Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Yeah there's one of those in Gloucester which was for sale for ages, now it's a holiday let.

UKMT project, when everything goes tits up we can just be pirates.

Who needs piracy when you have a lightship? Setting false lights and intentionally grounding ships on the Lizard was the main driver of the Cornish economy between the end of the Greek tin trade and the invention of the steam engine - I'm sure we could get a couple of juicy container ships heading for Rotterdam to ground themselves in the Channel and take our time picking what we want, no cutlasses needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Houseboats also normally need to pay annual mooring fees, don't they?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
So I forgot to pay congestion charge when I drove my daughter to evelina children's hospital back in February, and have just now received a letter from bailiffs (Marstons recovery) saying I need to pay them £323. This is literally the first time I've been contacted about this.

I'm pretty sure I'm hosed and will just have to pay them, but if any goons have some advice, I'd be delighted. Also goons tend to operate outside the hours of Monday - Friday 9 til 5, unlike Citizens Advice.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Houseboats also normally need to pay annual mooring fees, don't they?

Mooring fees in London are surprisingly modest - Wapping Stairs is about £4k a year excluding electricity and sewage costs, and even Chelsea Harbour can be as little as £10k. Obviously these aren't *small* amounts but in areas where service charges can be easily double that it's not actually that mad.

Now the actual maintenance costs on your boat are a very different matter, and can be truly eye-watering. Anyone complaining about the cost of fixing a roof should look up how much dry-docking a houseboat costs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

So I forgot to pay congestion charge when I drove my daughter to evelina children's hospital back in February, and have just now received a letter from bailiffs (Marstons recovery) saying I need to pay them £323. This is literally the first time I've been contacted about this.

I'm pretty sure I'm hosed and will just have to pay them, but if any goons have some advice, I'd be delighted. Also goons tend to operate outside the hours of Monday - Friday 9 til 5, unlike Citizens Advice.

Check the Money Savings Expert site and forums, they generally have excellent advice and pro forma responses available.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

it should go Penalty Charge Notice - Charge Certificate - Recovery Order - Bailiffs Warrant. Its odd that the recovery agency got through at your home address but not the TFL enforcement at any of the earlier stages. Is your car registered to another address maybe?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Mooring fees in London are surprisingly modest - Wapping Stairs is about £4k a year excluding electricity and sewage costs, and even Chelsea Harbour can be as little as £10k. Obviously these aren't *small* amounts but in areas where service charges can be easily double that it's not actually that mad.

Continuous cruising licenses are the way to go. It can be a bit of a hassle constantly moving, but there are people who live and work in London who do this. You can get a CanalPost address for letters and parcels. There are stations you can take your rubbish, empty your porta potties and fill up with water that are provided as part of your CRT license.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The Perfect Element posted:

Go and make a thread over at http://forums.pepipoo.com. If there’s a way out they will find it for you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

It Is A Bad Forum

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

excluding electricity and sewage costs
Can't you just poo poo over the side now? Passing the ship's rail as it were.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

fuctifino posted:

CRT license

Coxswain & Rowlocks Torture? :ohdear:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobstar posted:

Coxswain & Rowlocks Torture? :ohdear:

Cathode Ray Tube, he means a TV licence

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1454129591350607875

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

she's dying
got rona
both
shedding her skin
all of above?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Interesting point. Anywhere on the canal network (including Chelsea Harbour) no, you can't under any circumstances discharge sewage. However at Wapping Stairs, because it's on the Thames, you *can* dump raw sewage into it as long as you have a license where you specifically promise not to do so. If you don't have that license you can't.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Cheeks getting ready

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Cowes Regatta Ticket, where boating people get called on their Wight privilege and become insolent.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Guavanaut posted:

you gotta state loudly that it's due to brexit and supply chain issues

shittin off the poop deck, yellin' bout brexit

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

DesperateDan posted:

you gotta state loudly that it's due to brexit and supply chain issues

shittin off the poop deck, yellin' bout brexit

Ploooppp Brexiiiiit!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

God save our gracious King!
Long live our noble King!
God save the King!
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the King!

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter his enemies,
And make them fall:
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix:
God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On him be pleased to pour;
Long may he reign:
May he defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the King!

May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.

May he sedition hush

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God Save the King

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Interesting point. Anywhere on the canal network (including Chelsea Harbour) no, you can't under any circumstances discharge sewage. However at Wapping Stairs, because it's on the Thames, you *can* dump raw sewage into it as long as you have a license where you specifically promise not to do so. If you don't have that license you can't.

Up here the working rule is that you can dump your sewage into the water because we're within one lock of the sea. The moorings community is split on those that do, and those that use a "composting toilet".
Which is a nice way of saying a big bucket and some sawdust to keep the smell down. Which you empty onto a heap at the end of the moorings, then it gets washed away the next flood.
Either way, the river consumes it.

Bulb better not loving go under. They cancelled our last meter installation because the microchip shortage means nobody has any smart meters in stock. We'd asked them to put a traditional clockwork one on and they've ghosted us since.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Looke posted:

she's dying
got rona
both
shedding her skin
all of above?

I offered the queen a beer to apologise for giving her the Stunner and just as she started to drink I gave her a Rock Bottom through a table.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It Is A Bad Forum

Can you clarify? They have quite good responses to dodgy parking tickets which have been very helpful in the past.

Is it Nazis, Gammons or Terfs?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Looke posted:

she's dying
got rona
both
shedding her skin
all of above?

Brain implanted into Charlotte

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Z the IVth posted:

Can you clarify? They have quite good responses to dodgy parking tickets which have been very helpful in the past.

