Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

1992 Chicago Bulls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Jack Stone is real

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mansa Musa and so many gold coins LEGO has to shut down

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

davebo posted:

So I've resisted all these blind bag sets so far, not wanting to get sucked into just minifig collecting, but this might do it. How do you all typically ensure you get everything in a wave? Just buy a ton of bags then sell the duplicates, buy a few then get what you're missing off bricklink/eBay, or actually trade what you're missing with other goons or Lego forum people?

Probably not advisable in covid times (depending on where you are, of course) but I've always just felt the bags in the store to get the ones I want. It takes a bit of practice but isn't too bad. That said, I never want the entire set, just the few I'm interested in, and that makes it easier.

Another option is to just buy a whole unopened box. I'm not sure if you can do that off the Lego site (or Amazon or whatever) but some retailers will let you do that. From there you can cut open the bags, take a set for yourself and sell the rest.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

davebo posted:

So I've resisted all these blind bag sets so far, not wanting to get sucked into just minifig collecting, but this might do it. How do you all typically ensure you get everything in a wave? Just buy a ton of bags then sell the duplicates, buy a few then get what you're missing off bricklink/eBay, or actually trade what you're missing with other goons or Lego forum people?

having done some limited experimentation with the vidya minifigs, the answer seem to be 1:)find a box that just got opened and hasn't been distrubed 2:) buy one (of the two) entire columns of minifigs

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Next round of the designer crowdfunding program starts on November 9th

I was gonna order the Seasons in Time calendar but it’s $249 :stare: Guess I’ll just go for the aquarium

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Woof, that's... a pretty steep price jump for unofficial sets.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
The only one I'd maybe be interested in is the Bowling Alley but not for ~$300CAD. Happy to sit this one out.

When will we find out more about the next modular?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RatHat posted:

Next round of the designer crowdfunding program starts on November 9th

I was gonna order the Seasons in Time calendar but it’s $249 :stare: Guess I’ll just go for the aquarium

WTF. I wanted that, too. But $249 is nuts. I'd guess that most people would be happy with it if it ONLY had the calendar. The other stuff is extraneous and just bumps the piece count/price up. Sigh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

The only one I'd maybe be interested in is the Bowling Alley but not for ~$300CAD. Happy to sit this one out.

When will we find out more about the next modular?

In the next 5 weeks. Could be sooner, could be later. But no later than the beginning of Dec. IIRC, they have been announced as early as september and as late as, as I said, beginning of Dec.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Woof, that's... a pretty steep price jump for unofficial sets.

They aren't regular sets. It's a semi official offshoot thing bricklink does. The pricing doesn't really line up1:1 with something Lego is going to mass produce.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

They aren't regular sets. It's a semi official offshoot thing bricklink does. The pricing doesn't really line up1:1 with something Lego is going to mass produce.
Worth noting that the ADP stuff actually usually does punch in right around (or under) 10c PPP, which is definitely "fair" for LEGO products (and much less than you pay for Star Wars or City), but these are fan-designed builds and are not optimized or streamlined like LEGO sets are. They're usually more dense and liberal with detail and part usage.

That $250 calendar has over 3k pieces, for instance. the $230 bowling alley has about 2,800. The little $65 aquarium, despite its small size, has 874 pieces.

If you're looking at these for the density of the build and the quantity of parts, it'll feel pretty fair. If you do the Jang "volume of stuff you get" analysis, they look much worse.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 29, 2021

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

It's Friday, time to slay!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
For real though, those new Stuntz bikes are really well designed. I got one a while ago because the minifigure that came with it was cool but they zip around in a way that I would have absolutely loved as a kid. The flywheel mechanism is really well designed and engineered.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
There's some rumblings in a PAB/B&P Discord server I'm in about changes coming to the Bricks & Pieces program. Prices are being altered pretty regularly right now, and we may see about a 15% increase or so across the board due to the unprecedented rising popularity of the service and the greater amount of ABS they have to commit to it. Additionally, a manager mentioned during the recent AFOL day tour at Billund that large amounts of sub-$40 orders are really killing them, so they may have to implement a minimum order soon. Unsure how any of this relates to the "big change" coming to the B&P program soon, or if that's what it is.

Bun and I are streaming tonight! Gonna be a fun, irreverent one where we talk about the best sets of 2021. We welcome the discourse and angry disagreements. 35 mins out / 7PM Central!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My dad texted me asking if there’s a Lego Home Alone set, and I said yes, sending him the link. He asked if I was going to get it, and I replied not this year, but I would be getting Barracuda Bay, and sent him the link for that. He also likes that one :3:

Also, this moc microbuild castle was on Reddit and I love it.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

My dad texted me asking if there’s a Lego Home Alone set, and I said yes, sending him the link. He asked if I was going to get it, and I replied not this year, but I would be getting Barracuda Bay, and sent him the link for that. He also likes that one :3:

That's beautiful

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
"Oh this room? This is the room I use to photograph my Lego microbuilds." - that person, probably

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
With Buddha’s blessing, of course

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The_Doctor posted:

That is a genius use of the little claws for the cathedral style windows :3:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Wow, that mini castle is the kind of thing I want to make.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Love the Slave-1-style approach to the SNOT base.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

mother of god

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The_Doctor posted:

