Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

pik_d posted:

Yeah check the far left text

No wonder they couldn't figure out how to use the ship, LCARS still has all its buttons labeled with numbers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also I doubt the magic science com badge lets any of them READ the controls

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

That kid's rat tail is grossing me out.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

"Jenkem can fix anything."

-Star Trek Prodigy

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's hard to tell for sure since it's animation, but Holojaneway looks pretty young. Maybe she participated in the experimental holographic training simulator before she took command of Voyager. She was a science officer after all. Once they have her scans and voice recordings they could continue to work on the project even after she moved on.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's hard to tell for sure since it's animation, but Holojaneway looks pretty young. Maybe she participated in the experimental holographic training simulator before she took command of Voyager. She was a science officer after all. Once they have her scans and voice recordings they could continue to work on the project even after she moved on.

Ah the Janeway Memorial Hologram when they thought Voyager was lost at sea.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I do hope they encounter that copy of The Doctor that got left behind in the Delta Quadrant and the two holo people can chat it up.
Y'know, if the Backup Doctor left a long time after his last scene in 'Living Witness' (as stated) and didn't have a particularly fast ship, he should be arriving back in the Alpha Quadrant right about the time the Discovery-A is heading out to do stuff...

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm thinking this was a ship launched after Voyager was lost but before contact was reestablished which is why the hologram looks to be based on Janeway's early seasons appearance and is in the older uniform. The ship registry is maybe in a close enough range as well but those aren't always reliable measures for time.

More specifically, the Protostar could be a new engine testbed Starfleet threw together and launched to go link up with Voyager after the Doctor let them know they were still alive. Kinda like the Dauntless, but not a fake. Or it could just be a one-off prototype that got lost due to a malfunction of its own engines. Starfleet historically has bad luck with new engine prototypes and even their normal ships are constantly falling into weird holes and getting lost.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I found the show better than Picard but worse than LDS.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm unclear on the villain's plan. He's mining the asteroid to find the ship, harvesting and selling glowy rocks is just how he funds the project. It's expensive to buy so many slaves, and feed them, and have hundreds of perfectly obedient robot enforcers to keep them on task.

Wait, what are the slaves for again? He has hundreds of very strong, fast, agile robots. Why not have the robots do the tunneling?

Why is the exploration going so slowly? Do they have to mining out all the glow rods before they can tunnel through to the next chamber? If you are in an area that has lots of shards but no spaceship, why would you not just keep going? Why have most of your workforce in areas you know for a fact do not contain spaceships?

I guess it needed to work that way for the show to happen. If they had been mining out man-sized access tunnels instead of giant shafts then the ship wouldn't have been able to fly out at the end.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The robots seem dumb enough they'd damage the ship as they were shooting at it despite being told not to, I would guess they can use that as a reason why they don't drill. Most likely they are robots because is it isn't murder if our child heroes kill robots, roger roger.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Based on Holo Janeway, and the premise of the show, I think this is a training ship that somehow ended up in the Delta Quadrant. Though its way to early to speculate, and I doubt that this being a kids show they will take a long time to explain what is exactly going on.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Why would a training ship have some sort of incredibly sophisticated (or even different than normal) warp mechanism?

Like I can see how you'd make an experimental ship for that, yeah, but I have no clue why you'd put a crew of cadets on it. That'd be like making the LHC at CERN and populating it entirely with undergraduates.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah we saw the registry, it's NX, so it's experimental whatever it is.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Guessing even Holoway herself is an experimental program, tossed on this ship with all the other experiments.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean if it was a 1st gen experimental ship that went fine, they could of then put the design into production with a few improvements based off what they learnt. After you have better designed ships rolling out, giving the experimental one to cadets to practice on doesn't seem the worst idea if it similar just maybe a bit less refined.

I mean with the timeline that's still pretty tight though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Aces High posted:

It's on the base subscription of Crave (as well as a whooooooole lot of HBOMax exclusives that weren't there yesterday :shepface:) so if you've got Crave it's there.

If it's Star Trek (but not a movie) then it's on Crave in Canada

also on CTV/SciFi if you have that but not Crave

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know it's only one episode in and it's a show aimed for kids, but the engineering guy who does the opposite of what you tell him is a gimmick that could get really old really quickly.

ashpanash posted:

Why would a training ship have some sort of incredibly sophisticated (or even different than normal) warp mechanism?

Like I can see how you'd make an experimental ship for that, yeah, but I have no clue why you'd put a crew of cadets on it. That'd be like making the LHC at CERN and populating it entirely with undergraduates.

Time fuckery.

