Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Or like, that I've EVER been able to work from home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

I'm looking forward to you being able to walk. You more than deserve it.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Gramps

Escape From Noise posted:

I'm looking forward to you being able to walk. You more than deserve it.

I have never rooted for anything more I tell you whut

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I just have to get the rest of this bonus and I already have another place lined up, but it doesn't start until February.

Legit thinking about taking January off entirely to just like, clean my loving house. You know, that place I'm literally never at because I'm having to do this.

Escape From Noise

I know you can't do it immediately. I just can't wait for it. Because seriously what the gently caress. Also spitting up your bonus over several checks is Some poo poo.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

They played it off like it's a big favor because, you know, taxes!

Except I make so little that I get everything back anyway!

Escape From Noise

But...taxes!

Gramps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjlxSRzJI4Y

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

YESSSSSSSS

Escape From Noise

I had a little playlist I made for my last week at the last place I was.

more falafel please

forums poster

someone was vtubing as an anime girl in my work standup today. welp

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

French Accent

doing paid overtime to catch up on my work because nothing would work ever this week

cruft

My conference ended. It went smoothly for participants. On the back end it was one train wreck after another, and we never got much of a break from fixing cosmic wrenches being thrown into our gears. I'm exhausted.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

The loving brackets are gonna kill me

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I just spent an hour chatting about loving brackets, the kind you adhese to a wall in a shower or next to a vanity, and suddenly everyone wants "invisible" brackets.

The leading "invisible" design on the market WILL BREAK if pressure is applied. I've proven that twice by absolutely destroying them. I'm not exactly a hulk, I'm five foot tall and mostly hoodie since I got sick and lost a gently caress ton of weight.

I'm not sure what the gently caress I can do but just sell these stupid things that will break with a "haha gently caress you" clause.

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
Big sticker on the box(es) saying "Advisory: this product is not load bearing". Also actually say this out loud to people when they ask to buy some

Since the entire point of shelf brackets is that they are in fact load bearing, that should hopefully get the point across, and if people still want to purchase non-load bearing brackets then I guess you don't have a choice?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

These aren't exactly shelves, they're brackets for shower amenities that stay fixed. But yeah, it's basically the Groverhaus of spa brackets. It's bullshit.

NumptyScrub

Maybe a "Maximum load: 1oz" sticker as well lol

cruft

NumptyScrub posted:

Maybe a "Maximum load: 1oz" sticker as well lol

People would be like "they just put that there because the lawyers make them, by the way did you ever hear about McDonald's coffee"

Finger Prince

If the brackets all break, it means you can sell them more brackets *guy tapping temple meme*

cruft

[brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets] [brackets]

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

They played it off like it's a big favor because, you know, taxes!

Except I make so little that I get everything back anyway!

woof. I feel for you. My boss gave the key employees a choice of a bonus or PTO. I was like "give me that PTO dude I want to get paid to not be here obviously." My boss is a good dude but based on most of my job experience that is definitely not a given.

Anyways I am glad you are getting out of there soon. You boss can suck a duck. Also, if you tell people the brackets are shite and they want them anyways, because the invisible aesthetic is that bloody important then I don't really see why it's your problem. Maybe get a recording of yourself with the client telling them that they will fail eventually so you can play it back for them if they call you back about it?

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I straight up told someone to go gently caress themselves today and it feels really really good and it's the first time my boss has ever told me I did a good job.

WHAT THE HELL IS A drat JOB

Gramps

Mormon Nailer posted:

I straight up told someone to go gently caress themselves today and it feels really really good and it's the first time my boss has ever told me I did a good job.

WHAT THE HELL IS A drat JOB

a job where I could tell stupid people to go gently caress themselves kinda sounds cool (i know that's not your status quo, but still a girl can dream)

Escape From Noise

Work has been pretty weird lately. I started brewing like a month ago. I had two brew days in one week. And that was basically it. I haven't had any other brew days. I've just been sitting around doing nothing with four empty tanks. I think it's because this is a very corporate company? It's the first time in my life I've ever really worked a fairly corporate job. I think we're waiting on a bunch of different approvals or something. I don't know. I have to go to the restaurant manager for basically everything, but he's busy with a new restaurant opening/being a restaurant manager so communication can be tough.

