Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RadioWrexham/status/1454234438968258560

The media is going to condition everyone to blame the French for the brexit issues. How can they keep getting away with this manufactured bullshit time and time again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
With hydrogen solar panels and hydrogen fuel cells, we might finally get something more nature-friendly than combustion engines. Other than trains.

We needed this thirty years ago, but at least there's a theoretical answer now. Hope it scales.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
bloody premier radio wrexham at it again?!?!

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Doccykins posted:

If you are with Bulb for your energy (like me) make sure you have a copy of your latest statement downloaded so when the website goes offline you have proof of the amount of credit in your account when Ofgem transfers you over to the supplier of last resort. If you haven't already started transferring off don't try now as there's a chance your Bulb account closure refund doesn't get processed

but lol at the 7th largest energy supplier (who constantly espouse their green credentials) going to the wall during the governments hosting of an international climate conference

Bulb are too large to go into Supplier of Last Resort - anyone taking on their customers needs to have a spare billion pounds knocking around that they can use to buy gas and power right now for delivery over the next five months. Instead, they'd go into special administration, which is a process that I don't think anyone in the industry fully understands.

When the credit balances are protected, those costs will eventually find their way back into consumers' bills. Everyone should expect to pay somewhere in the region of £30-£50 a year extra starting in April to cover the cost of picking up the pieces based on the supplier failures so far this winter.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
One good thing at the moment, the weather is warmer than a year ago so need for heating less. (Well down here in South Wales anyway).

This time last year we had been having corridor storage heater wars for a month as people would put them on from feeling the cold and others patrolling round at 10pm and surreptiously turning them off again, and others doing another patrol around midnight and putting them back on again. No storage heaters have been put on in the corridors so far!
(I live in an over55s flat and most of the other flat dwellers are in their 80s).

Unrelated:

It's somewhat galling that the tories have had two (and if Liz Truss IS elected leader of the shitbox party 3) woman leaders when Labour haven't managed any apart from a short time with Harriet Harman as acting leader.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

fuctifino posted:

The media is going to condition everyone to blame the French for the brexit issues. How can they keep getting away with this manufactured bullshit time and time again?

I figured that blaming everything on the French was reflexive to the nature of British character.

Like all youse get in a fender bender and then both drivers get out and start screaming the St. Crispen's Day speech at each other.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I have a PEV and it's ace. Illegal as gently caress, but ace.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Real Sinclair posting hours.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If you want a chad for a neighbor, vote labour

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One good thing at the moment, the weather is warmer than a year ago so need for heating less. (Well down here in South Wales anyway).

That's good on a micro level (you save money on heating) but very, very bad on a macro level.

Not just in the general "Literal harbinger of apocalypse" way that unseasonably warm temperatures are, but warm temperatures - particularly warm sea temps - this late into autumn are just fuel for the massive rain storms we've already seen, and the big wind storms[1] that are on the way. The warmer temps also mean there are still a lot of leaves on the trees, which means more wind resistance so lots more downed trees. Losing trees is bad of course, but also the majority of damage in heavy winds in this country is caused by trees falling on things. We slag off building standards in this country, and for good reasons, but if there's one thing we generally have it's a much higher degree of resistance to high winds than most places, especially places that have regular actual hurricanes (and big bad wolves for that matter)

[1] Of course we can't use the word "hurricane" for them because they don't generally start in the tropics, it's political correctness gone made Stu

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

Worth remembering that Macron is a massive oval office himself, and slagging off the British goes down just as well in France as slagging off the French does in England.
And with an election next year, he'll be spending a lot of time punching down at the UK in the next few months.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Thank you so much for this. I am in the extremely fortunate position of being able to afford to pay the penalty, so it's more of a 'pain in the arse' situation rather than 'I can't afford to feed my kids'.

I will try to contest it on the basis that I've not been contacted about it before, but I know the entire system is designed so anyone I speak to will just shrug and say there's nothing they can do, so I am not optimistic.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

We all love heat pump chat, so this article (Electric boilers: a green alternative to heat pumps that no one is talking about) set off my UKMT-sense.

It's basically arguing that for smaller properties, or where it's hard to install the outside units for a heat pump, a straightforward electric boiler might make more sense. Which is fine, except that the per-joule price of doing that is like 3-4x the gas price - which the article handwaves away by saying yes electricity is expensive now, but it might not be in the future thanks to falling renewable costs.

I don't know, just seems silly to me to push these for anything but niche cases, when there's a way of getting more energy out than you put in. Surely for smaller properties, ganging together at the building or district level makes more sense.

Also enjoyed

quote:

But electric boilers are extremely effective, all of the electrical energy they consume is converted into heat, unlike gas boilers, which are only about 95% heat efficient.

Oh no, that will definitely make me want to triple my heating bill!

Also grumpy because we have gas-fired bathroom water, gas-fired air heating, but an electric thingy under the kitchen sink, and the latter is a massive energy guzzler even though we only use it to wash up pans and such.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
They were 3x4 times as expensive. If gas prices keep rising and the tories remove the energy cap, that difference might get much smaller.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All of the electricity might be converted into heat but if the electricity is being produced by burning gas in a gas power plant then it's probably more efficient to just burn the gas to heat your house because gas power plants are apparently about 60% thermally efficient.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you're going down that route though, why not use a mini-split to heat your house and an electric thing to heat your water?

