Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I really dig Rafe's suggested implication that every ep's gonna have a prologue style cold open that's unconnected to the main episode but pulls back to reveal more of the world/story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They should have added a blue dot over Mats face.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Rarity posted:

Rand's egg mirrors the cage we've seen Logain in so its hinting they're the same, that's what I see anyway :shobon:

That’s what I was thinking. Hurry up and premiere you dang show.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Jedit posted:

Perrin is a wolfbrother, not a bearbrother.

Yeah Perrin is so obviously an Otherkin or maybe furry, if we're doing this.

But that's not to discount the appeal of him in a Tom of Finland leatherman sense.

I did just read the intro to Elyas and he's definitely canonically a furry. Give that man an IT cell/pager.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Invalid Validation posted:

They should have added a blue dot over Mats face.

A cool hat and some lace made out of the weaves for his coat would have worked better I think.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I guess a hangman's noose of weaves would be a little too on the nose

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Gambor posted:

Nah, the prism is around Nynaeve, Egwene has yellow, and Moiraine has red.

Hmm, I guess you're right, I wasn't sure who Nynaeve and Egwane were, but the braided one would have to be Nynaeve. Seems like a real missed opportunity to not do their Ajah's (and Amyrlin) there but eh.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

CainsDescendant posted:

I guess a hangman's noose of weaves would be a little too on the nose neck

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Am I being gaslit? The palette for the moraine, nyn, and egwene posters all match their ajahs. Don't focus on the details so much maybe, it's a blue background, a yellow background, and a green background.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Egwene wasn't green. :science:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Am I being gaslit? The palette for the moraine, nyn, and egwene posters all match their ajahs. Don't focus on the details so much maybe, it's a blue background, a yellow background, and a green background.

Egwene was raised directly to the Amyrlin from accepted, and the Amyrlin is all and no Ajahs, so a rainbow or prisim, like is behind Nynaeve would be a good indicator that.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

aparmenideanmonad posted:

others had the same thought

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yes, this is correct, but Egwene thinks of herself as green and passes as green for several books (though there is the red herring that she might be thinking blue after hanging out with moraine in TSR). She certainly reps battle ajah harder than anyone else, especially in the Seanchan attack. Agreed the prism thing would have been a cool amyrlin easter-egg though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Jaxyon posted:

But that's not to discount the appeal of him in a Tom of Finland leatherman sense.

Eel-Tom of Finnland wearing man-leather

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcS3_LnkYv4

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A mountain above rand would have been good too

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Pretty nice. Wish IGN had given the video a different title, but after the disaster that was their coverage of the teaser trailer, I guess I should be grateful they didn't just smear poo poo all over the screen. :rolleyes:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

jng2058 posted:

Pretty nice. Wish IGN had given the video a different title, but after the disaster that was their coverage of the teaser trailer, I guess I should be grateful they didn't just smear poo poo all over the screen. :rolleyes:

I do agree, but I imagine we'll find out Rand is the Dragon this season, especially with that one pic of him channeling a flame or something.

One of my friends who was a huge ASOIAF fan told me how you need to watch this new Game of Thrones show, starring Sean Bean. I immediately said, "Wait, so he's going to die?" and he couldn't keep a straight face at all. Still loved that first season.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Barreft posted:

I do agree, but I imagine we'll find out Rand is the Dragon this season, especially with that one pic of him channeling a flame or something.

One of my friends who was a huge ASOIAF fan told me how you need to watch this new Game of Thrones show, starring Sean Bean. I immediately said, "Wait, so he's going to die?" and he couldn't keep a straight face at all. Still loved that first season.

People had a lot of fun with Jaime had a hand in this.

I can't imagine that its not revealed by the end of season 1. The primary arc of the books is rand knowing it, rejecting it, coming to terms with it in increasing unhelpful ways and finally committing to it because yeah its alright because I'm doing it for other people and I'm connected to them and not because its this duty that was imposed upon me even though it was.

I think Sanderson understood the conversation/debate with the Dark One as well as he could have but to steal a line from the good place, what do we owe to each other, is the core of that conversation and what Rand fails to understand for most of the books. On a basic level Rand tries to separate himself from people for a bigger purpose. The dark one's vision of the world is people atomised. Libertarians without a common purpose. And that makes them non people as much as making everyone purely altruistic. Which is what Rand is trying to make himself but in an incredibly grim way.

Or at least that's the way I remember the tension of the books.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s such a bad secret to try and keep hidden. Of course the only one of the three boys who doesn’t immediately start becoming a wolf or takes a ride on the dagger train is gonna be the chosen one.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s such a bad secret to try and keep hidden. Of course the only one of the three boys who doesn’t immediately start becoming a wolf or takes a ride on the dagger train is gonna be the chosen one.

Rand starts channeling before Mat finds the dagger or Perrin meets Elyas. Which of course only makes him more obvious as the chosen one.

