Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they should shoot michael myers into space and have him kill astronauts or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I don't know how I feel about sarcastic merch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3nvCfgniRg

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The witch is not grinding up the infant to use as lube to masturbate. The mere fact that a goon is claiming that a woman needs lube to masturbate explains everything

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MrMojok posted:

The witch is not grinding up the infant to use as lube to masturbate. The mere fact that a goon is claiming that a woman needs lube to masturbate explains everything

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m glad I skipped the RLM review where they poo poo on it for 45 minutes. That sounds as bad as people thought kills was

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I’m glad I skipped the RLM review where they poo poo on it for 45 minutes. That sounds as bad as people thought kills was

So I generally like RLM and they make some fair points about Halloween Kills, but...

They literally make up a political statement that the movie isn't making, poo poo on the movie for making it, admit they made it up, then continue making GBS threads on the movie for it.

Mike's, "How I woulda' done it" is literally just the plot to Halloween 2

They also inconsistently say it's the same ol' poo poo but they should have done something different.

It's kind of a poo poo review.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Halloween Kills is turning us

into monsters

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like RLM but I hate half in the bag because I think they’re really poo poo movie critics. They don’t look at what a film is but what they wanted it to be or thought it was.

I stick with best of the worst and review. Much better content imo.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Halloween Kills is turning us

into monsters

Evil dies tonight

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

MrMojok posted:

lmaoooooooooo ya’ll are too drat much. I knew lube as hyperbole tripped ya’ll up. i didnt say it was necessary for anything. it’s flying ointment. she puts it on her body and the stick. she later is in her hovel laying with the stick.

this isn’t like a big claim at all and i’m far from the first to bring this up as part of the movie. it’s obvious in the scene. i can’t believe this is so controversial, in a horror movie thread of all places.

Edit: Found it. It’s the brief shot right after 8m54s.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 30, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

Evil dies tonight

As it should have done............

40 years ago !!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER

1x1- The Ripper

Kolchak, having been fired from his job in Seattle and now working in Chicago, is interested in what appears to be a fight that took place in a titty bar in Milwaukee.

quote:

May 21st, three AM, across the state line at Wernier’s Boom-Boom room , Michelle Schiff, dancer, whatever, had just done her last number

“Dancer, whatever” Right away, we see Kolchak’s concern for the common folk.

But the killer, wearing a Hammer film-type cape with red lining on the inside, throws several people over the bar and into bottles of liquor as they attempt to stop him from leaving after murdering young Ms. Schiff.

Kolchak, having apparently heard about this through the grapevine, is interested but this happened to a hoo-ah in another city, so… whatever.

quote:

May 24th, 11:30 PM, three days later. Milwaukee, again.

Debbie Fielder, 22, five foot nine, weight 120. Hobbies: breaking horses, and collecting bone china. Debbie wanted to be successful.

She should have settled for being alive.

This woman is killed on the street, and once again, Carl seems interested, but I guess…it’s Milwaukee. Also, something seems a bit off about this Carl Kolchak fellow.

Next we see him in the first of many arguments with his boss, Vincenzo. They are arguing about under what circumstances one can place someone under citizens arrest (?!) but they are then distracted by the overhead El train.

But soon a woman is killed in Chicago, and we sense Kolchak won’t stand for this.

The killer is pursued along the rooftops by Chicago PD, neo-flips down to the street, and bodily shoves his way through a throng of cops, all the while being shot at point-blank range by the snub-nose .38 caliber pistols cops carried back then.

Carl takes many pictures of this, using a Kodak camera, one of those skinny little ones with the cube-type flash
on top that had like four charges.

————————————————

Sorry, I am too drunk to continue and should never have started this in the first place. I apologize.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 30, 2021

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

ThePopeOfFun posted:

lmaoooooooooo ya’ll are too drat much. I knew lube as hyperbole tripped ya’ll up. i didnt say it was necessary for anything. it’s flying ointment. she puts it on her body and the stick.

Oh, word?!?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

MrMojok posted:

Oh, word?!?

I know, right?!?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Just rewatched Halloween 3 season of the witch for the first time in forever. I was born in 1978 and watching this movie was very nostalgic because just soaking in the world of the movie was like reliving parts of my childhood.

I think it's perfectly acceptable sequel to the John Carpenter movie and I would not be surprised to find out that John Carpenter had a hand in directing it. Him writing the score and Dean cundy providing the visuals makes it feel like a piece of John Carpenter Apocrypha.

One thing I think is funny when reading old reviews of this movie is the reviewers couldn't understand the villains motives. Even though the villain takes time to monologue to the protagonist about why he's doing what he's doing.

Apparently the novelization ends with the villain winning but I prefer to think that Atkins was successful even though that wouldn't fit with the feel or theme of the movie.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

PeterCat posted:

Just rewatched Halloween 3 season of the witch for the first time in forever. I was born in 1978

Listen here Jack, us old folks are supposed to know better

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Did a double feature of V/H/S 94 and Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin for movie night.

PA:NoK is a perfectly solid horror movie. It almost feels like a Cloverfield situation where they just slapped in one or two Paranormal Activity things to be able to add it to the franchise.

