Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ExecuDork posted:

It will be a while yet before we get one, but my wife and I are lusting after the new generation of Suzuki Jimny. The local Mazda dealership took over the Suzuki contract from the Holden dealership around the corner about a year ago. On my way home from some errands this morning I spotted the blue one and wandered over to just admire. I love the 80's-style stripes on the beige one. We're planning on buying one in the yellow-green (seen in poster in background) as soon as we can, which requires either we have enough cash to just buy one outright (about $34K AUD) or our permanent visa finally gets approved (processing time: 11 to 14 months, we applied in August) allowing us to arrange financing. Loans are not a thing on a bridging visa.

A pair of Jimnys by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Anyway, just thought I'd share the loveliness with you folks. Australia is overrun with white cars (for reasons I understand but I still find it horribly boring), I'm really happy to see Suzuki - and Mazda, for that matter - keeps colouring their products well.

I saw two identical Jimnys parked next to each other in Iceland, and spent the rest of the day trying to convince my wife that we needed his-and-hers matching Jimnys. (the fact that they're not sold in the US notwithstanding)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

As I found out when I put Bilsteins on my previous ride, shock boots aren't really a thing anymore. The seal around the shock shaft is good enough that it doesn't need it and the shock shafts are strong enough to take direct hits from rocks and such. However, a shock boot can trap dirt & water against the shock seal and ruin it.

it makes sense, but i was a little disappointed. I thought I was getting shock boots as well :shrug:

I've read that too, but the 5160s I got for the rear did come with them. I guess they're more in the danger zone?

I believe the 5100s for the front also come with boots.

I guess if it needed them, Bilstein would include it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Safety Dance posted:

his-and-hers matching Jimnys. (the fact that they're not sold in the US notwithstanding)

This just makes it even more special :love:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

ryanrs posted:

Does your country disallow specific dumb things, or are all modifications forbidden unless approved, etc? Can you get your plans approved by an engineer or some kind of govt vehicle inspector?

As ever, my car modifications are sensible and functional, but those other guys are crazy and cross the line.

I lived in Canada and the USA and it depends.

In Canada I know there was a few bro-dozers that got into accidents where they killed other drivers due to mis-matched bumper height and as such some provinces put the kibosh on lift kits. I know some Atlantic provinces really check how the lift kit is done, eg, it has to pass some sort of engineering/inspection check, not just "hockey pucks" as spacers sort of deal. New Brunswick I think has no oversized tires past OEM spec or something like that.

US I only had to deal with California and Texas. California doesn't give two shits what you drive as long as it passes emissions, that's all they inspect. As for roadside enforcement, cops only seem to care about wheel/tire offset as long as it's covered by a fender/splashguard/mud flap you are ok, but if you got huge tires sticking out from the fender you are cruising for a "fix it" ticket.

Texas has inspections, generally emissions and making sure your horn/lights work and the vehicle brakes work and that's it, but they will jump on 4x4 owners if they don't have a 3rd brake light, they keep an eye out for certain year wranglers that swap in non stock wheels. Basically if the factory light is blocked or is removed because of an aftermarket mod they will flunk the jeep, but there are plenty of affordable aftermarket options to fix that.

They tried to ping my H1 with that which was odd since the H1 was never required to have a 3rd brake light [Class III Truck via the US DOT], so I had to explain that, and they had a guy check the rulebook and yeah my truck was exempt from the 3rd brake light.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

FogHelmut posted:

I've read that too, but the 5160s I got for the rear did come with them. I guess they're more in the danger zone?

I believe the 5100s for the front also come with boots.

I guess if it needed them, Bilstein would include it.

Weird, I just put 6112s and 5160s on and neither came with boots. Maybe it makes more sense since the shaft is positioned on the bottom when installed so any water wouldn't be pooling on top of the seal. Still doesn't explain why I didn't get boots with the rear though...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I threw away the boots that came with my adjustable Ranchos, I wouldn't worry about it

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Weird, I just put 6112s and 5160s on and neither came with boots. Maybe it makes more sense since the shaft is positioned on the bottom when installed so any water wouldn't be pooling on top of the seal. Still doesn't explain why I didn't get boots with the rear though...