Ship travelled back in time from the future, the big bad guy is the last surviving cadet who really just wants to go home and needs a ship that can invert the tachyon field in its phase array, etc.

Option (b) Federation ships have always had the best medical tech and he needs it to be cured of whatever kept him in the soup can all those years.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

dr_rat posted:

I mean if it was a 1st gen experimental ship that went fine, they could of then put the design into production with a few improvements based off what they learnt.

Ok, I have three comments and I'm sorry they're not really related to Star Trek or even this thread.

1: I'm sorry dr_rat, I do not mean this as an indictment upon who you are or what you know, more an indictment upon the educational system that inflicted this upon you. Seriously. I do not blame you at all.

2: I recognize that language evolves and despite my (or anyone else's) beliefs or rigid foundationalism regarding its use, it will change. It will change in ways that I 'approve' of and that I 'disapprove' of, and I have no control over that. And that applies to my own usage, too.

3: Oof.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Learnt is correct UK English, anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It could be a prototype training ship. A ship that's advanced that helps young officers learn the latest star fleet techs with a holo captain that helps them when they run into trouble doesn't sound to far out for starfleet. Maybe this is something O'Brien built in his spare time.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

It could be a prototype training ship. A ship that's advanced that helps young officers learn the latest star fleet techs with a holo captain that helps them when they run into trouble doesn't sound to far out for starfleet. Maybe this is something O'Brien built in his spare time.

That would be, like, what a simulator is for? There's a reason that organizations recruit test pilots, and it's not because cadets are the best at dealing with situations that don't normally occur.

I want to be clear that it's only a problem with the show if they don't ever address it. One episode in it's just speculation at this point.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 30, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm unclear on the villain's plan. He's mining the asteroid to find the ship, harvesting and selling glowy rocks is just how he funds the project. It's expensive to buy so many slaves, and feed them, and have hundreds of perfectly obedient robot enforcers to keep them on task.

Wait, what are the slaves for again? He has hundreds of very strong, fast, agile robots. Why not have the robots do the tunneling?

Why is the exploration going so slowly? Do they have to mining out all the glow rods before they can tunnel through to the next chamber? If you are in an area that has lots of shards but no spaceship, why would you not just keep going? Why have most of your workforce in areas you know for a fact do not contain spaceships?

I guess it needed to work that way for the show to happen. If they had been mining out man-sized access tunnels instead of giant shafts then the ship wouldn't have been able to fly out at the end.

Maybe the fact that he has a ridiculous percentage of Alpha Quadrant species in his mining operation has something to do with his search for an alpha quadrant ship? I dunno. I'm hoping there's a good reason beyond "we wanted to use species Trek fans are familiar with".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I saw it suggested that he gathered all of Caretaker's cast-offs as part of an obsession with the Alpha Quadrant. There are some familiar languages that the diviner kid is studying too (klingon and cardiassian were in there, I think)

People complaining about how it's more Star Wars than Star Trek seems a little early given that holojaneway doesn't show up until the last ten seconds, presumably she's there to teach the kids how to be good Star Trekkers.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 30, 2021

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

MikeJF posted:

People complaining about how it's more Star Wars than Star Trek seems a little early given that holojaneway doesn't show up until the last ten seconds, presumably she's there to teach the kids how to be good Star Trekkers.

It's not a complaint. I'm just going to keep an eye out for laser swords and telekinesis. It feels like this was originally pitched as a Star Wars show and then they "Is Pepsi okay?"-ed it into a Star Trek.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek should be big enough to have Star Wars in it. It's so much more of an open book.

Don't think media companies like CBS haven't got a clue what Marvel is doing. (The question is, can they execute like Marvel can? If not (spoiler: not) is it sustainable?) I would not be surprised if Mike McMahon gets a lot of producing credits on future projects, sort of like Favreau and Gunn for Marvel.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GoodAaron/status/1454098150738694151?s=20

They're likely only 30K from Earth so that's maybe 30-60 years of travel. Might be a few AQ species that have had colonies. A few might have been abducted (like The '37s, or Terralysium)

Could be that we're seeing the equivalent of unlucky explorers like the Hansens or maybe religious klingon zealots.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ashpanash posted:

Ok, I have three comments and I'm sorry they're not really related to Star Trek or even this thread.

1: I'm sorry dr_rat, I do not mean this as an indictment upon who you are or what you know, more an indictment upon the educational system that inflicted this upon you. Seriously. I do not blame you at all.

2: I recognize that language evolves and despite my (or anyone else's) beliefs or rigid foundationalism regarding its use, it will change. It will change in ways that I 'approve' of and that I 'disapprove' of, and I have no control over that. And that applies to my own usage, too.

3: Oof.

