Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-DxG4R8bc4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

61% on rotten tomatoes. Thought you degenerates would like to know.

:wrong:
it's 60% now :smugdon:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

this is a solid effort but i cannot be made to care about rt scores

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

josh04 posted:

at 59% it turns "rotten"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

[Poop Culture] at 59% it turns "rotten"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Atrocious Joe posted:

there's been a big push in US media lately to portray billionaires are cool adventurers and your friends, and it's been sort of successful. Musk and Bezos have gotten fawning coverage over their "Space race." i was looking at a rural local news site for an impoverished area and one of the top stories was sympathetic coverage of how billionaires were concerned that a tax on billionaires would hurt the economy.

I've been listening to the Kill James Bond podcast at work and have been seriously considering writing a treatment of a near-futire Dr No where a mysterious billionaire has hired spectre to crash NASA rockets to inflate his own space company (as retribution for tax hikes).

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Are we at the
>if you don't like this movie you are a bigot
level of discourse regarding Eternals?

wild to think this is happening for a movie no one has actually seen yet

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ToxicAcne posted:

To be fair Pakistanis tend to be among the more poorer ethnic groups in the country, although also probably one of the most economically stratified. There was some York professor who did a study highlighting the rate of poverty in the community and he got death threats by people who don't want to think of Pakistanis as anything other than professional class.

You can see the same class divisions in the Sikh community too and probably the Chinese one as well

https://www.dawn.com/news/1298978

Here is the article in question but it's more bootsrrappy than I remembered.

Yeah good point. Bootstrappy or not that's interesting data.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Lol

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2021/05/24/how-many-times-is-disney-going-to-introduce-their-first-gay-character/

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im going to be very disappointed if eternals isnt just about gay superheroes teaching humans how to make atomic bombs in between all the g rated lovemaking

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

indigi posted:

nomadland seems absolutely schizophrenic because it feels like it set out to present a good, noble face of the libertarian(ish) freedom of American workers but the movie is about people living in their loving cars at the whim of global capital so it’s hard to take the movie’s message at face value

I don’t know where everyone’s getting these “Amazon/capitalism is awesome!” messages from Nomadland. I thought it was obvious that the main character was incredibly psychologically damaged and traumatized by the loss of her husband and her old job and the financial crisis. She’s nomadic and lives hand to mouth (dependent on her van and the indulgence of her relatives) because she doesn’t know who she is anymore and misses an old life she can never get back. The other people she meet are also lost and also often sick or dying. No one should want to be her.

It might not be an overtly communist movie, but it’s definitely not neoliberal propaganda either.

Atrocious Joe posted:

i want to be clear, i have not seen nomadland. the van life stuff I mostly hear about from people who see it as an aspirational lifestyle.

These people sound stupid.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

josh04 posted:

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 59% Rotten Tomatoe score... you're gonna see some serious denialism.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Eric Cantonese posted:

I don’t know where everyone’s getting these “Amazon/capitalism is awesome!” messages from Nomadland. I thought it was obvious that the main character was incredibly psychologically damaged and traumatized by the loss of her husband and her old job and the financial crisis. She’s nomadic and lives hand to mouth (dependent on her van and the indulgence of her relatives) because she doesn’t know who she is anymore and misses an old life she can never get back. The other people she meet are also lost and also often sick or dying. No one should want to be her.

It might not be an overtly communist movie, but it’s definitely not neoliberal propaganda either.

These people sound stupid.

it romanticized it a bit op

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i saw last duel and its good

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Not liking X-Men is ableism

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Good soup! posted:

Not liking X-Men is ableism

so is not liking your posts :twisted:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

so is not liking your posts :twisted:

lmao :drat:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Farm Frenzy posted:

i saw last duel and its good

I hear Adam Driver is channeling Harvey Weinstein.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its mostly a very explicit metoo allegory but it works really well

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

I hear Adam Driver is channeling Harvey Weinstein.

Millenial squire gets into feud with Boomer knight because he could actually read.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/nick_field90/status/1454261640459866121

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

This is a hate crime

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Disney is going to go nuts, the question is how.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I assume the rabid fans will go nuts and Disney will just quietly pretend it didn't happen and throw money at whatever else happens to be successful

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!
There are more people in North America hyped to see the Bollywood dude playing Kingo than people who give a poo poo about any of these characters, by a significant number because people like Bollywood.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

It is back to fresh

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

There are more people in North America hyped to see the Bollywood dude playing Kingo than people who give a poo poo about any of these characters, by a significant number because people like Bollywood.

https://twitter.com/alicewetterlund...ingawful.com%2F

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

i guess you don't have to hand it to the tony stark of bollywood after all

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
he's not a bollywood guy. he got started doing comedy in LA

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Casey Finnigan posted:

he's not a bollywood guy. he got started doing comedy in LA

his character has been described as Bollywood Tony Stark

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Disney should have hired the real Kingo of Bollywood, Shah Rukh Khan.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

StashAugustine posted:

I assume the rabid fans will go nuts and Disney will just quietly pretend it didn't happen and throw money at whatever else happens to be successful

The month after Eternals is a Spider-Man movie where he fights the bad guys from the Garfield and Maguire movies. There will probably be Garfield and Maguire Spider-Man too. The fanservice will be so overloaded and everyone will forget about Eternals because Alfred Molina is back.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The month after Eternals is a Spider-Man movie where he fights the bad guys from the Garfield and Maguire movies. There will probably be Garfield and Maguire Spider-Man too. The fanservice will be so overloaded and everyone will forget about Eternals because Alfred Molina is back.

yeah that movie is gonna own. so is the Flash movie with Keaton and Affleck Batsmen. I love stuff that centers absurd decades-spanning comic book (movie) continuity

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

DesertIslandHermit posted:

frowned real hard at that first sentence trying to remember who the bad guy was in the bill murray garfield movies

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Eric Cantonese posted:

I agree with this, it's fundamentally a character study of a broken person. For most viewers, I expect how interesting you find the movie is largely based on how interesting you find the character in question. (I did not find it particularly interesting, I think the whole thing was wildly overrated though the way the film straddles movie and documentary was kind of neat.)

That said, there's really no defending the way Amazon is depicted. I can think of three things we're told about working at an Amazon warehouse through the text of the movie: 1) The money's good, 2) The job is flexible and there when you need it most, and 3) Amazon really cares about your safety. All three of these statements are blatant lies, so the Amazon-related scenes are pretty hard to ignore even if they make up a tiny fraction of the movie.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Mola Yam posted:

frowned real hard at that first sentence trying to remember who the bad guy was in the bill murray garfield movies

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

Disney should have hired the real Kingo of Bollywood, Shah Rukh Khan.

i would watch anything disney made with him in it. Hes so dreamy

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Mola Yam posted:

Hyper-Nermalization.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i have been notified that if you do not care about the dumb superhero movie it is because you hate people of color. so please be ashamed of your words and deeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/mrjoshz/status/1454376522438041607?s=20
https://twitter.com/mrjoshz/status/1454379497999028227?s=20