Something like 2 weeks ago he asked me to write up a bunch of official recipe documents for the tax office so we could submit them by the end of the week. I did that and put the folder of them where I was pretty sure it'd come from. Last week a coworker asks if I'm leaving at 6 like usual, and I say I may leave earlier since I don't really have anything to do. The lower manager sorta guy hears me and is like "You can't leave early. The manager wants you to get those recipes done so I can go over them to submit them." I was sorta confused and pulled them out and the manager saw me get them and was like "Oh! That's where they were!" He's been a little snippy lately and suddenly was relaxed looking. I dunno. It's weird. I guess he was mad because he thought I wasn't doing the job he asked me and was stewing about it. If he'd have just asked I could have handed it all over to him. I thought I told him I got them done but I may not have because he does forget a lot of things I tell him/ask him for, but I could also see me getting done, going to tell him, seeing him in the middle of banging out a bunch of orders in the kitchen and thinking "I'll tell him later". So while he cold improve communication I should have sent an e-mail or something probably. I dunno. I'm not used to this sorta corporate structure. At least now they don't really care if I show up for a full shift and I'm still getting paid so hey!

NumptyScrub

Escape From Noise posted:

Work has been pretty weird lately. I started brewing like a month ago. I had two brew days in one week. And that was basically it. I haven't had any other brew days. I've just been sitting around doing nothing with four empty tanks. I think it's because this is a very corporate company? It's the first time in my life I've ever really worked a fairly corporate job. I think we're waiting on a bunch of different approvals or something. I don't know. I have to go to the restaurant manager for basically everything, but he's busy with a new restaurant opening/being a restaurant manager so communication can be tough.

Something like 2 weeks ago he asked me to write up a bunch of official recipe documents for the tax office so we could submit them by the end of the week. I did that and put the folder of them where I was pretty sure it'd come from. Last week a coworker asks if I'm leaving at 6 like usual, and I say I may leave earlier since I don't really have anything to do. The lower manager sorta guy hears me and is like "You can't leave early. The manager wants you to get those recipes done so I can go over them to submit them." I was sorta confused and pulled them out and the manager saw me get them and was like "Oh! That's where they were!" He's been a little snippy lately and suddenly was relaxed looking. I dunno. It's weird. I guess he was mad because he thought I wasn't doing the job he asked me and was stewing about it. If he'd have just asked I could have handed it all over to him. I thought I told him I got them done but I may not have because he does forget a lot of things I tell him/ask him for, but I could also see me getting done, going to tell him, seeing him in the middle of banging out a bunch of orders in the kitchen and thinking "I'll tell him later". So while he cold improve communication I should have sent an e-mail or something probably. I dunno. I'm not used to this sorta corporate structure. At least now they don't really care if I show up for a full shift and I'm still getting paid so hey!

Ok this is like the second time this manager has been secretly stewing over something they thought you hadn't delivered right? Sounds like you need to step up your notification game and ensure they are notified at least 2 separate ways you have now Done The Thing. I'm terrible at this as well, not trying to throw shade just saying that I found this to be an effective option in a similar situation (especially when I am world class at forgetting to hit Send on emails). If you get a face to face, see if you can bring the communication thing up and (tactfully) ask what their channel preferences are (email, instant messages, SMS, whatever the hell), so you can ensure they are kept up to date with progress on deliverables.

NGL I once had to phone someone on their personal cell, because the previous emails and IMs were apparently ignored and they still thought I had not Done The Thing, to confirm it was actually done and talk them through getting to it :ughh:

The worst part is that I am also the perenially busy doofus myself, so I also resemble that remark lol

Escape From Noise

I think it was the first time, but yeah, I absolutely need to improve in some areas. I also think he's generally just stressed out about other things. He didn't blow up at me which is a huge step up from the last couple of places. It's just weird having nothing to do.

