Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Oh cool we’re doing this in this thread too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

TK-42-1 posted:

It's a two month break between shows. Feel free to ignore the thread if it upsets you so much.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

ok yeah it’s just a bunch of people getting mad at something that’s not even part of the topic of this thread. and then we get all the way to:

aBagorn posted:

being non-binary is actually pretty great for that if you can deal with the utter garbage cis people

so yeah. this is because there’s a lull in the show. not the constant derails into gender issues that permeate everything regardless of relevance.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Why can't everyone just stop talking about race so I can read my comic books about mutants in peace?

-some guy in the 60s, probably

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Gender.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/213849618415484929?s=12

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Norman was doing crimes and being gay, things that we all love very much, and Spider-Man mocked him.

I hope he and his hot aunt are sucked into the sonyverse forever

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

TK-42-1 posted:

The best part of the argument ITT is its about something that didn't even happen in the show I'm talking about.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

so yeah. this is because there’s a lull in the show. not the constant derails into gender issues that permeate everything regardless of relevance.

I hope you'll be okay even though this has happened

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The best part of the argument ITT is its about something that didn't even happen in the show I'm talking about.

If there's anything I've learned from this discussion it's that just because YOU didn't experience it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The Assembled episode about What If…? is fascinating. I could watch Wright do that voice all day. Also looks like there’s more of Uatu and Captain Carter coming in season two.

Wish they’d spent a bit more time on how they got so many of the actors to reprise their roles. They talk about Boseman but that’s about it. Maybe they didn’t want to talk about those who didn’t want to/couldn’t find the time…

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I kinda liked how Uatu's plan worked out.

Also there is no way that version of Strange doesn't gently caress up at some point and everything gets loose again.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Jet Jaguar posted:

The Assembled episode about What If…? is fascinating. I could watch Wright do that voice all day. Also looks like there’s more of Uatu and Captain Carter coming in season two.

Wish they’d spent a bit more time on how they got so many of the actors to reprise their roles. They talk about Boseman but that’s about it. Maybe they didn’t want to talk about those who didn’t want to/couldn’t find the time…

It seems, at least with Bautista, that it was an issue with their agents. Disney said they made offers to everyone, Bautista said he never got an offer. Assuming you believe them both, its likely (and has a precedent) that an agent simply said no because the pay was minimal (despite it being like an hour of work) and the actors never got a chance to say yes or no.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Also there is no way that version of Strange doesn't gently caress up at some point and everything gets loose again.

If they do an episode where that happens then they'll basically have to tackle what to do with T'Challa as an animated character. I believe Disney have said they're not going to recast him in the live action MCU itself, but would they cast a new VA for him as an animated character? Or would they simply have him not speak, before disappearing?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Considering the current trend for women is baggy jeans (even cargos) and slim for men who cares if you carry a satchel, messenger bag, or whatever you need to tell yourself it is?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As an out queer man I genuinely feel like the thread insisting “purses are a gay guy thing!” is an order of magnitude more homophobic than the joke from the Spider-Man, lmao.

It’s not a matter of living in an urban environment or the sticks, not even the absolute swishiest gay guys wear purses, at least not in Philly or NYC or Baltimore or DC or Boston or San Francisco, purses are absolutely not a “gay” thing, and as far as I can tell have literally never been a part of our culture!

Spider-Man is making fun of man-purses because they are silly thing to wear! Men have wallets and we simply don’t have to carry as many objects in our day to day lives as most women do, so when a guy wears a purse it’s about making a statement and trying to stand out.

But whatever I guess it’s open to interpretation and if youre gay and feel like the comic is an attack on you and yours then I respect that and I’m sorry and I hope you know Soider-Man doesn’t hate you, I’m just saying that as a queer dude with a ton of queer friends, not even the absolute most flaming queens I’ve hung out with wear purses.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

tsob posted:

If they do an episode where that happens then they'll basically have to tackle what to do with T'Challa as an animated character. I believe Disney have said they're not going to recast him in the live action MCU itself, but would they cast a new VA for him as an animated character? Or would they simply have him not speak, before disappearing?

Not really? Nothing says Uatu has to call back the Guardians of the Galaxy version of T'Challa.

He could go get a "What if T'Chaka didn't kill N'Jobu, but instead brought him and his son back to Wakanda?" version of Killmonger and a "What if Arnim Zola never became a member of Hydra?" version of Zola to try to talk them down, have it backfire hilariously and then bring in somebody else to stop them.

What If...? is literally limitless with the weird poo poo they can pull.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Not really? Nothing says Uatu has to call back the Guardians of the Galaxy version of T'Challa.

He could go get a "What if T'Chaka didn't kill N'Jobu, but instead brought him and his son back to Wakanda?" version of Killmonger and a "What if Arnim Zola never became a member of Hydra?" version of Zola to try to talk them down, have it backfire hilariously and then bring in somebody else to stop them.

What If...? is literally limitless with the weird poo poo they can pull.

If their solution is "we're just not going to feature a T'Challa at all" then that still a solution, and makes it pretty clear there'll be no more T'Challa in even animated adaptions, because if he's going to appear in any further What If...? stuff, then it'd most likely be in works about a Killmonger he's already fought in the past.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It's already been established that the version of Killmonger we're talking about is never going to listen to any version of T'Challa, but he might listen to another version of himself.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

As an out queer man I genuinely feel like the thread insisting “purses are a gay guy thing!” is an order of magnitude more homophobic than the joke from the Spider-Man, lmao.

you've confused "purses are a gay guy thing" with what we were actually saying, which is "purses are a thing women carry and doing things women do is gay."

stupid homophobic poo poo is not required to have any connection in reality to actual things gay people do because the goal is not to accurately describe the gay experience, it's to police and reinforce the boundaries of straight masculinity. it's basically at a schoolyard bully level of sophistication, that doing anything associated with femininity is gay. source: i'm queer too

eke out fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 28, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

It's already been established that the version of Killmonger we're talking about is never going to listen to any version of T'Challa, but he might listen to another version of himself.