Its presumably a riff on the old 'pee pee, poo poo, he's a bad president' editorial cartoon parody from the front page like 35 years ago.

Its a funny name for a forum.

Edit: huh looked up the original and it was 'Pee Pee, Doo Doo, he is a bad president'. Is that the Mandela effect???

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 29, 2021

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

feedmegin posted:

lol. Canal and River Trust. They are the organisation that maintain and control the inland waterways.

More info about continuous cruising is here https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence/continuous-cruising

And if you want to go down a rabbit hole, check out the prices of narrowboats. https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 29, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

Me not quite remembering this classic:

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
There were a couple of goons who lived on a houseboat on the Thames about ten-fifteen years ago that used to attend/arrange the London goonmeets, no idea if they are still around. Great story they told of sailing it across from Holland where they'd bought it.

Last week I happened to see a banner advertising a Salvis gig in Essex so he is still going strong for any veterans of the time

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I was in town today and got offered a free paper. The woman handing it to talked about the government putting through a vote to privatise part of the NHS and it isn't being talked about.

Anyway I took the paper to see what it's all about it's called The Light. Has anyone heard of it before?

I just had a quick look through it and it talks about vaccine deaths as if they're bigger than from COVID. It actually states that there have been 40,289 deaths in the U.K., U.S. and E.U. after taking the vaccine which could mean they were hit by a bus. It talks about some anti-science cult and how THEY (yes, actually all in caps.) have seized power. Plus a two page spread on some study that apparently debunks global warming. Seems a bit of a waste of paper in parts.

EDIT: At the end they have a column with the headline "Faith and courage will see you through the toughest times" written by Sharon Girardi who is anti-vax.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 29, 2021

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

bessantj posted:

I was in town today and got offered a free paper. The woman handing it to talked about the government putting through a vote to privatise part of the NHS and it isn't being talked about.

Anyway I took the paper to see what it's all about it's called The Light. Has anyone heard of it before?

They were the same people iirc who were trying to reappropriate the White Rose movement to promote Covid conspiracies. They get their followers to actually pay for the printing, and then hand them out. It's a literal loving cult... lol

They are best to be avoided, but take as many newspapers as you can, and sensibly recycle them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Discreetly show the vendor your ID card and nod sagely.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

:allears:

And I'm not even mad that someone is grifting these idiots

e: loving hell, they quote some legal case that I didn't know. It looked like it was in the US format

quote:

Case Law on Consent: “There, every man is independent of all laws, except those prescribed by nature. He is not bound by any institutions formed by his fellowman without his consent” – CRUDEN v. NEALE, 2 N.C. 338 (1796) 2 S.E. 70

.... and I was correct, https://casetext.com/case/cruden-v-neale... and it's from 1796. I thought that was a reference code, not a loving date. lol

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 29, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

fuctifino posted:

They were the same people iirc who were trying to reappropriate the White Rose movement to promote Covid conspiracies. They get their followers to actually pay for the printing, and then hand them out. It's a literal loving cult... lol

They are best to be avoided, but take as many newspapers as you can, and sensibly recycle them.

Thank you for the info, into the recycling it goes.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Quite the menu bar on that website

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

I just had a quick look through it and it talks about vaccine deaths as if they're bigger than from COVID. It actually states that there have been 40,289 deaths in the U.K., U.S. and E.U. after taking the vaccine which could mean they were hit by a bus. It talks about some anti-science cult and how THEY (yes, actually all in caps.) have seized power. Plus a two page spread on some study that apparently debunks global warming. Seems a bit of a waste of paper in parts.

EDIT: At the end they have a column with the headline "Faith and courage will see you through the toughest times" written by Sharon Girardi who is anti-vax.

I'm slightly confused because they use a very similar typeface and layout to the back issues site for When Saturday Comes, the half-decent football magazine, but the slightest glance tells me all I need to know. If they're not directly funding it I'm sure the Epoch Times are involved somewhere in this, it's 100% their MO.

Looking through the actual latest issue - Bob Moran cartoon (Moran of course being the cartoonist too loopy even for the Telegraph, fired (or possibly just suspended) after threatening an NHS doctor on Twitter), Nuremburg Code, "All the animals in the trials died", sovcit stuff now rebranded as "Natural Law" presumably after someone explained Magna Carta to them (disappointing lack of yogic flying), I mean it's all really just basically a printed-out Facebook group.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

the local neds poo poo down that chimna regular imo

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
the Queen has swallowed a particularly large child and she's taking a while to digest him fully

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CGI Stardust posted:

the Queen has swallowed a particularly large child and she's taking a while to digest him fully

There was an old lady who swallowed a child

I don’t know why she swallowed a child – Perhaps she’ll die!

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
"Faith and courage will see you through the toughest times"
Excerpt from the diary of Robert Falcon Scott, 28th March 1912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm slightly confused because they use a very similar typeface and layout to the back issues site for When Saturday Comes, the half-decent football magazine, but the slightest glance tells me all I need to know. If they're not directly funding it I'm sure the Epoch Times are involved somewhere in this, it's 100% their MO.

Looking through the actual latest issue - Bob Moran cartoon (Moran of course being the cartoonist too loopy even for the Telegraph, fired (or possibly just suspended) after threatening an NHS doctor on Twitter), Nuremburg Code, "All the animals in the trials died", sovcit stuff now rebranded as "Natural Law" presumably after someone explained Magna Carta to them (disappointing lack of yogic flying), I mean it's all really just basically a printed-out Facebook group.

That I have heard of. Glad I got it before someone else now.

That's what I like about this thread, you have a question there's usually one or two posters who have a decent knowledge of the answer.