Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

Considering Krafton exclusively publishes either co-op battle royale games, mobile FTP game, or MMOs, this is probably a bad sign.

tbh, a Subnautica MMO that focused on crafting and exploration and didn’t have traditional combat at all would be pretty close to my ideal game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Sealab 2021 the MMO WHEN

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Let me be the first to declare war on pod 6, the jerks!!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Subnautica 3 with online or local co-op.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No Man's Sky, but underwater.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

withak posted:

How do you miss No Man's Sea?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ardeem posted:

How do you miss No Man's Sea?

“No Sky, Man”

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

They better let me build an Adrienne Barbeaubot.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

The Eurogamer Article posted:

Unknown Worlds is currently working on "a new genre-defining game" due to launch into early access in 2022

I am confident this will not be genre defining. More likely just an uncommon or rare mix. Still, curious, assuming they hired actual programmers this time.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

withak posted:

BIZARRO No Man's Sky.

BIZARRO

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Bad Munki posted:

“No Sky, Man”

No Man's Soup

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Unknown Worlds just got bought by the PUBG people.

If this leads to a bigger budget without corporate restrictions, then it's good.

Otherwise... :smith:

I have no idea what to make of this, they seem more likely to do something with Natural Selection than subnautica :thunk:

Unless the Krafton people are fans of their IP, which is plausible

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Valid criticisms of Below Zero aside…I would absolutely want a Subnautica 3 that is mostly just more of the same and I’d be extremely happy.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

BIZARRO No Man's Sky.

BIZARRO

Just give them the drat beans!!!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cartoon Man posted:

Valid criticisms of Below Zero aside…I would absolutely want a Subnautica 3 that is mostly just more of the same and I’d be extremely happy.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I killed my first Reaper Leviathan!
:black101:

It chased my seamoth into a cave and got stuck, lol. I hacked it to death with my vibroblade while it couldn’t move…

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

No Man's Soup

…For The Castaway Soul

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Question about The Alien Containment Module; I found and hatched a Crabsquid egg, how big is my four-eyed octopus going to get inside a three-story aquarium? Anywhere close to full-grown size, or will they just stay a mini-size pet?

Cartoon Man posted:

It chased my seamoth into a cave and got stuck, lol. I hacked it to death with my vibroblade while it couldn’t move…

You should become a fisherman like I have, and hunt them for sport when they cross your path! :black101:.

Prawnsuit, grapple arm to latch onto them, Drill arm to shove into them while they flail about in panic as you turn them into sushi.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
All of your fish are going to stay pretty small. I believe they don't grow past whatever size they hatch at. Aquarium height only dictates how many critters you can have, not how big they can be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

YggiDee posted:

All of your fish are going to stay pretty small. I believe they don't grow past whatever size they hatch at. Aquarium height only dictates how many critters you can have, not how big they can be.

Ah well. I do think it's amusing my Cyclops' threat detector picks it up though.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Question about The Alien Containment Module; I found and hatched a Crabsquid egg, how big is my four-eyed octopus going to get inside a three-story aquarium? Anywhere close to full-grown size, or will they just stay a mini-size pet?

You should become a fisherman like I have, and hunt them for sport when they cross your path! :black101:.

Prawnsuit, grapple arm to latch onto them, Drill arm to shove into them while they flail about in panic as you turn them into sushi.

You can also use the stasis rifle. Just keep refreshing the stasis bubble and keep stabbing it until it's dead. It does take a while.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Do leviathans respawn? A quick google search was inconclusive with lots of people arguing on both sides.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
In OG, and afaik for BZ, nothing shark-size or larger respawns. The leviathans you get when going out-of-bounds are kind of an exception, but it's less "re"-spawning and more "just keep spawning".

If there's something harassing your base, feel free to off it. Not only do you finally get piece and quiet, there's also murderous satisfaction! Bloody porpoises...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Serephina posted:

In OG, and afaik for BZ, nothing shark-size or larger respawns. The leviathans you get when going out-of-bounds are kind of an exception, but it's less "re"-spawning and more "just keep spawning".

If there's something harassing your base, feel free to off it. Not only do you finally get piece and quiet, there's also murderous satisfaction! Bloody porpoises...

I felt extremely happy after repeatedly stabbing the Gastropod that kept farting and laughing right outside my base.

uXs posted:

You can also use the stasis rifle. Just keep refreshing the stasis bubble and keep stabbing it until it's dead. It does take a while.

