Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It has to be a joke, right? Painting an entire wall Pepto pink is a long way to go for a joke, but it has to be a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Facebook Aunt posted:

It has to be a joke, right? Painting an entire wall Pepto pink is a long way to go for a joke, but it has to be a joke.

Based on what the master bedroom wall color used to be before we bought the house, I don't think so. There are people that actually do like that color on their walls. Though it could have been worse, the neighbors had to replace the bright orange shag carpet that the previous owner had installed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
One time growing up, the bathroom was painted pepto pink for a bit. It was eye searing.

The paint was supposed to be a much lighter pink and my mom was not pleased. It got repainted to golden yellow after a month or so.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

PO of our house just didn’t use painters tape or remove face plates or vent covers. The best was the bright blue edge around the popcorn ceiling.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

In a previous apartment, our bathroom was tiled in Pepto pink. Floor and walls.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Zil posted:

Based on what the master bedroom wall color used to be before we bought the house, I don't think so. There are people that actually do like that color on their walls. Though it could have been worse, the neighbors had to replace the bright orange shag carpet that the previous owner had installed.

Bullshit, they didn't HAVE to.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

When I was painting our kitchen and installing new cabinets, I found a spot that had most of the previous owner's paint choices on display, masked it off, and left it preserved for all time. I call it the [PO] Family Flag, like a house crest of bad decisions and matching execution.

In order of application: Drywall White, Tomato Baby poo poo, Nicotine Khaki, No Survivors Coverup Grey, Benjamin Moore Sea Froth

Additionally, in another room in the house (The Steelers-themed Game Day Urinal Piss Closet) we found some wild safety orange type stuff under the Steelers yellow. Maybe it was a Broncos thing and the cover-up paint job speaks to some family drama?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

cool and nice

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

My friends old rental had cracks in the plaster on the walls that had been covered in painters tape and painted over.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Catching up on the thread, missed unfinished wood chat a while ago, but seeing it did make me want to mention: at my job we had a reception desk on a platform, all unfinished wood, and the platform floor was splintering badly from chair wheels going back and forth all the time. We had to put down those ugly clear plastic office floor mats eventually, and always said it was a temporary measure to tide us over until a long planned redesign of the entire area. This year the redesign finally happened, we had a very expensive new desk and platform made, and you receive no points for guessing a) the material, b) what is happening half a year later and c) the solution to b).

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Bad Munki posted:

When I was painting our kitchen and installing new cabinets, I found a spot that had most of the previous owner's paint choices on display, masked it off, and left it preserved for all time. I call it the [PO] Family Flag, like a house crest of bad decisions and matching execution.

In order of application: Drywall White, Tomato Baby poo poo, Nicotine Khaki, No Survivors Coverup Grey, Benjamin Moore Sea Froth

Additionally, in another room in the house (The Steelers-themed Game Day Urinal Piss Closet) we found some wild safety orange type stuff under the Steelers yellow. Maybe it was a Broncos thing and the cover-up paint job speaks to some family drama?

Amateur.

From when I had the capacity to give the walls of our 1920ish apartment with original plaster and lathe walls (free horsehair!) a sand and skim before repainting almost a decade ago.

We have this spot framed.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

ShotgunWillie posted:

Amateur.

From when I had the capacity to give the walls of our 1920ish apartment with original plaster and lathe walls (free horsehair!) a sand and skim before repainting almost a decade ago.

We have this spot framed.

got your own little Fordite going there

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Reminds me of these drawers, which were probably made by some distant ancestor, last year I sanded and painted them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’ve heard of gas–electric hybrids, but this is ridiculous.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is just baffling at first glance, but someone suggested that the butter was used to lube the cables for installation. I can see that happening and if it did, that’s totally crappy construction.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah, I bet a critter found a stash of butters and moved them to this hiding spot.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

Nah, I bet a critter found a stash of butters and moved them to this hiding spot.

