Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That horror building would be unconstitutional in Germany I think. If existing laws didn't already make it illegal, of course.

But you don't often find buildings that violate the first article of the constitution, so props for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

One of the residents of my 8-block is threatening me. Where's the closest RA?

I was trying to figure this out too, and it looks like each block of 8x8 has one double-size room for the RA with an extra door into the hall (hence why it's 63 instead of 64). I wonder if all eight RAs per floor work together do supervise their 504 charges or if each pod of 64 devolves into its own little fiefdom.

Edit: wait, maybe that's the one wheelchair-accessible room per pod. Does 1-in-63 accessible rooms meet ADA requirements or state law? How many of the bathrooms are accessible? Is there even enough room to maneuver a wheelchair in the common areas with that stupid table in the middle?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 30, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was serious about taking the guy’s money and turning the place into a library.

The Library of Babel

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

A friend and I were dissecting those floor plans over discord. The response when we realized that thing had 2 food service areas on the roof and no freight elevator, the vendors having to bring food in through the main (and only) elevator column...

Basically "laughter of the damned" but in text form as we're both food service veterans.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The main elevators are convenient.

They have to bring everything through the front door because there’s no loading dock.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Antigravitas posted:

That horror building would be unconstitutional in Germany I think. If existing laws didn't already make it illegal, of course.

But you don't often find buildings that violate the first article of the constitution, so props for that.

I think most countries require some minimum level of actual sunlight per square meter. I know for instance my upstairs neighbor can't install a balcony, because that would block too much sunlight through the window in my bedroom.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Beartaco posted:

quote:

Munger shrugged off charges that billionaires are too influential. “You’ve got to get used to the fact that billionaires aren’t the most popular people in our society,” he told MarketWatch. “I’d rather be a billionaire and not be loved by everybody than not have any money.”

That's fair. Can't imagine any way that can go wrong.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

say what you want about that building but it has like 6 rooms for mechs and that's pretty cool

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I also tried to play the new MS Flight Sim with mouse and keyboard

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/AtNCCH5.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

haveblue posted:

On the other hand, if the plan is to take his $200 mil and then tell him "sorry, we're not allowed to actually build this" and pocket it, more power to them

Spend $190 mil on the framework, hallways, etc. and $5 mil on cardboard interior walls etc. Then, when it gets rejected, use the remaining $5 mil to remove the interior walls and now start looking for investors to convert the project into condos or offices or whatever.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Is that the Fulton? Despite how scary it looks it was apparently pretty effective the few times it was used.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
I say build it "to scale"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The plane reminded me of a story I listened to about an endurance flight that was refueled by the plane flying near the ground at 60 mph and filling its tanks via a hose from a truck driving along beside it. The refueler sat on the wing during this time. The plane would stall if it flew any slower and the truck couldn't drive any faster.

There's a bit about one of the pilots falling asleep and waking up who knows where a couple of hours later.

https://www.damninteresting.com/the-unceasing-cessna-hacienda/

Whole thing was worth the read or listen.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

RatHat posted:

Is that the Fulton? Despite how scary it looks it was apparently pretty effective the few times it was used.

but it's the older, less popular non-wormhole model.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Hacienda stunt was crazy.

Ending spoilers kind of: the engine eventually just got so worn that it wasn’t making enough power to climb at a safe rate/angle.

I have to respect that it’s just such a physically and mentally taxing record that no one is interested in breaking it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Make Kowloon Walled City Great Again

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Platystemon posted:

I was serious about taking the guy’s money and turning the place into a library.

The Library of Babel

Given how bad everyone's mental health will be, I suspect it'll be closer to the Library of Turin soon.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

I think those are anti-tank mines, so you could probably step on one by accident and not blow up? Maybe?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
There's a town in Alaska where everyone lives in one building of 200 apartments.

It's possible to go months without setting foot outside..

Particularly interesting is the amount of surrounding infrastructure- the rest of the town area is public service buildings, docks, railroad facilities and the like.

Mega-lovely One seems to lack any of those things. No loading dock? No freight elevator? Lol

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

I dont think the floor plans between levels on their mastabatory presentation are even consistent with each other. They have trash elevators on the north west side of the ground floor, but no elevator passages on any floor above.

https://www.dfss.ucsb.edu/sites/default/files/docs/dcs/DRC%20Meeting%20Packet%2010.05.21.pdf
Page 57: lifts
Page 59 and 64: ???

E: They also show a bunch of small utility chases in the diagram on page 60 that have almost no correspondence to the mechanical spaces on the ground floor on page 57. I guess everything spider webs out above ceiling between the ground floor and first residential floor? Are confined space permits required everything a guy has to go crawling around above ceiling to maintain all this stuff?