Maybe it depends on the application? These are for a Chevy Colorado.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

FogHelmut posted:

Maybe it depends on the application? These are for a Chevy Colorado.

Could be, mine are on a 3rd gen Tacoma but I don't think I told them that when I ordered. They seem great so far, hope you enjoy em!

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Couple of vidyas of the samurai doing it's thing. As you can see I didn't have time to get the lockers installed prior to the trip. I have a spare front housing that's loaded with a spartan locker and RCVs that's just about ready to go, but I didn't want a rush job and forget something. Plus it was fun seeing how it did with manual steering, open/open with just the suspension, tires, cage and tcase gears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1vNiyHJQFM

^^ lost a mirror and got a few new dents, but all good otherwise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7PHva5Je4g

With the manual steering it was really difficult to do anything in the rocks; it was more like point, floor it, hope for the best, hold on for dear life. I would have had less trouble on both of these trails were it dry, but I can't wait to get back out there again with the lockers and power steering installed and walk everything.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Paulie posted:

Couple of vidyas of the samurai doing it's thing. As you can see I didn't have time to get the lockers installed prior to the trip. I have a spare front housing that's loaded with a spartan locker and RCVs that's just about ready to go, but I didn't want a rush job and forget something. Plus it was fun seeing how it did with manual steering, open/open with just the suspension, tires, cage and tcase gears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1vNiyHJQFM

^^ lost a mirror and got a few new dents, but all good otherwise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7PHva5Je4g

With the manual steering it was really difficult to do anything in the rocks; it was more like point, floor it, hope for the best, hold on for dear life. I would have had less trouble on both of these trails were it dry, but I can't wait to get back out there again with the lockers and power steering installed and walk everything.

:perfect: This is fantastic, thank you. Its nice seeing liberal application of the long pedal to overcome obstacles :kiss:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That self-righting flop :discourse:

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

:911: I'm usually a bit more of a 'tread lightly' driver, but judicious application of the party pedal is pretty much the only way it was getting anywhere with open diffs.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I just got a JDM Pajero IO imported to Canada and the dealer put a 2" spacer lift on it. I'm getting a rubbing sound under braking but I can't see anywhere the tires might be rubbing. It's still on stock size tires. What else could it be?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

flexing the new bones on the new shoes with a much more prepared pal in case something were to go awry

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pretty disappointed, I set the Bilstein 6112s to the 2" setting according to the instructions they provided, and ended up with 1.25". Guess I'm going to have to do it again.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have a lot of questions but "Tacomas are friends not food" and "locals only gently caress out" are especially ???

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's a strong sentiment in AZ that all the people who are moving here from CA (which has been happening in significant numbers for at least the past 30 years!) are trying to turn Arizona into "commiefornia".

95% odds this person moved to AZ too, because next to loving nobody is from here.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

MomJeans420 posted:

I have a lot of questions but "Tacomas are friends not food" and "locals only gently caress out" are especially ???

They seem very secure in their masculinity and not at all teetering on the edge of a breakdown as soon as they get in a fender bender with a jeep.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Atticus_1354 posted:

They seem very secure in their masculinity and not at all teetering on the edge of a breakdown as soon as they get in a fender bender with a jeep.

Especially in what looks like a mostly stock 4th gen with a cheap roof rack.

Spotted this on a 5th gen the other day and it made me lol.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I thought it was the first gen 4runner dudes who hated Jeeps like that. Guess I'm old.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

highme posted:

Spotted this on a 5th gen the other day and it made me lol.

Need to see more of the vehicle to know if he put that sticker there himself.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ryanrs posted:

Need to see more of the vehicle to know if he put that sticker there himself.

It was just a stock 5th Gen, though they did have an annual Oregon off road permit in the other corner.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Whats yall's opinions on soft shackles?
Are they good? Bad?
I've been slowly acquiring some recovery gear (in the hopes I'll never have to use it of course) and I got a bunch of steel shackles, which I'm sure will work fine, but they're heavy as hell too. I thought I'd pick up a few of these to supplement them since they seem to weigh about nothing.

I've got a rubbermaid container with some straps of varying lengths and they all weigh nothing. Then with the steel shackles, it suddenly weighs like 5 times more!