While this is true, it's still likely that if T'Challa was going to appear in any further entries it'd be in ones about that version of Killmonger, so not having him appear at all seems like it'd be a decision just to not use T'Challa at all within even animated works.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

eke out posted:

you've confused "purses are a gay guy thing" with what we were actually saying, which is "purses are a thing women carry and doing things women do is gay."

stupid homophobic poo poo is not required to have any connection in reality to actual things gay people do because the goal is not to accurately describe the gay experience, it's to police and reinforce the boundaries of straight masculinity. it's basically at a schoolyard bully level of sophistication, that doing anything associated with femininity is gay. source: i'm queer too

I dunno, maybe the fact that Spider-Man is wearing a skintight spandex body suit while delivering this sexist, homophobic own is pretty important to the context, then. The idea that a guy who spends his entire life letting the wind tickle his ball bag as he flies through the air in his long underwear would somehow be an arbiter of masculinity is absurd.

Making fun of the purse is silly because both of them are grown men in silly spandex monster costumes beating the dogshit out of each other. The guy in the red & blue spider costume does not look less patently ridiculous than the geriatric in the green goblin monster costume just because he isnt also wearing a genderfluid carry all (for his BOMBS!). Spider-Man making fun of the purse is the pot calling the kettle gay black.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I apologize for even mentioning that page. Holy poo poo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

A.o.D. posted:

It’s too late, you summoned the comic book gays, we’re ferocious and distempered

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

How is the phrase "man purse" not a gendered insult again?

Also, sorry for interrupting the seventh discussion about how we could save the handsome killmonger if we just had the chance.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

I’m never going to forgive you. I’m updating forums_grudes.xlsx as we speak.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

kazil posted:

How is the phrase "man purse" not a gendered insult again?

Also, sorry for interrupting the seventh discussion about how we could save the handsome killmonger if we just had the chance.

It is a gendered insult, which is why it’s ridiculous but typical for men to center their own feelings of persecution about it.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Quite frankly men need to embrace a bag.

The amount of beautifully cut trousers or even nice jeans I see with the lines absolutely ruined by a stuffed in the pocket wallet or giant phone is quite upsetting aesthetically.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Go full schlub and just embrace cargo pants/shorts

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

A.o.D. posted:

Go full schlub and just embrace cargo pants/shorts

This is why Miles Morales is the Spider-Man we need right now. He’s like 50 years old and web-swinging in cargo shorts and a big hoodie and sneakers. What a legend

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
okay but hear me out

What If...

pouchespouchespouches

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bust Rodd posted:

This is why Miles Morales is the Spider-Man we need right now. He’s like 50 years old and web-swinging in cargo shorts and a big hoodie and sneakers. What a legend

I will say that Miles and the other Spider-people are horribly under-utilized in the show I'm talking about.

They're around, but whenever they do show up they do like, one thing to help Spider-man out and then they gently caress off and go back to school even if he's literally in the middle of a fight with a villain (unless he's unconscious, then they carry him around until he wakes up while exchanging barbs with the villains).

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Late Unpleasantness posted:

okay but hear me out

What If...

pouchespouchespouches

1000 pouches, a big gun, and really teensy-tiny feets.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

1000 pouches, a big gun, and really teensy-tiny feets.

Gotta hide those ankles with a random passing convenient hillock.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Gotta hide those ankles with a random passing convenient hillock.

Every day has extremely low-level fog.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'd tell you my backstory but it's all mysterious and poo poo.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Bust Rodd posted:

I dunno, maybe the fact that Spider-Man is wearing a skintight spandex body suit while delivering this sexist, homophobic own is pretty important to the context, then. The idea that a guy who spends his entire life letting the wind tickle his ball bag as he flies through the air in his long underwear would somehow be an arbiter of masculinity is absurd.

Making fun of the purse is silly because both of them are grown men in silly spandex monster costumes beating the dogshit out of each other. The guy in the red & blue spider costume does not look less patently ridiculous than the geriatric in the green goblin monster costume just because he isnt also wearing a genderfluid carry all (for his BOMBS!). Spider-Man making fun of the purse is the pot calling the kettle gay black.
This is a lot of wordy metatextual back-bending to turn "you dress like a girl, neener neener neener" into something different than it is.

The insult is absurd, yes. The whole situation is absurd. And, indeed, the very absurdity helps sell the moment: Peter knows it's a childish lovely insult, Norman knows it's a childish lovely insult, and both of them know that only the real Spider-Man would say it. It's very coherent, memorable writing.

Which doesn't change the fact that the absurd, childish, lovely insult in question is kinda #problematic for reasons that have been explained at length.

It's really not the end of the world -- worse things get printed in these books (even this specific book) all the time -- but it's also not worth the gymnastics people go through to salvage it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Everyone shut up and watch this new Hawkeye commercial: https://youtu.be/oLP3gEEYaf0

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I didn't realize we were getting Ernest Saves Christmas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

As an out queer man I genuinely feel like the thread insisting “purses are a gay guy thing!”
Well I have a very simple response:

Nobody did that.