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 30, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Uncle Enzo posted:

I am one of the two bathrooms for 8 adults to get ready each day in

You are going to be so f*cked the first time Norovirus sweeps through that building.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Comstar posted:

I think those are anti-tank mines, so you could probably step on one by accident and not blow up? Maybe?

Supposedly if you jumped down on one with enough force then it might do. Just stepping on one wouldn't, unless they are also booby trapped against tampering.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Comstar posted:

Who wants to be the test case?

Legend in the Bundeswehr Panzerpioneers has it a Feldwebel got tired of his soldiers being too slow working with the AT mines.

"Goddammit! It's not made of porcelain! It's very simple: grab the plate, pull, twist, release, then throw it on the ground like so! I'm not a tank, look, I can even stomp on i-"BOOOOOOM!

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Karia posted:

Given how bad everyone's mental health will be, I suspect it'll be closer to the Library of Turin soon.

At least he had the foresight to put the counseling department on the same floor that the students will be jumping from.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Turns out the actual rooms are 7' x 10'. This is about the same size as a standard solitary confinement cell.

Look, I may not be able to store my hockey pads, but at least there's room for my surfboard!

"Each inmate is assigned their own 7-by-12 foot cell, where they spend roughly 23 hours alone each day. The cells (and everything in them, including the sink-toilet, shower, desk, and bed) are forged from concrete." "...Each cell reportedly has a 4-inch-wide window. " "...Lawyers, criminal justice advocates, investigators, former inmates, and even former employees agree: the space is made to detain people who are no longer considered fully human."

From article on ADX Florence, the supermax prison, which seems almost preferable to ADX Munger

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"Each inmate is assigned their own 7-by-12 foot cell, where they spend roughly 23 hours alone each day. The cells (and everything in them, including the sink-toilet, shower, desk, and bed) are forged from concrete." "...Each cell reportedly has a 4-inch-wide window. " "...Lawyers, criminal justice advocates, investigators, former inmates, and even former employees agree: the space is made to detain people who are no longer considered fully human."

From article on ADX Florence, the supermax prison, which seems almost preferable to ADX Munger

A window? A bigger room? My own toilet, sink, and shower? What is this, a dorm for college students?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zopotantor posted:

You are going to be so f*cked the first time Norovirus sweeps through that building.

Lmao yep

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

An RA dips his fingers in fetid poo poo and smears a line of it on my forehead.

"Billionares are much maligned" he murmurs.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

Most modern anti-vehicle mines have magnetic triggers too. Don't want to bring metal too close to them either.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Uncle Enzo posted:

Mega-lovely One seems to lack any of those things. No loading dock? No freight elevator? Lol

Ngl Peach Trees from the Judge Dredd film looks more appealing than that building.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Uncle Enzo posted:

There's a town in Alaska where everyone lives in one building of 200 apartments.

It's possible to go months without setting foot outside..

Particularly interesting is the amount of surrounding infrastructure- the rest of the town area is public service buildings, docks, railroad facilities and the like.

I always thought that the "one-building town" made a lot of sense in some of the regions that get hit hard during winter. Less roads that need clearing, less surface area to lose heat, etc.

Probably less exciting during summer, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

Ngl Peach Trees from the Judge Dredd film looks more appealing than that building.

Plus you can buy cool drugs from Cersei

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The mining town of Fermont in northern Quebec has an interesting building of the kind called "the wall". The town is far enough North to be blown on by constantly strong winds during very cold winters, so they have designed this sort of self-contained complex:

1. primary school
2. health center
3. fire station
4. sports center. I found an old article that said this used to be a curling ice arena but it closed down, no idea what function it serves now
5. municipal pool
6. daycare center, shopping mall
7. 440 units, ranging from studios to 5 room apartments
8. hotel
9. ~800 houses that are protected by the building.

Unsurprisingly, they call it "the wall" because it's one big windbreak of a building:

They have infrastructures for a town of 10,000-15,000 people.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 30, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Do they also have hot oil and a cartoonishly large anchor that they use to repel invaders?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
That munger building looks like it was designed to increase the suicide rate by causing depression from lack of sunlight.

Santa Barbara / Goleta is a beautiful beach town and if you are living in a sunless prison cell there you are absolutely wasting your money.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

madeintaipei posted:

An RA dips his fingers in fetid poo poo and smears a line of it on my forehead.

"Billionares are much maligned" he murmurs.

Ok so we know who would be this building's Constructor, but who will be its Razer?

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 30, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Just iamgine 4500 students trying to move in to that building. Or move out?

Like do they give each student 5 minutes to move in and run the move in/out for 24 hours a day?

"ok, you have from 3:47-3:52 AM Sunday morning, if you take longer than this, you will be charged a penalty of 100 dollars per minute."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Reminder: there’s no freight elevator.