So uhhh, yeah. Are they worth the money for anything besides weighing less?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

wesleywillis posted:

Are they good? Bad?
I've been slowly acquiring some recovery gear (in the hopes I'll never have to use it of course) and I got a bunch of steel shackles, which I'm sure will work fine, but they're heavy as hell too. I thought I'd pick up a few of these to supplement them since they seem to weigh about nothing.

I've got a rubbermaid container with some straps of varying lengths and they all weigh nothing. Then with the steel shackles, it suddenly weighs like 5 times more!

I'm not an off road guy, but Matt's Offroad Recoveries on YT uses soft shackles on drat near every job. He beats the hell out of them and keeps using them so I figure they're probably worth the scratch.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah I quite like my soft shackles. They're lighter but also they can be easier to hook up on some recovery points where a steel shackle can be difficult to finagle into alignment. They may be better for situations where you're not able to snatch in an exactly straight line because the shackle can pivot in the recovery point but maybe not. And it's probably not a major thing but I definitely prefer using them wherever possible just to minimise the possibility of having a steel projectile whizzing around if something lets go. All in all I'd definitely keep some in the recovery kit.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Are they good? Bad?

I got to use mine recently and was very pleased with the results. I will still carry bow shackles for attaching to the recovery points on my vehicle but plan to use soft shackles whenever possible especially in the middle of a rig where there is a potential for lines to part and snap back.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I finally have real recovery points now that my CBI bumper is installed, and I picked up some bow shackles. The rest of my recovery gear was given to me by my brother and probably fairly old, I'd guess roughly 15 years old. Unfortunately it's in a box that is kind of a pain in the rear end for me to access right now, but I know there was at least a hitch mounted shackle and a 30' strap of some sorts in there. Is that strap old enough that I wouldn't want to bother with it? It was stored nicely folded up and looked decently clean if I remember correctly. The hitch mounted shackle is probably worth getting out either way, but I'm looking to go to the off-road park in the very near future and I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and preemptively buy a new strap (or maybe a kinetic rope is better).

I'd just go out and buy some soft shackles and kinetic rope right now either way except for the fact that I'm horrible to shop for so I figured ideally I'd just ask for recovery gear for xmas and save myself the cash. I'm sure someone else at the park will a strap or a rope if needed, but I hate to be that guy who shows up both unprepared and with no idea what he's doing.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'd strongly consider replacing it.

Strap vs Kinetic - what kind of wheeling are you doing? Straps are great for pulling a bit more precisely (get it tensioned, then pull against it at a creep or at full-throttle, whatever is appropriate) and without a run-up, kinetic ropes will give you an advantage in pure pulling power, which you'll need if something is stuck - i.e., mud, sand. You should never "yank" (i.e., run up to speed before getting to the end) a non-kinetic.

Personally, I've always used straps, but I also tend to have enough traction to pull at a creep, and I don't really play in sand.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

There are some good articles here for various offroading things.
For the veterans here it might be old news, but for a noob like me I've found a bunch of them to be pretty informative.

E: Better link

https://www.4wheelparts.com/the-dirt/how-to-use-and-choose-a-recovery-strap/

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 2, 2021

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

One thing with soft shackles is NEVER use them with a sharp edged recovery point unless they have a protective sleeve on them- They'll get cut by the edge of the steel and can fail prematurely- They need rounded edges. Even then they can get damaged.

Thats what i mean by a sharp edged point- its just cut and not rounded off at all.

Vs those ones that have had a radius put onto the openings, means you dont point load the soft shackle. With those sharp edges ones you really need to use a steel bow shackle with them.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Krakkles posted:

I'd strongly consider replacing it.

Strap vs Kinetic - what kind of wheeling are you doing? Straps are great for pulling a bit more precisely (get it tensioned, then pull against it at a creep or at full-throttle, whatever is appropriate) and without a run-up, kinetic ropes will give you an advantage in pure pulling power, which you'll need if something is stuck - i.e., mud, sand. You should never "yank" (i.e., run up to speed before getting to the end) a non-kinetic.

Personally, I've always used straps, but I also tend to have enough traction to pull at a creep, and I don't really play in sand.