Oh man, that poor little guy. I can't imagine what eating your own weight in butter would do to a critter's digestion.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Oh, my rats have been here

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

To those who were afraid that there wasn't going to be a porch on the front.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Blistex posted:

5/5 I would sit there and drink a lemonade and watch the world go by.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Blistex posted:

That house has no business being in this thread. Looking good!

Jows
May 8, 2002

https://twitter.com/michaelroston/status/1453937945128280070

I sure wish my college experience was prison-chic.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The longer I look, the angrier I get.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Jows posted:

https://twitter.com/michaelroston/status/1453937945128280070

I sure wish my college experience was prison-chic.

Holy poo poo, 94% of the units have no windows. What the gently caress.

It was bad enough when Kanye tried to play architect, this old investment-grifter geezer doing it is insane

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's to save money force students to socialize before they all die in a fire.
https://twitter.com/HNHughson/status/1454073539259142147

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Haifisch posted:

At least there’s room for 570 surfboards

https://twitter.com/azincle/status/1454080237218762759?s=21

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Also there's no such thing as an 'amateur architect', the same way some naturopath or spirit healer isn't an 'amateur doctor'. :argh:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Old person thinks he can make young persons interact and collaborate in person by making their living arrangements onerous.
Failing to understand that young persons "interact and collaborate" pretty much 24/7 online in social media.

edit:

Sloppy posted:

Also there's no such thing as an 'amateur architect', the same way some naturopath or spirit healer isn't an 'amateur doctor'. :argh:

and that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm reminded of a "plan" for an arcology I read about once. Everything, including furniture, would be made out of steel and reinforced concrete (so e.g. chairs would be permanently installed in-place and completely uncomfortable). All units would be identical. There was something in there about forcing the residents to buy their units so that they'd have an ownership stake and be incentivized to take care of them better. I'd love to track the article down again because it was impressively batshit insane. Basically the person who designed it saw a whole bunch of supposed social problems, dreamt up a scenario in which they convinced themselves these problems would be solved, and then neglected to consider the possibility that nobody would ever want to live in their concrete hellhole.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm reminded of a "plan" for an arcology I read about once. Everything, including furniture, would be made out of steel and reinforced concrete (so e.g. chairs would be permanently installed in-place and completely uncomfortable). All units would be identical. There was something in there about forcing the residents to buy their units so that they'd have an ownership stake and be incentivized to take care of them better. I'd love to track the article down again because it was impressively batshit insane. Basically the person who designed it saw a whole bunch of supposed social problems, dreamt up a scenario in which they convinced themselves these problems would be solved, and then neglected to consider the possibility that nobody would ever want to live in their concrete hellhole.

The person presenting such a plan would never have to live in it, of course.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Never thougth I'd be able to say this in this thread, but check out the academia thread for a bunch of people making fun of that monstrosity, or as it is now known Kowloon Walled Dormitory

Also I found one little flaw in the design, it's subtle so I drew a diagram:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also I think I find a slight problem with the design of those interior clusters. See, the thing on the far side, opposite the door is pretty obviously a sink, which means that the box next to it is the dishwasher.

Which means the stove must be that thing at the other side, next to the fridge

Here, it's a complex issue so I've mocked up a diagram to explain the problem:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Two inmates in an Alabama prison once sued stating that the size of their cells was too small, and constituted cruel and unusual punishment. The State of Alabama, in its defense, pointed out that the dorm rooms in Magnolia Dormitory, at Auburn University, were smaller, and people actually paid to live there.

Munger Hall seems like the type of dorm that could be used in such a lawsuit.

EDIT: Magnolia Dormitory was demolished in 1987, and its twin, Noble, was used until 2005 when it was condemned, and demolished shortly after.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Reminds me of Victoy Cities, a concept for an all-inclusive megacity apartment building designed by a maniac millionaire at age 13. The guy eventually donated all of his writings on the concept to some college, under the condition that they build a library to maintain his collection (to that end, the website for the project is still online lol).

