Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Really hope they tweak the length of daylight at some point. The more I play, the shorter it seems to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

Really hope they tweak the length of daylight at some point. The more I play, the shorter it seems to get.

Well it is almost winter. The clocks will be switching soon which should help.

Really though you’ll have to wait till spring.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I definitely wouldn’t mind some kind of option to adjust the length of days/nights. 7 Days to Die has an option to increase/decrease day length as well as how much time 24 hours itself takes (so you can have super long days but even a shorter night will take some time if 24 hours takes a while) and it’s a good set of options.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Pretty sure there's a mod for that, or you can at least use sktoolbox and use /tod to set time back a few hours or freeze it for a while.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

I just wiped out a Fuling village without firing a shot. I found one of those Dragur meadows villages practically on top of it. So I opened all the barn doors, ran through the fulings a time or two, hopped up on a building roof and watched. Fulings won't directly attack body piles so Dragur keep spawning until the fulings are all black metal scrap. RARRRR! and all the entrails I could want!

This is now my favorite thing. I hope I find another.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Just got the game in the sale and am trying to come in as blind as I can.

I checked the first few and last few pages without luck so: any good, spoiler free tips and tricks from you goons?

I've been building a longhouse kind of thing near a purple glowing fire after killing a shaman and plucking out his eye as my first structure and it is :black101:

Can you repair tools? Or recycle broken ones? I'm on my fourth stone axe.

Does crafting pull from chests nearby, or do you need a mod for that?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

WebDO posted:

I checked the first few and last few pages without luck so: any good, spoiler free tips and tricks from you goons?

I've been building a longhouse kind of thing near a purple glowing fire after killing a shaman and plucking out his eye as my first structure and it is :black101:

Repairing is free, you repair buildings with hammer as long as the workshop required for building is available and you repair tools by using the workbench (needs to ve covered to use it)

The repair is an icon left of the build menu, outsude the main build/uograde frame- this is the most common issue people run in to.

Well rested buff is ALWAYS worth it, and you can often skip rainstorms by going to bed. Whilst sleeping most resource refinings continue in quicktime abd crops and plants grow.

Build your base on coast, But do not build a raft unless you have to. 99% of the time the world generator does not require you to sail until you have a proper boat available.

Fence in your base with the palisade just to break line-of-sight, this gives you much more peace of mind.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 29, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

WebDO posted:

You need a mod to pull from chests unfortunately.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Wait, "purple glowing fire"? The only thing I can think of that fits that description in the wild is an enemy spawner.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

WebDO posted:

Your questions were answered, so more general tips:

- Don't worry about the location of your first base too much, you can go find a better spot and use the lessons from your first shacks to build a better base after the first little section.

- If you explore a long way from your home base, it's a good idea to build a tiny shack with a bed so you can set a respawn point in case you die. Not an issue right away, but a good habit to build.

- The easiest way to rest is to sit down (x I think?) next to a fire. Being "sheltered" under a roof is also good.

- Pick everything up and chuck it in a chest as you go. Build more chests whenever you need them.

- (later) when you get to the first metal ore, the deposits are like icebergs---you can see a bit on the surface, but most of the ore is under the dirt.

- (later) Sometimes you'll want to craft a basic small item to reveal additional recipes that use it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wait, "purple glowing fire"? The only thing I can think of that fits that description in the wild is an enemy spawner.

To be fair, building close enough to it should stop it from working; I found that out first hand with another type of spawner. (Namely, I made a "coal mine" out of three surtling spawners in the swamp. But I built the portal shack too close to one of them and no surtlings ever spawned from that one until I rebuilt the shack a bit further away.)

Still, pretty bold to have your first base in the Black Forest. :black101: indeed.

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

WebDO posted:

Being rested is very important, a couple roof tiles and a fire go a long way.

Levels/skills don't matter all that much so don't stress dying, progression is primarily about your gear and having access to the next tier of food.

Trenches or earthen walls are the best defenses when you just want to keep the enemies from wrecking your buildings. Combine small trenches/choke points/spike traps for free resources at night while you mine or harvest lumber.