It actually makes me wonder whether you can catch him doing this on a rewatch or something, what with the weaves being visible on the show. Are the weaves visible to the characters as well? Men and women not being able to see each other's weaves was important several times in the books, inverting weaves was a big advantage the Forsaken had early on, men being able to feel a channeling woman nearby while the reverse wasn't true was also a big deal. I'd think it would make the red ajah's work much easier if everybody could see the weaves, as men able to channel the OP would out themselves pretty quickly.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 30, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

Rand starts channeling before Mat finds the dagger or Perrin meets Elyas. Which of course only makes him more obvious as the chosen one.

It actually makes me wonder whether you can catch him doing this on a rewatch or something, what with the weaves being visible on the show. Are the weaves visible to the characters as well? Men and women not being able to see each other's weaves was important several times in the books, inverting weaves was a big advantage the Forsaken had early on, men being able to feel a channeling woman nearby while the reverse wasn't true was also a big deal. I'd think it would make the red ajah's work much easier if everybody could see the weaves, as men able to channel the OP would out themselves pretty quickly.

He had no idea what he was doing until basically the end of the book when he started seeing the weaves, except for the Choedan Kal outside Caerhien. If they follow the presentation from the book I expect the show won't show weaves for him while playing up Mat speaking the old tongue and Perrin's weirdness with the wolves, along with each of them privately worrying what they're doing is channeling

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Maybe they’ll keep what made the dragon special secret for half the season and just lean in to the stuff like he old blood for egwene/mat to confuse the issue.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeah I doubt the whole "who is the dragon reborn???" thing will last very long. I think its kind of fun that they're trying, I hope it works out.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Since the first three eps all drop Nov 19 and the 4th episode the next week is titled The Dragon Reborn I could see them leaving it as a cliffhanger sort of thing after ep 3 and revealing it in ep 4. That's enough episodes to build some tension about the whole thing early without it hamstringing some of the conflict Rand encounters in the latter half of the first book after the realization.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Doing my first reread in honor of the show and almost done with The Great Hunt. I forgot how fast the Seanchan show up.

Also, lol Egwene went from novice to damane to accepted to dreamwalker then Amyrlin. I forgot my boy Ingtar was a darkfriend :ohdear: at least he died a hero.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

After watching the IGN cast interview I can see why Barney Harris was let go or quit. Dude knows nothing of his character and gives strong douche vibes.

Also the GQ article interviewer said he was chewing energy tablets and mocked her outfit :psyduck:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hexel posted:

Also the GQ article interviewer said he was chewing energy tablets and mocked her outfit :psyduck:

I kinda read the energy tablets thing as a read-between-the-lines hint that it was a drug issue. Maybe he overdosed on set or something.

Past that he seemed to get Mat's character pretty well for the first book at least, but Mat is kindof a douche in the first book so

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I was a bit surprised that the Mat actor even got an interview, but then we don't know when those were shot. Perhaps his firing/resigning came later?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah that sounds a lot like Mat to me

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah somewhere it says those were all shot in 2019.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I kinda read the energy tablets thing as a read-between-the-lines hint that it was a drug issue. Maybe he overdosed on set or something.

Past that he seemed to get Mat's character pretty well for the first book at least, but Mat is kindof a douche in the first book so

yeah i don't wanna speculate too much but it kinda vaguely sounds like maybe he got ousted due to being an rear end in a top hat or having some issues with a few things. the rest of the actors seem pretty hype about the whole thing

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I have a feeling the main boys are gonna be bland as all hell but we’ll see soon enough.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The Maidens of the Spear don't like him either :colbert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJaqj_6WOX8&t=4756s

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hexel posted:

The Maidens of the Spear don't like him either :colbert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJaqj_6WOX8&t=4756s

in a weird way it might be a lucky break, since there's exactly one character that spends the first book mostly literally possessed by an otherworldly force of evil that gets cured and becomes a better person in book 2

would've been way worse if they'd whiffed the casting of rand/egwene/nynaeve/perrin

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

siuan, confused: the daggers power is strong. we did what we could to cleanse it and mat still is as paranoid and manic as ever

mat, trying to stay in front of the mountain of coke on his desk: lol. I mean…i will fight it’s power as best I can.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

CainsDescendant posted:

I guess a hangman's noose of weaves would be a little too on the nose
Mat's Motif should have been a snake, a fox and a raven.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dunno if it's been discussed yet but the marketing seems to he focusing on seven main characters. Thom joins up pretty early, I wonder if he's been minimized or cut out

edit on IMDB, Min has 3 episode credits this season and Thom has 1, lol. was Min even in the first book??

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

i say swears online posted:

dunno if it's been discussed yet but the marketing seems to he focusing on seven main characters. Thom joins up pretty early, I wonder if he's been minimized or cut out

edit on IMDB, Min has 3 episode credits this season and Thom has 1, lol. was Min even in the first book??

Thom gets ganked by the fade at whitebridge, he’s out of the book by about 1/4 of the way through (and it seems like they’re condensing most of that). Then he pops back up in Cairhein in book 2, right? Weird that Min would be in more of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

i say swears online posted:

Rand meets Min in the stableyard at Baerlon. Somebody said somewhere that shes gonna be in Fal Dara on the show so maybe she got an expanded role who knows :shrug:

I guess they started Thoms "clean break" from book 2 early.