I can't directly quote my archived effort posts about it (and they're full of quotes that I dont really want to copy), so here are links:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657842#post433854717
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657842#post433877204

The concept goes way farther than that, just like some guy's theorycrafting of a planned city-state economy.

http://fishmech.info/www.victorycities.com/resguide/index.html

Highlights include the Circl-Serv™ Cafeteria, free medical insurance, mandatory Water Pik® Booths, etc.. Cats and dogs will not be allowed in apartments but must be housed in the Pet Park until self-cleaning litterbox and dander-filtering technology is more advanced (not a joke). Free city services but no city taxes (because theyre baked into apartment fees i think, which is somehow not a tax). Apartments will be "renovated" in 5 minutes by means of swapping out the modular metal wall panels with ones of a different color.

There's so much more and its all so good

fake edit: i realized after pasting the link that i had inadvertantly found an archive of the site from Fishmech lol, not the actual library in charge of it. no idea why they archived it but thanks lol

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 29, 2021

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Cyrano4747 posted:

Never thougth I'd be able to say this in this thread, but check out the academia thread for a bunch of people making fun of that monstrosity, or as it is now known Kowloon Walled Dormitory

Also I found one little flaw in the design, it's subtle so I drew a diagram:

Do they normally provide stoves in dorms configured with that type of shared living space. When I was in school some students seemed to have a issue with using a microwave without evacuating the entire dorm. They never would have stuck a stove in any of the common areas.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

One reply mentioned something no one is talking about--there is already a Munger dorm for grad students at the university of michigan. I think the bedrooms are larger, but the concept might be the same?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

koshmar posted:

Do they normally provide stoves in dorms configured with that type of shared living space. When I was in school some students seemed to have a issue with using a microwave without evacuating the entire dorm. They never would have stuck a stove in any of the common areas.

The “quad” dorms at my college had a microwave and stove per unit, but the per-floor rooms for the normal dorms had only microwaves.

I’m pretty sure only the microwaves were really used with any real frequency anyway.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I remembered how to quote archived stuff:

Slanderer posted:

Retrofuturistic cities are often pictured as places of colossal spires, flying cars, and unnecessary glass domes. Victory City was to have none of those. No, instead it was to be a towering behemoth---3 square miles in area, and a constant 102 stories. Why? Because gently caress you, that's why!

Victory City was designed by the famous architect-scientist-sociologist-confirmed bachelor Orville Simpson II at the age of 13. The event would be one for the history books.

All quotes are from "City Idea Is 31 Years Old" By Si Cornell, The Post & Times Star, July 14, 1967 (lol)

quote:

"I was 13 and in a boarding school's infirmary when I had the idea for the city of the future," said Orville. "As I remember, I think I had broken out in a rash"

THE YEAR IS 1967. "Orville is 44, a bachelor and a teetotaler. He has held such jobs as insurance claim adjuster, foundry timekeeper, warehouse laborer, waterworks radio operator, fire alarm salesman, cloth cutter, supermarket manager trainee, and Fuller Brush man." Orville decided that the government housing Projects were a terrible idea. Instead of fixing cities that had been destroyed by Crime, Urban Decay, and the Blacks, he reasoned that the government should instead build a giant dystopian megacity in the middle of nowhere. And it would be called VICTORY CITY

quote:

"I called it Victory City — the opposite of civilization's defeat," he said.

Why not build horizontally, which would have been much easier and cheaper?

quote:

"I designed my city 102 stories high," he said. "That's what the Empire State Building is, and we've proved we can build one that high."