V/H/S 94 whips rear end. I'll echo the sentiment that the wraparound is absolutely dogshit but the rest is amazing.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

CelticPredator posted:

Their main thesis was the movie took itself too seriously, and I thought it was pretty obviously a farce played straight. The scene where the firefighters all line up with their tools as weapons to fight Michael instead of asking if he's okay (or if they recognize him, running away) was loving hilarious. Especially the circular saw guy. The whole movie has people trying to fight him to hilariously bad results. The one character that runs and hides is the only survivor.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MrMojok posted:

KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER

Hell yeah. I watched an episode of the show as some supplemental spooky for the challenge and it was rad.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Untrustable posted:

Did a double feature of V/H/S 94 and Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin for movie night.

PA:NoK is a perfectly solid horror movie. It almost feels like a Cloverfield situation where they just slapped in one or two Paranormal Activity things to be able to add it to the franchise.

100% agree

Going by what reviews online I went in with low expectations but I had a blast watching it. Felt almost like a VHS segment made into a movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CelticPredator posted:

I’m glad I skipped the RLM review where they poo poo on it for 45 minutes.

Just, always.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
starting to think michael could beat jason in a fight...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

good movie imo

I agree. What did you think about Next Friday and Friday After Next?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CelticPredator posted:

It was pretty bad and I love Mike and Jay typically. It actually made me rethink my stance on Kills, like maybe it wasn't that bad.

I just had sky high hopes after Halloween '18 was so good. H18 felt like DGG really had respect for the source material and wanted to make the most straightforward sequel that did the original justice. Kills felt like DGG was obligated by the studio to make a sequel, knew he had carte blanche to do whatever he wanted with it, and so he just made a movie that would amuse himself and cowriter Danny McBride. It'll probably be a movie that will grow on me on repeat viewings. It just feels way more like an intentional comedy than the previous movie, and I typically like horror comedies so maybe I'll come to appreciate it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For better or worse Halloween Kills is pretty clearly inspired in many ways by the Halloween sequels so it doesn't seem fair to me to say the first film is faithful and the second is "whatever amuses him". Like the bigger point is probably that a lot of people care about the first Halloween so a film that builds off that resonates, while most people just poo poo on the Halloween sequels so a movie that builds off them just kind of gets dismissed as a mess and fan service. But I dunno. I think there's a clear through line here and for whatever you can say about Kills I don't think its random or anything.

God, I'm having Doctor Sleep "I belong to the small audience the guy who made this clearly does too" deja vu.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I know this was a couple pages back but I watch Horror movies hoping to be scared. Unfortunately we’ve all seen it all so many times that it’s really tough for something to still hit that mark.

That said, there was about 90 seconds near the end of Saint Maud that spooked me into some goose pimples yesterday.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ThePopeOfFun posted:

lmaoooooooooo ya’ll are too drat much. I knew lube as hyperbole tripped ya’ll up. i didnt say it was necessary for anything. it’s flying ointment. she puts it on her body and the stick. she later is in her hovel laying with the stick.

this isn’t like a big claim at all and i’m far from the first to bring this up as part of the movie. it’s obvious in the scene. i can’t believe this is so controversial, in a horror movie thread of all places.

Edit: Found it. It’s the brief shot right after 8m54s.

That shot shows her holding the stick and beginning to levitate. I guess if I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt I could say she could be grinding her hips into it, just off screen?

She’s not jerkin it OP.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TheBizzness posted:

I know this was a couple pages back but I watch Horror movies hoping to be scared. Unfortunately we’ve all seen it all so many times that it’s really tough for something to still hit that mark.

That said, there was about 90 seconds near the end of Saint Maud that spooked me into some goose pimples yesterday.

Have you seen Midsommar?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

That shot shows her holding the stick and beginning to levitate. I guess if I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt I could say she could be grinding her hips into it, just off screen?

She’s not jerkin it OP.

don't give them more attention

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

MrMojok posted:

Listen here Jack, us old folks are supposed to know better

Well it's better than Halloween kills.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's the great weekend of spookiness. May you all be blessed/cursed with a wonderful/wicked time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I liked Doctor Sleep and I liked Halloween Kills.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

She’s not jerkin it OP.

Last post on the subject, and I’ll drop it. Here the two shots in question.

nsfw for nude witch

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only nude witch I wanna see is the Love Witch.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you seen Midsommar?

I have!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Talking bout Antlers:

mA posted:

Also the fact that she was able to just walk up to the Wendigo and stab it repeatedly in the heart was a bizarre narrative choice given how powerful, swift and vicious this being is supposed to be. It really felt like they just tried to end it as quickly as possible in order to keep the running time down, when in actuality they could have used another 20 minutes or so for her character development.

I think the idea was that it had just eaten, so it was at its weakest just then, which is why she could take it on. But yeah it seemed a little strange that she could still square off with it mano y mano.

The glowing chest reminded me of ET lol

Overall a decent movie that held my interest but nothing especially noteworthy

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I got an hour into Army of the Dead and what is the deal with all these shallow focus shots?

every 2nd shot has a blurry background...even the shots that have nothing in the foreground.

also immediately noticeable so far that ~95% of Tig Notaro's shots she's by herself and wasn't present for shooting.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Fate Accomplice posted:

I got an hour into Army of the Dead and what is the deal with all these shallow focus shots?

every 2nd shot has a blurry background...even the shots that have nothing in the foreground.

also immediately noticeable so far that ~95% of Tig Notaro's shots she's by herself and wasn't present for shooting.

first movie snyder was his own DP

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. He was shooting his own film, found a toy he liked, and went crazy with it.

For better or worse Army of the Dead (and its seemingly endless spinoff ideas) is a very indulgent affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Last night I watched The Empty Man based on the mildly positive online word of mouth and 76% RT score. I do not recommend The Empty Man.