Torches/fires panic a lot of the enemy types so you can place those around you at night as well to help out.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I know they patched it so that when fires hurt something they get damaged too, but I still want to figure out a "farm" using death by smoke around a Greydwarf spawner.

Not even because I want a way to farm stone and wood, just because I want to see if I can.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

WebDO posted:

I'm someone that typically doesn't like using mods, especially on initial playthroughs, but I would absolutely recommend getting the mod to do this. Having to swap inventory around is a colossal pain when you are in the middle of big building and crafting projects.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Finally got around to sailing to the elder location. Mined an ocean blob on the way. I was pleased to find that the elder pad was on the tip of elevated land next to the ocean, and a well preserved stone tower like 40 feet from the slab.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Trip report:

Purple fire Greydwarf Spawner was solved with a crude bow and an axe.

I've built up a two story longhouse with a palisade wall on top of a hill overlooking the coast at an intersection of meadows, mountains, and black forest. I took advantage of the bow and am in trollskin.

I finally hunted his kin, at two different locations, and now might have an ability I have no idea how to activate? Is there any way to mount trophies for decoration since I have an extra kickin' rad deer head?

Some forays into the woods and some lucky skellington crypts later and I had enough materials to make a smelter but I still need the kiln. Working on building a cart path through the woods to the several copper nodes I've found, looks like a bronze axe is going to get me moving towards the next tech tree wood.

I'm guessing building with stone comes later, kind of a bummer I can't dismantle and reuse the abandoned towers I have found but one of them on a copper deposit is now an emergency outpost.

More questions:
How does building actually mechanically work? I've tried using posts and beams and things but it seems like a two story wood building with two story wood walls each can only take 26° thatch without hitting a height limit and collapsing. I think I have a support beam structure that is helping but I'm not really sure. It feels more like luck if the roof stays up.

How does pathing versus leveling the ground even work? I'll make a huge swath of road for my cart, then suddenly the level ground tool decides to make a cliff. A gentle down gradient is surprisingly hard to make.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

WebDO posted:

Trip report:

I've built up a two story longhouse with a palisade wall on top of a hill overlooking the coast at an intersection of meadows, mountains, and black forest. I took advantage of the bow and am in trollskin.

I finally hunted his kin, at two different locations, and now might have an ability I have no idea how to activate? Is there any way to mount trophies for decoration since I have an extra kickin' rad deer head?

Some forays into the woods and some lucky skellington crypts later and I had enough materials to make a smelter but I still need the kiln. Working on building a cart path through the woods to the several copper nodes I've found, looks like a bronze axe is going to get me moving towards the next tech tree wood.

I'm guessing building with stone comes later, kind of a bummer I can't dismantle and reuse the abandoned towers I have found but one of them on a copper deposit is now an emergency outpost.

More questions:
How does building actually mechanically work? I've tried using posts and beams and things but it seems like a two story wood building with two story wood walls each can only take 26° thatch without hitting a height limit and collapsing. I think I have a support beam structure that is helping but I'm not really sure. It feels more like luck if the roof stays up.

How does pathing versus leveling the ground even work? I'll make a huge swath of road for my cart, then suddenly the level ground tool decides to make a cliff. A gentle down gradient is surprisingly hard to make.

I have yet to figure out how to activate boss abilities. I THINK it is supposed to be the f button, but has never worked for me.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
It's f, yeah. Did you first mount the boss trophy on the set of stones where you originally started and then interact with it to activate that particular power?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

WebDO posted:

Trip report:

More questions:

F activates powers

Building materials have strength and the color of a placed build piece when you highlight it while holding the hammer represents its stability from blue (connected to ground) to dark red (the next piece wont stay). Build a thing like you would IRL, with frames and supports.