Truly, this would be the ideal of civilization. This box of condensed, struggling humanity would 332,000 people. And none of them would ever need to leave. Why venture outside in the fresh air? No, far easier to stay inside where it can never rain. Why built a nice house for your family, when instead you can live inside a giant fireproof fart cage? Why bother with tedious chores like cleaning your bathroom, when the city can do it automatically (also, great for parricide!)

quote:

"Take the bathrooms," said Orville. "All stainless steel, and on rollers so you could rearrange your apartment within reason depending on the number of connecting outlets.

"If you want to scrub the bathroom, just close the door, and set the dials that will be outside. First, hot water would spray the entire room from a ceiling fixture. Next, hot water mixed with detergent would wash it. Third, there would be a hot-water rinse. This would be so hot the room automatically dried as the steam escaped from the vent."
"Every time something new is created to solve old problems, there always are new problems created," conceded Orville.

Sure. Wait until a smart-alecky kid locks his mother in a bathroom like that and turns those hot-water dials.

Now, a old fashioned building project might need to deal with labor unions seeking for fair wages and a safe working environment. Well, gently caress those Commie fucks. We don't take their poo poo in VICTORY CITY

quote:

One of the greatest potential hazards that might threaten the successful completion of the construction of a Victory City will be for the construction workers' union to call a strike and demand exorbitant increases in wages after a large portion, perhaps 80% of the building, is finished, and Victory City Corp. is fully committed financially to the completion of the building.

In order to avoid this hazard, Victory City could require the union to sign a contract before the start of any work which will require the workers' agreement to accept 75% of their wages in the form of Victory City common stock. They will agree not to strike, and the penalty for striking will be the loss of all their common stock. Another 15% of their wages will be paid in the form of room and board in a temporary trailer city erected at each building site for the workers and their families. A strike will necessitate the eviction of the workers from the trailer city.

The workers would receive 10% of their wages in cash.

With this small amount of cash income, there will be no opportunity to save a large amount of cash to fall back on for strike purposes
. On the other hand, the only way for the workers to receive their common stock representing 75% of their wages is to complete the construction of Victory City. This arrangement will give them a vital interest in Victory City, and at the same time, enable Victory City to conserve cash. It will take much less cash initially to erect the first Victory City and less cash for each subsequent Victory City.

Ha-ha, take that Comrade Lenin!

Now, you might think, "Gosh, it has to be hard to feed 300,000 hungry bellies! How many corner stores will that take?" Here in VICTORY CITY, we have eliminated inefficient actions such as cooking for yourself (how quaint!). No, here in VICTORY CITY, everyone will eat healthy, locally-grown food served up hot out of our ELECTRIC KITCHEN in the Cafeteria. Yes, just one cafeteria meets the needs of every resident! Through merciless wartime scheduling and hyperefficient eating training, our residents will be content eating exactly when we let them eat, and for exactly how long! Our Founder's greatest achievement is the Circl-Serv™. The Circl-Serv™ is a high-tech, high-speed spinning FOOD-SYSTEM that has been scientifically designed to optimize the food-selection process. Gaze upon it's beauty and weep:

Great Founder Orville Simpson II has not given up on his dream! So far, his accomplishments are many! In just the first 15 years of his working career, he worked 23 jobs! What a go-getter! Why, in 2011 he donated $10 million and his VICTORY CITY ARCHIVES to the University of Cincinnati. This donation will be spent allowing architects, scientists, and geniuses to study his work for decades to come, so it may be built once humanity is ready.

Other fun-facts:
-Bedrooms will never have windows, a fun child safety feature!
-Pets are only allowed to be kept in the PET DOME. You may visit your pets, upon veterinarian approval.
-All children must mix their sweat with the earth of our fertile farmlands in order to receive High School and College education
-No residents can make sound after 11PM! Muzak available from 10PM-11PM.
-All residents will be made out of pure, uncaring steel walls. This steel walls can be completely disassembled and removed from an entire apartment in 5 minutes, making evictions fun and easy! These walls will provide multiple city-approved locations for hanging pictures and knick-knacks.
-Freedom of the speech and freedom of the press are allowed (criticism of VICTORY CITY is strictly forbidden)
-VICTORY CITY will have no fire department. It cannot burn. It is perfect, pure, and eternal.
-Arranging furniture is tiresome. Instead, furniture will be fixed in place, according to the Most Optimal Designs of our architects!
-Graves are a luxury we cannot afford. We dare not let you venture into the Wastelands outside the city to bury your dead. Cremation is mandatory.
-Water Pik® booths will be placed strategically about the cafeteria so that all the people in Victory City will be able to clean their teeth at the earliest possible moment after eating!

