? Trails? If trails, what kind?

The reasons there isn’t a carbon hardtail ebike are because 1) there’s no market for that, and 2) there’s no use case for such a thing. There are carbon full suspension ebikes, but there’s a market for those, however ridiculous. The weight gains of carbon are irrelevant on an ebike, especially for commuting, and the people who buy the fanciest carbon e-mountain bikes are just going to get full suspension anyway. If you’re going to be commuting, a high end hardtail would be a waste anyway. No provisions for racks or storage - high end carbon and ti hardtails are built to be light and go fast.

It’s exactly because of how much you say you’re riding that I would get an integrated or external battery purpose built bike from a real manufacturer. You’ll have a warranty and components that can stand up to heavy use on a higher torque and weight bike. You’ll get things like higher quality integrated displays and lights. If it’s a money issue, I get that, but everything you posted makes me believe you’ll be significantly better off with something actually meant to do the thing you aim to do. And if you’re looking at top end carbon or ti hardtails, you can afford a good ebike from a reputable company. All of the major manufacturers will support batteries and motors for years down the line. If the motor goes, they’re modular to some degree, and I’m certain manufacturers are hanging on to warranty replacements (even now) if the need arises.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 29, 2021

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
better than shimano?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you're absolutely wedded to the idea of the DIY conversion then yeah next best plan is to just get an alu hardtail and go from there, because again: it's an ebike, you solve weight issues with power not exotic materials.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

:hmmyes:

Nobody's arguing that. Just that the urgency to only get bikes with new tech is overemphasized.

I can still get 26" british tires for my old Raleigh. Like, it's not as easy as it once was, but it's certainly not impossible or particularly expensive. My older Schwinn with the Schwinn-specific 26" meanwhile is a bit harder. Again, not impossible, but you kinda fall into "find that one guy who makes them" territory there. But the bike is from 1965, so I had plenty of time to prepare if it was somehow my only bike for the last 60+ years.

Also, are people who carry extra tubes just worried about massive gashes? What's wrong with a patch kit?

I realize this makes me sound like I walked out of a time portal.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

wooger posted:

You can do conversions with a BB motor and battery packs that mount to bottle cage mounts

that said yeah really no reason to try to get the top tier carbon version of a frame to do it because you're ultimately not really gaining anything from the carbon frame in that scenario

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

George RR Fartin posted:

Also, are people who carry extra tubes just worried about massive gashes? What's wrong with a patch kit?

Patching a tube mid ride sounds like an annoying pain in the rear end and it's easier and faster and more reliable to swap tubes

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Can somebody please do an e-bike conversion to a tallbike or penny farthing? I promise to be supportive.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

BeastPussy posted:

Can somebody please do an e-bike conversion to a tallbike or penny farthing? I promise to be supportive.

A Penny Farthing is only allowed to be converted to an s-bike. The s is for steam.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

School of How posted:

why a hardtail though

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dren posted:

why a hardtail though

reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

gently caress the haters. Spend thousands on your amazing hack job and post pics, videos, and bill of materials with prices.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours:

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 29, 2021