Leveling has two modes: click to level under the circle to be like where you are standing, and shift+click to level under the circle to be like how it is at the center of the circle (sort of). To change the grade of an incline, I like to stand at the low side of the hill, and shift click from the high ground to the low ground.

concise fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 30, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

WebDO posted:

There is, you'll unlock Item Stands soon, but you need to get a tiny bit further down the tech tree first, they're built with bronze nails.

quote:

It does and it's a bit silly. But be sure to chop some of the Pine trees in the black forest if you haven't already (I suspect you have), to get Core Wood, which is a very useful material for bigger buildings.

quote:

More questions:

It's based on tracing path lengths to the ground (and not say, the weight of things built on top of it), so you should actually start with the frame alone if you know roughly what shape you're building. One thing to do is make very sure your frame is actually connected to the ground at the bottom points, the bottom piece should be blue when you look at it with the hammer in repair mode.

quote:

Pathen removes the light vegetation to make a path texture, but leaves the terrain unchanged. Level Ground levels to the level of your feet by default, while shift-clicking levels to the level your cursor is on, such is basically the key to getting gentle gradient slopes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

concise posted:

Building materials have strength and the color of a placed build piece when you highlight it while holding the hammer represents its stability from blue (connected to ground) to dark red (the next piece wont stay). Build a thing like you would IRL, with frames and supports.

This is not entirely accurate. Stability is based on number of pieces to the ground. Meaning, the amount of connecting pieces you have to follow to hit ground level determines structural strength. Different materials have different strengths that get factored into the calculation, too. But yeah, making realistic bracing and support will usually work, but not for the reason you think.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you're able to (can't on a server that isn't yours of course), I highly recommend installing SKToolbox and using the /tl command to do your leveling. The hoe is so drat wonky.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

The hoe is so drat wonky.

Thread title

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WebDO posted:

To get the power you need to take the boss trophy back to the stove circle you started the game at (it’ll be on your map) and mount it on the hook for that boss. You then touch the mount and it’ll give you the power. Same for all the other bosses. You can only have one power at a time.

As for building:

Everything is based off of material type, vertical, and horizontal distance. If you put a wood pole into the ground it will be marked blue. Blue means that piece of structure is at maximum “stability” and generally means it is attached to a piece of the world - the ground, a rock, or a tree. Side note, any part of a tree trunk gives maximum stability to what you attach to it so you can build tree houses.

As soon as something is built and not attached to the “world” it loses stability. So a wood pole on top of that first wood pole would now be green. Build a wood pole on top of that wood pole and it’ll be yellow. This also applies to building horizontally. As long as something is still standing and hasn’t collapsed automatically (it can sometimes take a few seconds to calculate everything though) it will stay up as long as something doesn’t change around it. However as soon as a component is dark orange or red you’re not going to be able to attach something else to it without risk of collapse.

So what this means is that building rafters and poles and beams to support a structure doesn’t actually do anything if all that stuff is at a low stability in the first place or if things start at the same point. A 26 degree wood beam does nothing to help support a 26 degree thatch roof if both of those pieces are attached to the same point because they are made out of the same material and start at the same stability.

However basic wood is not the old material type that you can make into building components. You’ll get access to 3 more over the course of progression and they’ll provide better/different amounts of vertical/horizontal stability from each other. For a start once you have a bronze axe maybe hit some pine trees in the Black Forest and see what comes out.

Remember to grab anything that looks like it can be grabbed and check anything that stands out from the background. It took me an embarrassing long time to figure out that flint, white stones found near water, was a thing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm pretty sure you can cut down pines and get core wood with a stone axe, it's fine wood that's gated behind a bronze axe or other various ways of bringing down trees.

e: vvvvv not going to lie, I forgot stone/flint axes are even different since I have usually bee-lined to flint anyway.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 30, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A Stone Axe will not chop pine trees, but a Flint Axe will. I think you need Core Wood to make a Bronze Axe anyway.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Huh, never actually tried before getting the bronze axe. It’s the first thing I always made.

I actually just remembered that you can get a very small amount of core wood from those little sleeping huts you can find in the meadows. Not the small houses or the towers, the ones you could only ever lie down under. The roof is plain thatch but the poles at the front are core wood.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

PittTheElder posted:

A Stone Axe will not chop pine trees, but a Flint Axe will. I think you need Core Wood to make a Bronze Axe anyway.