Enjoy your stay in VICTORY CITY!

The website has a lot more great stuff, including all of Orville's drawings of VICTORY CITY.
http://www.victorycities.com/index.html

Slanderer posted:

The relative amount of time spent on very specific details, instead of the much more important decisions is pretty great. It's nowhere near as troubling as the in-depth inane theorycrafting of Malatora (for instance), but still pretty bizarre. There seem to be more mentions of the Cafeteria then anything else. He could have been considering the fact that there is 1 sports field for 300k people, or how to provide water, electricity, waste treatment to the city, but nope, gotta work on the cafeteria.

An elaborate system of ferris wheels and rotating food counters (Circl-Serv) would shuttle food through a 9-story serving area.

The kitchens in Victory City would be all-electric and would be positioned adjacent to the greenhouses to make collection of fresh fruits and vegetables fast and easy.

Now, there is a good (but not original) idea buried deep in all of this. Suburban living, in particular, requires that a family spent a lot of money and resources of stuff that they need, but can never use to their full potential. Kitchens (and all the appliances and cooking implements this entails), a lawnmower and yardwork tools, laundry machines, etc... Hell, the quality of consumer appliances is way lower than it could be (in order to meet price demand, and due to the belief that those appliances shouldn't last a long time anyway), which is a waste in itself. Replace the laundry machines of several houses with a single set of commercial machines and they would probably last just as long, and for a fraction of the price.

But he seems so obsessed with the notion that we could do away with material waste that he forces it to disappear.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 29, 2021

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I had totally forgotten until re-reading my awful post that the designer of Victory City did in fact want all-steel furniture, which would be fixed in place

quote:

Fire Department and Fire Prevention
There will be fire hoses, fire extinguishers, sprinkler systems and fire alarm systems throughout the building. The entire building, including all apartments, will be inspected routinely and frequently for fire or explosion hazards.

There will not be one stick of wood used in the construction of Victory City nor in any of the furniture, furnishings or equipment in Victory City. Not only will this make the building more fireproof, but it will also help preserve what is left of the forests of our land.

The building will be of reinforced poured concrete construction with a glass curtain wall on the outside. The interior walls will be mostly concrete, but some will be made of removable metal partitions which will have a non-flammable plastic foam in the center, sandwiched between two sheets of metal, probably aluminum with a baked enamel in various decorator colors. The furniture will all be metal, similar to office furniture, and will be specially designed for Victory City so that not an inch of space will be wasted, and each individual item of furniture will be designated for a particular position in an apartment.

The ideal arrangement will be predetermined with the location of all furniture to be included in the architect's plans and each piece of furniture specified in detail. In place of curtains and drapes, there will be "ornamental light diffusers" made out of metal, ceramics and glass and possibly other fireproof materials.

Of great value in fire prevention will be the absence of kitchens from all the apartments in the entire residential building. This means there will be no gas, no 220 wiring for electric stoves, no stove of any kind, no kitchen appliances and no matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

another fun thing with that dorm building is the cost. $1.2 billion divided by "up to" 4500 students comes to $267k per student living there, assuming full capacity and that they build that max number of units. one of the supposed benefits of the design is that it uses a lot of prefabricated elements that can be made off site, so it sounds like there are some really dumb ideas elsewhere in the plan that eat up any cost savings gained from churning out dorm lego blocks in a factory