This looks like a render from a game who's art style really wins me over. I love it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Wow. That's incredible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got my last Bricklink order and finished my Vic. I have so much trouble taking nice pics of big builds. Feels like it looks way better in person :sigh: This'll work though. Still think they look allright after I put the spacey background in.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

veni veni veni posted:

I have so much trouble taking nice pics of big builds.

they look p' good to me. it might just be a matter of silencing that internal voice demanding 100% of the detail in every shot with the reasoning that you need at least 6 shots to get everything and that the human brain is surprisingly good filling in absent information based on the information that's present

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haha thanks. I think the thing that always drives me nuts is that I take them and they look a little to muddy, so I hit them with the sharpener (Lego totally does the same thing) but then it looks better but highlights every gap that looked smooth, every crooked tile. It's a tradeoff.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

veni veni veni posted:

Finally got my last Bricklink order and finished my Vic. I have so much trouble taking nice pics of big builds. Feels like it looks way better in person :sigh: This'll work though. Still think they look allright after I put the spacey background in.

drat that is really drat close to spot on! Excellent work!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

veni veni veni posted:

haha thanks. I think the thing that always drives me nuts is that I take them and they look a little to muddy, so I hit them with the sharpener (Lego totally does the same thing) but then it looks better but highlights every gap that looked smooth, every crooked tile. It's a tradeoff.

I'm no expert but a flashlight, maybe with a diffuser, or brighter background light (outdoor, natural sunlight if you can swing it) might make things pop in a little smoother way than post processing, you can also spotlight stuff. macro lenses are relatively cheap and plentiful if you want to max the other side of the curve and just make every condensation finger print on every brick a prominent detail. I found real quick that if I'm doing a diorama I need to make things in different layers different colors to be visually parsable, black is the worst offender in this regard which a major pain. that principle might carry over to vehicles and such where if you want something to stand out it needs to be a different color than what's around it, even if only by a subtle shade. (edit: looking over your tile work again, this might not really be possible without figuring out how to, like, dye white tiles because lol at finding a bunch of the trim stuff in anything other than white or grey.)

you're using a tripod, right? 'cause even the best autofocus will do a million times better on a stable platform, also using a remote shutter control removes a ton of jitter

e: you gonna build some options to go with it?

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 30, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks y'all

The Voice of Labor posted:

I'm no expert but a flashlight, maybe with a diffuser, or brighter background light (outdoor, natural sunlight if you can swing it) might make things pop in a little smoother way than post processing, you can also spotlight stuff. macro lenses are relatively cheap and plentiful if you want to max the other side of the curve and just make every condensation finger print on every brick a prominent detail. I found real quick that if I'm doing a diorama I need to make things in different layers different colors to be visually parsable, black is the worst offender in this regard which a major pain. that principle might carry over to vehicles and such where if you want something to stand out it needs to be a different color than what's around it, even if only by a subtle shade. (edit: looking over your tile work again, this might not really be possible without figuring out how to, like, dye white tiles because lol at finding a bunch of the trim stuff in anything other than white or grey.)

you're using a tripod, right? 'cause even the best autofocus will do a million times better on a stable platform, also using a remote shutter control removes a ton of jitter

e: you gonna build some options to go with it?

I don't mind the tile work showing. I tried to sort of imply the texture on the actual ship with it.
Sharpening just makes it pop a bit more than I want, but overall it's nbd I'm just OCD about it haha. I'm happy enough with the pics I should have probably just put more care into lighting.

Not sure what you mean by options. I was thinking about doing the little drones that float around the ship, but I was feeling thoroughly done with working on it, so this is probably it. The missiles come off easily. TBH I like how it looks better without them but I feel like they were too important to omit. They are pretty sloppy though. I didn't have many white cylinders. You can barely see them though and I was done making bricklink orders so I pretty much just called it good nuff.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
That's a great looking ship and, yeah, with a little more work on the lighting, it would look even better.

I finished the ISS a couple days ago and took these for fun. Single flash as the light source, nothing fancy.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muPNlnm_i44&t=28s A+ space ship.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

seravid posted:

That's a great looking ship and, yeah, with a little more work on the lighting, it would look even better.

I finished the ISS a couple days ago and took these for fun. Single flash as the light source, nothing fancy.

These are very pretty.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Does it seem like Lego isn’t really pushing the Titanic very hard since the initial reveal? It’s up for preorder tomorrow but there hasn’t been any advertising on the site. You can’t even find the product page unless you specifically search for it. I figured there would be some kind of GWP promo with it but I guess not?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Does it seem like Lego isn’t really pushing the Titanic very hard since the initial reveal? It’s up for preorder tomorrow but there hasn’t been any advertising on the site. You can’t even find the product page unless you specifically search for it. I figured there would be some kind of GWP promo with it but I guess not?

Needs the Lego Ice Cube Tray as the GWP

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's so huge and expensive I don't think there's much point in marketing it. You're either into the Titanic enough to buy that or you aren't.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
titanic set is only up on ebay platinum reserve, along with all their 3rd reich sets and the blockheadz head of keith moon set

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04282006

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Grand Fromage posted:

It's so huge and expensive I don't think there's much point in marketing it. You're either into the Titanic enough to buy that or you aren't.

Yeah most of the people who would buy a $650 Lego set already know about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Any other sickos thinking of buying the Titanic tomorrow? Waiting until Black Friday is tempting, but the way shipping is backed up worldwide I'm not sure I want to roll the dice on it actually being available at that time.