NumptyScrub

Also one thing to consider is that they chose to stew quietly, instead of just asking you about it when it became relevant. Could be benign, but sounds to me like you are going to have to take the initiative regarding talking through things. :shrug:

cruft

NumptyScrub posted:

Sounds like you need to step up your notification game and ensure they are notified at least 2 separate ways you have now Done The Thing.

This is good advice.

I just spent the last 5 hours debugging why moodle is silently dying with no error messages. Turns out it's because something in MariaDB 10.6 makes it incompatible with MariaDB 10.5. I hate computers.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

This is good advice.

I just spent the last 5 hours debugging why moodle is silently dying with no error messages. Turns out it's because something in MariaDB 10.6 makes it incompatible with MariaDB 10.5. I hate computers.

Computer was a mistake, ascend to crab.

xcheopis

"The last fiscal year, which ended June 2021, which was just a few months ago in this calendar year."

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

xcheopis posted:

"The last fiscal year, which ended June 2021, which was just a few months ago in this calendar year."

I have literally had to send an email like that and I began sighing and will continue to sigh eternally because of it.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

"Please see the attached emails sent previously on 21 March 21 at 1538 Central, 7 April 21 at 1226 Central, 9 May 21 at 1709 Central and 8 August 21 at 0903 Central. Per my previous emails, we requested payment status from you six times prior to the email chain beginning 21 March 21, as documented within the email. Further, we have closed your account, and will no longer provide net terms or volume pricing based on breach of contractual terms, as outlined in the 8 August 21 email. Per the attached email dated 1 October 21 at 0905 Central, we have sent the balance of your account to our collection department. Please arrange to reach out to the collection department at xxx-xxx-xxxx Monday through Saturday, 0800 to 1700 Central. Thank you."

*yeet*

Escape From Noise

NumptyScrub posted:

Also one thing to consider is that they chose to stew quietly, instead of just asking you about it when it became relevant. Could be benign, but sounds to me like you are going to have to take the initiative regarding talking through things. :shrug:

Oh, you're absolutely right. Just not used to this kind of corporate structure and all that.

NumptyScrub

I moved from a small local place to a multinational around the turn of the century, and oh my word the extra beaurocracy is intense

Budgets are better, if you have a good plan then you can get the right tools for the job, but only if you are prepared to drown in all the red tape

Also everyone is convinced that everyone else is responsible for starting the conversation :negative:

Survival involves ensuring you know what your deliverables are, delivering them, and making sure all stakeholders know that you have delivered. Take care of those 3 and the rest will sort itself out

In your situation, I'd be thinking of getting a brewing schedule nailed down (even if the next batch is still weeks away because beaurocracy, this is likely your main deliverable), start the process to acquire any kit you are still missing, and start documenting the cool recipes you have percolating. Obvs change this up to suit your actual situation because I know nothing about japanese breweries I'm just guessing here :sweatdrop:

Also regarding having nothing to do: as long as you are delivering what you need to they don't care. Use the time to reassess process, innovate new recipes, re-architect the production loop, anything that helps you deliver what you need to better / faster / more efficiently

Escape From Noise

This is good info. I'm more or less working on that. Nailing down a schedule has been the hardest part. I really appreciate your perspective. I'm like overwhelmed in some respects but mostly I feel secure. It's very weird.

Escape From Noise

Also the only thing "special" about Japanese brewing is availability of ingredients. You're really on point. I have mostly realized the whole it doesn't matter if I have nothing to do as long as I deliver a product, and they don't know very much so like almost anything is fine

NumptyScrub

Yeah the actual brewing process itself you are the expert, but from a generic batch process perspective, time outside of the main batch is time available to improve for the next batch. If they agree a schedule that gives you a week between brewing batches, you get a week to iterate and improve for the next one (including updating / upgrading equipment). If you have input on the schedule (and you should, as the in-house expert) make sure you build that downtime in, because there will always be things you need to maintain / replace as they wear out

Escape From Noise

At the moment I have nothing, but for sure eventually. It's at least three weeks for a batch to be completed, usually four. I've involved other people in sample checks. I think it'll work out but, yeah, it's gonna take some time for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Again, thanks for the info. Even if I thought I was right about some things it's good to get confirmation. I'm just used to dealing with one manager. Who is insane.