That's far too sensible! :colbert: My way is the equivalent of leaping at it with a knife in in your teeth and murder in your heart, with zero disregard for self-preservation.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 31, 2021

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Canuckistan posted:

Do leviathans respawn? A quick google search was inconclusive with lots of people arguing on both sides.

In unmodded OG the leviathans, at least underground ones, respawn after a couple hours in my experience. I killed them enough times to know. In BZ no, they do not respawn. If you kill things like annoying gastropods that are nearby you may or may not get new ones after a while but they'll be somewhere else.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I felt extremely happy after repeatedly stabbing the Gastropod that kept farting and laughing right outside my base.

That's far too sensible! :colbert: My way is the equivalent of leaping at it with a knife in in your teeth and murder in your heart, with zero disregard for self-preservation.

Marguerite? Is that you?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You aren't supposed to kill stuff in this game, aside from the fish you eat.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I killed a lava lizard but that fucker would not leave me alone. Like if you're going to gently caress around with someone who has drill arms, you'll eventually find out, right?

Then again that's probably on me for never using the propulsion cannon or the stasis rifle.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 31, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Unless this was changed well after release, I’m pretty sure the punch arm does more dps than the drill

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

LonsomeSon posted:

Unless this was changed well after release, I’m pretty sure the punch arm does more dps than the drill

It does.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I kill all Shadow Leviathans. gently caress those guys.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

You are very lucky that The Reaper forgot it can simply no-clip through terrain to chase you and your parked seamoth :v:

It was one of those times it happened that I learned the repulsion gun sorta kinda works a a little bit on them as a fallback defense :allears:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I had already got the #2 depth module for the Prawn and was farting around near the Aurora farming titanium. The Reaper that hangs around the rear end end managed to slither over about six inches depth water, nab my rear end, and pound me into the terrain so hard I started falling through the map.

As serendipity would have it, I landed not far from the final alien base, and had a few beacons on me. So even though I wasn't carrying a blue tablet, I dropped a few beacons on the way back to map that annoying route. It all worked out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

withak posted:

You aren't supposed to kill stuff in this game, aside from the fish you eat.

They tried to kill me first and I am no longer afraid :toughguy:.

LonsomeSon posted:

I might go hunt down another and try this :eyepop:. Punching a Reaper in the face repeatedly while swearing at it and hanging off its side sounds even cooler.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

LonsomeSon posted:

Two default punch-arms leaves you lacking in mobility and utility, but it does beast mode damage if your target is staying close enough to repeatedly clobber them.

I thoroughly de-bone-sharked the deep grand reef thermal vent area and it was very quick. I would live and let live, but they wouldn't let me live and let live so that meant war.

It's worth equipping a grappling arm and losing some DPS for basically any other big enemy. Being able to glue yourself to your target and do wrestling moves on them while they try to flee is the ultimate payback for that one time they broke your Seamoth in the early game. The PDA wasn't joking when it said:

quote:

"It is normal when first piloting a Prawn suit to feel a sense of limitless power.
Prawn operators receive weeks of training to counteract this phenomenon.
You will have to make do with self-discipline."

I REJECT THE LAWS OF MAN AND CHOOSE TO LIVE AS A BEAST
*suplexes a leviathan into the seabed*

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Now I'm feeling bad that I used the grappling arm for 30 seconds, decided it was poo poo and never touched it again

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I'm more like "YOU THINK YOU GOT ME? YOU JUST PUT ME RIGHT WHERE I NEED TO BE TO DRILL YOUR SKULL OPEN!" *BRRRRRRR*

Alctel posted:

Now I'm feeling bad that I used the grappling arm for 30 seconds, decided it was poo poo and never touched it again

The grappling arm is well worth your time for Spider-Man'ing around and vertical traversal. Especially with the really DEEP passages that you can't jumpjet out of in one go (you can just hang off the wall and let your jets recharge).

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

The PDA wasn't joking when it said:

this got a lol out of me

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The grappling arm is well worth your time for Spider-Man'ing around and vertical traversal. Especially with the really DEEP passages that you can't jumpjet out of in one go (you can just hang off the wall and let your jets recharge).

Definitely. In particular, if you're using the prawn without a Cyclops/Sea Truck as a base of operations it makes traversal a lot faster once you get the hang of using it. When you get to what you want to mine, hop out and replace one of the grapple arms with the drill.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Two grappling arms is the way to go for the true spider-man experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I wish it shot out faster and longer. Anybody modded that?