Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

What was the last 4CMC+ creature that was playable in Standard that didn’t generate some amount of value ETB/was hard to remove/had haste?

Does Lier, Disciple of the Drowned count? Giving spells flashback is kind of a stretch of "etb value" when she's already a 5-cost sorcery-speed card, and she can't be protected with counterspells.

Part of the Lesson package in the sidbroard of Turns decks is Mascot Exhibition, a seven cost sorcery that just generates bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah, that’s going in Sythis Historic Brawl

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Technically, Moonveil Regent. It does have a death trigger that sometimes does something, though. And like Gargaroth, it's fast compounding advantage.

Good example, and a really good explanation for why a card like it and Gargaroth see play.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Does Lier, Disciple of the Drowned count? Giving spells flashback is kind of a stretch of "etb value" when she's already a 5-cost sorcery-speed card, and she can't be protected with counterspells.

Part of the Lesson package in the sidbroard of Turns decks is Mascot Exhibition, a seven cost sorcery that just generates bodies.

I think Lier doesn't count (or less confusingly: is a card that enters and gives immediate value) because it technically does give you something as soon as you play it, even if it isn't exciting or powerful.

There's enough weird poo poo about ME that I'm not going to count it.

So our list right now is:
Gargaroth
Moonveil Regent
Lifelinking Angels with First Strike (in the sideboard)

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 29, 2021

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

There's enough weird poo poo about ME that I'm not going to count it.

I think the real issue is that it wasn't named Three Body Problem.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think the real issue is that it wasn't named Three Body Problem.

W7 should have been called The Dark Forest, and then I don't remember the name of the third book lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The disturbed cards in this set are enchantments on the back side, right?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Lier is a dude. Unless WOTC is okay with showing nipple on their cards.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Strong Sauce posted:

Lier is a dude. Unless WOTC is okay with showing nipple on their cards.

I haven't looked at the art that close and have looked at None of the lore, so my bad.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Neat spin on the Grim Haruspex effect.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The only thing I’ve learned from the lore recently is that WOTC are trying to make Chandra/Adeline a thing

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Just realized this Kaya card is not a judge promo, but for the Crimson Vow set.

edit: it is possible its a promo card not for crimson vow but I think someone mentioned that Chandra and Kaya crash the wedding so I think this is part of it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I like.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

edit: it is possible its a promo card not for crimson vow but I think someone mentioned that Chandra and Kaya crash the wedding so I think this is part of it.

I hope they follow the silly PW name scheme and its like "Kaya, Wedding Crasher"

That art owns.

EDIT: Oh yea also ty for posting all the spoiler stuff you find to this thread.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Strong Sauce posted:

They showed that art during the stream yesterday as “Kaya, Geist Hunter”

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

fadam posted:

I hope they follow the silly PW name scheme and its like "Kaya, Wedding Crasher"

That art owns.

EDIT: Oh yea also ty for posting all the spoiler stuff you find to this thread.
yeah this one was in the mtg art facebook group. the art is actually a big piece so it's tempting to buy but the bid is already at $7000 for it. lots of deep pockets in mtg art world

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They showed that art during the stream yesterday as “Kaya, Geist Hunter”

ah didn't watch it. so it'll be an actual creature and not just a picture for a sorcery/instant

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Strong Sauce posted:

yeah this one was in the mtg art facebook group. the art is actually a big piece so it's tempting to buy but the bid is already at $7000 for it. lots of deep pockets in mtg art world

ah didn't watch it. so it'll be an actual creature and not just a picture for a sorcery/instant

Planeswalker I think, they showed it off along with the Chandra art

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Planeswalker I think, they showed it off along with the Chandra art

ah yeap. i keep forgetting creature and planeswalker are kinda separate things. to me creatures are just permanents with hit points (loyalty counters).

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i don't think this was posted yet

Edit: Just realized this is Torens, Fist of the Angels?

Edit 2: oh it says right underneath... what is this? an alt non-innistrad variant?
edit 3: ahhhhh dracula variant is what it is..

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 29, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

Edit: Just realized this is Torens, Fist of the Angels?

Edit 2: oh it says right underneath... what is this? an alt non-innistrad variant?
edit 3: ahhhhh dracula variant is what it is..

Did you play during Ikoria? It's the Ikoria godzilla treatment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Did you play during Ikoria? It's the Ikoria godzilla treatment.

We'll also presumably see it for the secret lair walking dead/stranger things cards when those appear in The List.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

fadam posted:

W7 should have been called The Dark Forest, and then I don't remember the name of the third book lol

Death's End lol

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Strong Sauce posted:

Heeey look, the Godzilla treatment. And it's not a tie in to Burger King or whatever, it's just something that is cool and thematic for fans to enjoy. How loving about that.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Manaform Hellkite also has some defensive potential with making tokens on your opponent's turn in a control deck. Seems pushed.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Magnetic North posted:

Heeey look, the Godzilla treatment. And it's not a tie in to Burger King or whatever, it's just something that is cool and thematic for fans to enjoy. How loving about that.

Yeah I wasn't nuts about the Godzilla stuff but I think this is a pretty sweet tie-in. Plus it's public domain so win-win for WotC lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

lol absolute best name they could have picked

Card would probably be playable if it could target itself (perhaps not adding counters), not sure if it's good enough without that. 4 mana is a lot to spend on a card that needs a friend.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There’s the dual character card Maro hinted at. Not bad, gives an immediate benefit if you cast it pre-combat and have other creatures on the board

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That'll have a place in my Xenagos, God of Revels EDH deal.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There’s the dual character card Maro hinted at. Not bad, gives an immediate benefit if you cast it pre-combat and have other creatures on the board

I guess the equation you have to solve is: is a card that's pretty bad by itself but really good if there's a second card on the board better than a card that's always pretty good regardless of board state.

The fact that it gives haste as part of its trigger is really good, but it's not hard to imagine the games where this is ends up being just a 4 mana 2/3. I guarantee I'm also going to swing a flier into this by accident at some point during limited.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It is extremely dumb in limited and I'm sure I will lose to it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

fadam posted:

Card would probably be playable if it could target itself (perhaps not adding counters), not sure if it's good enough without that. 4 mana is a lot to spend on a card that needs a friend.

Yeah don't really see this doing much that Reckless Stormseeker can't do better

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

halalanenea, roomates

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

Yeah don't really see this doing much that Reckless Stormseeker can't do better

True. At least stormseeker can haste/boost itself

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm a huge fan of Cleave if only because it enabled this joke.

voted 5, would buy a playset

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

jesus christ are the idiots at wizards outright lesbophobes or something

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Halana and Alena, Lesbians

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Halana and Alena, Lesbians

To be honest, that would be pretty banger.

A big flaming stink posted:

jesus christ are the idiots at wizards outright lesbophobes or something

Asian markets.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They have jobs too.
(Where they're also partners)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If you take a scanning electron microscope and look at the background of olivias wedding you can almost see them kissing