That's a good point, sounds like a strap is better for me as I don't anticipate being at the beach or stuck in sand, just the usual mountain roads and nothing too crazy. I know it may not always be avoidable depending on how long a road trip I'm on, but I'm going to do my best to avoid mud in nothing else to avoid the cleanup.

I had never considered you could just throw a soft shackle up inside your receiver and add the pin, I guess I don't really need my hitch mounted recovery point.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 2, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought the problem with using just the pin like that is the risk of bending the pin, since you're now loading it in the center instead of right next to where it's supported by the receiver.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought the problem with using just the pin like that is the risk of bending the pin, since you're now loading it in the center instead of right next to where it's supported by the receiver.
You're not wrong, but if you're stuck, you're stuck. Unless I had a trailer nearby that needed to be towed after I get pulled out, I wouldn't worry.
One could also put the soft shackle around the bar that the receiver is mounted to.

Ferremit posted:

One thing with soft shackles is NEVER use them with a sharp edged recovery point unless they have a protective sleeve on them- They'll get cut by the edge of the steel and can fail prematurely- They need rounded edges. Even then they can get damaged.

Thats what i mean by a sharp edged point- its just cut and not rounded off at all.

Vs those ones that have had a radius put onto the openings, means you dont point load the soft shackle. With those sharp edges ones you really need to use a steel bow shackle with them.

Funny enough, like 5 minutes before I saw your post, I watched a youtube vid about Stock recovery points vs bolt on aftermarket ones like the ones in the pics you posted. Came from Oz too. I never really thought that such a thing would be an issue (the recovery points, not the sharp edges).

Definitely good points though. I've made poo poo before out of metal that ropes feed through and I've always made sure to chamfer the edges to make things less slicey for the ropes.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's a good point, especially since I already have a hitch mounted recovery point anyway.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Standard hitch pin is 5/8" steel, which is really quite sturdy. You probably could bend it if you tried very hard with a very heavy vehicle, but I wouldn't worry for a normal recovery.

(This came into play with designing the Offroad Sienna's front bumper. I wanted to put a receiver hitch on the front for recovery stuff / possible winch mounting. In the end the fabrication shop and I both decided that the receiver was making promises that the 6x M10 mounting studs could not keep. I deleted the receiver tube so that nobody would get the wrong idea.)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://www.etrailer.com/question-340825.html

quote:

For reference you can look at a grade 8 bolt that is 5/8 inch diameter and the tensile strength is 150,000 lbs per square inch. The ultimate sheer strength is typically about 60% of the tension strength, putting that sheer strength at about 90,000 lbs.

Grade 5 5/8 is 22,000 lb shear.

I doubt its bending. Also you're shearing against two contact points on the hitch receiver, so its probably double maybe I'm not an engineer.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Uhkmvif8U

I'm going to attempt the trail to McIver's Cabin this weekend, if the weather is dry. I've tried once before, but had to abort because I encountered a disabled vehicle that was abandoned, totally blocking the trail. I'd guess I have a 50/50 chance of getting to the cabin in my FWD Sienna minivan.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Found a sweet camping spot for the weekend off of a trail. Got to see a metric shitload of jeeps and a couple new broncos drive by. Probably need neither if my rigs big rear end can make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi74uNEaAzw

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Was sitting at the top of Maple Springs where it meets Main Divide road doing a shakedown run since I installed the Bilsteins and am driving to Flagstaff and Sedona Thanksgiving week, and a Rivian drove up. The guy works at the HQ in Irvine and was testing it out. He said it was his first time driving off road, then he casually went over an obstacle that a lifted Tacoma and Silverado Trail Boss were having issues with.

Anyway, I think something is clunking with my sway bar. Everything else was torqued correctly. I really hope it's not a ball joint with the new angles, but I'm pretty sure it's the sway bar. Everything I read said just eyeball it? I should have got the longer end links instead of the drop bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Soft shackle chat: they are not terribly difficult to make, especially when you’re using fatty 1/2” line. https://www.animatedknots.com/soft-shackle

Line generally doesn’t want to bend in a radius less than its diameter. Bending a 1/2” soft shackle around a hole in a piece of 1/4” plate, even if its nice and smooth, is going to rob you of a lot of the line’s strength.

Chafe (thus heat) is also a real killer of dyneema/spectra line, it has a rather low melting temperature.