I'll never stop drunkenly ramblin' 'bout star treck, and you shan't stop me. :colbert:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

dr_rat posted:

I'll never stop drunkenly ramblin' 'bout star treck, and you shan't stop me. :colbert:

In that case, continue! :cheers:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So which member of the design team has the eye fetish?

There were waaaayyy too many insanely detailed close-ups of Progeny's eyes for 45 minutes of show.

Apart from that, it felt like a an episode of one of the Star Wars cartoons. And I most certainly do not mean that in any negative way.

The eye thing is, for some reason, present all across New Trek. I don't think anybody knows why.

And yes, I also got a bit of a Star Wars feel too--I think it was the robots, but that wasn't a bad thing for me either. I don't think this will be my favorite but it's clearly a high quality production.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In terms of 'animated Trek showing a lot more Trek history research than the live-action shows'.

(look at 'speed up to vmax')

TNG tech manual:

Also, I really like the way they've done the holographic LCARS as 'opaque and physically solid over the consoles, but there are small UI elements that extend beyond '.

It's so much more usable than the holographic interfaces of Star Trek Picard where you vaguely gesture at thin unreadable transparent floating lines.

https://i.imgur.com/roUvn7r.mp4

And there's a really neat effect where it's semitransparent from behind but opaque from the front, so they can still do cool through-shots. It's super well thought out.

I do wish they didn't fall into the ALL FUTURE COMPUTERS MUST BE BLUE thing though.

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's not a complaint. I'm just going to keep an eye out for laser swords and telekinesis. It feels like this was originally pitched as a Star Wars show and then they "Is Pepsi okay?"-ed it into a Star Trek.

People were suggesting that with the early cast list, but watching the episode actually stopped that doubt for me with things like Zero turning out to be Medusan. (And apparently Murf being a deep cut reference.). And there's a baked in mystery about these alpha quadrant species. And also from twitter the writer is clearly a massive trek nerd.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 30, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They gave out a coloring book with these in it, which I can't help but feel like was a friendly swipe at the nerds like me who are all YES ORTHO VIEWS. :):

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol it's the Orville with nacelles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mentioned this before but it's wierdly similar to the very old (like 12 years old now? Launch-era) emissary star cruiser from Star Trek Online, to the point where I'm wondering if they referenced the same concept art. Especially when the nacelles are angled down (they move, they're down in the second image here). Like, it's got the same saucer shape, same quite distinctive 'ridge' down the middle, same nacelles with same diagonal neon highlight down it, similar deflector, the saucer even has a feature in the same place as the windows on the edge of the protostar saucer.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 30, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interesting, the head writer pointed out on twitter that the Window of Souls nebula mentioned in this episode as being next to the mine is actually mentioned in Voyager 7x07. So they're right at the end of Voyager's flight path, near the Delta/Beta border.

There goes the 'caretaker' theory for all the alpha quadrant species, they're closer to the Federation than they are to Ocampa.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Then that Kazon is a long way from home. They were mostly in the early seasons of Voyager.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tars Tarkas posted:

Seemed cool to me, hope that wasn't poor Morn. Very Star Wars is right but so was the first season of Discovery season 3, sometimes you need a little franchise melt to better define why yours is the way it is. Characters less annoying than I thought and looking forward to Hologram Janeway renewing her reign of terror in the Delta Quadrant.

I think some of what is connecting to Star Wars here is, the first 15 minutes of the episode is also the first 15 minutes or so of Jedi: Fallen Order gameplay. Both the action and the aesthetics have a lot in common with that game.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The ship doesn't have a traditional main deflector, does it?

It's it that curved sliver of light I guess?

mllaneza posted:

I think some of what is connecting to Star Wars here is, the first 15 minutes of the episode is also the first 15 minutes or so of Jedi: Fallen Order gameplay. Both the action and the aesthetics have a lot in common with that game.

That's.... not going to be relevant to most people.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

MikeJF posted:

I mentioned this before but it's wierdly similar to the very old (like 12 years old now? Launch-era) emissary star cruiser from Star Trek Online, to the point where I'm wondering if they referenced the same concept art. Especially when the nacelles are angled down (they move, they're down in the second image here). Like, it's got the same saucer shape, same quite distinctive 'ridge' down the middle, same nacelles with same diagonal neon highlight down it, similar deflector, the saucer even has a feature in the same place as the windows on the edge of the protostar saucer.

I thought the Protostar looked vaguely familiar, and now I know why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The Bloop posted:

That's.... not going to be relevant to most people.

It was one of the most popular games of that year and the demographic of people who play Star Wars games and watch cg sci-fi cartoons is nearly identical.