At least then you're only paying the higher amount on a fraction of your required heat.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Alctel posted:

Living on a boat is great, I used to live on a sailboat for 7 years in BC then attempted to sail around the world and got stuck in Mexico originally due to Brexit (I would have been halfway across the pacific when the first deadline was going to pass and as I was using my British passport so I could be an EU citizen and stay longer, I wasn't sure if French Polynesia was going to let me in) and then the next year due to covid so I had to sell my boat off down there, rip

Used to live on a houseboat (a dutch barge) in Pin Mill. Was good. Miss the river. Had the cheapest mooring fees in the UK - £50 a year is what the parents told me, and no additional fees. What we didn't have was mains sewerage (and plans to put it in and proving hookups always came out as too expensive) so the houseboats did discharge directly into the river - river was tidal, so it would go out with the tide.

Don't swim in the river Orwell, folks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like bloody 1984 it is.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Don't swim in any rivers right now really.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Mega Comrade posted:

They were 3x4 times as expensive. If gas prices keep rising and the tories remove the energy cap, that difference might get much smaller.

That’s unlikely to happen while gas fired generators that are maybe 50% efficient are our marginal generators - electricity is always going to be twice as expensive as gas on a p/kWh basis, purely because you need to buy 2 MWh of gas to generate 1 MWh of electricity.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

RDevz posted:

That’s unlikely to happen while gas fired generators that are maybe 50% efficient are our marginal generators - electricity is always going to be twice as expensive as gas on a p/kWh basis, purely because you need to buy 2 MWh of gas to generate 1 MWh of electricity.

I'm not sure I follow this.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Don't swim in any rivers right now really.

The Spirit Of Dark And Lonely Water is hungrier than ever

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Was that Ted Heath's yacht?

No, the other one.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

People were always getting Weil's disease swimming in the river Dee when I was a kid (according to my mum) so I grew up thinking swimming anywhere not a pool filled with chlorine was a terrible idea.

We'd lived in Thailand before then in the early 80s, so I wonder if something from there caused her to think that about all public riverways. Though judging by this thread since poogate, she was pretty spot on.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"Here we go! Here we go! Here we go!..... Here we go! Here we go! Here we go-oh!"

https://twitter.com/BBCScotlandNews/status/1454390427105341441

kingturnip posted:

Worth remembering that Macron is a massive oval office himself, and slagging off the British goes down just as well in France as slagging off the French does in England.
And with an election next year, he'll be spending a lot of time punching down at the UK in the next few months.

Yeah, he's going to be pissing petrol into the fire that Boris has created.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Ah the joys of watching the leaders of the neoliberal / Conservative world performatively dick wave to stoke up their respective bases and distract from the issue of the environment literally filling up with poo poo, wind and fire due to their policies.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
We just had a heat pump and cylinder fitted yesterday (Well, Thurs/Fri). It got all warmed up and promptly switched off so now we have no heating and luke-warm water. The official handover will be Wednesday so nobody has told us how to use it or what to check for, and of course it's bloody Saturday, so everyone's gone to their nice warm homes. The bastards.

Installation cost was £14,950 and the RHI payments come to £14,368 over seven years. Even after taking into account losing the paltry 0.3% interest from not having that money in the bank it's still only going to cost us about £1,000 to swap. Direct Debit for Gas has been cut from £58 to £10 until we know just what the rings on the cooker use.

I reckon it'll be nice once it bloody works.

Edit: Company owner told me he was still waiting on a £10K payment under the last Govt voucher scheme for a job he did in *February*. No wonder the local guys didn't want to get involved.

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 30, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
The British overestimate how much the French public cares about this issue. Macron isn't playing to his domestic audience in this, he's playing a role in the EU.

France is playing bad cop while Germany is playing good cop. That dynamic should be known by now considering how consistent it is. France making more forceful moves now means that other EU nations have also lost trust that normal diplomatic channels can be effective. Hence the "language of force" remark – they don't think strongly worded letters work anymore.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I thought strongly worded letters only worked if you were writing to kfc to complain they forgot your chips and were out of gravy again.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

When in Rome...

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1454154103773335554

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anyone who knows so much of a line of the second verse should be instantly investigated by MI5 as an obvious Russian sleeper agent.

I don't know, "God save us all" is a reasonable sentiment right now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't the 'fall of the Roman Empire' more a bunch of Byzantines lying about how the West had fallen to barbarians as an excuse to start wars against them, which, ironically enough, precipitated something far closer to a collapse?

I'm not sure what the analogy is here, but "we will make it worse" is well within Johnson's core competencies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean from a british perspective there was a fairly definitive shift.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Wasn't the 'fall of the Roman Empire' more a bunch of Byzantines lying about how the West had fallen to barbarians as an excuse to start wars against them, which, ironically enough, precipitated something far closer to a collapse?

I'm not sure what the analogy is here, but "we will make it worse" is well within Johnson's core competencies.

And also a long, drawn out process over nearly 100 years rather than overnight collapse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if it ends up with 74 county ireland that would at least be funny.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Why he in ITaly anyway, I thought he was supposed to be in Scotland?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Confirmed :rip: then

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean from a british perspective there was a fairly definitive shift.

So we'll all just be living in the centuries-old remnants of a globe-spanning empire with no real knowledge of how to keep the infrastructure they left us running?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

they didnt have wikipedia though, we'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So we'll all just be living in the centuries-old remnants of a globe-spanning empire with no real knowledge of how to keep the infrastructure they left us running?

Love this Feersum Endjinn future possibility, except instead of world-spanning computers we'll have decaying HGVs and abandoned Burger Kings.

Actually if it leaned more towards Dark Tower I could at least aspire to being killed by a Gunslinger