A stone axe cuts pine trees just fine, the only functional difference between stone and flint is that the latter is a bit more effective.
EDIT: Well, and that you can make a stone axe without a workbench.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 30, 2021

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
All this building chat reminds me I've been meaning to show y'all my projects.

Screenshots do a terrible job showing things well so I want to take some short videos. What's the go-to video capture tool these days?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Yep, that is a little tiny swamp at the southern tip, and a river ravine (fjord?) up the SW edge.

The ocean is on the far side of the elder altar when viewed from the top of the intact tower.

Would the elder be able to reach me on top of the tower, or would it be able to damage the tower? Was considering putting the portal up there if not underneath the slab.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Is anybody running OdinArchitect and ValheimPlus together? Something in my modlist is causing only the first chunk of vegetation you start on in a world to be rendered with the rest of the world being completely bare. I'd like to play with some new building pieces but ValheimPlus replaces like a dozen smaller QoL mods so I don't want to drop it. I'm thinking it may actually be the Jotunn Library on which Odin is dependent because I know V+ broadly overwrites any group of settings it touches.

Alternatively, anyone try to make their own mods? It seems like most are changing a single value or editing a JSON so it would be nice to just replace the stuff in V+ I want and hopefully improve compatibility with other mods.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hasselblad posted:

Would the elder be able to reach me on top of the tower, or would it be able to damage the tower? Was considering putting the portal up there if not underneath the slab.

The Elder has a ranged attack that really does a number on anything destructible I've seen it hit, I'm pretty sure it would also chew through that tower really quickly.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Nordick posted:

The Elder has a ranged attack that really does a number on anything destructible I've seen it hit, I'm pretty sure it would also chew through that tower really quickly.

Hmmm. Well, I really don't care all that much about boss fights, so I guess I will just cheese it and fight from underneath the slab. Just want to get past him for the upgrades.

In unrelated, I am excited to get portals up and running, not because I hate travel but more because days are too friggin short and I seem to average half of a night dealing with storms each trip.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 30, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Honestly, just keep some distance and plink him with fire arrows till he dies. Any "cheesing" methods will likely take more time and effort to prep for than you'd actually save compared to just fighting him.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Nordick posted:

Honestly, just keep some distance and plink him with fire arrows till he dies. Any "cheesing" methods will likely take more time and effort to prep for than you'd actually save compared to just fighting him.

Well, I fully intend to utilize the slab as part of a build, so it's work that would get done regardless.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Hasselblad posted:

Hmmm. Well, I really don't care all that much about boss fights, so I guess I will just cheese it and fight from underneath the slab. Just want to get past him for the upgrades.

In unrelated, I am excited to get portals up and running, not because I hate travel but more because days are too friggin short and I seem to average half of a night dealing with storms each trip.

All But I think 2? Bosses have a ranged attack that chews through the scenery (which is awesome) so I advice not fighting near anything you dont want to see destroyed. Boss 4 is maybe the most fearsome in this, and the battlescars in the terrain look like there was actually, you know, a boss fight.

You can use summoning multiple boss 1s as a lumber grinding party If you dont mind the disco once you have high enough level food/gear to negate the damage.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nordick posted:

Any "cheesing" methods will likely take more time and effort to prep for than you'd actually save compared to just fighting him.

Yeah exactly, both for this boss and in general for this game.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Welp, I didn't exactly end up cheesing him, unless you count standing out of range while he stood still, and continually pummeled him with arrows The shaman never showed up to heal him, so eh. He dead.

I got a little too close to my tower and he poked a hole in it, which is fine as I needed a ground level window.

By the by, I got epic loot to work. I think trying to boot from the mod manager was causing it to run in non-vulkan mode. Once I manually installed and boot directly from steam (in vulkan) it runs nicely. Now to build a shrine so I can trash the junk magic loot like hammers.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do tombs respawn now or still no?

After I learned they don't respawn skeletons I always made them my portal bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t believe any crypt, tomb, or cave respawns outside of stuff like mushrooms but I don’t think I’ve checked recently.